Forums > Critique > One picture

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

Hi everyone,
So after reading about Yongnuo flashes in the photography forum, and a few years without touching a flash, I decided to buy two 600EX RT's.  Anyway, after like 3 weeks of waiting they finally arrived so I went to the beach today with a friend and I took one of them with me so I could learn how to use it and to test it out.  Below is the result of that.  I want to know what you think, and if you're a photographer or know anything about flashes and can give me some tips i would greatly appreciate it.  Like i said, it's been a few years since I touched a flash and even though I watched a couple of videos on this specific flash it doesn't mean I'm a master at it.  Thanks!

https://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y508/YajhilAlvarez/dyh_zpsinjkyvqb.jpg

Jun 24 15 09:43 pm Link

Photographer

Rik Williams

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

It's too flat in it's current form Yajhil

That may be partially from the retouching and combination of the flash, I'm not entirely sure.

I can only suggest you experiment with your settings and direction of light a little more.

Jun 24 15 11:53 pm Link

Photographer

Lee_Photography

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

When I look at the photo the first indication of light direction is the shadow under her nose, which looks like butterfly lighting, all be it a bit longer of a shadow then one might desire. Tilting the head up could shorten it and then changing the camera angle. Since you shot this in what looks like full sun will assume you were using your flash for fill light.
Her face seems to have a lighting gradient across it from top to bottom, with the top part [from bottom of nose up brighter] and darker from bottom of nose down.
So for me the lighting is not quite there, I think you are on the right path although.
Understand this was a test shot, but like trees growing out of heads you have a pole protruding from her bum, all the weight is on her left shoulder which is shortening the length of her neck, wish the feet were not in the frame.

I wish you well

Jun 25 15 04:01 am Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

Thanks everyone!  The flash was off on a light stand to the left and she was under an umbrella in full shade.  To get a better idea of the scene here is one of us I took together for fun doing crazy smiles:

https://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y508/YajhilAlvarez/rtuy_zpswspnijsg.jpg

The pole you see is the umbrella pole.  I left it in the first picture because after trying to slide up and down on the sand to avoid it being in the middle of her butt, i just gave up and decided to frame it as low on her butt as i could without losing the composition I wanted to get.  So yeah, that's what was happening.

For the shadow on her nose, I had the flash pretty high up.  If I had lowered the light stand and maybe moved the stand a little to the right that would've been better nose shadow-wise, right?  I couldn't really see her very well because I exposed for the background first and then filled her in with the flash.  I was so focused on filling her in enough that I didn't pay as much attention to the shadow as I should have.

Jun 25 15 05:35 am Link

Photographer

DespayreFX

Delta, British Columbia, Canada

I agree, it's a little flat, but that's a lot better than being overexposed because of your fill light. Those Yongnuo's are great, I'm sure you'll have them figured out in no time, I have a few of them, and love them (and at the price I should have 10!). I'm also using the 622c triggers and remotes, which are also really good (although I find the dumb switch on the controller gets pushed to "on" in my bag a lot, so I have to always remember to take out the batteries when I'm done!). Since this was a flash test, I'll skip the critique, except to say it's nice to see that other ppl leave trees in heads/poles in butts sometimes too. smile

Jun 25 15 07:03 am Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

DespayreFX wrote:
I agree, it's a little flat, but that's a lot better than being overexposed because of your fill light. Those Yongnuo's are great, I'm sure you'll have them figured out in no time, I have a few of them, and love them (and at the price I should have 10!). I'm also using the 622c triggers and remotes, which are also really good (although I find the dumb switch on the controller gets pushed to "on" in my bag a lot, so I have to always remember to take out the batteries when I'm done!). Since this was a flash test, I'll skip the critique, except to say it's nice to see that other ppl leave trees in heads/poles in butts sometimes too. smile

Yeah I had a Canon flash, I believe it was the 430 EX II, used it once just to made sure it worked and then I never touched it again.  As soon as I read the post about how cheap the Yongnuo's are and how good they are I sold my Canon on craigslist and then ordered 2 of the 600's for the same price i sold it for.  I also have 2 622c triggers.  So far I'm very happy with everything.

I think the reason she looks flat is because I didn't use an umbrella on us, I just used the flash by itself with no diffuser, and we both have shinny ass skin so I might have gone overboard toning that down in Photoshop.  As for the pole, well I knew that was an issue immediately but like i said the middle would have been worse, that really looked like my friend was getting banged by the umbrella pole, so I had to make a decision and I made it lol.  When I was taking them I just told myself i would photoshop them out if need be but since this is a test I didn't bother.  Thanks for the help!

Jun 25 15 10:30 am Link

Photographer

cheshiredave

Oakland, California, US

Good luck with the Yongnuos. I bought a couple from Amazon -- one was DOA out of the box, the other broke almost immediately. My Canon flashes have lasted years and thousands of shots.

You will want to bring an umbrella with you -- and someone to keep the whole thing from falling over or blowing away. Take it from me -- the Yongnuo will probably not survive even a small mishap. Don't even trust a sandbag to do the job, even if the wind is light.

And best of luck with this new photo adventure!

Jun 25 15 12:31 pm Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

cheshiredave wrote:
Good luck with the Yongnuos. I bought a couple from Amazon -- one was DOA out of the box, the other broke almost immediately. My Canon flashes have lasted years and thousands of shots.

You will want to bring an umbrella with you -- and someone to keep the whole thing from falling over or blowing away. Take it from me -- the Yongnuo will probably not survive even a small mishap. Don't even trust a sandbag to do the job, even if the wind is light.

And best of luck with this new photo adventure!

Thanks!  Yeah I should've brought an umbrella with me.  As for the flashes, I purchased the 2 year warranty from B&H when I bought them.  Squaretrade has always been good to me so if anything happens off they'll go to get fixed.  So far so good.  I still need to abuse them a bit lol.  We shall see.

Jun 25 15 12:41 pm Link