Forums > Photography Talk > What is your photography dream job?

Photographer

Carlo P Mk2

Los Angeles, California, US

You know those pre-loaded images in the Photos app of every single Apple device in Apple stores? Yeah I wanna be that photographer.

Carlo Parducho
www.carloparducho.net

Sep 14 15 01:30 pm Link

Photographer

tcphoto

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I started my photo career shooting fashion but chose not to move to NYC, Miami or LA and ended up shooting food. I shoot for national restaurants, editorial and people from time to time. I would love to shoot cookbooks, it would let me combine my specialty and include people images in lifestyle settings.

Sep 14 15 03:15 pm Link

Photographer

BCADULTART

Boston, Massachusetts, US

After working as a photographer and photojournalist for three decades, my "dream job"
is one that the client hires me to shoot, paying my day rate X5, buyout or $12,000 per day
Plus expenses and the client is organized, models arrive on time, makeup is done quickly,
wardrobe is perfect.  Shoot goes off on schedule.  Images delivered and client writes a check
on delivery of finished images.

You did say "Dream" didn't you?

Sep 18 15 10:21 pm Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

BCADULTART wrote:
After working as a photographer and photojournalist for three decades, my "dream job"
is one that the client hires me to shoot, paying my day rate X5, buyout or $12,000 per day
Plus expenses and the client is organized, models arrive on time, makeup is done quickly,
wardrobe is perfect.  Shoot goes off on schedule.  Images delivered and client writes a check
on delivery of finished images.

You did say "Dream" didn't you?

If my clients even paid within 90 days without me chasing them around that would be a dream.  I would probably hunt down more commercial jobs if they paid within a reasonable time.

Sep 19 15 02:45 am Link

Photographer

Shashinka Ichiban

Washington, District of Columbia, US

To answer the OP: One that is a paid gig where the check doesn't bounce, or hell, one when they actually pay the freaking invoice on time.

Sep 24 15 03:33 am Link

Photographer

Mike Collins

Orlando, Florida, US

It's changed over the years.  My career started with pretty much a dream job.  I worked for an ad agency as their in house shooter.  I had a beautiful studio, all the equipment I needed and worked on national and international ads.  Times change.  Agencies go  under.  You move on.

Been doing a lot of portrait work these past few years and admire the greats like Karsh and Charis and even more so modern portrait painters like John Singer Sargent,  John Sanden and Everett Raymond Kinstler.  So much so I won't to be able to somehow create photographic portraits in their style.  That's my current dream. 

But hell, in this day and age, I just hope to be able to keep working.  This is not the easiest career to be in or stay in these days.  It's always been a lot of hard work.  But not like this.

Sep 24 15 06:06 am Link

Photographer

Images By Cynthia

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Phoenix Digital Image wrote:
What type of photographer would you be if you could do it full time?

I'd be a sports photographer shooting multiple sports at the professional and college level.

Definitely a photographer for National Geographic!! Would love to have trips paid for around the world and capturing amazing things with my camera!

Sep 24 15 01:25 pm Link

Photographer

BCADULTART

Boston, Massachusetts, US

I'd like to amend what I wrote above about the "dream job".  It is not about money, it is about images, documenting a moment in time.  I currently work as a photographer every day.  In the 80's & 90's I was working on assignment for TIME, NEWSWEEK, U.S. NEW & WORLD REPORT, FORTUNE, FORBES, etc.  I was making good, sometimes great images on deadine and my stock library's license those images every day,  Steve Jobs is one of my best sellers.

I LOVE a great still image and I am saddened to see the license fees paid by publishers.  I am also saddened to see the ill legal use or publication of images (published or posted on the web without payment or permission of the copyright holder, I.E. the photographer)

It is a very difficult time to be a working photographer, It was easier in the early 80's

Sep 27 15 09:14 pm Link

Photographer

FBY1K

North Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Not really a job but assignments. I want to shoot Mosh and Sasha Pivovarova; I'd be set for a good while. smile

FBY

Sep 28 15 08:41 am Link

Photographer

Gallery 59 Photography

Los Angeles, California, US

I always wanted to be a rock photographer in the late 60's and into the 70's, like Neil Preston or Ross Halfin. Covering major rock bands on world tours, behind the scenes stuff, and the infamous shenanigans of the Sunset Strip during it's heyday.

Currently I'd love to be an NHL photographer.

Sep 28 15 01:22 pm Link