This thread was locked on 2015-07-09 06:00:21
Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Satanism. Is it a religion?

Photographer

SAND DIAL

Santa Monica, California, US

Jul 08 15 08:59 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

Using the literal definition of the terms, there can be do doubt that Satanism is as much a religion as any other deity-worshipping doctrine.

But it sounds like you're asking if it's a VALID religion, and I won't touch that with a ten foot pole.

Also, if you want to have an intelligent discourse, don't start with a Fox News link. That's bad form right there. You may as well says 'Bill Mahar said...', or any other polarizing talking head.

Jul 08 15 09:08 pm Link

Photographer

Jim Ball

Frontenac, Kansas, US

Zack Zoll wrote:
Using the literal definition of the terms, there can be do doubt that Satanism is as much a religion as any other deity-worshipping doctrine.

But it sounds like you're asking if it's a VALID religion, and I won't touch that with a ten foot pole.

Also, if you want to have an intelligent discourse, don't start with a Fox News link. That's bad form right there. You may as well says 'Bill Mahar said...', or any other polarizing talking head.

Is there any such thing as a valid religion?  All religions are myth - in the eyes of those who follow another religion, or no religion.  Viewpoint is everything.

Jul 08 15 09:27 pm Link

Photographer

Lovely Day Media

Vineland, New Jersey, US

IBTL popcorn

Jul 08 15 09:39 pm Link

Photographer

Chris Rifkin

Tampa, Florida, US

The AFLAC duck is my lord and savior.
I worship little white ducks that say quack

Just saying

Jul 08 15 10:06 pm Link

Photographer

Jim Ball

Frontenac, Kansas, US

Chris Rifkin wrote:
The AFLAC duck is my lord and savior.
I worship little white ducks that say quack

Just saying

lol

Although Atheist, I will admit to having once worshiped at the gates of Heaven.  I wish I had a picture of Heaven, she was stunning and her gates looked good enough to eat  - so I did....a lot......

Jul 08 15 10:11 pm Link

Photographer

NothingIsRealButTheGirl

Los Angeles, California, US

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-YHIqVjMZ1TE/U5T84NbSkVI/AAAAAAAAILA/SM2YSVImHL0/s1600/Student_Witch___3_by_mjranum_stock.jpg

Jul 08 15 11:09 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Laguna Beach, California, US

isn't satan way cooler than jesus? did james dean wear a white leather jacket in rebel without a cause? i don't think so. smile

Jul 08 15 11:11 pm Link

Body Painter

Monad Studios

Santa Rosa, California, US

I don't understand why the Temple of Satan would want to entangle itself with city government.  It would be better for the Temple to hold itself apart from worldly concerns and especially from the corrupting influence of Oklahoma politics.

Jul 08 15 11:27 pm Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

I don't understand why people don't know the difference between good and evil anymore regardless of religious beliefs.  WTF?

Jul 08 15 11:43 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Jul 09 15 12:36 am Link

Photographer

Pictures of Life

Spokane, Washington, US

Just in case anyone wants a bit of clarification, the Satanic Church has nothing to do with satan.  It is almost atheist, it is definitely hedonist, which isn't particularly evil.  I like to point out that Mother Teresa was a hedonist, she did what made her feel better.  The Satanic Church does have a strong 'in your face' attitude.  Their official stance is live and let live, until you cross the line, then there is no forgiveness, just all out conflict.  And if you enjoy something, go for it without apology, regardless of popular opinion.  And some people enjoy offending others, so there's your point of conflict. The statue of satan is just a stunt, they don't believe in the biblical view anymore than they believe in Santa Claus.
     Of course everything evolves, and splinter groups claim to be the 'real' core group with a new structure.

Jul 09 15 12:37 am Link

Body Painter

Monad Studios

Jay Dezelic wrote:
I don't understand why people don't know the difference between good and evil anymore regardless of religious beliefs.  WTF?

Are you just assuming that Satan is evil?

Jul 09 15 12:38 am Link

Body Painter

Monad Studios

Jules NYC wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAEfeNLKwd0

Satan seems really sensitive and wise.

Jul 09 15 12:41 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Pictures of Life wrote:
Just in case anyone wants a bit of clarification, the Satanic Church has nothing to do with satan.  It is almost atheist, it is definitely hedonist, which isn't particularly evil.  I like to point out that Mother Teresa was a hedonist, she did what made her feel better.  The Satanic Church does have a strong 'in your face' attitude.  Their official stance is live and let live, until you cross the line, then there is no forgiveness, just all out conflict.  And if you enjoy something, go for it without apology, regardless of popular opinion.  And some people enjoy offending others, so there's your point of conflict. The statue of satan is just a stunt, they don't believe in the biblical view anymore than they believe in Santa Claus.
     Of course everything evolves, and splinter groups claim to be the 'real' core group with a new structure.

That's pretty much my understanding as well!

Good summary!  borat

Jul 09 15 03:35 am Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

I guess it's good to know that MM has opened up the Soapbox once again. Too bad it is just as silly as it was before.

Jul 09 15 04:03 am Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Monad Studios wrote:

Yes by all understanding through the millennia.

Jul 09 15 04:05 am Link

Photographer

Jim Ball

Frontenac, Kansas, US

Risen Phoenix Photo wrote:

lol

Divide a sheet of paper into two columns.

In the left column, list all the atrocities in the last two millennia committed in the name of any religion - Christian, Muslim, etc.
(Use more paper if needed.)
In the right column, list all the atrocities in the last two millennia committed in the name of Satan!
Before you start - Atrocities committed by Communist dictators are, by definition, not "in the name of Satan."

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

Jul 09 15 04:30 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

I guess it's good to know that MM has opened up the Soapbox once again. Too bad it is just as silly as it was before.

I believe the devil made IB close the Soapbox!  evilgrin

Jul 09 15 04:45 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

IBTL   popcorn

Monad Studios wrote:

You mean "Christian Propaganda"... whose definition of the devil changed from early times?!

Btw., the "horns" of the devil were adapted by the Christian church to demonize benevolent(!) pagan fertility gods and spirits, to win the pagan population, that was still holding on to the Old Religion, by turning good entities into the personification of evil.

Jul 09 15 04:50 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

SAND DIAL wrote:
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/05 … l-his-due/

Yr thoughts?

I finally read the article...

That is so unbelievable cool! What a great move, by the Satanists!

People don't realize that most real satanist groups are atheists, not believing in any of the Judaeo-christian mythology and using the "offensive" symbol of Satan or Baphomet in this case as a form of rebellion and to mirror hypocritical behavior!

So, yeah... I support their attempt to add that statue to the government building, since the Ten Commandments are completely religious in nature and hence violate the separation of church and state rule.

If the commandments are allowed, other religious symbols have to be allowed as well!

Jul 09 15 05:03 am Link