Forums > Photography Talk > Good Bay Area Fire Locations?

Photographer

Michael Sundin

Napa, California, US

So I have a model who would like to do an outdoor nude shoot encircled by fire, this weekend.

Are there any good locations that are known of in the East Bay/Bay Area where this could be done (that are also wheelchair accessible)?

Jul 10 15 02:56 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

Hmmm....

Not to spoil your fun but during these extended drought conditions I will wager dollars to donuts that starting a fire large enough to "encircle" a model ANYWHERE in California will get you immediate attention and not the kind you want.

The safest place to do it by far would be a large empty parking lot.

Jul 10 15 03:03 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Sundin

Napa, California, US

Parking lot isn't quite the look we are going for.

It doesn't have to be a woodland area. Deserts and/or rocky flats will work fine as long as we can get to them.

Jul 10 15 03:29 pm Link

Photographer

Nor-Cal Photography

Walnut Creek, California, US

Fire almost anywhere in California = Jail.

PS: I do not post bail for anyone.

smile

Jul 10 15 03:43 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

Michael Sundin wrote:
Parking lot isn't quite the look we are going for.

It doesn't have to be a woodland area. Deserts and/or rocky flats will work fine as long as we can get to them.

Is this a troll post?

Jul 10 15 05:08 pm Link

Photographer

Vector One Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

This has all the makings of showing up on the national news, "stupid photographer starts wild fire doing a dumb shot for a wannabee model".  This is got to be one of the dumbest posts I've seen.  California is in the worst water shortage in decades. There are huge fires all the time. And this fool is going to play with fire outdoors. 

What it is it with photographers and fire ?  Didn't the junk yard disaster teach anyone anything ?

P.S. If this is a troll post then it shows the maturity of the poster.... hell, the question itself shows the maturity of the poster.

Jul 11 15 05:22 pm Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Michael Sundin wrote:
So I have a model who would like to do an outdoor nude shoot encircled by fire, this weekend.

Are there any good locations that are known of in the East Bay/Bay Area where this could be done (that are also wheelchair accessible)?

Like others have said, I would rethink your concept. If you don't have a large support crew with experienced pyro technicians and EMT-trained personnel than the safety issue alone should dissuade you. Then the whole Cali/fire thing....

Remember the Florida photographer and assistant who both received massive third-degree burns, life-threatening in the assistants case, for playing with fire in a auto salvage yard???

Seriously, if you're asking for advice on this topic in this fora, wait until you have more experience, Please.

Jul 12 15 06:54 am Link

Photographer

TaylorScott Photography

Surprise, Arizona, US

Michael Sundin wrote:

As a firefighter in AZ is no different than in CA, I would highly say no to your concept. You are talking about putting a model in the middle of a ring of fire. This can put your model in "Grave Danger" should your surrounding change in any way. A simple wind can turn the flames back on your model. Also think about that you are looking at a woodland area, and just a few embers in the wind can start a raging wildfire. You can be held responsible for the cost of putting out the fire, any damage the fire does to any personal property. Some states have laws that can give you jail time for starting a fire as well as endangerment to human life.

On top of being in a sever drought stricken area/state, being in a woodland or desert you run the chance of delayed response time to the location if it is hard to get to by fire trucks. CA could also deem this a commercial shoot and you may need a permit(s). Then you would have to hire the safety crews which could be as little as two trucks with minimum staffing of 4 persons each to protect the area ( state or fire department may ask for more), at least one ambulance and a licensed pyrotechnician and their products.   

It is not fun to be burnt. A simple sunburn hurts for days. A 2nd degree burn can hurt as little as a week or longer. 3rd degree burns will hurt a lifetime with permanent scarring. I  have had a 2nd degree burn wearing protective clothing and it was not fun. 

If you are still dead set on this concept here is one idea for you. Go find a wildfire and see if the command post will allow you to walk in to photograph some of the fire scene (no guarantee they will if you do not have media credentials) then superimpose your model onto the image in Photoshop. Much safer that way.

Taylor

Jul 12 15 08:22 am Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

I haven't been able to find any kind of update for the Florida fire, but hopefully that means the assistant is doing better.

Please check this thread carefully before working with fire. https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post/946248/1

Jul 12 15 02:28 pm Link

Photographer

Gregory Thelen

Concord, California, US

I re read the OP numerous times and I am stunned, speechless and just amazed someone wants to do this in the middle of a drought.

I particularly like the part, "Must be wheelchair accessible".
So if anything goes wrong, you have the added factor of someone with limited mobility?
I read this book and I know how it ends.
This could be like the family visiting the volcano on the big Island. They jumped the rope to get closer to the crater and look over the side. The ranger repeatedly tried to get them to come back on the path and they ignored him. He finally pulled out his camera and asked everyone to turn around so he could get a picture. They asked why and he said so we can identify the bodies.
They came back across the rope

Jul 12 15 03:03 pm Link

Photographer

12 First

San Jose, California, US

I'm sorry but this question even being asked by someone in CA has me scratching my head. - All I can say is for God's sake don't start a fire there in Napa where you live. We cannot afford to lose our vineyards for sure.. 

Still Smiling.

Oct 15 15 02:32 pm Link

Photographer

TerrysPhotocountry

Rochester, New York, US

Nor-Cal Photography wrote:
Fire almost anywhere in California = Jail.

PS: I do not post bail for anyone.

smile

I know I won't help with the bail!

Oct 15 15 02:42 pm Link

Photographer

Light and Lens Studio

Sisters, Oregon, US

Michael Sundin wrote:

You are both idiots. 

Stay home. 

Better yet, if you are seriously considering it, you should have to repeat all your schooling, starting with pre-school. 

Dumb ass.

Oct 15 15 03:12 pm Link

Photographer

rmcapturing

San Francisco, California, US

Please be responsible and do not follow through with this idea. We just had a huge wildfire within the past couple of weeks even just a small spark that flies away can start a huge fire. We still have pretty hot weather and barely any signs of rain. The state is very much in danger of wildfires and it's not going away any time soon. For this kind of shoot, if you have to ask, maybe you shouldn't.

Oct 15 15 10:47 pm Link