Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Help a young dreamer out?

Photographer

MJS PHOTO

Liverpool, England, United Kingdom

I've got lots of ideas for my future but my main 2 are photography and property development and since there are so many awesome people on here I figured I'd ask if you could check this out;

gofundme.com/z3f7xrf7

you don't have to donate anything even if you just share it online that'd be amazing

thanks for your time!

Jul 10 15 05:20 pm Link

Photographer

Jim Ball

Frontenac, Kansas, US

popcorn

When you people approach me in supermarket parking lots, I don't buy your stories then either.

Jul 10 15 06:51 pm Link

Photographer

Photos 4 The Memories

Kewaskum, Wisconsin, US

Ibtl

Jul 10 15 07:31 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Photos 4 The Memories  wrote:
Ibtl

I think they are allowing these begging threads

Jul 10 15 07:41 pm Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

MJS PHOTO wrote:
I've got lots of ideas for my future but my main 2 are photography and property development and since there are so many awesome people on here I figured I'd ask if you could check this out;

gofundme.com/z3f7xrf7

you don't have to donate anything even if you just share it online that'd be amazing

thanks for your time!

Oh that's priceless! I guess just holding a cardboard sign on a street corner wasn't working out for you, eh?

https://i.imgur.com/Kb9jB5M.jpg

Jul 10 15 09:51 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Laguna Beach, California, US

ah, the entitlement generation continues to shine. god bless the interwebz.

good luck with your future endeavors, you dreamer. smile

Brooklyn Bridge Images wrote:

that does seem to be the case, of late.

Jul 10 15 09:54 pm Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

I'm not sure what a job pays in England, but jobs here in the Philippines you can expect about $1 per hour.  I am assuming you would be able to out earn most of my fellow countrymen.

Jul 10 15 10:10 pm Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

Why dream?  Just do.

Jul 10 15 11:08 pm Link

Photographer

KungPaoChic

West Palm Beach, Florida, US

GK photo wrote:

I'm still waiting for my pony.

Life is so unfair.

Jul 10 15 11:12 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

MJS PHOTO wrote:
gofundme.com/z3f7xrf7

It's painful to ponder why you would even post something like this associated with your name and photo.

KungPaoChic wrote:
I'm still waiting for my pony.

On the other hand, sometimes I feel charitable.

http://www.pbase.com/click_hamilton/image/60932396

Jul 10 15 11:16 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Jul 10 15 11:23 pm Link

Photographer

KungPaoChic

Click Hamilton wrote:

It's painful to ponder why you would even post something like this associated with your name and photo.

On the other hand, sometimes I feel charitable.

http://www.pbase.com/click_hamilton/image/60932396

How high can you jump?

I mean I don't mean to sound ungrateful but how do you feel about 3 day eventing?

Jul 10 15 11:24 pm Link

Photographer

KungPaoChic

Jul 10 15 11:25 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

KungPaoChic wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oN2AD6Bbj5s

lol you make me look like such a piker, with the youtube links.

you are hall of fame...i am merely looking for my first gold glove. smile

Jul 10 15 11:29 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

KungPaoChic wrote:
How high can you jump?

I mean I don't mean to sound ungrateful but how do you feel about 3 day eventing?

I don't know, but I'm happy to try.

But first, I want to go fishing in my kayak. My alarm is set for 3am tomorrow morning. I'll probably be back by 8 or 9 am.

What energy I have left after that, you can take me jumping. Maybe we can have a halibut for lunch.

.... what's a 3-day eventing?

Jul 10 15 11:29 pm Link

Photographer

KungPaoChic

GK photo wrote:

lol you make me look like such a piker, with the youtube links.

you are hall of fame...i am merely looking for my first gold glove. smile

I keep thinking there must be some kind of job in there somewhere -- I mean can I put that on my resume.

YOUTUBE EXPERT!!!

Let me score your life tongue

Jul 10 15 11:30 pm Link

Photographer

KungPaoChic

Click Hamilton wrote:
I don't know, but I'm happy to try.

But first, I want to go fishing in my kayak. My alarm is set for 3am tomorrow morning. I'll probably be back by 8 or 9 am.

What energy I have left after that, you can take me jumping. Maybe we can have a halibut for lunch.

Well three day eventing means you have to do the dressage component first ( I know you can dance cause I have seen your tutu), next is the cross country and finally the show jumping.

So clear your calendar for the next few days.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eventing

Kind of like triathalon for horses, so better eat your wheaties.

Jul 10 15 11:33 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

KungPaoChic wrote:
Well three day eventing means you have to do the dressage component first ( I know you can dance cause I have seen your tutu), next is the cross country and finally the show jumping.

So clear your calendar for the next few days.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eventing

Kind of like triathalon for horses, so better eat your wheaties.

OK.

Is my coat and hat OK for the dressage component?

Jul 10 15 11:35 pm Link

Photographer

KungPaoChic

Click Hamilton wrote:
OK.

Is my coat and hat OK for the dressage component?

You're the horse. You don't need anything but your saddle and bridle and tutu -- I'll get out my tophat and tails.

But you'll need your shin boots for the cross country.

Jul 10 15 11:45 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Brooklyn Bridge Images wrote:

I dunno, his other beggin thread was locked
https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post/947522

Jul 11 15 12:31 am Link

Photographer

KungPaoChic

SayCheeZ!  wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHgGo5dNgeg

Jul 11 15 12:35 am Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

Jul 11 15 12:46 am Link

Photographer

Solas

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

10 grand to get started on a business venture is very low. But this is not a venture idea, the presentation does not reveal it anyway. Not sure how smart it is however, from the sounds of it you are looking for the down payment ..the intracies behind which I get the impression you likely do not realize both industries are riddled with pitfalls

I'm also a dreamer, but with one big difference..I do just as much doing as I do dreaming. Often more than I dream. People know me for that, I have somewhat of a reputation now. If you want to explore those avenues I wish you the best. I would skip crowdfunding. People invest in projects that will benefit themselves in some way usually it is not to help a stranger along. Unless you give them reason to, nobody is going to care. It may be an idea to explore your local municipality business development office. Over here they help point you on where to get started and how to find grants. Permits. Licensing. They often will consult on how to write a business plan. How to find people to work with.

But really. If you are serious. Nothing and no criticism will stop you. But, poor planning and presentation will slow you down. Go see some local experts or work with someone who can allow you to take baby steps towards your goal. It's not going to happen on this thread, likely. Having good ideas is one thing. Don't get caught up in being an idea junkie .. focus on one thing at once.

Here's a youtube video for inspiration wink
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RubBzkZzpUA

Jul 11 15 02:42 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

KungPaoChic wrote:

I keep thinking there must be some kind of job in there somewhere -- I mean can I put that on my resume.

YOUTUBE EXPERT!!!

You are the YOU TUBE EXPERT!    smile

Jul 11 15 04:10 am Link

Photographer

ChadAlan

Los Angeles, California, US

KungPaoChic wrote:

YOUTUBE EXPERT!!!

Jerry Nemeth wrote:
You are the YOU TUBE EXPERT!    smile

Now this I agree with.

Although the space you put between "You" and "Tube" hit me in a Beavis and Butthead sorta way and I can't help but read the comment quite differently.

Haha.

Jul 11 15 04:41 am Link

Photographer

ChadAlan

MJS PHOTO wrote:

gofundme.com/z3f7xrf7

thanks for your time!

I don't think you'll raise more than a few dollars, except that from friends and family, but can't blame you for trying. I think you're better off talking to people or potential investors in person.

With so many out there in need of serious financial help in order to simply live a safe, decent and healthy life, it's hard to imagine philanthropists donating just so you can fulfill you dreams. Stranger things have happened though smile

It's like the many crowdfunding requests I see that go like, "My camera was broken/lost/stolen or isn't good enough and I really need a new camera so I can take even better photos. It's always been my dream to become a photographer.  In exchange I'll send you some photos taken with my new camera". Then they proceed to ask for money to buy high-end gear and lenses.

Jul 11 15 04:51 am Link

Photographer

PhillipM

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Photos 4 The Memories  wrote:
Ibtl

DITTO

BTW,,,, I'm going to trade SUV's today..  Can anyone help a brotha out?

Jul 11 15 04:53 am Link

Photographer

ChadAlan

PhillipM wrote:

DITTO

BTW,,,, I'm going to trade SUV's today..  Can anyone help a brotha out?

Send me your link tongue

This guy got a new car through donations almost a year and a half ago, and his campaign is still open and accepting donations, although no one has donated lately. Kinda messed up.

http://www.gofundme.com/matts-car

Jul 11 15 05:12 am Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

GK photo wrote:

My boss is much older than this "entitlement generation" of which you speak, yet he used a crowd funding site to raise $10,000 to help with initial costs of starting a small business.

It's no different than any other type of advertising.

Jul 11 15 05:16 am Link

Photographer

PhillipM

Nashville, Tennessee, US

ChadAlan wrote:

Send me your link tongue

This guy got a new car through donations almost a year and a half ago, and his campaign is still open and accepting donations, although no one has donated lately. Kinda messed up.

http://www.gofundme.com/matts-car

Hey you know... A dollar here, a 5 spot here and there add's up. 

Maybe I'm missing out on sump'n...

Jul 11 15 05:17 am Link

Photographer

Solas

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Koryn wrote:
My boss is much older than this "entitlement generation" of which you speak, yet he used a crowd funding site to raise $10,000 to help with initial costs of starting a small business.

That's not really advertising .. raising capital, sure . well, whatever. Throw the terms out the window for a minute. There's a lot of difference between different types of advertising for different types of industries.

Crowdfunding works, sure. But There's not enough info to tell where the money came from in your example. A lot of times it starts on Crowdfunding and then family and friends donate that way. The likeliehood of absolute strangers doing it, with no story, no background, no incentive or relation to the person.. fairly slim.... there are successful crowdfunded campaigns for just about anything but, judging by the tiny blurb the op gave us I highly doubt his will be successful. A lot of people think they can just sign up for these accounts and FLASH. 10 grand. 100 grand. All my dreams come true thanks to rich strangers. Yet a lot of the successful campaigns are very intricately designed, and a lot of them rely on luck. There are far better, more effective ways of seeking capital for new entrepreneurs.

Jul 11 15 05:32 am Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Koryn wrote:

My bet is your boss had an actual business plan, an established history of some sort of the industry he was starting the business in, already had researched the market, invested lots of his own money into already, had a promo video, etc. Plus, he most likely had a database of people he could hit-up for the funds as well.

This guy is doing nothing short of begging in the forums with an eye patch and a tin cup. There's a difference.

Jul 11 15 06:43 am Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

SayCheeZ!  wrote:

Yeah, but you can definitely see how he progressed through all of this:

https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post/946690

And while we're at it, has anyone bothered to look at the OP's profile (or lack thereof)? It doesn't exactly inspire me to want to give money to him any more than it would to give money to those guys from Nigeria  who contacted me yesterday about this great gig they want me to shoot and transfer some of the money to their local agent after I'm paid.

Jul 11 15 06:45 am Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

Shot By Adam wrote:
Oh that's priceless! I guess just holding a cardboard sign on a street corner wasn't working out for you, eh?

Adam, that is way too much work.  I prefer to let my fingers do the walking and relax at home.  Who knows, I may get lucky to catch a sugar mama.   I am a genius.

Jul 11 15 06:48 am Link

Photographer

Blue Cube Imaging

Ashland, Oregon, US

Moderator Note!
Please stick to the subject at hand.

As I recall we are now allowing industry related Kickstarter, GoFundMe, Indiegogo type campaigns (I might have missed the memo that we aren't any longer).

So the site rules for forums still apply:

Posting Behavior

- Ours is a culture of respect and tolerance. Please, no hate, drama or SHOUTING here.

- Respond to the ideas being expressed, not the person expressing them.

- Please, no trolling. This is not the right place to antagonize, provoke, inflame, or cause controversy. And don't feed the trolls, because responding in kind only makes things worse.

- Stay on topic. Do not hijack the thread.

- Everyone starts from somewhere. Be nice and help the newbies, not bash them.

- Excessively crass sex talk and vulgar language are not welcome here. And no swearing in thread titles please.

- Unless someone specifically asks for your critical opinion of their work, you should not give one.

- Mature images are not to be posted in the forums.

- Signatures with pictures and/or graphics are not allowed.

- "Vote for me" threads, links, and posts are not allowed.

- Especially controversial and divisive topics are prohibited. Such topics include but are not limited to politics, religion, race, etc.

Jul 11 15 07:34 am Link

Photographer

Hair Face Photo

Dallas, Texas, US

I want a tennis bracelet and my old butt back but I'm not getting that either.

Jul 11 15 08:09 am Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Blue Cube Imaging wrote:
- "Vote for me" threads, links, and posts are not allowed.

I fail to see the difference between most of these "please give me money because I'd like to get some free money" begging threads and the "Come vote for me so I can be popular on some unknown website" threads.

Might I suggest you guys create a special area for the begging/gofundme announcements before these forums turn into this:

https://heavyeditorial.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/501369-20131220-0413161.jpg

Jul 11 15 08:21 am Link

Photographer

Blue Cube Imaging

Ashland, Oregon, US

Shot By Adam wrote:
Might I suggest you guys create a special area for the begging/gofundme announcements before these forums turn into this:

I feel the same way and this has been being discussed at the mod/admin level.

Jul 11 15 08:38 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Blue Cube Imaging wrote:
Please stick to the subject at hand.

As I recall we are now allowing industry related Kickstarter, GoFundMe, Indiegogo type campaigns (I might have missed the memo that we aren't any longer).

So the site rules for forums still apply:

I understand that Kickstarter, GoFundMe, etc. campaigns are allowed on forum.

I don't like it, but hey, them's the rules.  I think, however, the these campaigns can be easily abused, and the threads often devolve into ugly things.  I also note that "vote for me" threads are more restricted than "give me money" threads.

I wish MM would reconsider this policy, or failing that, I wish MM would create a separate forum for these threads.

Jul 11 15 08:55 am Link

Photographer

Blue Cube Imaging

Ashland, Oregon, US

Moderator Note!

Looknsee Photography wrote:

I understand that Kickstarter, GoFundMe, etc. campaigns are allowed on forum.

I don't like it, but hey, them's the rules.  I think, however, the these campaigns can be easily abused, and the threads often devolve into ugly things.  I also note that "vote for me" threads are more restricted than "give me money" threads.

I wish MM would reconsider this policy, or failing that, I wish MM would create a separate forum for these threads.

Open a site related thread on the subject for member input. This isn't the proper venue.

Jul 11 15 08:59 am Link