Forums > General Industry > I'm from NY but not NYC!

Photographer

Laura Elizabeth Photo

Rochester, New York, US

So this a bit of a rant thread but I'm also wondering if there's a solution to this problem or if other people are having a similar issue. In the past maybe 3 months I've gotten at least 5 messages or like a 5th of my messages from people located in NYC looking to work with me and it's happened a bunch of times in the past as well. I'm not in NYC, it says right on my page and all my sites that I'm located in Rochester, which is about 6 hours from the city.  I try to give people the benefit of the doubt and think 'oh maybe they saw where I was located and they're willing to travel or they're coming to the area soon'.  No.  They're always surprised to know I'm 6 hours away and then always ask if I travel to the city, which I hardly ever do anymore.  I'm starting to not even want to respond to anyone outside my area since people clearly aren't taking the 1 minute it takes to see where I'm located. 

Does anyone else have this problem and is there anyway to get people to realize that, yes, I'm in NY but I'm not in NYC?

Jul 25 15 11:24 am Link

Photographer

Brian K PHOTO

Summerville, South Carolina, US

I have had this problem all of my life. Born and raised in Jamestown. NY.   When I tell people  I am from "Upstate NY" or  "Western NY"  or that I lived south of Buffalo or Niagara Falls, the just hear what they want and that is New York.

Jul 25 15 11:31 am Link

Photographer

salvatori.

Amundsen-Scott - permanent station of the US, Unclaimed Sector, Antarctica

Try not to shake your head so hard you get a permanent headache.

I am in State College, which is pretty much the exact center of the state. Philadelphia, of course, is at the lower right corner, and a full four hours from me.

I used to post casting calls and 90% of the replies were from models in the Philadelphia area. The natural thing to do was to start putting a sentence in the CC that stated where State College is, and that it is nowhere near Philadelphia.

That cut the mistaken replies to about 70%. So much for reading comprehension skills...lol

So I guess my answer is that you can't do a whole lot about it. Stoopiders gotta stoopid.

Jul 25 15 11:32 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Some people don't have any idea where places are.  I know where Rochester is.  I flew into Rochester once when I was on my way to the Finger Lakes.  I have also lived in the NYC area.

Jul 25 15 11:33 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

salvatori. wrote:
Try not to shake your head so hard you get a permanent headache.

I am in State College, which is pretty much the exact center of the state. Philadelphia, of course, is at the lower right corner, and a full four hours from me.

I used to post casting calls and 90% of the replies were from models in the Philadelphia area. The natural thing to do was to start putting a sentence in the CC that stated where State College is, and that it is nowhere near Philadelphia.

That cut the mistaken replies to about 70%. So much for reading comprehension skills...lol

I've been to State College.   smile

Jul 25 15 11:35 am Link

Photographer

F-1 Photo

New York, New York, US

The logic of some people really evades me. Half the time they don't bother to read before responding (just look at the forums) and even if they do there is a startling lack of comprehension.

Geography hasn't been a strong suit of many people for a considerable amount of time. One would think that the advent of Goigle maps and GPS would have improved things, but, in effect, the opposite has occurred. I'm dumbfounded by this.

I'm located in Queens, a borough if NYC. NYC is a big place. MM doesn't have separate listings for boroughs or counties which can be unfortunate. You can list by town but good luck coming up in a search.

The only thing I can think of to help ease your dilemma would be to spell it out in your bio, detailing your geographical area. However, this would involve a contact actually reading your bio and we know how that goes...! Ha. Good luck, just keep plodding through your emails.

Jul 25 15 11:38 am Link

Photographer

F-1 Photo

New York, New York, US

You know what else is sad?

People associated with photography should be ashamed if they aren't familiar with Rochester NY, the home of Kodak! Ha!

I guess models can have a pass on that one though! Ha!

Jul 25 15 11:47 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

On the plus side, people are noticing you!

Jul 25 15 11:49 am Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

Hunter  GWPB wrote:

Plus? The dumb people noticing her. Not sure if that is a plus?

Jul 25 15 11:56 am Link

Photographer

salvatori.

Jerry Nemeth wrote:

I've been to State College.   smile

Very cool. You must have been here in the middle of the night, though. Otherwise, you would have noticed the 25,000 female college students we have here, and would never have left smile

Jul 25 15 11:59 am Link

Photographer

salvatori.

F-1 Photo wrote:
The logic of some people really evades me. Half the time they don't bother to read before responding (just look at the forums) and even if they do there is a startling lack of comprehension.

Geography hasn't been a strong suit of many people for a considerable amount of time. One would think that the advent of Goigle maps and GPS would have improved things, but, in effect, the opposite has occurred. I'm dumbfounded by this.

I'm located in Queens, a borough if NYC. NYC is a big place. MM doesn't have separate listings for boroughs or counties which can be unfortunate. You can list by town but good luck coming up in a search.

The only thing I can think of to help ease your dilemma would be to spell it out in your bio, detailing your geographical area. However, this would involve a contact actually reading your bio and we know how that goes...! Ha. Good luck, just keep plodding through your emails.

You're in Queens? That's a short walk from Yankee Stadium, right? I mean, they're both in NYC...

Actually, I was born in Queens and lived in Floral Park smile

Jul 25 15 12:01 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Jerry Nemeth wrote:
Some people don't have any idea where places are.  I know where Rochester is.  I flew into Rochester once when I was on my way to the Finger Lakes.  I have also lived in the NYC area.

I know finger lakes. Used to go to dog trials there.
From TO.

Jul 25 15 02:19 pm Link

Photographer

Laura Elizabeth Photo

Rochester, New York, US

Jerry Nemeth wrote:

I guess for me when I find someone from NY but not my area I always try to google it before I message them so I know how far away they are.  It takes under a minute, how hard is that?

Jul 25 15 02:39 pm Link

Photographer

Laura Elizabeth Photo

Rochester, New York, US

Hunter  GWPB wrote:

And fancy NYC people too!  I wish I could move there I feel like I'd have models knocking down my door smile

Jul 25 15 02:40 pm Link

Model

Victoria Elle

New York, New York, US

Laura Bello wrote:
Does anyone else have this problem and is there anyway to get people to realize that, yes, I'm in NY but I'm not in NYC?

No.  NYers in the arts can't even comprehend that some people live in boroughs that aren't Brooklyn.

I will say that a lot of photographers are located outside of the city (upstate, also: Jersey), but drive into and stay in the city for days at a time to shoot, so it's not necessarily weird that people are asking if you would do the same, but it is presumptuous to automatically assume you do.

Jul 25 15 03:38 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

Hunter  GWPB wrote:

Chuckarelei wrote:
Plus? The dumb people noticing her. Not sure if that is a plus?

Victoria Elle wrote:
No.  NYers in the arts can't even comprehend that some people live in boroughs that aren't Brooklyn.

I will say that a lot of photographers are located outside of the city (upstate, also: Jersey), but drive into and stay in the city for days at a time to shoot, so it's not necessarily weird that people are asking if you would do the same, but it is presumptuous to automatically assume you do.

I suspect that it is more complicated than that.  However, even dumb people spend money.    If the right person notices, it could be a significant boon.  Many artist have succeeded because of one benefactor.  Positive feed back, even from people four hours away, is still positive.

Jul 25 15 04:01 pm Link

Photographer

Laura Elizabeth Photo

Rochester, New York, US

Victoria Elle wrote:

I guess I wouldn't mind if they messaged me being like 'hey do you travel here for work?' or at least something indicating they know I'm not in NYC because all of them seem to have a little '.....oh' moment when I tell them and it just irks me for some weird reason.

And yeah I do know a few people from Rochester that travel to NYC or Toronto on occasion and a few that actually moved there permanently so maybe it isn't surprising that people just assume.  I actually used to go all the time right before I did photography because I had a good friend that lived there but we had a big falling out so I lost my sweet hookup to stay there for free for a week at a time lol.

Jul 25 15 04:32 pm Link

Photographer

Renato Alberto

San Francisco, California, US

Laura Bello wrote:
So this a bit of a rant thread but I'm also wondering if there's a solution to this problem or if other people are having a similar issue. In the past maybe 3 months I've gotten at least 5 messages or like a 5th of my messages from people located in NYC looking to work with me and it's happened a bunch of times in the past as well. I'm not in NYC, it says right on my page and all my sites that I'm located in Rochester, which is about 6 hours from the city.  I try to give people the benefit of the doubt and think 'oh maybe they saw where I was located and they're willing to travel or they're coming to the area soon'.  No.  They're always surprised to know I'm 6 hours away and then always ask if I travel to the city, which I hardly ever do anymore.  I'm starting to not even want to respond to anyone outside my area since people clearly aren't taking the 1 minute it takes to see where I'm located. 

Just don't get a headache over this not worth it! I agree with the person that said that people just don't know geography well. Not too long ago, I got an email from a model that said, and I quote: "I see you are from Portugal. I am from South America too. We should shoot when you are here." smile

Jul 25 15 04:44 pm Link

Photographer

Laura Elizabeth Photo

Rochester, New York, US

Renato Alberto wrote:

Just don't get a headache over this not worth it! I agree with the person that said that people just don't know geography well. Not too long ago, I got an email from a model that said, and I quote: "I see you are from Portugal. I am from South America too. We should shoot when you are here." smile

Lol that's kinda adorable.  And yeah I was always terrible with geography so I guess I'll try to cut people some slack.

Jul 25 15 04:46 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

People on this site dont read !!!!
You should know this by now ??
Replies to this casting prove the point
https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post/52585/1

Jul 25 15 05:10 pm Link

Photographer

Laura Elizabeth Photo

Rochester, New York, US

Brooklyn Bridge Images wrote:
People on this site dont read !!!!
You should know this by now ??
Replies to this casting prove the point
https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post/52585/1

Maybe I just wasn't exposed to it as much cause I've never posed a casting.  But yeah considering it's MM maybe I shouldn't be so shocked that people don't know how to read before they send a message.

Jul 25 15 05:17 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Laura Bello wrote:

Maybe I just wasn't exposed to it as much cause I've never posed a casting.  But yeah considering it's MM maybe I shouldn't be so shocked that people don't know how to read before they send a message.

I have seen many threads regarding peoples complaints about no one reading profiles
The bar is pretty low here

Jul 25 15 05:20 pm Link

Photographer

Llobet Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Yes, I'm surprised by the fact that even with Google maps people still can't figure out directions.
I've given models locations on Google maps and even gave the cross street address just in case.
They still got lost.
I don't think it's the technology but the person using it.
Scary.

Jul 25 15 05:36 pm Link

Photographer

Photo Jen B

Surprise, Arizona, US

Laura Bello wrote:

I  understand this. When I lived in Fairbanks Alaska and the nearest city of size is 7.5 hours drive or a round trip ticket involving airports and anyone would ask about it as if it were next door I knew they had no clue. Alaska is as big as the five largest states in the lower 48. I get what you are saying. I learned to say upfront and ask if they knew I was located a flight away from where they were planning to be or a 7.5 hour one way drive?

Jen

Jul 25 15 06:20 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

I'm not surprised by this at all - not saying it shouldn't frustrate you, but not surprised.
Maybe it's different for people who live in NY state, but for myself and everyone basically I know, when someone says "New York", they're referring to the city, not the state. Although certainly I'm aware that there IS a state called New York - it's not something thought about when hearing "New York" in a conversation, unless it's qualified somehow in context to mean the state.

Glad California isn't called Los Angeles.

Jul 25 15 06:44 pm Link

Photographer

Top Gun Digital

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Laura Bello wrote:

It's pathetic that people's knowledge of geography is so poor.  I guess it's a reflection of the current state of our education system.  You also need to realize that on the Internet no one really reads anything.  They sort of see what they want to see and go from there.

Maybe in your profile you can include a map with an arrow pointing to Rochester that says "I am here".  Make sure it's the first thing in your profile or they won't see it.

If they still contact you tell them you will be happy to travel to New York City if they pay for your plane and a nice hotel in midtown.

Jul 25 15 07:31 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Laura Bello wrote:
So this a bit of a rant thread but I'm also wondering if there's a solution to this problem or if other people are having a similar issue. In the past maybe 3 months I've gotten at least 5 messages or like a 5th of my messages from people located in NYC looking to work with me and it's happened a bunch of times in the past as well. I'm not in NYC, it says right on my page

Five messages in in about 120 days by models who didn't read your bio and judged you by the quality of your work, assuming a NYC location, causing you to write a rant, which is..., btw., always OT never industry material.

Laura... I used to have mad respect for you, your photography and your promotional skills... and... not to forget, your talent... but, I must tell you... you are throwing a lot of complaining into the MM forums.

I think you really should evaluate your direction... you have what it takes to be a pro in terms of vision and technical skills... you may have to evaluate your attitude and if photography is enough of a passion to be so aggravated about models and situations, other people's opinions etc., in order to pursue this just as a hobby.

Whatever you do... good luck and remember, nobody likes a complainer for long...

Jul 25 15 08:49 pm Link

Photographer

GianCarlo Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

There is a large population of people who are not very bright. Unfortunately that's just the way it is. More than once I tried to set up a shoot with models posting their location as New York, New York, only to find out they are actually located somewhere upstate New York. I even tried to explain to one model that New York, New York actually means Manhattan, Brooklyn, New York is the borough of Brooklyn, etc, etc. Did she correct her location? No she did not.

Jul 25 15 10:43 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

udor wrote:

Five messages in in about 120 days by models who didn't read your bio and judged you by the quality of your work, assuming a NYC location, causing you to write a rant, which is..., btw., always OT never industry material.

Laura... I used to have mad respect for you, your photography and your promotional skills... and... not to forget, your talent... but, I must tell you... you are throwing a lot of complaining into the MM forums.

I think you really should evaluate your direction... you have what it takes to be a pro in terms of vision and technical skills... you may have to evaluate your attitude and if photography is enough of a passion to be so aggravated about models and situations, other people's opinions etc., in order to pursue this just as a hobby.

Whatever you do... good luck and remember, nobody likes a complainer for long...

I quoted Udor for context, not because this is directed at Udor - I'm directing this at the OP.

Laura - you're really talented - maybe give serious thought to relocating to New York City - It seems like you are constantly hampered by trying to function photographically while living in the "middle of Kansas". Not saying it wouldn't be a big move without its challenges, but if you want to do this professionally maybe "Kansas" isn't the best location.

Jul 25 15 10:53 pm Link

Photographer

JQuest

Syracuse, New York, US

Laura,

I'm primarily in Syracuse and I've worked with dozens of models out of NYC. Rochester is only another 60 minutes down I-90 from Syracuse by bus or train. What I would suggest to you is that if these models are serious about wanting to shoot with you let them know that Amtrak, Greyhound, and Megabus have multiple departure times daily for Rochester and they should look to put up a travel notice in an effort to book a couple of paying jobs in addition to working with you. Typically they book fairly well because they'e new faces and photographers want to shoot with them.

Feel free to PM me if you wish for more details on how I've done this in the past.

Jul 26 15 05:54 am Link

Photographer

Laura Elizabeth Photo

Rochester, New York, US

udor wrote:

It's more the percentages than the timeline,  when a good portion of messages are from people that I can't shoot with even if I wanted too and it's because they don't take the small amount of time to read the first 4 lines of my profile it gets frustrating.

And really I don't know why you think I'm complaining about photography all the time, I mostly just ask questions here in areas I'm struggling with this is one of the few actual rant posts I've ever made.  If anything I normally just say 'oh yeah I don't have this so I can't do that' or 'I don't have this but how do I make it look like I do' and I guess to me that's not really complaining it's just telling it how it is.  And even if I am complaining a lot here, again I do this as a hobby I'm not really trying to bring in clients from MM so I don't really worry if people think I complain from time to time.  Like I said in my other post I don't want to work as a pro photographer, I want to work as a retoucher, I just do this for fun and sometimes part of the fun is being able to vent about frustrating aspects.

Really it's the forums, I try not to take them super seriously and just post what I wanna talk about.  If something is frustrating me I'm gonna talk about it that's just who I am.

Jul 26 15 06:11 am Link

Photographer

Laura Elizabeth Photo

Rochester, New York, US

J O H N  A L L A N wrote:
I quoted Udor for context, not because this is directed at Udor - I'm directing this at the OP.

Laura - you're really talented - maybe give serious thought to relocating to New York City - It seems like you are constantly hampered by trying to function photographically while living in the "middle of Kansas". Not saying it wouldn't be a big move without its challenges, but if you want to do this professionally maybe "Kansas" isn't the best location.

It's probably not as terrible as I make it out to be but it is becoming very limiting as I improve.  I may like to move on the outskirts of NYC someday so at least people could travel to me without much of a problem but I wanna get my money situation figured out first and I'm still trying to work on getting enough freelance retouching work to cover the cost of living there.  Rochester is pretty dirt cheap so I'd have to figure out how to cover the extra expenses before I move.

Jul 26 15 06:14 am Link

Photographer

Laura Elizabeth Photo

Rochester, New York, US

JQuest wrote:
Laura,

I'm primarily in Syracuse and I've worked with dozens of models out of NYC. Rochester is only another 60 minutes down I-90 from Syracuse by bus or train. What I would suggest to you is that if these models are serious about wanting to shoot with you let them know that Amtrak, Greyhound, and Megabus have multiple departure times daily for Rochester and they should look to put up a travel notice in an effort to book a couple of paying jobs in addition to working with you. Typically they book fairly well because they'e new faces and photographers want to shoot with them.

Feel free to PM me if you wish for more details on how I've done this in the past.

Sadly like 9 out of 10 of the people have been all 'that's too far' when I tell them and then ask if I travel to the city for shoots.  I mean it is a six hour drive and since I only do trade work it's not surprising they wouldn't wanna go that far, I can totally understand that part.  I actually used to go to the city like 5 years ago every month or two but I had some one to stay with for free so it was a lot easier then.  I need to find a sweet hook up again.

Jul 26 15 06:30 am Link

Photographer

JQuest

Syracuse, New York, US

I hear what you're saying, but honestly when they say it's too far I think it's primarily because they don't know how to get here. Clearly you're under no obligation to figure it out for them, but if you let them know it's done on a pretty regular basis they might be able to find their way up here on their own.

I've had them arrive via Trailways/Greyhound/Megabus, Amtrak and twice I've had models arrive via Jet Blue when they were having $37.00 fare sales.

I'm actually shooting an NYC model this afternoon! smile

Jul 26 15 07:06 am Link

Photographer

GER Photography

Imperial, California, US

They seem to think I'm in San Diego, but it's a two hour drive across the desert and through the mountains!!

Jul 26 15 07:11 am Link

Photographer

KungPaoChic

West Palm Beach, Florida, US

Geography is not an American strong suit. Heck when Ilived in Santa Barbara my friends on the east coast would call whenever there was an earthquake anywhere in California.

Yes I am ok. No the earth quake was a 5.2 and was in San Franicsco, San Bernadino, Santa Cruz, ___________. I live in SANTA BARBARA lol.

PS I know where Rochester is too, My mother's side of the family is from there. But hey at least the  people contacting you have good taste -- but of they really want to work with you tell them to come to you or have them make it worth your while to go to them.

Jul 26 15 07:20 am Link

Photographer

Laura Elizabeth Photo

Rochester, New York, US

JQuest wrote:
I hear what you're saying, but honestly when they say it's too far I think it's primarily because they don't know how to get here. Clearly you're under no obligation to figure it out for them, but if you let them know it's done on a pretty regular basis they might be able to find their way up here on their own.

I've had them arrive via Trailways/Greyhound/Megabus, Amtrak and twice I've had models arrive via Jet Blue when they were having $37.00 fare sales.

I'm actually shooting an NYC model this afternoon! smile

A $37 flight from NYC!?  Holy crap that's cheap!  And honestly if I didn't have friends to stay with I probably wouldn't travel 6 hours just for one shoot either unless it was for some serious editorial and I didn't have a model with anything close to the right look here. And I mean they are from NYC, there's tons of photographers there so if I say I'm 6 hours away you can't blame them for wanting to skip.

Really for me I wanna start asking people from Toronto if they wanna come here cause that's only 3 hours away and not nearly as bad, I would even throw in gas money.  They even have and Elite there!

Jul 26 15 07:24 am Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Laura Bello wrote:
It's more the percentages than the timeline,  when a good portion of messages are from people that I can't shoot with even if I wanted too and it's because they don't take the small amount of time to read the first 4 lines of my profile it gets frustrating.

And really I don't know why you think I'm complaining about photography all the time, I mostly just ask questions here in areas I'm struggling with this is one of the few actual rant posts I've ever made.  If anything I normally just say 'oh yeah I don't have this so I can't do that' or 'I don't have this but how do I make it look like I do' and I guess to me that's not really complaining it's just telling it how it is.  And even if I am complaining a lot here, again I do this as a hobby I'm not really trying to bring in clients from MM so I don't really worry if people think I complain from time to time.  Like I said in my other post I don't want to work as a pro photographer, I want to work as a retoucher, I just do this for fun and sometimes part of the fun is being able to vent about frustrating aspects.

Really it's the forums, I try not to take them super seriously and just post what I wanna talk about.  If something is frustrating me I'm gonna talk about it that's just who I am.

Hello,

Could there be a percentage of those who might be similar to me in that they are optimistic about the travel part too.

"Sadly like 9 out of 10 of the people have been all 'that's too far' when I tell them and then ask if I travel to the city for shoots." Oh, scratch that, they are just like my Alaska travelling folks who thought we could shoot when their destination was no where near me.

I also got the impression from Udor's post that maybe it is time to upgrade from Hobby and go to NY more than pointing out complaints.  Sometimes complaining is more about the frustrated angst of the person venting than what they are venting about, right? Then again, a vent is a vent!

Jen

Jul 26 15 07:41 am Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Laura Bello wrote:
A $37 flight from NYC!?  Holy crap that's cheap!  And honestly if I didn't have friends to stay with I probably wouldn't travel 6 hours just for one shoot either unless it was for some serious editorial and I didn't have a model with anything close to the right look here. And I mean they are from NYC, there's tons of photographers there so if I say I'm 6 hours away you can't blame them for wanting to skip.

Really for me I wanna start asking people from Toronto if they wanna come here cause that's only 3 hours away and not nearly as bad, I would even throw in gas money.  They even have and Elite there!

Maybe this is also part of the issue, you are projecting that models won't want to come when they are asking, (because they love your work and want some of it.) Could it be that you are turning them down for the distance and they are reacting to your objections to shooting with them as a personal rejection on them and not a personal issue of your own merit warranting the worth.

I would travel to shoot and have all the time when I was in Alaska. However, I did not travel and shoot with people who said, "why would you come all the way here?" I would shoot with their neighbor though and not call them when I arrived because they are the ones who already shot me down.

Jen

Jul 26 15 07:47 am Link

Photographer

Laura Elizabeth Photo

Rochester, New York, US

Jen B wrote:

Maybe this is also part of the issue, you are projecting that models won't want to come when they are asking, (because they love your work and want some of it.) Could it be that you are turning them down for the distance and they are reacting to your objections to shooting with them as a personal rejection on them and not a personal issue of your own merit warranting the worth.

I would travel to shoot and have all the time when I was in Alaska. However, I did not travel and shoot with people who said, "why would you come all the way here?" I would shoot with their neighbor though and not call them when I arrived because they are the ones who already shot me down.

Jen

It could be that but normally I just try to say something like 'I'm not sure if you're aware but I'm located in Rochester NY, which is a bit far from you about 6 hours from NYC, just a heads up.'  I donno if that's still too negative but I'm certainly not like 'ew don't come here it's too far and there's people where you are already'

Jul 26 15 08:08 am Link