Forums > Critique > please take a look at my portfolio

Photographer

dereks

Katy, Texas, US

Hi, I have been spending a lot of time watching videos and improving my knowledge so that should translate into more skills and better photographs. Looking at the photos in the contests my conclusion is that a beautiful model trumps the technical aspect - I'm sure you need both!

Anyway, I look forward to receiving your comments on the photos in my portfolio and advice on how to improve.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/3698984

Aug 04 15 07:18 am Link

Photographer

Laura Elizabeth Photo

Rochester, New York, US

I really hope I'm misinterpreting your comment about pretty girls trumping a technically well shot photograph but just in case lemme just say that is completely untrue, you need a good model AND to have strong photo basics like composition color, styling ect.  A great model shot badly is a bad photograph

These are what you need to work on, the basics.  If you wanna shoot model stuff I find some of the easier work to shoot while you're learning is portraits.  Don't go crazy with wardrobe or makeup just a clean head shot, worry about lighting posing and composition and posing.   Studio work with a single light is probably easiest but if you don't have a studio go out during golden hour only and work with simple backgrounds.

Also when it comes to post work, less is more.  All the crazy effects on your photos really scream amateur to me, it's just not done in the professional world.  Sure you can use photoshop or something similar to enhance your photos but don't go so far that it looks kitsch.  Less is often more especially when you're new to using the program.

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/150729/14/55b942d9409e4_m.jpg

This is your best shot in my opinion.  The model is lit well, they're aren't any crazy effects on the image just some skin smoothing, the styling isn't too bad, the background has some nice DOF and isn't too busy, and the models pose isn't over dramatic or forced.

These are close seconds,

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/150731/12/55bbcf3fe214b_m.jpg
In this one the styling isn't terrible but the posing is a awkward to me and the post work looks sloppy.  It also just has too much going on for on and since none of it is really strong it just makes the image look busy.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/38991856

This one would be so much nicer if it didn't have the bad vignette and sephia toning.

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/150602/17/556e499c683a6_m.jpg

Nothing amazing but it's simple, lit decently and not too busy.

Really you should work on getting the rest out of your port because they're just not strong at all and many suffer from kisch looks or post work.  Keep it simple and focus on the basics of photography.

Aug 04 15 07:42 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I think you have a ways to go overall

I would say that having a good model is equally important to being able to photographer her or him well

I started out here with a couple of pix I had taken of the young fashion model Coco Rocha  and while people did not yet know who she was ( as she was 17 ) they liked her look and my success in shooting with other great models increased

Aug 04 15 08:39 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

A so-so shot just looks better with a great looking model.   Photographers are often judged by the models they show.   There is no question in my mind that a good agency fashion model will improve a poor or mid level shooters book.   Certainly having good composition and concepts are key to any image but there are reasons agencies are so picky about their models.   I've seen a lot of cool work done of sub-par models.   Great lighting, styling and location of models who look dead and drab.   As for your work.   I would stop with the filters and effects.   Take a look at the profile of one of your models.   https://www.modelmayhem.com/2223622

The images of her by H Hughes are simple yet well done.   I'm speaking of the black & white.   She enjoys shooting is my guess so work with her as much as possible.   Any cool locations around?    Is it possible to assist someone near you or join a meet up group.   This way you can observe how they work.   You just joined so I'm guessing you're pretty new to photography so it may not be fair to offer a real critique.   Lay off the effects and filters.   Shoot from various angles.   Low, high, middle.   If assisting isn't something you can do or a meet-up their are always paid shoot outs around around.

Remember a good image doesn't rely on fancy effects or gimmicks.

Aug 04 15 09:51 am Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Not all your photos are great, but you do have more variety of styles than most, which I think is a really good start, because, over time, you will start to zero in on the genres that suit your style best.

This one is my favourite because of its original and creative perspective

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/150725/10/55b3ce6365ef6_m.jpg

Aug 04 15 03:50 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Bolton Photography

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Learn your camera.

I'm not the most experienced photographer but, for the life of me, why would you use these camera settings?
Auto exposure, Aperture-priority AE, 1/2,500 sec, f/2.8, ISO 400

"Aperture-priority" I get, but why compensate for higher ISO settings by shooting at a faster shutter speed??

Shoot lots, leave Photoshop alone for a while.

Aug 04 15 04:20 pm Link

Photographer

Paul Tirado Photography

New York, New York, US

I get where you are coming from but you cannot think that way or else you might as well sell your camera or start shooting landscapes. The way you have to think is there are so many aspects that go into a shot that you have to work on improving all the aspects that you have direct control of, of which most are the technical aspects pre and post shoot. The better you get at that, the better models you will find are willing to work with you.

Aug 04 15 09:13 pm Link

Photographer

dereks

Katy, Texas, US

Thanks guys - replies from around the world and I appreciate your input.
I will post again when I have generated some worthy photographs.

br Derek

Aug 06 15 11:03 am Link

Photographer

_acoop

Chatsworth, California, US

Laura Bello wrote:
I really hope I'm misinterpreting your comment about pretty girls trumping a technically well shot photograph but just in case lemme just say that is completely untrue, you need a good model AND to have strong photo basics like composition color, styling ect.  A great model shot badly is a bad photograph

These are what you need to work on, the basics.  If you wanna shoot model stuff I find some of the easier work to shoot while you're learning is portraits.  Don't go crazy with wardrobe or makeup just a clean head shot, worry about lighting posing and composition and posing.   Studio work with a single light is probably easiest but if you don't have a studio go out during golden hour only and work with simple backgrounds.

I fully agree with everything Laura had to say. The pictures are very amateur looking especially with the cheesy vignetting and effects. It's said that, "your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." Keep taking pictures, don't settle. You have to train your eyes to see. You will begin to see what works and what doesn't.

Aug 07 15 02:51 pm Link