Forums > Model Colloquy > People want to shoot Nudes, bikini and lingerie

Model

Angie Borras

Kissimmee, Florida, US

How to warn them you don't have a flat stomach or beach body. I don't post pics showing my stomach because honestly it is not my best feature and who wants to advertise their worst feature haha. I put a disclaimer on my page but  is it enough for people not to be shock when you show up at the shoot and don't have the perfect body haha. It seems everyone interested in working with me wants nudes, bikini or lingerie I don't mind shooting these type of photos for them but don't want anyone shocked when I show up with no the ideal body for these type of shots lol

My photos are not photoshopped but they also don't show that area very well so I'm assuming these people have no idea what they might be in for hahahaha I really rather not put a picture of me I don't personally like in my profile do you think the disclaimer is enough.

I'm personally not trying to attract this kind of work but is still comes in anyways and I don't mind shooting it for them. I'm thinking maybe when they message me I can tell them hey I don't have the ideal body for this type of work here's a snapshot of me but if you still are interested we can move forward.

Aug 04 15 01:36 pm Link

Photographer

wskel

Columbus, Ohio, US

From the photo I've seen it looks like you're a mother. This implies possibly a wrinkled, stretchy stomach. You can safely warn photographers of that by saying "I am a mother..."

Most photographers who edit can knock out a mother's stomach, so to speak. Sometimes the extra flabbiness can be turned into a positive thing during post - I was able to make the girl look like she had abs.

Aug 04 15 01:56 pm Link

Model

Layla_B

Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant, Netherlands

Angie Borras wrote:
I'm thinking maybe when they message me I can tell them hey I don't have the ideal body for this type of work here's a snapshot of me but if you still are interested we can move forward.

I think you have given the best 'solution' for this already. smile
To mention this in the conversation is very safe and making sure no one will get disappointed wink
All the best to you!

Aug 04 15 01:58 pm Link

Photographer

Top Gun Digital

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

If you have some stretch marks on your stomach just mention it to potential photographers if they are asking you to do bikini, lingerie or nude work.  Many photographers will assume that they can use Photoshop to correct the problem and won't really care about the marks and will want to shoot with you anyway.  If a potential photographer is very concerned you might want to have a picture ready to send them to show them exactly what your stomach looks like.

There's a model that I've worked with twice with your problem.  She told me before the first shoot she had bad stretch marks and some saggy skin but I decided to work with her anyway.  When she arrived for the first shoot we started to pick out wardrobe items and she showed me the marks on her stomach.  She was very concerned about them but when I looked at them it didn't seem like a big deal to me and I knew I could easily correct the problem in Photoshop.

In another case I worked with a model with a large surgical scar on her abdomen.  Turning her body at an angle was usually enough to conceal the scar.  If the scar was visible it was easy to get rid of in Photoshop.

Aug 04 15 02:19 pm Link

Model

Isis22

Muncie, Indiana, US

I think having your stats in your profile is a great start. Do you have a C-section or major stretch marks? If so I would mention those as well.

Aug 04 15 03:08 pm Link

Model

Isis22

Muncie, Indiana, US

Wild Side wrote:
From the photo I've seen it looks like you're a mother. This implies possibly a wrinkled, stretchy stomach. You can safely warn photographers of that by saying "I am a mother..."

Most photographers who edit can knock out a mother's stomach, so to speak. Sometimes the extra flabbiness can be turned into a positive thing during post - I was able to make the girl look like she had abs.

I have had 2 children and I do not have a "wrinkled, stretchy stomach". It's best not to ASSume anything! I had a sculptor even tell me I defied nature!

Aug 04 15 03:10 pm Link

Model

Angie Borras

Kissimmee, Florida, US

Isis22 wrote:
I think having your stats in your profile is a great start. Do you have a C-section or major stretch marks? If so I would mention those as well.

No I did not have a C section I have very faint  stretch marks on my stomach and thighs and the skin is not like loose saggy or anything the stomach is just not like perfectly flat I have a little pot hahaha you know a little bit of a gut that is not noticeable with clothes on but definetely noticeable in my opinion with clothes off. I do have a Bikini scar when I got my appendix removed which I should probably mention too but that is not noticeable with lingerie or bikini but definetely noticeable nude.

Aug 04 15 03:29 pm Link

Model

Angie Borras

Kissimmee, Florida, US

Isis22 wrote:

I have had 2 children and I do not have a "wrinkled, stretchy stomach". It's best not to ASSume anything! I had a sculptor even tell me I defied nature!

I know some mothers with perfect model bodies. I unfortunately did not inherit the genes lol

Aug 04 15 03:30 pm Link

Model

Isis22

Muncie, Indiana, US

Angie Borras wrote:

No I did not have a C section I have very faint  stretch marks on my stomach and thighs and the skin is not like loose saggy or anything the stomach is just not like perfectly flat I have a little pot hahaha you know a little bit of a gut that is not noticeable with clothes on but definetely noticeable in my opinion with clothes off. I do have a Bikini scar when I got my appendix removed which I should probably mention too but that is not noticeable with lingerie or bikini but definetely noticeable nude.

I have small surgical scars too;) A photographer highlighted some of them in one of my pics.

Aug 04 15 03:34 pm Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

Isis22 wrote:

Whenever I shoot any model who shoots with any degree of nudity, I offer to make am unretouched composite, full body, front, back and both sides, with the model wearing whatever is the least costume she's willing to shoot in.  She can then forward this to anyone who needs extra reassurances.  They usually don't need to use it but it's nice to have around just in case.  I think there are very few photographers who would be unwilling to do this for you on a TF shoot.

All IMHO as always, of course.

Aug 04 15 03:34 pm Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

Angie Borras wrote:
How to warn them you don't have a flat stomach or beach body. I don't post pics showing my stomach because honestly it is not my best feature and who wants to advertise their worst feature haha. I put a disclaimer on my page but  is it enough for people not to be shock when you show up at the shoot and don't have the perfect body haha. It seems everyone interested in working with me wants nudes, bikini or lingerie I don't mind shooting these type of photos for them but don't want anyone shocked when I show up with no the ideal body for these type of shots lol
My photos are not photoshopped but they also don't show that area very well so I'm assuming these people have no idea what they might be in for hahahaha I really rather not put a picture of me I don't personally like in my profile do you think the disclaimer is enough.
I'm personally not trying to attract this kind of work but is still comes in anyways and I don't mind shooting it for them. I'm thinking maybe when they message me I can tell them hey I don't have the ideal body for this type of work here's a snapshot of me but if you still are interested we can move forward.

Haha, Angie. I think it safe to say that most 'photographers' are only into seeing a female naked. So whether you have that 100% perfect body or not is not important. Am I right?  smile

Aug 04 15 03:54 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

If you tick the yes option for nudes in your profile, it is always helpful to include enough nudes for a photographer to get a good idea of your physique.

If you prefer not to do nudes, it is better to say no to nudes.

Aug 04 15 04:39 pm Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

Chuckarelei wrote:

Haha, Angie. I think it safe to say that most 'photographers' are only into seeing a female naked. So whether you have that 100% perfect body or not is not important. Am I right?  smile

Yes on the second part, no on the first part.

Aug 04 15 06:49 pm Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

First of all slight stretch marks are never a problem.  a rounded tummy with a small pooch is actually wonderful for my style of art photography.  I use light room and have eliminated strong livid stretch marks on bottoms and breasts.

The issue is how you see yourself not how other see you.  I think you would be a wonderful fine art model.

Aug 04 15 08:08 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Risen Phoenix Photo wrote:
First of all slight stretch marks are never a problem.  a rounded tummy with a small pooch is actually wonderful for my style of art photography.  I use light room and have eliminated strong livid stretch marks on bottoms and breasts.

The issue is how you see yourself not how other see you.  I think you would be a wonderful fine art model.

+1

Aug 04 15 11:47 pm Link

Photographer

Steve Arebalo

Orange, California, US

Angie Borras wrote:

Despite the fact that many of my models choose to shoot in a bikini on the beach, most are modest and self conscious concerning their body. Many depend on me to direct poses to hide any "imperfections." Others bring wraps and other accessories as fashion. I will normally hire a MUA to try and hide skin flaws.

I know immediately when a model is uneasy regarding a specific part of her body. I will show her the work as we are progressing. She can alter future poses based on our discussion of the images. I consider each photo shoot a joint effort. I always need the model to relax as soon as possible. Regardless of the session's theme, it will take the model approximately 15-30 minutes to become comfortable with my personality and direction. I shoot on location. They are affected by my behavior. Whenever possible, I will try and ignore the public. The models will normally react accordingly, focusing their attention on the photo shoot, and not about body imperfections.

Each model is different. I select models based on their look and not preconceived ideas regarding possible body imperfections. Most of my models' are shy and embarrass easily. Speaking for myself, I am more concerned about the composure of the model and getting good pictures than I am about body weaknesses. I can generally hide those during the shoot or in post work. To make a long story short, I suspect you are more concerned about personal body flaws than the photographer. IMHO

Aug 05 15 02:55 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Angie,
You obsess over trivial things.  Your profile page is fine as it stands right now.

You have sultry good looks and you once posted a full nude image that was to die for!

I'm waiting for you to take a trip to D.C.

Aug 05 15 06:01 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

If I am interested in shooting swimwear with a model - I ask her if she feels comfortable in doing so , If she does not - I do not pursue the request , It really does not have to do with how she actually looks in swimwear ( in my opinion or others ) but how she feels that she looks .... And if she doesnt feel she looks good then she wont look comfortable in the shots

I have found though that self described nude models are generally comfortable with how they look in their own skin  in front of the camera - though sometimes gettinng them to wear fashions can present a different challenge

Aug 05 15 09:08 am Link

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

I wouldn't worry about it Miss A  .  .  .  some of the models I work with are fitness competitors, and body builders, and believe me, even though they're in phenomenal shape they still fret over certain spots that they're convinced are hideous  .  .  .  no one, other than ME of course (I'm old as dirt, wrinkled, with a hump on my back  .  .  .  I could go on and on), is perfect  .  .  .  wink  If you're shooting artistic nudes, glamour, retro, lingerie, they're are plenty of ways to highlight the "good" stuff, and hide the "not so good" stuff  .  .  .  I can't imagine any photographer being disappointed when you show up to shoot  .  .  .

SOS

Aug 05 15 10:00 am Link

Photographer

sic.fotos

Rialto, California, US

It would be an issue if you were hiding your problem areas. Your portfolio has a variety of shots, that include your mid-section. Photographers are aware that no one is perfect. Part of our skill is taking the raw talent of a Model, and creating what we need for our customers.
Great portfolio! Keep up the good work!

Aug 05 15 10:19 am Link

Photographer

Guss W

Clearwater, Florida, US

Everybody worries about something.
I've been shooting long enough to be of the opinion that "There are no 10's."

For the benefit of both your modeling and your photography, search around the Web for "corrective lighting and posing."  Find techniques that subdue or obscure the less perfect parts and be prepared to guide photographers as to what brings out the best.  Look for large props or fabric that can hide part of your body.  With your knowledge of fashion and your flair for color, you should be able to expand on even a nude shoot. 

Find old Playboy centerfold pictures and note how important a bit of clothing, lighting, and staging can be when creating a high-impact nude shot.  Many of their centerfold models look very ordinary on the street.

Remember too, that when a photographer is shooting for himself, he is not under an obligation to make it look like a real-world representation of you.  The whole gamut of Photoshop tools is available to him.

And let me know if you will be working in the Tampa area.

Aug 05 15 01:52 pm Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Angie Borras wrote:
....don't have a flat stomach or beach body...

Angie, the lion's share of WWBF Bikini competitors start at square zero also...  Transformational videos abound on YouTube...  it's all about nutrition and training... But the level of effort is huge... training five to six days a week...  most successful competitors ultimately transition into the fitness industry as personal trainers and such... there is indeed a career path to becoming a fitness manager in a gym/spa/health club... which is likely more readily attainable than that of a career as a commercial photographer (in my humble estimation)...

Best Advice?  Attend the WBFF Fitness and Fashion Weekend in Miami (2015 - October 24th) at the Hyatt Regency Miami Hotel.   There you'll find perfect 10's to inspire and motivate...

Reality check:  If there are choices to make here... i.e. either a commercial photographer or a fitness/bikini/physique model... At 5'2" possibly your investment in the photographic arts might be wise... yes height matters...

btw, I've collaborated with more than a few mom's who have journeyed back from child birth w/ stretch marks etc into amazing physiques...  a lengthy process requiring many months but all say they feel totally amazing for their efforts...  It is completely doable...

All the best on your journey...

Aug 06 15 07:12 am Link

Model

Svetlana Muerte

Austin, Texas, US

Stretch marks don't go away, nor does excess skin. Trust me on this one. Unless you want to do surgery, which will remediate the trouble areas to a point. Personally, it's not something that bothers me as a woman.

I've been open about my light stretch marks and never had a problem with photographers, even with nude work. If they are experienced enough, they are knowledgeable in techniques to minimize the issue. Other photographers like to focus on that type of "flaw" for artistic reasons.

I don't think your portfolio consists of highly edited/retouched pictures which would result in a photographer being *shocked* by your appearance. You'll be fine.

Aug 07 15 06:59 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

Have a couple polaroids/digitals in your portfolio in a bikini (front/side) that clearly show your body. You're a photographer that I seem to remember works with agency girls, so you know the appropriate look/lighting.

Aug 07 15 10:31 pm Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Put your body in a bikini.

Ta-dah!

Beach body.

Aug 08 15 10:31 am Link

Photographer

Cycling Artist

Lakeland, Florida, US

My mission statement includes showcasing real everyday women with all the battle scars of mother hood.   The challenge is finding the shots to capture the subject.  boudoir is a very rewarding adventure I am in.  I currently have a size 16 model and found closeup shots work best.  Also planning some macro shots.

Aug 08 15 12:49 pm Link

Photographer

Desierto Vistas

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

"If you tick the yes option for nudes in your profile, it is always helpful to include enough nudes for a photographer to get a good idea of your physique. "

+1

You already have a disclaimer in your profile, so any photographers should be forewarned. If you are still concerned about your belly, then add some bikini or nude images. At the end of the day however, you need to embrace who you are. And so should anyone who books you. We need to stress body acceptance instead of pursuing an ideal through post processing that is not reality. No one has perfect body. Some may come close for awhile, but father time takes care of that.

Aug 09 15 07:31 am Link