Forums > Critique > New portrait with a new model

Photographer

Laura Elizabeth Photo

Rochester, New York, US

Just looking for some feedback on this image.  She's a brand new model, this is her very first shoot and I think it went pretty well considering.  I feel like I like it well enough but something just seems off, like it's too dark or her skin is a weird color or something I can't figure it out.  It might just be that I've been staring at it too long though :p anyway would love to hear peoples thoughts!

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/150808/07/55c60c0fb9e9c_m.jpg

Aug 08 15 06:19 am Link

Photographer

Doug Bolton Photography

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Lovely paramount lighting Laura!!

I like it. I might have used a reflector resting on her lap to soften the shadows somewhat below her jaw, but that's me.
It's a "keeper"

Aug 08 15 07:37 am Link

Photographer

Howard Tarragon

New York, New York, US

Her hand is at least if not more sharp than her eyes. It's also brighter than her face and sort of coming out of nowhere. She's a lovely model doesn't matter that it's her first time. This is the only closeup in your portfolio that has a hand so close to the face. I would say this is the reason why  Amazing portfolio.

Aug 08 15 07:37 am Link

Photographer

Yiannis Stam

Cholet, Pays-de-la-Loire, France

I agree with you Laura, it's the color of her skin, especially in the midtones and shadows. Looks like  it drops off too quickly to brown if I squint to look at just the colors.

Aug 08 15 08:21 am Link

Artist/Painter

MainePaintah

Saco, Maine, US

I like it!
Very beautiful and exotic model! You must have traveled into NYC to shoot her,  huh?  smile  **

**Joke reference to your other Forum thread going on!

Aug 08 15 08:28 am Link

Photographer

Kris Krieg

Missoula, Montana, US

After looking at for a few minutes, I don't really see anything wrong that jumps out at me. Some might disagree with the amount of contouring/re-touching, but I don't mind it and it seems consistent with your other work. …  OK, I see one very subtle element. Her body tones don't have the same dynamic range has her facial tones. Her skin tones on her body look a little bit flatter than her face, but maybe that's deliberate. Otherwise, lookin' great. Call it done.

Aug 08 15 12:35 pm Link

Photographer

Laura Elizabeth Photo

Rochester, New York, US

MainePaintah wrote:
I like it!
Very beautiful and exotic model! You must have traveled into NYC to shoot her,  huh?  smile  **

**Joke reference to your other Forum thread going on!

Haha thankfully she's local but originally from Romania actually smile

Aug 08 15 01:42 pm Link

Photographer

WCR3

Houston, Texas, US

You've lightened the irises and whitened the whites of her eyes just a bit much for my taste. It's really tough to know when to quit. It doesn't show much on the avatar, but when you look at the full size image, the eyes look just a tad unreal. Otherwise, a lovely image of a lovely model.

Aug 08 15 03:22 pm Link

Photographer

Laura Elizabeth Photo

Rochester, New York, US

WCR3 wrote:
You've lightened the irises and whitened the whites of her eyes just a bit much for my taste. It's really tough to know when to quit. It doesn't show much on the avatar, but when you look at the full size image, the eyes look just a tad unreal. Otherwise, a lovely image of a lovely model.

Yeah I'm never sure, especially with brown eyes.  I know the last time I left the irises alone and a lot of people said the models eyes looked too dark.  I'll have to try to find a happy medium.

Aug 08 15 03:37 pm Link

Photographer

Steve Arebalo

Orange, California, US

You always do fine work Laura.

For what it is worth I like the:

1.Tight portrait
2. Natural appearance of the image
3. Pose with the hand to the face
4. Hair over only one ear with the other ear visible
5. Bob hair style
6. Bare shoulders

Personally, I have found only a few models that can successfully stare directly into and seduce the camera. Consequently I am neutral regarding her expression. I like to have the skin blemishes removed as a personal preference.

However, I probably would have selected a lighter background against her dark eyes and hair. IMHO

Aug 08 15 03:54 pm Link

Photographer

Lee_Photography

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/150808/07/55c60c0fb9e9c_m.jpg
The first thing that jumps out at me is models hair on her right side, seems under less control than her left with all the fly aways
Agree background seems too dark
For me the hand is a distraction, why is it there? Because it is there would expect the fingernails to have fancy polish
I am also thinking a tighter crop, bottom of photo just below wrist, then pull in sides and top
Would like to see the light reflection at tip of her nose toned down some
Think if bottom lip lipstick went out to ends more
Bit dark on nape of neck, could use fill reflector

Over all a stunning image of a beautiful model

I wish you well

Aug 09 15 05:00 am Link

Photographer

alessandro2009

Florence, Toscana, Italy

I would like see a more natural retouch on the skin on the face of the model and the removal of the few hairs that falling on her front.

Aug 09 15 05:39 am Link

Photographer

Laura Elizabeth Photo

Rochester, New York, US

alessandro2009 wrote:
I would like see a more natural retouch on the skin on the face of the model and the removal of the few hairs that falling on her front.

I think that's just my style, I don't do a lot of natural studio portraits and some people love it and others hate it.

Aug 09 15 06:03 am Link