Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Do movie reviews influence you?

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

I am an unapologetic skeptic.  I have a nice home theater.  I rarely go out to the movies -- the home theater is just so much more comfortable.  But on occasion, I might get tempted.

I was thinking about going to see the new Fantastic Four movie:  I thought glimpses of The Thing one saw in the ads looked great.  But the reviews are in, and they are tepid.  So now, I'm thinking of waiting until it gets to HBO / Showtime.

So, I was influenced.  (Note:  I am not that much influenced at all by ads, which all claim that they are the summer's biggest hit).

On the other hand, I find that the "buzz" is not always truthful -- for example, I recently saw "Birdman" on HBO -- it was good, but not all that great for me -- I thought it was a bit self-indulgent.

Aug 08 15 09:26 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Ratings and reviews can influence my decision to watch a movie.

Based on my experience... when moviegoers like a film, it's often the case that I will like it too.

Then I look at the critics reviews and if they are positive as well, that usually means I have a winner for me.

Rotten Tomatoes' rating and reviews have most accurately reflected my own tastes.

Anyway... regarding the Fantastic Four, I almost went with friends last night, but I checked the reviews... and when I read that it was absolutely damaging and that even the director is distancing himself from the final version of the movie... that's a pretty good indicator that the movie is definitely not worth spending $45 for three tickets plus the same money for popcorn and a soda... smile

Aug 08 15 09:33 am Link

Photographer

DHayes Photography

Richmond, Virginia, US

After reading of the production woes, casting and changes to the characters I wasn't really looking forward to another Fantastic Four movie.  The bad reviews nailed it for me - even the geek sites are unimpressed with the movie.  I'm sitting on the old wallet this weekend.  Currently FF is at 9% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Aug 08 15 09:36 am Link

Photographer

GK photo

Laguna Beach, California, US

i don't watch popcorn movies, so i can't speak to them. generally, if a drama has reviews that hover right around the 50/50 mark, i'll probably like it. if a flick has a spate of glowing reviews, i tend not to fall in line.

birdman was a good example. yes, it was 'somewhat' unique, but at the end of it, it had a lot of fatal flaws. and it's the kind of movie that won't have legs. six months on, and i have no interest in ever seeing it again.

Aug 08 15 09:36 am Link

Photographer

GK photo

DHayes Photography wrote:
Currently FF is at 9% on Rotten Tomatoes.

wow...you can pretty much count on a turkey, with those numbers. smile on the other hand, the new mission impossible movie is running an ad stating rt has its cumulative reviews at 93%. so, take those for what you will.

you couldn't pay me to go see that flick, but like i said, i don't do popcorn movies anyway.

Aug 08 15 09:38 am Link

Photographer

DEP E510

Miramar, Florida, US

I can't trust movie reviews.

Reviewers say Raiders of the Lost Ark was better than the Temple of Doom-- I disagree.

Reviewers say Terminator 2 was better than the first-- I disagree

Reviewers hate X-Men 3-- that's the only X-Men movie I can stand

Reviewers say Rocky was the best-- I prefer 3 and 4

Reviewers just have different tastes than what I do

Aug 08 15 09:53 am Link

Photographer

RINALDI

Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant, Netherlands

Nope.

I choose to watch a movie entirely based on my mood a that moment and/or the story/topic.

An example of two movies which are fairly on opposite of the spectrum: I enjoy the Marvel and some DC blockbusters, the story is interesting, it looks great in terms of art direction and costumes, etc. But also liked Midnight in Paris, because I like the arts, and how you get a glimpse on how those artists might have lived.

Aug 08 15 09:56 am Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

GK photo wrote:
i don't watch popcorn movies, so i can't speak to them. generally, if a drama has reviews that hover right around the 50/50 mark, i'll probably like it. if a flick has a spate of glowing reviews, i tend not to fall in line.

birdman was a good example. yes, it was 'somewhat' unique, but at the end of it, it had a lot of fatal flaws. and it's the kind of movie that won't have legs. six months on, and i have no interest in ever seeing it again.

I went to see Birdman at the theater. It was okay, but just more New York people being in love with how totally New York they are.

*gag*

As per the content of the movie, it wasn't bad but if it had been set in Omaha, no one would have thought it was a remotely good movie. Except me. I would have probably enjoyed it more.

Aug 08 15 09:57 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

A little but not much.

Aug 08 15 09:57 am Link

Model

Koryn

I read reviews even before I watch movies on NetFlix. If a whole bunch of people complain it's long-winded, boring and a "snoozefest," that means I'll absolutely love it.

So, yes, I do care about reviews. I use them to find movies that appeal to my  love for morose, atmospheric and slow-paced films..

Aug 08 15 09:59 am Link

Photographer

RINALDI

Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant, Netherlands

DHayes Photography wrote:
Currently FF is at 9% on Rotten Tomatoes.

I read somewhere that Disney/Marvel has indeed been crashing on non-MCU properties last couple of years, hoping to get that on a stronger track the coming years. Although I don't see a team rising that can equal the core team (working on MCU).

Aug 08 15 10:02 am Link

Photographer

GK photo

Koryn wrote:
I read reviews even before I watch movies on NetFlix. If a whole bunch of people complain it's long-winded, boring and a "snoozefest," that means I'll absolutely love it.

So, yes, I do care about reviews. I use them to find movies that appeal to my  love for morose, atmospheric and slow-paced films..

haha, that's pretty much my mo, when reading reviews. i'm always metaphor hunting, when watching films, or reading lit. smile there are certain directors who never fail me. well, occasionally, but for the most part, i get their 'vision'.

on the 4th (of july), my son and i went to see a matinee of ex machina. that was his pick, not mine. but i was pleasantly surprised to have found it 'somewhat' interesting. the overall mood was brilliantly dark (did i just type that?), and oscar issac is a fantastic actor.

i'm telling you...you need to see "big eyes". if you don't like it, i'll paypal you the rental fee, or pay your netflix bill for a month. smile

Aug 08 15 10:18 am Link

Photographer

Vintagevista

Sun City, California, US

I'm certainly influenced - but, more by the aggregate reviews - (rotten tomatoes etc.) 

But, in the same light - I usually go with what happened at Comic Con sneak peaks - (Which in it's own way is an aggregate viewpoint)   where one movie usually sucks the air out of everybody else's sails. 

(Fury Road had 5000 people going "Holy Shit" in unison there as the preview ended)  And despite some aspects that I was not comfortable with - I liked the movie.  (I'm a huge fan of the First 2 movies - So, I was all skeptic over a "Reboot" or whatever - but, the Preview won me over)

This year - Clearly "Deadpool" was what people talked about - a LOT - this year.  So,I'll see it.

Aug 08 15 10:21 am Link

Model

Koryn

GK photo wrote:

haha, that's pretty much my mo, when reading reviews. i'm always metaphor hunting, when watching films, or reading lit. smile there are certain directors who never fail me. well, occasionally, but for the most part, i get their 'vision'.

on the 4th (of july), my son and i went to see a matinee of ex machina. that was his pick, not mine. but i was pleasantly surprised to have found it 'somewhat' interesting. the overall mood was brilliantly dark (did i just type that?), and oscar issac is a fantastic actor.

i'm telling you...you need to see "big eyes". if you don't like it, i'll paypal you the rental fee, or pay your netflix bill for a month. smile

Big Eyes and Ex Machina are on my to-watch list. The past week, I've been out of commission from a recent surgery and marathoning Hell on Wheels. After I'm done with that, I have some movies lined up to watch.

Aug 08 15 10:25 am Link

Photographer

GK photo

Koryn wrote:

Big Eyes and Ex Machina are on my to-watch list. The past week, I've been out of commission from a recent surgery and marathoning Hell on Wheels. After I'm done with that, I have some movies lined up to watch.

get well! and happy viewing. smile

Aug 08 15 10:25 am Link

Photographer

Randy Poe

Green Cove Springs, Florida, US

I am a total hopeless movie geek for certain types of movies. if it is an visual action flick I MUST see it in the theater and usually do.
The fact that the story or acting is a total crap screw stack has no bearing that I want to see a terminator step out of a car that is sliding sideways away from him on its rims while surrounded in burning bombs of fire as he aims a shotgun and starts blasting away.  Aahh Euphoria.

My wife and I are on a project to photograph all of our regions Drive Inns so we see loads of flicks but certain ones I will see in a standard large screen booming sound sit my but down and everyone shut up theater.

We might fly out to see our daughter in Portland for the opening of the new Star Wars release because they have a Cinatopia and none of our local theaters are that fancy. That's how bad we are. We have a 7.1 surround sound large smancy screen system. but some flicks I couldn't care less what some hipster know it all punch drunk on ego thinks.

Now your standard lovey flick, no friggin way, none. if its all talkie talkie its either a drive in or Netflix

As for reviews, go see Aunt Man while you still can. So stupid, so awesome. no really shut up and do it!. Your welcome.

Aug 08 15 10:27 am Link

Photographer

Bobby C

Bangkok, Bangkok, Thailand

Koryn wrote:
.... it's long-winded, boring and a "snoozefest," that means I'll absolutely love it.

I highly recommend, if you haven't already seen them, movies by the great Hungarian director, Bela Tarr. One adjective to add is "bleak" ( But beautiful in it's own way ).

https://www.gravity7.com/blog/film/uploaded_images/B000EMGILO.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V55976100_-785358.jpg.

https://magnoliaforever.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/satantango-poster.jpg

Aug 08 15 10:32 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Koryn wrote:

I went to see Birdman at the theater. It was okay, but just more New York people being in love with how totally New York they are.

*gag*

As per the content of the movie, it wasn't bad but if it had been set in Omaha, no one would have thought it was a remotely good movie. Except me. I would have probably enjoyed it more.

You really despise everything NYC... LOL

Aug 08 15 10:33 am Link

Photographer

Bobby C

udor wrote:
You really despise everything NYC... LOL

'Cuz she's a country kinda gurl.  smile
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HX4SfnVlP4

Aug 08 15 10:37 am Link

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

Nope. They mean nothing to me. Then again, Hue and I don't watch t.v. at all, and movies only very rarely (basically never unless one of her sisters sends her a "Paris by Night" DVD) PBN is a Vietnamese variety show with a bit of everything. I don't understand a word of it but actually enjoy the choreography, songs, and some of the skits that are so well executed that you can easily get the story or message just by watching even if you don't understand Vietnamese.

I guess I'm really not much of a good sounding board, huh?

Aug 08 15 10:42 am Link

Model

Koryn

Bobby C wrote:

I highly recommend, if you haven't already seen them, movies by the great Hungarian director, Bela Tarr. One adjective to add is "bleak" ( But beautiful in it's own way ).

https://www.gravity7.com/blog/film/uploaded_images/B000EMGILO.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V55976100_-785358.jpg.

https://magnoliaforever.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/satantango-poster.jpg

Damnation was amazing! I haven't seen the other one though.

Aug 08 15 10:43 am Link

Model

Koryn

Bobby C wrote:
'Cuz she's a country kinda gurl.  smile
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HX4SfnVlP4

I like Johnny Cash, Gillian Welch, Doc Watson, etc etc
Luke Bryan, not so much.

Air Supply and Foghat are worse though. Lol

Aug 08 15 10:45 am Link

Photographer

Bobby C

Koryn wrote:

Damnation was amazing! I haven't seen the other one though.

"Satantango" is 7 hours long !!! Amazing though !
I've seen all his movies and love them. A few ( one ) are a bit weak, still good IMO.

Aug 08 15 10:47 am Link

Photographer

Bobby C

Koryn wrote:
I like Johnny Cash, Gillian Welch, Doc Watson, etc etc
Luke Bryan, not so much.

Air Supply and Foghat are worse though. Lol

So you are an old timey kinda country gurl. lol
https://cdn-webimages.wimages.net/051acdf779e6c713242329c1101a9a874976c4-wm.jpgsmile

I actually have no idea who Luke B is. Put it up to lighten the mood.
I'm not a country music listenin' kinda guy lol; like old country though, love Willie Nelson. The only contemporary one I like is Dierks Bentley and only one album, "Up on the Ridge" at that, in which his music sounds more bluegrass than country eg. his rendition of Dylan's "Senor".

Aug 08 15 10:51 am Link

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

Los Angeles, California, US

Deja vu.

Now this Fantasic Crap filc.  I heard the awful stories about the director Josh Trank.  Shooting schedules, many reshoots, destroying sets, destroying his rented house in New Orleans, so bad the head of 20th Century Fox had to make a visit with his check book open. Josh Trank's own erratic behavior on the set of Fantastic Crap...was well documented.

Josh Trank got Fired..from the stand alone Star Wars film several months ago. Kathy Kennedy and JJ Abrams hear these exact same stories and told Josh Trank to take a walk. 

The Box Office tracking for The Fantastic Crap is 28 million for this weekend....for a film that cost 120 Million.  Not Good.

Critics didn't destroy The Fantastic Crap....Josh Trank did.  And his Career.  He has tweeted that this is not his film...and blames 20th Century Fox.  lol

Aug 08 15 11:03 am Link

Model

Koryn

Bobby C wrote:

So you are an old timey kinda country gurl. lol
https://cdn-webimages.wimages.net/051acdf779e6c713242329c1101a9a874976c4-wm.jpgsmile

I actually have no idea who Luke B is. Put it up to lighten the mood.
I'm not a country music listenin' kinda guy lol; like old country though, love Willie Nelson. The only contemporary one I like is Dierks Bentley and only one album, "Up on the Ridge" at that, in which his music sounds more bluegrass than country eg. his rendition of Dylan's "Senor".

I wonder what a " classy" date is. Like an implied date?

Aug 08 15 11:04 am Link

Photographer

Bobby C

Reviews don't influence me, but rather inform me.
Rotten Tomatoes. Any movies recommended  about 90% and over ( give or take a few % points ) on the tomatometer works for me.

Aug 08 15 11:04 am Link

Photographer

Bobby C

Koryn wrote:

I wonder what a " classy" date is....

This ? lol
https://memeguy.com/photos/images/its-date-night-with-my-boyfriend-17148.jpg

Aug 08 15 11:17 am Link

Photographer

Lovely Day Media

Vineland, New Jersey, US

I'm not influenced by reviews.

I am also one who prefers movies at home though my home theater has been dismantled (not by me). I find that putting my laptop on a table (like those ones they have in hospitals that roll under and over the bed at the same time), pulling it up relatively close to my face and putting on a set of good headphones is almost as enjoyable, much quieter as there is less outside noise and far cheaper (I have a computer, anyway, and the headphones were only $20 or so).

When I get a chance to see a movie (not all that often unless it's a movie I've seen 100 times ... Full Metal Jacket comes to mind) I can sit back, relax and enjoy it almost always without interruption. If I think it might be worthwhile, I read what the reviewers say AFTER I've seen the movie. I get to decide if I agree or disagree with them and to what degree.

Normally the movies I absolutely LOVE, they absolutely HATE especially when it was Siskel & Ebert doing the reviews. I haven't read a review in so long I don't even know who the reviewers of choice are anymore, not that it matters.

Aug 08 15 11:19 am Link

Photographer

Solas

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

IMDB I find more accurate than rotten tomatoes.

what it boils down to, for me, is entertaining factor.. a lot of high ranked movies like Gravity are all well and good for performance but horrendously boring in terms of entertainment

Then interstellar, again horrendously boring. . high rating though.

Aug 08 15 11:27 am Link

Photographer

GK photo

Solas wrote:
IMDB I find more accurate than rotten tomatoes.

what it boils down to, for me, is entertaining factor.. a lot of high ranked movies like Gravity are all well and good for performance but horrendously boring in terms of entertainment

Then interstellar, again horrendously boring. . high rating though.

if i had seen gravity at a theater, i would have been chucking shit at the screen by the end. what a bloated mess. it was hot garbage. luckily it was only a 2 buck redbox rental. i had zero expectations of it, pre-viewing, and it didn't even get to that point. it was absolute zero, in my book.

my son wants me to see interstellar...nah, i ain't going there. mcconaughey in space is an even more frightening prospect than bullock in space.

Aug 08 15 11:34 am Link

Photographer

Solas

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

GK photo wrote:

if i had seen gravity at a theater, i would have been chucking shit at the screen by the end. what a bloated mess. it was hot garbage. luckily it was only a 2 buck redbox rental. i had zero expectations of it, pre-viewing, and it didn't even get to that point. it was absolute zero, in my book.

and yet... 97 % rating
rottentomatoes.com/m/gravity_2013

... why?

Aug 08 15 11:35 am Link

Photographer

GK photo

Solas wrote:
and yet... 97 % rating
rottentomatoes.com/m/gravity_2013

... why?

hype. most reviewers wouldn't know a great movie, if one came right up and bit them in the ass. i equate it to some form of mass hysteria.

Aug 08 15 11:36 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

GK photo wrote:

my son wants me to see interstellar...nah, i ain't going there. mcconaughey in space is an even more frightening prospect than bullock in space.

Doubtful

Cus on the IMAX screen it was jawdropping - Mistakes and all .Much differennt experience than say watching it your smart phone or somethingi

Aug 08 15 11:53 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I rely on RT pretty much but always read what specific critics might say about a movie

It is very helpful to read when some ( non maintstream ) Indie , Art or Foriegn Movie comes along that you have never even heard of

Aug 08 15 11:55 am Link

Photographer

GK photo

Garry k wrote:

Doiubtful

Cus on the IMAX screen it was jawdropping - Mistakes and all .Much differennt experience than say watching it your smart phone or somethingi

i watched it on my very large plasma tv. there was nothing visually "jawdropping" about it. the only jawdropping it got from me was how utterly ridiculous the story line was. 

if she had burned up on re-entry, i would have probably been more satisfied. it was drek.

Aug 08 15 11:56 am Link

Photographer

Keith Moody

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Nope.

Aug 08 15 10:24 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

udor wrote:
snip

Rotten Tomatoes' rating and reviews have most accurately reflected my own tastes.

snip

99.9% of my movie watching is library rentals.
Take out 10 at a time.
Most I am done with in 30min.
Some I am done with before the end of the opening credits.
48" surround system is in the bedroom.
I can watch lying down.
Pause for a bathroom break. Or coffee, or beer, or sandwich, or...
I can turn up the volume as much as I want, or down.

I am so far behind, that I am only now catching up with Game of Thrones. (Harry Potter for adults).

However some movies require a very large screen. And I will do one of those every couple of years.

Aug 09 15 01:36 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

GK photo wrote:
i watched it on my very large plasma tv. there was nothing visually "jawdropping" about it. the only jawdropping it got from me was how utterly ridiculous the story line was. 

if she had burned up on re-entry, i would have probably been more satisfied. it was drek.

Your very large plasma TV is inferior compared to IMAX.

Aug 09 15 04:40 am Link

Photographer

Tony From Syracuse

Syracuse, New York, US

I never listen to professional reviewers....its one of those occupations where they seem to be worried about what their peers might think if they if they give a good review to something. they shit all over anything they dont consider highbrow.so if they are reviewing movies from a prissy mindset why listen to them.  they get it wrong in my eyes all the time anyways.

Aug 09 15 07:31 am Link