Forums > Photography Talk > CF Card coming in DOA

Photographer

PhillipM

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Sheeeeesh, spent probably an hour with a senior gal, and her horse..  Camera shows images being recorded.

Bring it to the studio, and the card reader won't read it.  It will read other CF cards.

If I actually put that card into the camera, it locks it up.  I have to pull the battery and CF card, close the doors on the body, turn the camera on, and hold the shutter button down for 30 seconds, to reboot the camera.

I hate calling customers on images that are no longer here..  I may buy another reader to see if I can see those buggers..

Aug 14 15 12:18 pm Link

Photographer

Best Light Images

Palm City, Florida, US

I have used Zero Assumption Recovery sofware with good results.  Doubt if a new card reader will help. 

Jim

Aug 14 15 12:28 pm Link

Photographer

Light and Lens Studio

Sisters, Oregon, US

What brand?

New cards should be formatted in the camera in which they will be used, before using them to take pictures.

Can you read the photos (replay them) in the camera.

Some older card readers won't read  newer cards.

Aug 14 15 12:35 pm Link

Photographer

PhillipM

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Light and Lens Studio wrote:
What brand?
SanDisk Extreme32

New cards should be formatted in the camera in which they will be used, before using them to take pictures.

Can you read the photos (replay them) in the camera
As stated above.  The camera locks up when the card is trying to be used..

Some older card readers won't read  newer cards
Same reader and card for a year or so now.

I format all my cards throughout sessions or days.  This card has been used for a year or so.

Jim, I've actually purchased ZAR around 4 years ago.  I guess I can have them email me, my license so I can use it, or at the very least, use the demo.

Aug 14 15 12:42 pm Link

Photographer

Managing Light

Salem, Virginia, US

PhillipM wrote:
As stated above.  The camera locks up when the card is trying to be used..

With the card in, you might try turning the camera off and removing the battery, and then trying to get it to boot with the card in.

Not that I have any secret knowledge, but it's my practice to try everything I can think of to get a balky machine running before I try expensive solutions.

Aug 14 15 01:14 pm Link

Photographer

PhillipM

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Managing Light wrote:

With the card in, you might try turning the camera off and removing the battery, and then trying to get it to boot with the card in.

Not that I have any secret knowledge, but it's my practice to try everything I can think of to get a balky machine running before I try expensive solutions.

Sure.  Have nothing to loose...😗

Aug 14 15 04:47 pm Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Check your pins. The big downside of CF cards is that the camera/card reader has many vulnerable pins. If one is bent, or worse, breaks off, your card will not read correctly. Never force a cf card into place.

Aug 14 15 04:51 pm Link

Photographer

PhillipM

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Robb Mann wrote:
Check your pins. The big downside of CF cards is that the camera/card reader has many vulnerable pins. If one is bent, or worse, breaks off, your card will not read correctly. Never force a cf card into place.

How well I know that.... Lol

It will read 4 other CF Cards ..... Btw

Aug 14 15 05:28 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

PhillipM wrote:
SanDisk Extreme32

Just a quick note.
SanDisk memory cards are not only the most counterfeited memory card brand around, it's also one of the most counterfeited product of any type.  Many SanDisk memory cards that have been identified as "bad' are counterfeits.

How to finid an AUTHORIZED San Disk reseller:
http://www.sandisk.com/about-sandisk/find-a-retailer

How to identify a San Disk CF card:
http://damien.douxchamps.net/photo/fake-cf/

Aug 14 15 05:41 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

What brand?

All brands can and will fail

Aug 14 15 07:05 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

SayCheeZ!  wrote:
Just a quick note.
SanDisk memory cards are not only the most counterfeited memory card brand around, it's also one of the most counterfeited product of any type.  Many SanDisk memory cards that have been identified as "bad' are counterfeits.

How to finid an AUTHORIZED San Disk reseller:
http://www.sandisk.com/about-sandisk/find-a-retailer

How to identify a San Disk CF card:
http://damien.douxchamps.net/photo/fake-cf/

I just received my real SanDisk CF cards from B&H today.

Aug 14 15 10:21 pm Link

Photographer

Light and Lens Studio

Sisters, Oregon, US

Robb Mann wrote:

Great point. Pins are in camera. I have come across 1 camera with a bent pin. It wouldn't boot up at all.

On thing you could do is see if the cam works with a different card

Aug 14 15 10:58 pm Link

Photographer

Light and Lens Studio

Sisters, Oregon, US

Brooklyn Bridge Images wrote:

All brands can and will fail

Right. Some brands fail more often in my experience.

Aug 14 15 11:00 pm Link

Photographer

PhillipM

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Great point. Pins are in camera. I have come across 1 camera with a bent pin. It wouldn't boot up at all.

On thing you could do is see if the cam works with a different card

My camera will read my other 3 cards.  Having said that, I'll peek at those pins, "just" in case.

Just had the PCB and Shutter replaced in it.  It's a Canon 5D Mark ii

I just put that card in an older 1D Mark ii, and it did the same thing.  It locked up the camera.  There must be some type of short in the card.  Now I'm wondering, if that didn't burn up my Power Control Board in my 5D the last time I used it.

Aug 15 15 05:07 am Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

PhillipM wrote:

I would stop putting this card in cameras

Aug 15 15 10:58 am Link

Photographer

PhillipM

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Brooklyn Bridge Images wrote:
I would stop putting this card in cameras

Yep.

Planning on doing that.  Thought I'd experiment with a camera I no longer use to just to see.

Aug 15 15 11:20 am Link

Photographer

PhillipM

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Update:... I tried to recover the files a couple of ways.  I tried some software from SanDisk.  No go.  I put the CF card in the freezer hoping the case would shrink some, since I was kind of leaning toward something not lined up in it.  No Go.

Well, today, I figure I didn't have anything to loose.  I slightly twisted the card back and forth a couple of times, and tossed into the reader.

It read it, I grabbed the data.

Now the card is in the garbage.

Sep 04 15 11:18 am Link

Photographer

Motordrive Photography

Lodi, California, US

Good deal, all the recovery advice would not help, but a little bit of finesse
did the trick because something was out of tolerance size wise.

Sep 04 15 11:45 am Link

Photographer

TerrysPhotocountry

Rochester, New York, US

PhillipM wrote:
Update:... I tried to recover the files a couple of ways.  I tried some software from SanDisk.  No go.  I put the CF card in the freezer hoping the case would shrink some, since I was kind of leaning toward something not lined up in it.  No Go.

Well, today, I figure I didn't have anything to loose.  I slightly twisted the card back and forth a couple of times, and tossed into the reader.

It read it, I grabbed the data.

Now the card is in the garbage.

LUCKY!

Sep 04 15 02:19 pm Link

Photographer

PhotoByWayne

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

PhillipM wrote:

Twist as in bending the card with 2 hands in opposite directions?  The card can be read when it is not completely flat?

Sep 04 15 03:28 pm Link

Photographer

PhillipM

Nashville, Tennessee, US

PhotoByWayne wrote:

Twist as in bending the card with 2 hands in opposite directions?

Yes...

Sep 04 15 04:06 pm Link

Photographer

fsp

New York, New York, US

i find the camera format is just a quick format. ive run my card with a recovery program once and it found stuff i did 2 years ago. i camera format my card before every shoot.

my card started acting weird, corrupt files, so i did a low level format complete with a new partition.... problem solved.

when the camera formats it only erases the first letter of each file in the index but the files are still there.

Sep 04 15 04:37 pm Link

Photographer

PhillipM

Nashville, Tennessee, US

The F-Stop wrote:
my card started acting weird, corrupt files, so i did a low level format complete with a new partition.... problem solved.

My computer would NOT see the drive.... [card in the reader] so recovery would not work. smile

It's all good.  Got the files.

Sep 04 15 05:18 pm Link