Model

TEGAN

Courtice, Ontario, Canada

Hi everyone

Are photographers on here willing to pay for implieds? If so, what is your range? Or just no?

I am just curious in general.

Thanks so much all!

Aug 15 15 03:10 pm Link

Photographer

ChadAlan

Los Angeles, California, US

-Tegan- wrote:
Hi everyone

Are photographers on here willing to pay for implieds? If so, what is your range? Or just no?

I am just curious in general.

Thanks so much all!

Not me, but I don't pay for clothed or nudes either (not saying I'm too good to pay or anything like that).

If pay was involved, it would come from a client's budget, and they would be paying for a model, not a degree of nudity.

smile

Aug 15 15 03:15 pm Link

Model

TEGAN

thanks Chad

Aug 15 15 03:16 pm Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

People will pay for versatile, open-minded models who have a devil-may-care attitude and don't give a shit about stuff like whether or not their nipples are visible.

People will pay for models who are easy to book, show up on time, and ready to work within the first ten or so minutes.

People will pay for models who have relatively few limits and fewer expectations - who do not hound them for photos. Who sign the release, take their pay, and leave promptly after the shoot.

If you cannot do those things ^^^ you aren't likely to find yourself inundated with paying work.

Aug 15 15 03:21 pm Link

Model

TEGAN

thanks koryn! I am just curious in general as I see on a lot of model's portfolio's they charge for implieds so was just wondering how it works:)

Aug 15 15 03:24 pm Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

I'm not.

I can count of my two hands the number of times I've paid a model to shoot, and I have a few fingers left over.  When I paid, it was for nude, and it was for a very specific body type and for very specific abilities.  And that's only because I was getting impatient to finish a project.  More then half of the project consisted of equally qualified bodies and abilities who did it for trade.

There are people who will pay for implied shoots, but I suspect it will be a less-than-professional experience for you.  You will have to decide what you're willing to put up with for a few bucks to be sort-of naked in front of someone who is paying you to do that.  The reality is, why would they pay you to be sort-of naked when they can pay someone else to be very naked.  You would have to offer something that others cannot.

Aug 15 15 03:27 pm Link

Model

TEGAN

thanks Good Egg!...so really, if a model is just comfy with implieds, it should be TF only?

Aug 15 15 03:28 pm Link

Body Painter

Monad Studios

Santa Rosa, California, US

Koryn wrote:
People will pay for versatile, open-minded models who have a devil-may-care attitude and don't give a shit about stuff like whether or not their nipples are visible.

People will pay for models who are easy to book, show up on time, and ready to work within the first ten or so minutes.

People will pay for models who have relatively few limits and fewer expectations - who do not hound them for photos. Who sign the release, take their pay, and leave promptly after the shoot.

If you cannot do those things ^^^ you aren't likely to find yourself inundated with paying work.

This might be the best, most concise, most clear-eyed statement I've ever read about how people succeed as paid models.  Koryn, I hope your shoulder is still healing well and that you never have to write your words under the employ of a gargantuan dick ever again.

Aug 15 15 03:32 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

I just wrote a long explanation and erased it.  The briefer version:

What Koryn said.
If I am to pay $50 an hour to a model that does implied nudes or one that does nudes, which do you think I will hire?

Aug 15 15 03:43 pm Link

Model

TEGAN

thanks so much everyone

Aug 15 15 03:43 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

-Tegan- wrote:
thanks koryn! I am just curious in general as I see on a lot of model's portfolio's they charge for implieds so was just wondering how it works:)

There is a difference between posting rates and actually getting them.

There is nothing wrong with having limits. There is nothing wrong with asking for payment.

Supply and demand will determine success as always.

Aug 15 15 03:56 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Shadow Dancer wrote:

There is a difference between posting rates and actually getting them.

There is nothing wrong with having limits. There is nothing wrong with asking for payment.

Supply and demand will determine success as always.

This!  I do pay models and it's not always for nudes either.

Aug 15 15 04:05 pm Link

Model

TEGAN

I greatly appreciate the advice. I am not looking to get paid- just wondering what the general consensus is among models and photographers. I switch from regular size to plus size quite frequently as is apparent in my port and would love to shoot with new people. Thanks so much for all of your input.

Aug 15 15 04:12 pm Link

Photographer

Mantographer

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Koryn wrote:

*swoon*

Aug 15 15 04:16 pm Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

I pay for nudes and only if they are known high quality art models.  I would never pay for just implies.  I need both for publication.

Aug 15 15 04:29 pm Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

-Tegan- wrote:
thanks Good Egg!...so really, if a model is just comfy with implieds, it should be TF only?

Not at all!

You should be paid because you feel that your time and talent are worth it and the photographer (and/or his client, if there is one) agrees with you.
Or
Because you've been asked to do something you wouldn't otherwise do.
Or
Because the photographer's work, concept, etc. would not benefit your portfolio or other goals at the moment.

You should shoot TF when the photographer's work, concept, etc. would benefit your portfolio or other goals at the moment (such as trying implieds or another genre to see whether or not you like it).
Or
You and the photographer are friends (or you think you might become friends) and it's a good excuse to get together..
Or
You believe the shoot might lead directly to paid work, (In which case it's generally called a "test" rather than TF)
Or
You need to update your portfolio
Or
You just want to shoot and to Hell with all those people that say that Models should always be paid (or any other reason that makes sense to you).

You'll note that in the above cases, you are getting something of value out of the shoot just as the photographer is.  That's why it's called "Trade For...".  In other words, it's just another form of mutual payment and recognition between the parties.  And that's true whether the shoot is implieds, nudes, fetish, lifestyle, really no matter what the genre is.  So my advice is to consider implieds, whether trade or paid, in just the same way as you do any other negotiation.  If it makes sense to you for reasons that are good and sufficient to you, do it.  And if it doesn't, don't.

All IMHO as always, of course.

Aug 15 15 05:34 pm Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

-Tegan- wrote:

There is no hard and fast "rule." It's not something that can be looked at as some standard of the internet or anything.

But, in general, unless you're willing to shoot full nudes with your face and every ass-pimple and stretchmark on your body visible to every mofo up on teh interwebernetz then it's going to be hard to get paid gigs.

To be a consistently booked freelance model, you really have to just not give a damn about who sees you nekkid on the internet, where your image winds up, or if it's even flattering. After a couple years, there will be absolutely HORRIBLE images of you all over the internet. You really have to be totally okay with that.

I'm not saying that to turn you off to modeling. I'm saying that because it's the truth.

Aug 15 15 05:35 pm Link

Model

Isis22

Muncie, Indiana, US

The more limits you have the more limited paid gigs will be. It is much harder to do implied than to shoot full nudes. Photographers do not want to worry about you feeling like things should be showing that you don't want. They want someone fully comfortable with their body. I'm not saying you shouldn't have limits. Just be aware the more you have the more people will be turned off by them. They don't want a hassle or to feel like they might be stepping on eggshells.

Aug 15 15 06:34 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

Assuming there's no client involved (because that's different) - If I decide to pay, for personal work, it has absolutely zero to do with the level of dress/undress of the model. Most of the time I make that decision it's pretty much economics, as it's cheaper (at busy times) to simply pay something and it be the end of it, than consuming expensive, otherwise billable time, to finish trade photos. Suddenly trade becomes expensive.

Aug 15 15 07:09 pm Link

Photographer

GeM Photographic

Racine, Wisconsin, US

If I am shooting a concept that would be considered as "implied nudes", I shoot that with models who are comfortable with nudes, it just works better for me that way. The implied-only models seemed to be far too concerned that they might reveal something they don't want to show (it can be seen in their expression).

Aug 15 15 09:25 pm Link

Model

malefica

Durham, England, United Kingdom

Koryn wrote:

This. The more professional and approachable you are - willing to communicate before/during a shoot - the more likely people will want to shoot with you again.

Aug 16 15 01:05 am Link

Photographer

Lallure Photographic

Taylors, South Carolina, US

I rarely would care anything about implieds, at all. You either want to model for the job, or you don't, and if that involves nudity, I am not going to try and modify the job, to fit with a model who isn't willing to do the nude looks required.

Nor do I think models should expect that testing is always fully clothed, either. If you are willing to do testing, that shouldn't be impacted by whether nudes are involved or not. A test is a test, as long as you understand what's involved, and agree to it.

Frankly, if models think they should always be paid for anything that involves nudity, that's a pretty big joke, as editorials pay very little, and they use tasteful nudity, on a periodic basis, in almost all women's magazines.

Models are free to decide what they will do, or not, based on their own comfort levels, but nudity does not automatically mean you should expect cash, or a lot of cash.

Aug 16 15 10:39 am Link

Photographer

MarkGerrardPhotography

Manchester, England, United Kingdom

Even though it's just a hobby to me at the moment, if I think a model is worth it then I'll pay, no matter what they are wearing or not.

Why should I expect someone to give their time for free, I wouldn't unless it was for charity or a really special case.  Of course if they are offering to do it for free or for TF etc then I wouldn't say no, but I would give them a little something towards their gas etc.

Aug 20 15 04:08 am Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

i've done that but it was more a matter of needing to pay just to get a model to show up.

Aug 20 15 08:53 am Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Isis22 wrote:
The more limits you have the more limited paid gigs will be. It is much harder to do implied than to shoot full nudes. Photographers do not want to worry about you feeling like things should be showing that you don't want. They want someone fully comfortable with their body. I'm not saying you shouldn't have limits. Just be aware the more you have the more people will be turned off by them. They don't want a hassle or to feel like they might be stepping on eggshells.

Yes.

I've made a 13 year career by being comfortable in my own skin. Obviously I'm an art nude model and I have limits with eroticism and fetish (I don't do either) but I'm not worried about something showing. That is extremely difficult for all parties to deal with. It's just a complete headache and waste of time. Models who claim to charge for implied nudes are 1. absolutely not making a living doing this and 2. not getting much work at all. I'm a high caliber art model and I take myself and my work completely seriously. It's fine to have limits but just know if your limits show you're not comfortable in your own skin you'll get passed on time and time again. Photographers want someone who is comfortable, professional, and who really wants to help them create with their talent and professionalism. smile

Aug 20 15 09:28 am Link

Model

TEGAN

thanks so much everyone!

Aug 20 15 09:44 am Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I guess my issue is you are looking at photographers as your potential clients, that simply isn't where the money is any more than a photographer looking to get paid by models.

We are both part of the creative side of the business; the side that gets hired by the same people to produce a visual that in turn builds their business and makes them more money.  Money they use to hire us.

Photographers can be clients, but its far less usual and normally for personal project.  I have hired models, but its never been based on their wardrobe or lack of it - its about their look, if its right for the project or simply the "in" look right now.  Meaning it shows I understand what that look is and I am speaking the same visual language as  potential clients.

just my twocents

Aug 20 15 10:23 am Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

If I want to pay an art model, I want one who will do actual nudes.  Implied is just too limiting.  In that case, doing implied only is a disqualification. 

If I'm doing some other shoot that requires some implied shots, any model who doesn't do implied work has disqualified herself.   It makes those who do implied qualified but not worth more.  (Whether I pay depends on the shoot and the model's look, not that she does implied)

Doing things others will not is often more about opportunity, than earning a higher rate.

Aug 20 15 11:36 am Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

AJ_In_Atlanta wrote:
I guess my issue is you are looking at photographers as your potential clients, that simply isn't where the money is any more than a photographer looking to get paid by models.

Not true at all. It used to be that way but because everyone has access to the internet and professional gear there are many creative people working on projects constantly. My business has only evolved and gotten busier over the years. Many of these people realize that hiring a professional model who loves what they do will only enhance their creative process, which as a photographer they have the utmost control over. Their portfolio can only evolve by doing this and it does. smile

Aug 20 15 11:47 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Model Sarah wrote:

Yes.

I've made a 13 year career by being comfortable in my own skin. Obviously I'm an art nude model and I have limits with eroticism and fetish (I don't do either) but I'm not worried about something showing. That is extremely difficult for all parties to deal with. It's just a complete headache and waste of time. Models who claim to charge for implied nudes are 1. absolutely not making a living doing this and 2. not getting much work at all. I'm a high caliber art model and I take myself and my work completely seriously. It's fine to have limits but just know if your limits show you're not comfortable in your own skin you'll get passed on time and time again. Photographers want someone who is comfortable, professional, and who really wants to help them create with their talent and professionalism. smile

A lot of High Fashion Models ( such as Giselle and Adriana Lima ) for editorials and such clients as SI , While they may not get paid much for such - this style work ( tastefully and expertly done ) does enhance their brand

Aug 20 15 12:42 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Garry k wrote:

A lot of High Fashion Models ( such as Giselle and Adriana Lima ) for editorials and such clients as SI , While they may not get paid much for such - this style work ( tastefully and expertly done ) does enhance their brand

We're not talking about supermodels here.

Aug 20 15 01:42 pm Link

Photographer

IMAGINERIES

New York, New York, US

Being an amateur, and photography been a hobby, I feel I should be paying the model if she is experienced and a "muse like"
collaborator. Some models fees are well over my budget, so I move on.....But I found enough to overcrowd my port!

Aug 20 15 03:59 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Model Sarah wrote:
if your limits show you're not comfortable in your own skin you'll get passed on time and time again. Photographers want someone who is comfortable, professional, and who really wants to help them create with their talent and professionalism. smile

I am quoting Sarah, but Korin and Isis22 covered similar ground and each are about as experienced and capable a model as you are likely to find.

There is a spontaneity that is lost when the model wants to second guess every pose in case something is showing.

I have done quite a few shoots with models where the aim was to produce implieds, but the successful shoots were always within the context of not being too fussy during the shoot and working backwards afterwards to find the right photos.

As for pay, it is OK for an "implied only" model to pay the photographer.

Aug 20 15 04:00 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Model Sarah wrote:

Not true at all. It used to be that way but because everyone has access to the internet and professional gear there are many creative people working on projects constantly. My business has only evolved and gotten busier over the years. Many of these people realize that hiring a professional model who loves what they do will only enhance their creative process, which as a photographer they have the utmost control over. Their portfolio can only evolve by doing this and it does. smile

I didn't say otherwise, I am saying that isn't where the money is.  A low end catalog shoot would pay $1500 - $2500 a day and may last for up to a week, most photographers would not pay anything close to that.

Aug 21 15 07:02 am Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

Model Sarah wrote:
We're not talking about supermodels here.

It seems no matter how new or inexperienced a model is, forum conversations usually end up discussing things that pertain only to the most successful, most experienced models. A new model with 5 shoots under her belt can ask about rates, and the discussion ends up focusing on what the most experienced full time traveling MM models charge, what seasoned agency models make or even what top fashion models make, things that have noting to do with the OP's position.     

It's like a beginner golfer asking about what clubs a beginner should buy and having a discussion that focuses on what top golfers on the PGA tour are using.

Aug 21 15 07:37 am Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

I think that if you can find photographers willing to pay you for implieds, then you can be paid. As others have noted, it's not likely to be very often but every situation is different.

I'm paid to be naked, plain and simple. If a photographer or artist wishes me to pose in a way that everything shows, that's the pose I will present. If they wish me to pose in a demure way that doesn't reveal anything, I am still naked and still get paid the same amount. What I have experienced in the past is that there may be a small number of poses in a given assignment which are implied, but the vast majority aren't.  Even if you did an entire session of implied poses, you would still be naked the whole time.

Aug 21 15 08:19 am Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

AJ_In_Atlanta wrote:
I didn't say otherwise, I am saying that isn't where the money is.  A low end catalog shoot would pay $1500 - $2500 a day and may last for up to a week, most photographers would not pay anything close to that.

Wrong again.

But I digress... You're talking about a completely different genre of modeling that has nothing to do with anything in this thread.

Aug 21 15 10:21 am Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Abbitt Photography wrote:

It seems no matter how new or inexperienced a model is, forum conversations usually end up discussing things that pertain only to the most successful, most experienced models. A new model with 5 shoots under her belt can ask about rates, and the discussion ends up focusing on what the most experienced full time traveling MM models charge, what seasoned agency models make or even what top fashion models make, things that have noting to do with the OP's position.     

It's like a beginner golfer asking about what clubs a beginner should buy and having a discussion that focuses on what top golfers on the PGA tour are using.

Yeah, I mean there is all kinds of modeling. It's not just commercial and fashion anymore in the spotlight. Thanks to the internet everyone now knows people like myself have existed forever. From paintings to cameras it's always been a thing.

Aug 21 15 10:22 am Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

I don't really shoot implied nude per se.  My final image shows implied nude, it does not mean that the model is not naked in front of me or people on the set.  If she worries someone seeing her exposed nipples, it is better not doing implied nude at all.  Her facial expression will kill the images. 

The model must think that being naked does not equal to sex.  When someone sees you naked does not equate of losing your virginity, and you become less valuable in the society of men.

In the end, it is the model's choice where she want to take her modeling career.

Aug 21 15 10:39 am Link

Photographer

Decay of Memory

Asheville, North Carolina, US

I pay for models who are going to show up, get naked, and do whatever it takes to get the images I'm after. Moving away from that there's a pretty precipitous decline in my interest; I've never worked with a model who wanted to set a limit at "implied". As a general matter I just don't shoot clothes and the postural contortions or framing involved in keeping someone nude from showing some bit or region they're shy about out of the picture is nothing I'm interested in exploring.

Aug 21 15 11:02 am Link