Forums > Photography Talk > Finally got a new laptop

Photographer

Instinct Images

San Diego, California, US

My old laptop was slowly dying so it was time to upgrade. I finally settled on a MSI PE70 which has an Intel Core i7-4520HQ processor with 16GB RAM and 1TB HDD along with Nvidia GTX 950m graphics card. I decided to add a 120GB SSD as the boot drive (it has a separate slot for a m.2 format SSD in addition to the 2.5" HDD). I upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 since I'm starting from scratch and it boots in under 10 seconds. Amazing.

Now I'm moving from Photoshop CS5 to Photoshop CC and Lightroom CC. I don't have almost any experience with Lightroom so I'm looking for any tips or recommendations so I can start out doing things the right way. Any recommendations? Other tools/software I should install? Other tips for a new computer?

Aug 22 15 12:07 am Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

Particularly if you're just starting out with raw conversion software (and not chin deep in Lightroom), you owe it to yourself to look at Phase One's Capture One Pro rather than Lightroom. I upgraded from Lightroom a couple of years ago to Capture One Pro and SO glad I did, But, I'm a fashion and beauty photographer, it may be too much for some.

Aug 22 15 12:04 pm Link

Photographer

Instinct Images

San Diego, California, US

I've tried Capture One previously and hated the workflow. I've been shooting RAW for about 7 or 8 years so I have plenty of experience doing RAW conversion using Canon's DPP and ACR but thanks for the suggestion.

Booting Windows 10 from the SSD is amazingly fast. From power on to logged in is about 15 seconds!

One thing I didn't realize is how much better a good display makes on a laptop. What a difference!!!

Aug 23 15 04:06 pm Link