Forums > Critique > Serious Critique > Can you all critique my topless shot in the

Model

Stella Sidney

Los Angeles, California, US

in the lil' ol' green dress

thaaaaaaaanks

Aug 27 15 09:24 pm Link

Photographer

noel marrero

Menlo Park, California, US

I always find it challenging to provide serious critique for a model unless it's a truly exceptional shot.  Part of this is because you don't know how much is direction from the photographer, and how much is what the model brings himself or herself.   It's especially difficult in this case because of the size of the image.  So instead I'll tell you what I'm looking for, and you can try to judge for yourself how you added or subtracted from the shot in those regards.

I want a cohesive story.  The background, the crop, the lines, the lighting by the photographer and the expression, the shape, and the action of the model all need to come together to tell a unified story.

In this particular case, I can't really tell where you are or why, so it's hard to see what the story is there.  For you expression and pose, again, not enough detail to see how well you missed, or nailed the expression especially with the hair covering half the face.  But to a certain extent, me not knowing probably means you didn't hit it.

The head tilting away, and hand holding arm, strike me as "shy", yet there you are with your top off.  So I don't really understand.  If you were being obviously seductive, or if your pose and actions hinted more of a wardrobe malfunction then it might make more sense to me.

So next time, I would say if you are going for shy, don't be so bold in the straight up pose and shoulders.  Round your shoulders and possible hunch a bit to show you are protecting yourself with your body language.  If it's a seduction, let me see your expression instead of hiding behind the hair.

Aug 27 15 11:40 pm Link

Photographer

Kris Krieg

Missoula, Montana, US

I think your expression is quite sincere and flirty. I understand Noel's (previous poster) conflict of your expression being shy, yet you have your top down. However, many women get a little shy when they expose themselves, so I find the moment to be endearing and authentic. I can see why someone would want to see more of a storyline, but I also find little moments like this photograph to have value too. My only critique of the image is I wish your hand wasn't cut off by framing. You have a great smile and attractive figure. Keep rockin' it.

Aug 28 15 08:57 pm Link

Photographer

Biggs

Sheffield, England, United Kingdom

You are a little too coy for my tastes and its all about taste so take or leave the critique. The image is really too small to make a detailed judgement. You seem a little old to be acting like a 16 year old showing her boyfriend her assets for the first time so to speak. I don't really believe in then character in the image. Though I suppose, at 22 you could be a late starter. Sweet breasts but little else to say, other than if you've got it, flaunt it.

Aug 30 15 02:29 am Link

Photographer

Fist Full of Ish

Aiken, South Carolina, US

Why is the image so small?  Ask the photographer for images that are at least 800 pixels wide.
I notice that the perspective on your face is always about the same.  Maybe try some other poses.
The pic has some composition faults.   The more I think about it, the more I agree with the previous comments.  'One thing to add:  somehow, it seems more appropriate for this shot if you were to bring your chest out; shoulders back, head up and face the camera.

Aug 30 15 01:50 pm Link

Photographer

Lallure Photographic

Taylors, South Carolina, US

For your part, the hair is a mess, and the head tilt is a little too much. The smile is way too big.

For the photography.......the background bright areas compete with the model. The model has too little front space, in the image. The left hand is cut off.

Sep 14 15 03:07 pm Link

Photographer

Account Dead dead dead

London, England, United Kingdom

Fist Full of Ish wrote:
Why is the image so small?  Ask the photographer for images that are at least 800 pixels wide.

+1
It's almost pointless putting up a picture that's so small.
Pretty girl, v nice breasts (since you asked), but it would be great to see you showing some emotion. Give it some va-va-voom, some phwoooar in your modelling.

Good luck

Sep 21 15 06:56 am Link

Photographer

WCR3

Houston, Texas, US

Hair unkempt and in your face. Unattractive expression. Left arm cut off at the wrist. Pale breasts against a tanned chest and face. Awkward bending of the neck. Bright background drawing the eye away from you and into the distance.

You can do better, much better, as in the b&w of you on the stool.

Sep 23 15 02:59 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

The good:

As you get older, you're beginning to get the sort of look you've obviously been after. You look taller, and more filled-out.  Don't mean bustier - I mean that you look more like an attractive adult, and less like a kid playing dress-up.

The bad:

This photo doesn't show any of that. Between the tilt of your head, the hair, and the dark lipstick, that could be anybody in that photo. That girl could be 15 or 50.

I guess that in the right series, it could be a good image for the photographer. It certainly isn't doing you any favors though.

Oct 01 15 09:04 pm Link