Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Alief (mental state)

Photographer

Bobby C

Bangkok, Bangkok, Thailand

/educational
This is a very interesting concept.
" ...an alief is an automatic or habitual belief-like attitude, particularly one that is in tension with a person’s explicit beliefs.[1]

For example, a person standing on a transparent balcony may believe that they are safe, but alieve that they are in danger. A person watching a sad movie may believe that the characters are completely fictional, but their aliefs may lead them to cry nonetheless. A person who is hesitant to eat fudge that has been formed into the shape of feces, or who exhibits reluctance in drinking from a sterilized bedpan may believe that the substances are safe to eat and drink, but may alieve that they are not. And a person who believes in racial equality may nonetheless have aliefs that cause them to treat people of different racial groups in subtly different ways.
The term alief was introduced by Tamar Gendler, a Professor of Philosophy and Cognitive Science at Yale University
..."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alief_%28mental_state%29

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCBALVumrUQ

Sep 15 15 11:46 am Link

Model

Alexey VS

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

It is not a bad concept, even though I do not like the term they chose for it, but it could be worse :-)

Sep 15 15 12:23 pm Link

Artist/Painter

ethasleftthebuilding

Key West, Florida, US

alief = fancy Yale term for "roller coaster syndrome"  LOL

Sep 15 15 12:25 pm Link

Photographer

Evan Hiltunen

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

alief: the process of desperately attempting to coin an awkward term to bolsters one's academic self-esteem.

Sep 15 15 06:19 pm Link

Photographer

D a v i d s o n

Gig Harbor, Washington, US

ernst tischler wrote:
alief = fancy Yale term for "roller coaster syndrome"  LOL

Yep +1

Sep 15 15 07:17 pm Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

definitely sounds like a Yale idea.

Sep 15 15 07:49 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

Not sure we needed a word for it. Not sure we didn't either though.

We've been able to describe the concept just fine for millenia, but having a term for it allows us to describe it quickly. It also has the potential to do away with the more intricate descriptions we usually use to describe a human condition. Sometimes the short, terse description robs us of just a little bit of that humanity.

But sometimes not.

I'm reminded of a line from the Sandman graphic novels. I'm paraphrasing from memory:

"What's the name for when you can't remember what an old lover smells like anymore?"
"Mercy."

Sep 15 15 08:30 pm Link

Photographer

Roy Hubbard

East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania, US

Zack Zoll wrote:
Not sure we needed a word for it. Not sure we didn't either though.

We've been able to describe the concept just fine for millenia, but having a term for it allows us to describe it quickly. It also has the potential to do away with the more intricate descriptions we usually use to describe a human condition. Sometimes the short, terse description robs us of just a little bit of that humanity.

But sometimes not.

I'm reminded of a line from the Sandman graphic novels. I'm paraphrasing from memory:

"What's the name for when you can't remember what an old lover smells like anymore?"
"Mercy."

Sounds like some sorta newspeak to me.

Sep 15 15 09:03 pm Link

Artist/Painter

ethasleftthebuilding

Key West, Florida, US

From the OP:

And a person who believes in racial equality may nonetheless have aliefs that cause them to treat people of different racial groups in subtly different ways.

I see where this nonsense is intended to go.

Sep 16 15 09:51 am Link

Photographer

Bobby C

From the OP

A person who is hesitant to eat fudge that has been formed into the shape of feces, or who exhibits reluctance in drinking from a sterilized bedpan may believe that the substances are safe to eat and drink, but may alieve that they are not.

Sep 16 15 09:59 am Link

Artist/Painter

ethasleftthebuilding

Key West, Florida, US

Bobby C wrote:
From the OP

LOL

Sep 16 15 10:14 am Link

Photographer

Bobby C

ernst tischler wrote:

DOA

Sep 16 15 12:19 pm Link

Artist/Painter

ethasleftthebuilding

Key West, Florida, US

Bobby C wrote:
DOA

ROFLMAO

Sep 16 15 02:10 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

ernst tischler wrote:
From the OP:

It's just a conscious/unconscious knowledge or belief thing. My issue with giving it a label, and removing the human element by discussing it in terms of tenses instead of in terms of people, is that it polarizes everything, and makes it black and white,right and wrong. People are not black and white.

I'm going to use a less overtly racist example. PLEASE keep in mind that I am making absolutely no judgement on the right and wrong of the speaker,and ONLY discussing the world 'alief.'

A politician is being interviewed on TV, and he says that we need to crack down on hoodlums and thugs.

Now today, we know that 'hoodlum' is a phrase often used to describe criminals that are specifically black. Originally, it meant the Irish. Or the Scottish- I forget which. But it was originally a term used in England to describe 'uncivilized' people from the UK. Thug has a similar history.

If we speak in terms of alief, we would say that this person may be all for racial equality, but he alieves that blacks are more likely to be criminals. That's what all those words mean, so that's how we take it.

If we take a human tact, we would say that he consciously knows he wants racial equality, but he subconsciously used the word hoodlum or thug or whatever, because those are the words ingrained in his mind. Your average politician is older, which means that to him, hoodlum or thug probably means Italian person. My grandmother used to talk about all the thugs on Jersey Shore, and she's an Italian from Long Island!

Or maybe he really was referring to black people, and he was using the 'new PC' code. But then it's not unconscious, is it?

By boiling it all down to a single word or concept, what we are doing is simplifying the conversation. Which can be good. But it also means that we are turning beliefs into 'you are right', and 'you are wrong.' Instead of discussing ingrained or other unconscious ideas, we're discussing 'beliefs' and 'true beliefs.'

Sep 16 15 04:49 pm Link