This thread was locked on 2015-10-31 08:14:46
Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > CNN presidential debate.

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

CNN gave way too much time to Trump, like pandering for rating. First one to interview right after the debate? Guess who? Donald Trump.

Sep 16 15 08:25 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Laguna Beach, California, US

wait a minute. are you suggesting that tv news news outlets might make decisions based solely on potential ratings? no way! lol

Sep 17 15 01:37 am Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

I've read that the reason James Bond films got darker and more serious after the whole Austin Powers trilogy is that Mike Myers was so successful at lampooning James Bond that they couldn't go back to the campy jokes and overt innuendo.

I wonder how SNL will react to the Republican Debates??

Sep 17 15 01:52 am Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

I think CNN was trying to pit them against each other but it wasn't too successful.  Donald Trump didn't come in fighting spirit.  He also started looking a little haggard toward the last hour.  Me too.  That was a lot of politics for me.

Sep 17 15 02:14 am Link

Photographer

TomFRohwer

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

Besides any political opinions (which of course are subjective) one can't deny that Donald Trump's hairstyle is just an insult for anyone with any sound sense of taste...

Sep 17 15 02:49 am Link

Artist/Painter

ethasleftthebuilding

Key West, Florida, US

I liked the format of the CNN debate much better than the FOX debate last month.  The concept that if another candidate is mentioned, that candidate is given time to respond made it somewhat more of an actual debate instead of a lined up question/answer session.

I also think it is great that so many Republicans are willing to put themselves out there and run for the Republican nomination...and so many new faces who have not run for President before. 

I wish the Democrats had just as many running in their nomination...or some new faces.

Sep 17 15 06:45 am Link

Artist/Painter

ethasleftthebuilding

Key West, Florida, US

martin b wrote:
I think CNN was trying to pit them against each other but it wasn't too successful.  Donald Trump didn't come in fighting spirit.  He also started looking a little haggard toward the last hour.  Me too.  That was a lot of politics for me.

The guys on the radio were talking about Trump this morning.  One commented about Trump seemed to lose some steam and look tired about halfway through the three hour debate.  The other said he wondered how hard Trump is accustomed to working...because Presidential campaigns required long hours, constant travel without many breaks.

Sep 17 15 06:48 am Link

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

Los Angeles, California, US

Trumptool, OR ToolTrump

Sep 17 15 06:53 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

I missed the first, oh, 4 hours.  Was there any explanation of why the were standing in front of an airplane?

Sep 17 15 07:32 am Link

Photographer

GK photo

three hours was entirely too long for a debate. and the first hour spent asking questions of the candidates to respond to accusations and quotes from other competitors was pretty weak. it was pedantic and unnecessary. that whole thing could have been done in two hours, whilst eliminating all the tabloid questions.

Sep 17 15 07:41 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
I missed the first, oh, 4 hours.  Was there any explanation of why the were standing in front of an airplane?

They wanted to show that Trump isn't the only one with access to an airplane... big_smile big_smile big_smile

Sep 17 15 07:48 am Link

Photographer

D a v i d s o n

Gig Harbor, Washington, US

CNN Tried to tear down Trump with questions of the candidates to respond to giving the most time to Trump and it Failed.
Trump again held his own, also I agree with Trump what was Rand Paul even doing there with 1 percent .

Sep 17 15 07:56 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Man!  I hate politics.  My observation:  there are several different types of politicians & political tactics, and most of them are bad.  These include...

...  Insult the competition, often using sarcasm.
...  Claim that when elected, they will make changes, but the position is not empowered to make those changes.
...  Being a "Washington outsider" is a good thing.
...  Hypocrites -- people who do exactly the opposite of what they say they will do.
...  Claiming to be "a person of the people" while pandering to the 1%.
...  Liars, liars, liars.
...  Willing to step over their sick spouse in order to get camera time.
...  People demonstrating that we can & should pick & choose what laws & Bible guidelines that will support.
...  Fear mongers.
...  Insulting to vast segments of our society.
...  Sounding tough, but not being tough.

I call the political campaign season "The Lying Season".  Goodness, I hate politics!

Sep 17 15 09:01 am Link

Photographer

What Fun Productions

Phoenix, Arizona, US

GK photo wrote:
three hours was entirely too long for a debate. and the first hour spent asking questions of the candidates to respond to accusations and quotes from other competitors was pretty weak. it was pedantic and unnecessary. that whole thing could have been done in two hours, whilst eliminating all the tabloid questions.

I agree.

Sep 17 15 09:05 am Link

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

I was jumping between a classic movie, and the debates  .  .  .  which one was this image from  .  .  .

https://www.theblaze.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/citizenkane41.jpg

.  .  .  and why did they misspell "Trump"  .  .  .  wink

SOS

Sep 17 15 09:13 am Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

Chuckarelei wrote:
CNN gave way too much time to Trump, like pandering for rating. First one to interview right after the debate? Guess who? Donald Trump.

I have an astute, accurate and good answer to your opening post, ... but alas, ....

Brian Diaz wrote:

If you are fond of President Reagan as our last great and serious President who was popularly loved by the people who voted him into office against the wishes of those who normally control our government and it's succession of lame presidents, and have not yet been for a visit, you should visit the Reagan Library. It's a beautiful and impressive place. That plane was a profound part of history.

There was a lot of heady foreign policy going on in those years when President Reagan and the talented people around him lead the United States and the rest of the free world to victory in the Cold War and managed to dismantle the Soviet Union without triggering unspeakable disasters. With the collapse of the Soviet Union, liberation from tryanny was breaking out all over the world. It was a deep-rooted fundamental transformation that freed hundreds of millions, if not billions, of people from political oppression.

The plane in the background is Air Force One during the Reagan Administration and it's hangar is one of the larger venues at the Reagan Library for hosting lots of people. Reagan's Air Force One is usually open for visitors to walk through and experience.

http://www.reaganfoundation.org/listvie … mp;argsb=N

That would be the short answer to your question.

Sep 17 15 09:22 am Link

Photographer

Bobby C

Bangkok, Bangkok, Thailand

sospix wrote:
I...
SOS

Not sure if scary or funny. lol
https://srchronicles.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/clowns_are_scary_as_hell_by_futurelisa1.jpg

Sep 17 15 09:27 am Link

Photographer

Michael Bots

Kingston, Ontario, Canada

Jake Tapper on Moderating a Republican Debate
https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=26&v=msXZEnDhW1E
http://investmentwatchblog.com/cnns-jak … ey-dont-w/

Brian Diaz wrote:

udor wrote:
They wanted to show that Trump isn't the only one with access to an airplane... big_smile big_smile big_smile

Location was at the Reagan Presidential Library -- the hanger there contains Reagan's  Air Force One

(not really so crazy -- replacements are the current 747s -- the old (by decades) plane, if it was to be sold, or otherwise re-used would have very limited value because it would need a complete overhaul to remove and replace the custom interior and special communications gear etc -- so you have an impressive museum piece instead.  Just swap in some old end of life engines and park it.)

New 747-8's are to be the new Air Force Ones.   It's already in the works.

Sep 17 15 09:31 am Link

Artist/Painter

ethasleftthebuilding

Key West, Florida, US

Brian Diaz wrote:

The debate was hosted by the Reagan Presidential Library.  That is where the old 707 Air Force One plane is on display.  It is the second 707 used as Air Force One.

The first 707 used as Air Force One is at the Air Force Museum in Ohio.

Sep 17 15 09:49 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Click Hamilton wrote:
The plane in the background is Air Force One during the Reagan Administration and it's in one of the larger venues for hosting lots of people. Reagan's Air Force One is usually open for visitors to walk through and experience.

I get that part.  What I didn't get was why they chose that location.  Personally, I found it distracting from the messages the candidates were offering. 

Unfortunately, I think it speaks to CNN's quest for ratings, rather than reporting the issues.  An more neutral auditorium might have bored viewers and lost some ad revenue.  Sigh.

Sep 17 15 09:49 am Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

Brian Diaz wrote:
I get that part.  What I didn't get was why they chose that location.  Personally, I found it distracting from the messages the candidates were offering. 

Unfortunately, I think it speaks to CNN's quest for ratings, rather than reporting the issues.  An more neutral auditorium might have bored viewers and lost some ad revenue.  Sigh.

It's too bad there is so much hype.

Watching the debates comes across like a "real life" choreography of the Hunger Games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtoAjFwKBmU

https://wearemoviegeeks.com/wp-content/uploads/Untitled-1222.jpg

Sep 17 15 10:05 am Link

Artist/Painter

ethasleftthebuilding

Key West, Florida, US

Brian Diaz wrote:

I'm not sure if CNN selected the location or if the Republican National Committee made the selection. 

I can totally understand why the RNC would select the Reagan Library and use Air Force One as the backdrop.  It is a play to those who fondly remember Reagan and think about that is the plane that took Reagan to Berlin where her said "tear down this wall" and also took Reagan to meetings with Gorbachev in the years before the collapse of the Soviet Union.  Think about that in the context of how weak the US appears today on the world stage.  The Republicans were making a statement with that location choice.

Sep 17 15 10:07 am Link

Artist/Painter

ethasleftthebuilding

Key West, Florida, US

Click Hamilton wrote:
It's too bad there is so much hype.

Watching the debates comes across like a "real life" choreography of the Hunger Games

I'd like to see actual debates, like the kind I recall attending at local political rallies when I was a kid.  All the candidates for a particular county office would stand on the stage, were each given a set time to introduce themselves.  The people attending the rally had filled out a topic card when they arrived, the debate began with the moderator giving the candidates a topic to discuss.  The topic found on the most cards was first.  The candidates would debate the topic, with the moderator only keeping time, for the set amount of time.  Then they were given the next topic.  ...and so on.

Sep 17 15 10:16 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

ernst tischler wrote:

I'm not sure if CNN selected the location or if the Republican National Committee made the selection. 

I can totally understand why the RNC would select the Reagan Library and use Air Force One as the backdrop.  It is a play to those who fondly remember Reagan and think about that is the plane that took Reagan to Berlin where her said "tear down this wall" and also took Reagan to meetings with Gorbachev in the years before the collapse of the Soviet Union.  Think about that in the context of how weak the US appears today on the world stage.  The Republicans were making a statement with that location choice.

Funny, since it was also the plane Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton used (as well as Nixon, Ford, and both Bushes).

Sep 17 15 10:23 am Link

Photographer

GK photo

they held another debate there in '07. i guess more folks watched this time. smile i was listening to it on the radio at that time. i was on the road. i didn't see the bird.

considering the thefts they've had at that library, i'm surprised no one has swiped the jet.

Sep 17 15 10:33 am Link

Photographer

What Fun Productions

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Sep 17 15 11:08 am Link

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

Brian Diaz wrote:

ernst tischler wrote:

Funny, since it was also the plane Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton used (as well as Nixon, Ford, and both Bushes).[/quote

SAM 27000's last flight as Air Force One was on 29 August 2001 when it flew President George W. Bush from San Antonio to Waco, Texas. Following the flight it was formally decommissioned, then flown to San Bernardino International Airport (former Norton AFB) in California. It was later dismantled and taken to the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library in Simi Valley, where it was reassembled and is on permanent display.

Sep 17 15 11:53 am Link

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

Brian Diaz wrote:

ernst tischler wrote:

Funny, since it was also the plane Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton used (as well as Nixon, Ford, and both Bushes).[/quote

SAM 27000's last flight as Air Force One was on 29 August 2001 when it flew President George W. Bush from San Antonio to Waco, Texas. Following the flight it was formally decommissioned, then flown to San Bernardino International Airport (former Norton AFB) in California. It was later dismantled and taken to the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library in Simi Valley, where it was reassembled and is on permanent display.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_VC-25

The VC-25 aircraft are flown by the Presidential Airlift Group and assigned to Air Mobility Command's 89th Airlift Wing at Joint Base Andrews in Maryland. Air Force One often operates in conjunction with Marine One helicopters that transport the President to and from airports in situations when this option is prefered over a vehicle motorcade. The VC-25 has served as the main aerial transport platform for Presidents George H.W. Bush, Bill Clinton, George W. Bush, and Barack Obama.

Sep 17 15 11:53 am Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

Brian Diaz wrote:

I'm sure CNN loves stamping their twirling logo and their other flashy graphics all over the Reagan Library background. Ad nauseam.

Sep 17 15 11:56 am Link

Artist/Painter

ethasleftthebuilding

Key West, Florida, US

DOUGLASFOTOS wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_VC-25

The VC-25 aircraft are flown by the Presidential Airlift Group and assigned to Air Mobility Command's 89th Airlift Wing at Joint Base Andrews in Maryland. Air Force One often operates in conjunction with Marine One helicopters that transport the President to and from airports in situations when this option is prefered over a vehicle motorcade. The VC-25 has served as the main aerial transport platform for Presidents George H.W. Bush, Bill Clinton, George W. Bush, and Barack Obama.

The plane is now at the Reagan library...thus my point of it possibly being used by the RNC as a statement.

Sep 17 15 12:05 pm Link

Artist/Painter

ethasleftthebuilding

Key West, Florida, US

Click Hamilton wrote:
I'm sure CNN loves stamping their twirling logo and their other flashy graphics all over the Reagan Library background. Ad nauseam.

For three hours one evening, CNN has the opportunity to get better ratings than FOX, and you complain about their use of flashy graphics and their twirling logo.  Geez, let them have their fleeting moment.

Sep 17 15 12:06 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

ernst tischler wrote:
For three hours one evening, CNN has the opportunity to get better ratings than FOX, and you complain about their use of flashy graphics and their twirling logo.  Geez, let them have their fleeting moment.

I have lost my tolerance for continually getting blasted in the face by so much obnoxious advertising, twirling graphics, zooming in and out, over-modulated audio, etc., etc., etc.

I cancelled my cable service a few years ago and I seek what substance I want by ad-blocking and filtering my sources on Internet. Things like Youtube, AppleTV and simply going to the websites I prefer helps to avoid lots of the other crap constantly being hurled at us.

I could not find an uninterrupted presentation or uninterpreted version of the debates last night, so I watched it today on youtube. That's good enough. Now after listening to it myself without spin, I'm ready to listen to a few interpretations and analysis.

For the most part, too many of those candidates were just beating their gums at each other like the egocentric camera whores they are.

Sep 17 15 01:00 pm Link

Photographer

FlirtynFun Photography

Houston, Texas, US

Click Hamilton wrote:

I have lost my tolerance for continually getting blasted in the face by so much obnoxious advertising, twirling graphics, zooming in and out, over-modulated audio, etc., etc., etc.

I cancelled my cable service a few years ago and I seek what substance I want by ad-blocking and filtering my sources on Internet. Things like Youtube, AppleTV and simply going to the websites I prefer helps to avoid lots of the other crap constantly being hurled at us.

I could not find an uninterrupted presentation or uninterpreted version of the debates last night, so I watched it today on youtube. That's good enough. Now after listening to it myself without spin, I'm ready to listen to a few interpretations and analysis.

For the most part, too many of those candidates were just beating their gums at each other like the egocentric camera whores they are.

This is one of the reasons I like my DVR. I can simple fast forward to the real stuff and not have to listen to Joy Bayhar bitch about a nurse.

Sep 17 15 01:28 pm Link

Photographer

Tony From Syracuse

Syracuse, New York, US

Trump does so well because so many of us feel like the "politicians" arent doing anything positive for america and are so blatantly out for themselves...that the only way to show our displeasure is to cut off our nose to spite our face and rally around someone who is totally unfit for office    its working...you can tell the politicians are just frazzled at trumps success.
where they once held up their nose at him...some of them are even mimicking his style now.

I'm not worried. generally no matter who goes in to office from the most meek to the most loud, generally once in office conforms themselves to a higher template due to necessity

Sep 17 15 02:18 pm Link

Artist/Painter

ethasleftthebuilding

Key West, Florida, US

ernst tischler wrote:

Click Hamilton wrote:

CNN, with all their flashy graphics and twirling logos, was making sure the viewers understand that they were watching the debate on CNN.  The CNN folks, with all the hype, were screaming "THIS REPUBLICAN DEBATE AIN'T ON FOX".  LOL

Sep 17 15 03:07 pm Link

Artist/Painter

ethasleftthebuilding

Key West, Florida, US

Tony From Syracuse wrote:
Trump does so well because so many of us feel like the "politicians" arent doing anything positive for america and are so blatantly out for themselves...that the only way to show our displeasure is to cut off our nose to spite our face and rally around someone who is totally unfit for office    its working...you can tell the politicians are just frazzled at trumps success.
where they once held up their nose at him...some of them are even mimicking his style now.

I'm not worried. generally no matter who goes in to office from the most meek to the most loud, generally once in office conforms themselves to a higher template due to necessity

I noticed last night that when Trump was asked to give details on something, he wouldn't (or couldn't do it).  He would simply repeat his talking points that he was going to do it.  It is working for him right now, six months from the first primary and over a year from the general election...but I'm not sure how long he can keep up the general promises without talking some substance.

Sep 17 15 03:11 pm Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

And then what happen to the other two moderators? Were they suppose to fill in the time gap when Jake Tapper take a bathroom break?

Sep 17 15 03:19 pm Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

aw shit.

The Silly Season is upon us in full force.

Grown men and women standing in front of millions, seeing who can get away with the biggest lie.

Saddest thing- some people believe them. (Too many gullible people confuse hope with workable plans.)

Gawd I am tired of being forced to choose the lesser evil, rather than a good candidate.

Sep 17 15 03:41 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

ernst tischler wrote:
I'd like to see actual debates, like the kind I recall attending at local political rallies when I was a kid.  All the candidates for a particular county office would stand on the stage, were each given a set time to introduce themselves.  The people attending the rally had filled out a topic card when they arrived, the debate began with the moderator giving the candidates a topic to discuss.  The topic found on the most cards was first.  The candidates would debate the topic, with the moderator only keeping time, for the set amount of time.  Then they were given the next topic.  ...and so on.

Sounds wonderful.

Now it's like WWE and all the broadcasters want exclusive control so they can sell something.

It's not easy for everyone to watch these things. It take effort.

Sep 17 15 04:10 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Bots

Kingston, Ontario, Canada

6'3" Jeb Bush stands on his tiptoes to tower over his rivals
https://twitter.com/DailyMail/status/64 … 76/photo/1

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CPHCjC9WsAQ7vKg.jpg

Wednesday's prime time GOP debate averaged 22.9 million viewers, making it the most-watched program in CNN's history.

http://money.cnn.com/2015/09/17/media/c … index.html

Sep 17 15 04:21 pm Link