Forums > Photography Talk > Reaching to model agency to test shoot

Photographer

jkcphotos15

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Wondering how do photographers reach out to model agencies for test shoots with their new models?
My intention is to build my portfolio and perfecting my skills—the photos will not be used in any commercial way.

- Do you submit a portfolio? (PDF, or is a link sufficed?)
- Is there a photography style they are looking for? (For reference: my work so far: Flickr
- Is it a TFP situation? Or is there monetary exchange involved? (I pay the agency? Agency pay me?)

Thanks ahead!

Sep 17 15 11:30 am Link

Photographer

Eyesso

Orlando, Florida, US

I'm actually at the same crossroad......I've grown with MM for a couple years, but I'm at a point where I'm shooting with agency models about half the time in the last few months, and there is a noticeable difference in the way the shoot goes.  So I guess I crave that higher level. 

I'd advise shooting with agency models....as a foot in the door?   I have photos that have made their way to different agency websites in Orlando, Miami, NYC.  So I imagine it might be helpful to say "I'm already on your website"....or maybe they'll just take it as arrogance.  I don't know, I'm no expert. 

Here's some links....
https://www.modelmayhem.com/education/p … l-agencies 

https://fstoppers.com/portraits/guide-w … art-1-2523

Sep 17 15 08:34 pm Link

Photographer

cheshiredave

Oakland, California, US

The way I got in with a local agency is that a friend became one of their models partly on the strength of a series I did with her, so I asked her to make an introduction for me. Now I'm getting an inquiry every week or two from a newly signed model with that agency asking to test with me. The agency is small and very new, but its owners are well-connected, and their models are getting great gigs.

It's an interesting relationship: I'm not getting paid, but I'm still extremely focused on keeping the agency and its models happy. I'm probably saying yes to the models more than I should -- not that I don't want to shoot with any of them but I can't afford to do too many TF shoots. On the plus side, I'm working with models who (in general) really know what they're doing, and of course they're gorgeous too.

And hoping that my happy agency and models will get my name out into the wider world of clients who will *pay* me to shoot with these wonderful models. smile

Sep 17 15 08:47 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

Sep 17 15 09:07 pm Link

Photographer

Mortonovich

San Diego, California, US

And whatever you do, don't use the term TFP with them. They will instantly go "WTF.... internet photographer. Bye."
It's "testing".

Sep 18 15 07:20 am Link

Photographer

DennisRoliffPhotography

Akron, Ohio, US

Mortonovich wrote:
And whatever you do, don't use the term TFP with them. They will instantly go "WTF.... internet photographer. Bye."
It's "testing".

This^^

Sep 18 15 08:16 am Link

Photographer

Jean-Claude Vorgeack

Invest in a real site before you reach out.

Sep 18 15 11:47 am Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Mortonovich wrote:
It's "testing".

Ha ha - yep!

Oh - and don't present them with a release.

Sep 18 15 05:37 pm Link

Photographer

jkcphotos15

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Thanks for sharing the resources & your experience!
Building connections seems to be key (as always with anything in life...).

And thank you for pointing out the inappropriate use of 'TFP'... Glad I haven't reach out and embarrass myself!

Sep 19 15 10:01 pm Link

Photographer

TerrysPhotocountry

Rochester, New York, US

cheshiredave wrote:
The way I got in with a local agency is that a friend became one of their models partly on the strength of a series I did with her, so I asked her to make an introduction for me. Now I'm getting an inquiry every week or two from a newly signed model with that agency asking to test with me. The agency is small and very new, but its owners are well-connected, and their models are getting great gigs.

It's an interesting relationship: I'm not getting paid, but I'm still extremely focused on keeping the agency and its models happy. I'm probably saying yes to the models more than I should -- not that I don't want to shoot with any of them but I can't afford to do too many TF shoots. On the plus side, I'm working with models who (in general) really know what they're doing, and of course they're gorgeous too.

And hoping that my happy agency and models will get my name out into the wider world of clients who will *pay* me to shoot with these wonderful models. smile

Maybe they will hire you when they get married?

Sep 19 15 10:09 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

TerrysPhotocountry wrote:

Maybe they will hire you when they get married?

Don't laugh, has happened.
Although in my case it was my fav. model and it was a wedding gift.

Sep 25 15 11:28 am Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Mortonovich wrote:
It's "testing".

Trade, is also an ancient term.

And there is a subtle diff. between the two, which seems to change every couple of years.

Testing, used to mean, testing equipment, a concept, or seeing if the model will work for a job. No expectation of usable images.

Trade, used to mean, no money exchange of time and effort to see if we can come up with images that we can both use to promote ourselves.

Easy to see where trade and testing would often overlap.

And TFP was actually used, meaning the you promised the model actual prints for their portfolio. I used to give 11x14's.

TFP has now become an internet thing, and as stated marks you.

Gay no longer seems to have its original meaning in casual conversation.

Sep 25 15 11:36 am Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Herman Surkis wrote:
Testing, used to mean, testing equipment, a concept, or seeing if the model will work for a job. No expectation of usable images.

"Used to mean" for who... And when?
I've been working with fashion agencies since the early 90s and it's always been called testing - not "trade", not "TF*" : testing. And no one in that group ever thinks when one is referencing "testing" with models that they mean testing equipment.

Sep 25 15 01:47 pm Link

Photographer

Mikey McMichaels

New York, New York, US

cheshiredave wrote:

Just keep saying yes until the point where you're saying "Yes, I've got shoots every day for the next two weeks, but I'm open after that." At some point people will start paying so that they don't have to wait. You'll find they all turn to paid shoots pretty quickly after that.

Sep 25 15 03:18 pm Link