Forums > General Industry > Do models pay for wardrobe in advance?

Model

Elena Helms

New York, New York, US

Hi all!

I was asked to be in a TV Commercial. They told me that the flight and accommodation will be covered. And the payment is good. However, I have to pay them for wardrobe right now, in advance- $550. (The filming is in 2 weeks). Has anybody heard of anything like that? Does it make any sense to anyone?

Sep 25 15 06:24 pm Link

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

Los Angeles, California, US

Scam

Stop all Communication.

In the real world...They provide everything...and when the job is done..they pay.

No advance nothing.

Sep 25 15 06:42 pm Link

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

Scam

Stop all Communication.

In the real world...They provide everything...and when the job is done..they pay.

No advance nothing.

Sep 25 15 06:42 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Yep - SCAM - If it was an MM member who contacted you for this, report to Contact-A-Mod.

Sep 25 15 06:52 pm Link

Photographer

Top Gun Digital

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Sounds like nonsense to me.  BTW, since they are willing to pay for your travel expenses, what is the location of the shoot.  Is it in an out of the way place where there are no models or is the shoot to take place in a major market area where there are plenty of local models that could be used without having to pay travel expenses.  If the shoot is in a major city that would seen to be another tip off that this offer is bogus.

Sep 25 15 06:53 pm Link

Model

Elena Helms

New York, New York, US

I love you all for your time! That's what I thought too! because I have never heard of that, I decided to ask here. The location is Sacramento, and I am in Buffalo.

That's what i thought too- why would they want me to be there so much if CA is one of the major modeling markets?! They contacted me on facebook, through my modeling page. And they sent me an email with a contract that went to SCAM folder. I went to the agency website and it's not working, GOOGLE couldn't find it AT ALL!

Sep 25 15 07:03 pm Link

Photographer

Top Gun Digital

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Just follow the old saying - "If it seems to good to be true it probably isn't"  and you usually won't go wrong.

Sep 25 15 07:12 pm Link

Model

Jordan Bunniie

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

At absolute most they might ask you to provide things yourself that you most likely have (basics + Basic underwear which is usually just so you're not wearing their clothes without undies that wont show through garments) but always provide wardrobe otherwise. And NEVER would they make you pay for it like that, if they have budget to fly you out they have the money to provide wardrobe.

Sep 25 15 07:16 pm Link

Model

Jordan Bunniie

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Elena Helms wrote:
I love you all for your time! That's what I thought too! because I have never heard of that, I decided to ask here. The location is Sacramento, and I am in Buffalo.

That's what i thought too- why would they want me to be there so much if CA is one of the major modeling markets?! They contacted me on facebook, through my modeling page. And they sent me an email with a contract that went to SCAM folder. I went to the agency website and it's not working, GOOGLE couldn't find it AT ALL!

A million red flags, they dont need to fly talent to LA unless you're offering a specific thing and are famous for that thing. Facebook "offers" are like 1-100 chance of being anything more than some guy seeing how many pretty girls he can get excited about a fake job and send him money. (or her girls are shady too)

Hopefully this experience helps you figure out what is legit and not in the future to not waste any more time. smile

Sep 25 15 07:19 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Bots

Kingston, Ontario, Canada

TV commercial - out of town -
                  No audition?
That's the first red flag.

Pay for wardrobe?  The second red flag.  (the production company pays for that and there is usually a fitting before the shoot day)

This looks like a cheque advance scam setup. (or just a simple send a cheque for nothing  scam).
Typically --
   You get a cheque (usually by courier because the arrival time is predictable and you avoid mail fraud/postal inspectors) and deposit it.  They ask you to send part of that amount forward to somewhere else (again courier - speed is of the essence now) then the amount you sent clears and disappears in 2 days.  The original cheque then comes back to your bank in a week - bounced. You are out the amount you forwarded and your bank (maybe) flags your account and every future deposit you make is held for a week or more.

If there is any sort of address or tracking information (full email headers) or bank details in any of the email you received the Secret Service is who handles financial crimes, the FBI and Federal Trade Commission handles fraud. You can forward the info.
http://www.secretservice.gov/investigation/
https://www.fbi.gov/scams-safety/e-scams

Looks Too Good To Be True
http://www.lookstoogoodtobetrue.com/

Sep 27 15 09:07 pm Link