Forums > Model Colloquy > Feelings about home studios

Photographer

Mary Durante Youtt

Barnegat, New Jersey, US

Most of the images I shoot were done in either our NJ home studio or at our NYC apt studio.   As fine art photographers, my husband has rented studio space when the shoot involved leaping dancers.  Our models know this in advance.  No surprises.

Also I have seen some great photography done in the space of a closet by some very talented models and photographers. 

If you feel ill at ease, I wouldn't shoot anywhere with him or her.

Oct 28 15 12:57 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Wesley Photo Artist

Morrisville, North Carolina, US

Good conversation. I try to mix between outdoor and indoor shooting. When traveling, I nearly always shoot outdoor sessions in a public park--I can't just invent a studio when traveling.

However, I recently bought a townhouse and held (at the time of writing) 4 in-home-studio shoots using living room, dining room, master bedroom, spare bathroom, and back yard. So far, the models have been totally professional and cool about it. Not a single one said anything about the space, the cheap lights, the lack of backdrops, or using the master bed for lingerie and implied shoots. So, great stuff!

But, having an experienced model with a good attitude isn't quite like having a client. I haven't had a client here, so I'm not sure how that will turnout.

I don't have many of the shots  in my port from those sessions. A couple are still in editing, and  the fourth ended about an hour ago.

I guess, my two cents is that an experienced model should come into your space with a good attitude and nothing disparaging. Can you imagine how badly it would go over if you called out a model for an unexpected blemish?!

Oct 28 15 02:20 pm Link

Model

Eleanor Rose

PASO ROBLES, California, US

Laura UnBound wrote:
If their home is clean and their wife isn't trying to murder me, I don't care that we're shooting in their home.

+100

If they live in a one bedroom apartment so cluttered you can't see the floor it's unreasonable to expect a model to pose there. But many of my clients have studio setups in their homes and it's par for the course at this point. At least you know the bathroom isn't used by half a million people every week and there's free water available.

Given that I've had photographers rent a "studio" in the South Bay that's a room on the side of someone's house where the owner glares at you if you ask to use the restroom, I don't hold out much faith that studio rentals will automatically mean comfortable situations anymore. There's a reason I have and push a list of studios I recommend - I've already vetted them and know that they're clean, comfortable, and that the owners aren't creeps.

It's also why I'm trying so hard to set up a home studio in my place... Life is so much easier when I can just provide a location for the shoot.

Oct 30 15 03:08 pm Link

Photographer

D a v i d s o n

Gig Harbor, Washington, US

Eleanor Rose wrote:

+100

If they live in a one bedroom apartment so cluttered you can't see the floor it's unreasonable to expect a model to pose there. But many of my clients have studio setups in their homes and it's par for the course at this point. At least you know the bathroom isn't used by half a million people every week and there's free water available.

Given that I've had photographers rent a "studio" in the South Bay that's a room on the side of someone's house where the owner glares at you if you ask to use the restroom, I don't hold out much faith that studio rentals will automatically mean comfortable situations anymore. There's a reason I have and push a list of studios I recommend - I've already vetted them and know that they're clean, comfortable, and that the owners aren't creeps.

It's also why I'm trying so hard to set up a home studio in my place... Life is so much easier when I can just provide a location for the shoot.

Well said , if I was to say that I would be attacked to the enth degree thanks...

Oct 31 15 12:05 am Link

Photographer

Decay of Memory

Asheville, North Carolina, US

Eleanor Rose wrote:

Sounds like a great idea with a lot of potential,  I wish you the best of luck with it.

Oct 31 15 05:12 am Link

Model

Amelia Simone

Rosarito, Baja California, Mexico

I find them comfortable to work in. You can always adjust heat and AC (generally) when temperature isn't right, and you can use window/natural light without getting spotted by onlookers most times

Oct 31 15 04:59 pm Link

Model

Melissa Bader

Green Bay, Wisconsin, US

Abbitt Photography wrote:
I think it's also more common with newbie models who may just have it in their head that all shoots happen in big fancy studios.  I think most more experienced independent models have often shot in home studios and know it's a big part of their potential market.

I don't think it has to do with them having an idea of shooting in a big fancy studio, but more of a question of comfort. If they are a newbie, they might be worried going to someone's home, that they don't know. This is especially true if they have shot at even a small studio and then another shoot is at someone's home. It has nothing to do with their ego, but if they're a young, small female, safety is a concern. Especially if the shoot is nude or implied nudity, you can't blame a model for being cautious. Flaking out is awful and I hate when other models do it and they shouldn't if they don't want to, or at least ask to bring someone if they're really worried. Photographers that I have shot with at home studios always mention who else will be there, or if no one else will, and I appreciate that.

Nov 11 15 07:53 pm Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

We have a big house that we built in 1990 in a 4 ac land with a nice view.  It would be cool to shoot in our master bath Jacuzzi or by the Grand piano.  But the idea of bringing a total stranger or two (BF) into our house is unthinkable, since we travel so much.  I ended up renting a 4000 sq ft space in a rundown warehouse/old factory.  It has a 24 ft ceiling.  The building is totally empty, so now I have a studio just like the size of a Walmart.  The roof is as big as the football field. ...LOL.   

When the models show up, they usually say:  Whoa!!!.  The only problem I have is in the winter.  Since I only use the studio once a week at the most, I can't heat the place up.  Th studio is a kind of cold even we have propane heater blasting it away. 

Yeah, if the model does not like the home studio, it is fine with me.  big_smile

Nov 11 15 10:22 pm Link

Model

Kiara Zeel

Nashua, New Hampshire, US

The majority of places I shot were in home studios and if there is proper lighting, background, etc and pleasant conversation between the photographer and I, I am just as comfortable there as I am in another kind of studio.

Nov 18 15 05:36 pm Link