Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > The New Daily Show with Trevor Noah -- Thoughts?

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

So, whatcha guys think?  He's been on for almost a week.

Oct 01 15 01:14 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

He's got great writers and he is FANTASTIC at delivery but good god the interviews are bad. When Jon used to call people on their bullshit, he doesn't do that. The correspondents are HILARIOUS. I loved Klepper and that new guy with the police bias segment. That was fantastic.

Oct 01 15 01:21 pm Link

Photographer

Wye

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Model Sarah wrote:
He's got great writers and he is FANTASTIC at delivery but good god the interviews are bad. When Jon used to call people on their bullshit, he doesn't do that. The correspondents are HILARIOUS. I loved Klepper and that new guy with the police bias segment. That was fantastic.

Yeah.. interviews are definitely the weak point for him. I think it's youth and inexperience and nerves.  I suspect he'll find his footing and get better.

The rest of the show is quite good.  Trevor has great charisma... very likeable.  If the network and the audience give him a chance then I think he'll do very well.

Oct 01 15 01:43 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Wye wrote:

Yeah.. interviews are definitely the weak point for him. I think it's youth and inexperience and nerves.  I suspect he'll find his footing and get better.

The rest of the show is quite good.  Trevor has great charisma... very likeable.  If the network and the audience give him a chance then I think he'll do very well.

Totally agreed. When I watched that Chris Christie interview I was like; "dude, you clearly don't give a shit at all." That is kind of a bummer since election season is coming up. sad

Oct 01 15 01:50 pm Link

Photographer

Wye

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Model Sarah wrote:
Totally agreed. When I watched that Chris Christie interview I was like; "dude, you clearly don't give a shit at all." That is kind of a bummer since election season is coming up. sad

Him starting his job at this point in election season is like learning to play baseball during the playoffs.. he's going right into the deep end.  God help him. haha.

Oct 01 15 01:56 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Wye wrote:
Him starting his job at this point in election season is like learning to play baseball during the playoffs.. he's going right into the deep end.  God help him. haha.

Yeah but also I don't think he is as nearly as smart as Jon Stewart. He's a comedian and a smart guy but doesn't necessarily give two shits about the travesty of politics and media/hypocrisy and things like that. Like, I don't see him getting upset like Jon did about Fox News and their bullshit mountain and republicans claiming the "moocher" class was any different than rich people avoiding taxes and being taxed at 15%. I think Trevor is just a smart comedian but not highly intelligent and informed like Jon. Which is fine, but man that's one of the reasons I loved The Daily Show before was when Jon called people out. hmm

I guess I shouldn't compare because Trevor is replacing the irreplaceable, but still.

Oct 01 15 02:03 pm Link

Photographer

Tony From Syracuse

Syracuse, New York, US

the only guy I could see replacing Jon Stewart is that John Oliver guy.

Oct 01 15 02:32 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Tony From Syracuse wrote:
the only guy I could see replacing Jon Stewart is that John Oliver guy.

Yeah but he was so good at replacing him during last summer he got his own show lol

Oct 01 15 02:40 pm Link

Photographer

Tony From Syracuse

Syracuse, New York, US

I know but geeez, John Oliver is right off the bat as genuis and sharp and as witty. it would have been a great fit.
I think the show needed an established replacement. John would have came in with name factor and a pre audience who were fans already.  I hope trevor has fun, and while I do know the show just started,I'm not sure he has the killer instinct Jon had. but then again.....how much of the show is really the talking head? maybe its the writers that made Jon so good.
not sure if they are now the writers for trevor. if they are...then he'll probably be alright.

Oct 01 15 02:58 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

I really don't think it's fair to compare Jon and his 15 years of experience with Trevor and his 4 days of experience. I remember watching Jon's first week and thinking that it wasn't going to be the same without Craig Kilborn. Turns out it wasn't, thank god.

Trevor isn't Jon, and we shouldn't expect him to be. But give him time to figure out the role and work out his nerves.

And if he can't figure it out, he'll be replaced. That's show biz.

Oct 01 15 04:57 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
I really don't think it's fair to compare Jon and his 15 years of experience with Trevor and his 4 days of experience. I remember watching Jon's first week and thinking that it wasn't going to be the same without Craig Kilborn. Turns out it wasn't, thank god.

Trevor isn't Jon, and we shouldn't expect him to be. But give him time to figure out the role and work out his nerves.

And if he can't figure it out, he'll be replaced. That's show biz.

That's exactly what I just said.  It's unfair to compare the irreplaceable. I'm comparing the show. Stephen Colbert interviewed John Oliver and that's exactly what John Oliver said about Jon Stewart. I feel like Dave Letterman's show is completely replaceable and Stephen Colbert is doing his thing just not in that character which is exposing people who would otherwise not know the Colbert Report to something completely different that works.

Again, I'm not sure that interview stuff will improve that greatly because Jon was ALWAYS good at that. But again, like I said before, I am comparing what I liked about the show. Jon WAS the show. So, what I do like is Trevor's delivery and charisma. He's seriously pretty impressive with the first two segments and I almost like him better than Jon Stewart with that. But what I loved about Jon is how frustrated he would get with the media at covering things that didn't matter or reporting things from such a skewed perspective. That show and it's writers are clearly doing that still and Trevor's delivery and charisma are still sending the bullshit but not passionately, which again is completely fine. It's just different.

Oct 01 15 05:07 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

It was a long time ago, but when Stewart came to the Daily Show his resume was basically stand-up, bit parts in forgettable movies, and a failed MTV show. And as good as his stand-up was, it wasn't that different from Richard Lewis. I would say it took a couple years for him to (more or less) can the Lewis act.

If you're going to use Stewart as a benchmark, Noah is doing pretty well.

As far as getting an established face ... I don't think that would have been best for the network. An established face would have their own ideas, and wouldn't want to keep making the same show.

I think Noah is just feeling things out, and trying not to come across as too pushy and Hannity-like. It's a lot more acceptable to prod people once you've established yourself.

Again, Stewart. He wasn't always the guy he is now, and he had a lot less riding on him than Noah does. At that time, The Daily Show was mostly bro humor. He could have been a giant ass without killing the show or alienating people. Noah has a finer line to walk, because he is replacing someone with much more nuance and unpredicatability than Kilborn.

How much unpredictability? Wrestling!

Oct 01 15 05:50 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

I think it's interesting to look back at Jon's list of guests. For a whole year it was nothing but actors, comedians, and singers. He did 159 episodes before ever interviewing a politician (Bob Dole).

Trevor dove right in and interviewed Chris Christie 3 episodes in.

Oct 01 15 08:33 pm Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:
So, whatcha guys think?  He's been on for almost a week.

He's decent right now.

However I think it'll probably take about 6 months to a year for him to put his own stamp on the show.

Oct 01 15 08:49 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

I'll give him a long honeymoon period, but I miss Jon Stewart:
...  I kinda think Noah is being steered clear of more controversial material, stuff Stewart dived into.
...  Yes, Noah is weak at interviewing, but that's a skill that can be learned & improved.
...  Stewart made a lot of great points by saying nothing, just looking at the camera.  Noah can't do that (yet).
...  Frankly, I think a lot of the best writers left when Stewart did, and the current batch isn't as good.

I disagree with some of the previous posters:  John Oliver was good as a replacement, but not all that good.  I will say that Oliver is very well matched to his current show's format, where he dives into a single issue each show.  I enjoy his new show a lot.

Like I said, I miss Stewart.

Oct 02 15 09:11 am Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
I think it's interesting to look back at Jon's list of guests. For a whole year it was nothing but actors, comedians, and singers. He did 159 episodes before ever interviewing a politician (Bob Dole).

Trevor dove right in and interviewed Chris Christie 3 episodes in.

And that might of been when I was like; "dammit. I miss Stew beef."

Oct 02 15 08:34 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Zack Zoll wrote:
It was a long time ago, but when Stewart came to the Daily Show his resume was basically stand-up, bit parts in forgettable movies, and a failed MTV show. And as good as his stand-up was, it wasn't that different from Richard Lewis. I would say it took a couple years for him to (more or less) can the Lewis act.

If you're going to use Stewart as a benchmark, Noah is doing pretty well.

As far as getting an established face ... I don't think that would have been best for the network. An established face would have their own ideas, and wouldn't want to keep making the same show.

I think Noah is just feeling things out, and trying not to come across as too pushy and Hannity-like. It's a lot more acceptable to prod people once you've established yourself.

Again, Stewart. He wasn't always the guy he is now, and he had a lot less riding on him than Noah does. At that time, The Daily Show was mostly bro humor. He could have been a giant ass without killing the show or alienating people. Noah has a finer line to walk, because he is replacing someone with much more nuance and unpredicatability than Kilborn.

How much unpredictability? Wrestling!

I don't think he's feeling things out, I just don't think he cares about politics like that. If you're the host of a show like this you're 1. a comedian 2. a host 3. both of those things combined. It's like the pressure of being in a comedy roast but every day. I guess I use my experience with Larry Wilmore and the Nightly Show. If you guys haven't caught that, it's really really good but Larry took a while to be himself. I don't think Trevor Noah is doing that really, he's just figuring out how to do it better. I don't think being passionate about bullshit is one of those things BUT I'll keep tuning to be proven wrong. big_smile

Oct 02 15 08:40 pm Link

Photographer

Al Lock Photography

Bangkok, Bangkok, Thailand

I loved his bit on Trump making him feel right at home (home being Africa) and that Trump is very presidential (in an African continent context). Especially liked the matchups of Trump quotes with various African presidents' quotes - Quaddafi, Amin, etc. Not only were the clips and writing spot on, but his timing, gestures, facial expressions, etc. were perfect.

Oct 02 15 11:26 pm Link

Photographer

What Fun Productions

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee:

Trevor Noah

http://comediansincarsgettingcoffee.com … heid-jerry

Oct 03 15 06:43 am Link

Photographer

Justin

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

Al Lock Photography wrote:
I loved his bit on Trump making him feel right at home (home being Africa) and that Trump is very presidential (in an African continent context). Especially liked the matchups of Trump quotes with various African presidents' quotes - Quaddafi, Amin, etc. Not only were the clips and writing spot on, but his timing, gestures, facial expressions, etc. were perfect.

That clip is all I've seen, and agreed. Not all that funny, but funny enough - and spot on and frankly a bit scary.

Oct 03 15 06:51 am Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

I watched a clip he did well but I think CC should have made John Oliver and offer he couldn’t refuse(Dave Chappelle level $$$)
He's the only replacement I can see that could do the show any justice

Oct 03 15 08:18 am Link