Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Cell Phones and Driving

Photographer

Lovely Day Media

Vineland, New Jersey, US

Mark Salo wrote:
SUVs are evil!

I think drivers of SUVs are evil ... especially if it's a BMW or Mercedes.

Oct 05 15 10:35 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Paolo Diavolo wrote:
Kinda related:

Last week I drove Laguna Seca Raceway.
For those who aren't familiar theres a nortorious turn called the "corkscrew". Its a blind crest into a twisty turn that makes a huge drop.

I pulled out my phone to record the driver in front of me, while I was driving through the turn. Track photographer took a pic of me as I went through the turn.

Sort of embarrassing that I look like an epic dumbass going through one of the most difficult turns in motorsports holding a cell phone. Also kinda funny.

Thanks to video games and being awesome, I executed the turn perfectly. :p

/ego

Requests the cell-phone video you took of the person in front of you:)
... & how fast were you going?

I have to see that considering:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_3CUsHQ440

Oct 06 15 05:54 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Vintagevista wrote:
then there's all the dangerous A-holes merging onto the freeway... and cross 3 lanes of traffic...

Pardon the stereotype (still hilarious) -
lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpzDIMzt1Qo

Oct 06 15 06:04 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

This is interesting... Mythbusters does an experiment on a racetrack, driving on the cell vs. drunk driving.

Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vFcIpzF7pc

Part 2 missing? Bah

Part 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8LuM92Twm8

Oct 06 15 06:07 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Jules NYC wrote:

You should read the article if not page 9 specifically.
http://www.nsc.org/DistractedDrivingDoc … -Paper.pdf

"Hands free" means bluetooth/voice recognition.
Still contributes to the inattention blindness.

*I want you to look at the field of vision on pg. 9.

Check this though:

Numerous studies show delayed response and
reaction times when drivers are talking on hands-free
and handheld cell phones (Appendix A). Reaction
time has shown impairment in a variety of scenarios:

• A University of Utah driving simulator study
found drivers using cell phones had
slower reaction times than drivers impaired by
alcohol at a .08 blood alcohol concentration,
the legal intoxication limit.59 Braking time also
was delayed for drivers talking on hands-free
and handheld phones.

Studies are only as good as the agenda of those who conduct the study.  Often the studies should be studied.

Oct 06 15 06:12 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Jerry Nemeth wrote:

Studies are only as good as the agenda of those who conduct the study.  Often the studies should be studied.

It's a white paper.  Look at the source:)

Oct 06 15 06:27 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Jules NYC wrote:

It's a white paper.  Look at the source:)

I saw the source.  You are naive if you believe that organizations don't have agendas when they conduct studies.

Oct 06 15 06:31 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Jerry Nemeth wrote:
I saw the source.  You are naive if you believe that organizations don't have agendas when they conduct studies.

I understand that but facts are facts.

One can argue its validity but sourcing the source confirms what they are saying.

Oct 06 15 06:38 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Jules NYC wrote:

I understand that but facts are facts.

One can argue its validity but sourcing the source confirms what they are saying.

I drive and don't use a cellphone all the time like some people do.  Most of the time I just answer calls that's why I like answering a cellphone call from the radio.  I don't get distracted.

Oct 06 15 06:47 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Jerry Nemeth wrote:
I drive and don't use a cellphone all the time like some people do.  Most of the time I just answer calls that's why I like answering a cellphone call from the radio.  I don't get distracted.

You may think that.  I believe I can talk on my cell while driving too.  Thing is, after reading evidence (even if presented by the safety council) I'm rethinking my cellphone use in the car.  I beat a text-driving simulator and I may believe I'm not distracted either, but I believe in science.

There is still a debate if coffee is good or bad for you but I haven't read one study that proves talking through bluetooth is good for you or 'ok'.

Oct 06 15 06:53 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Jules NYC wrote:

You may think that.  I believe I can talk on my cell while driving too.  Thing is, after reading evidence (even if presented by the safety council) I'm rethinking my cellphone use in the car.  I beat a text-driving simulator and I may believe I'm not distracted either, but I believe in science.

There is still a debate if coffee is good or bad for you but I haven't read one study that proves talking through bluetooth is good for you or 'ok'.

My person study differs.  You live in NYC and read studies.  It's no fun to drive in NYC.
When I go to NYC I park in NJ and take the bus thru the Lincoln tunnel.

Oct 06 15 07:02 am Link

Photographer

Evan Hiltunen

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

I am always surprised when someone believes being on the cell phone, hands free or not, while driving, is not a distraction that impacts their driving abilities.

Back in the 1990's I immediately noticed that I was taking in much less visual information when doing the above. It was apparent that I would very quickly drift into a form of tunnel vision. Going hands free did not change it.

So, if driving while being on the phone becomes riskier for me, and I recognize the impact the phone is having, how much more dangerous when a person on the phone doesn't recognize the impact and will argue all day long that there is no impact?

Now I have Skull and Crossbones by Del tha Funky Homosapien playing in my head.

Oct 06 15 07:11 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Evan Hiltunen wrote:
I am always surprised when someone believes being on the cell phone, hands free or not, while driving, is not a distraction that impacts their driving abilities.

Back in the 1990's I immediately noticed that I was taking in much less visual information when doing the above. It was apparent that I would very quickly drift into a form of tunnel vision. Going hands free did not change it.

So, if driving while being on the phone becomes riskier for me, and I recognize the impact the phone is having, how much more dangerous when a person on the phone doesn't recognize the impact and will argue all day long that there is no impact?

Now I have Skull and Crossbones by Del tha Funky Homosapien playing in my head.

I believe that this is how talking on a cellphone personally affects "you".

Oct 06 15 07:20 am Link

Photographer

Evan Hiltunen

Jerry Nemeth wrote:

I believe that this is how talking on a cellphone personally affects "you".

Perhaps that is true. Now, since I noticed this long before whole bunches of studies were done, showing the same effect, it is likely that my brain has infected big groups of people to respond in the same way, but, luckily so far, it has not reached you.

Or, just as likely, or unlikely, your brain, which works in every other way in a very normal, typical way, is one of the very few that is not impacted, or influenced, by talking on the phone while driving.

If that is the case, your brain needs to be studied. The answers may lead to a treatment for everybody else (so they can be on the phone while driving without increasing the danger or risk).

Oh, how many times has a besotted fool said, "I drive better when I'm drunk"?

Oct 06 15 07:36 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Evan Hiltunen wrote:

Perhaps that is true. Now, since I noticed this long before whole bunches of studies were done, showing the same effect, it is likely that my brain has infected big groups of people to respond in the same way, but, luckily so far, it has not reached you.

Or, just as likely, or unlikely, your brain, which works in every other way in a very normal, typical way, is one of the very few that is not impacted, or influenced, by talking on the phone while driving.

If that is the case, your brain needs to be studied. The answers may lead to a treatment for everybody else (so they can be on the phone while driving without increasing the danger or risk).

Oh, how many times has a besotted fool said, "I drive better when I'm drunk"?

I don't use a cellphone any more than necessary.  As I said I use it though my car radio.

Oct 06 15 08:23 am Link

Photographer

Evan Hiltunen

Jerry Nemeth wrote:

I don't use a cellphone any more than necessary.  As I said I use it though my car radio.

Cool. You did not follow the link, and read the material, that I provided and Jules also notes, did you?

Oct 06 15 08:38 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Evan Hiltunen wrote:

Cool. You did not follow the link, and read the material, that I provided and Jules also notes, did you?

As I said a study is only as good as the agenda of the organization that conducted it.

Oct 06 15 08:48 am Link

Photographer

Evan Hiltunen

Jerry Nemeth wrote:

As I said a study is only as good as the agenda of the organization that conducted it.

Good point. The link leads to a paper that cites many different studies.

Would you be willing to read it and give me your opinion on what the agenda is and if the studies cited also share the same agenda?

Oct 06 15 08:57 am Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

I think the bottom line is that some people cannot handle distractions while driving and others can.  I don't like the cell phone restrictions in my state, but I have also had many close calls with people texting while driving.  Perhaps the solution could be an endorsement on a drivers license which shows that you had some sort of safety training/testing for using a cell phone while at the wheel?  They could simply have someone answer a list of questions via cell phone while driving in a video game. Those who pass, get endorsed.  Those who fail get ticketed if an officer (or camera) sees them on a phone while committing other driving offenses.

Oct 06 15 09:03 am Link

Artist/Painter

ethasleftthebuilding

Key West, Florida, US

I find all the talk about attention span, brain function and multitasking amusing.

One only has to look around and observe other vehicles on the road to see that cell phone use does affect driving.

Oct 06 15 09:22 am Link

Photographer

Evan Hiltunen

Jay Dezelic wrote:
I think the bottom line is that some people cannot handle distractions while driving and others can.  I don't like the cell phone restrictions in my state, but I have also had many close calls with people texting while driving.  Perhaps the solution could be an endorsement on a drivers license which shows that you had some sort of safety training/testing for using a cell phone while at the wheel?  They could simply have someone answer a list of questions via cell phone while driving in a video game. Those who pass, get endorsed.  Those who fail get ticketed if an officer (or camera) sees them on a phone while committing other driving offenses.

Actually, Jay, the bottom line is really how the brain works, not whether or not a person believes they are a better driver or better than others at driving while distracted.

While it may exist, I am unaware of any training/safety programs that fundamentally change how the brain works. Certainly, people can learn to focus better, or a person's brain can be damaged, but there is no such thing as true multi-tasking. There is only attention switching.

Oct 06 15 09:24 am Link

Photographer

Evan Hiltunen

ernst tischler wrote:
I find all the talk about attention span, brain function and multitasking amusing.

One only has to look around and observe other vehicles on the road to see that cell phone use does affect driving.

Yes, but it only happens to other people (and there is an abundance of evidence).

It's just the other people. Not me.

Right? lol

Oct 06 15 09:26 am Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

Evan Hiltunen wrote:

Actually, Jay, the bottom line is really how the brain works, not whether or not a person believes they are a better driver or better than others at driving while distracted.

While it may exist, I am unaware of any training/safety programs that fundamentally change how the brain works. Certainly, people can learn to focus better, or a person's brain can be damaged, but there is no such thing as true multi-tasking. There is only attention switching.

So why can't some people walk and chew gum at the same time while others can drive hundreds of thousands of miles without a single incident?  If it's called "acute attention switching capability" instead of "multi-tasking", so be it. It would not be difficult to design a test that identified whether or not a person was capable of keeping there eyes on the road while using a cell phone.  At least it would provide a safer option to those who need to communicate while driving.

Because of my day job, the federal government requires me to be on-call for maritime emergencies.  Do I break state law by using a cell phone while driving, or do I break federal law by not responding to a call?

Oct 06 15 09:44 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

ernst tischler wrote:

Some people are constantly on the phone.

Oct 06 15 10:03 am Link

Photographer

Evan Hiltunen

Jay Dezelic wrote:

So why can't some people walk and chew gum at the same time while others can drive hundreds of thousands of miles without a single incident?  If it's called "acute attention switching capability" instead of "multi-tasking", so be it. It would not be difficult to design a test that identified whether or not a person was capable of keeping there eyes on the road while using a cell phone.  At least it would provide a safer option to those who need to communicate while driving.

Because of my day job, the federal government requires me to be on-call for maritime emergencies.  Do I break state law by using a cell phone while driving, or do I break federal law by not responding to a call?

There might be some information in here:

http://www.nsc.org/DistractedDrivingDoc … -Paper.pdf

If someone, not necessarily you, wishes to argue against the information provided in the link, without actually reading it, they may continue to do so, if it pleases them.

Oct 06 15 10:19 am Link

Artist/Painter

ethasleftthebuilding

Key West, Florida, US

ernst tischler wrote:

Evan Hiltunen wrote:
Yes, but it only happens to other people (and there is an abundance of evidence).

It's just the other people. Not me.

Right? lol

Anyone who uses a cell phone while driving (talking, texting, internet, etc) and claims it does not affect their driving is simply not telling the truth.  It affects everyone's driving (including mine). 

The first step of recovery is admitting there is a problem.

It reminds me of a trooper who pulled over a young woman who had been driving swerving all over the road.  The trooper  asked her, "don't you know you can't put on makeup while you are driving?"  The young woman replied, looking into the rearview mirror, "yes I can, and I look amazing!"

Oct 06 15 10:48 am Link

Artist/Painter

ethasleftthebuilding

Key West, Florida, US

Jay Dezelic wrote:

Pull over, stop and answer the call...breaking no laws.

Oct 06 15 10:50 am Link

Photographer

Evan Hiltunen

ernst tischler wrote:
Anyone who uses a cell phone while driving (talking, texting, internet, etc) and claims it does not affect their driving is simply not telling the truth.  It affects everyone's driving (including mine). 

The first step of recovery is admitting there is a problem.

It reminds me of a trooper who pulled over a young woman who had been driving swerving all over the road.  The trooper  asked her, "don't you know you can't put on makeup while you are driving?"  The young woman replied, looking into the rearview mirror, "yes I can, and I look amazing!"

Yep, and she truly believed it.

As to being on the phone while driving: just because you didn't drive into a tree, doesn't mean you didn't drive past the trees that you didn't even notice.

I understand why people believe there is no impact. Admitting it would make them feel like their abilities really aren't as good as they believe. It is more about pride, and maintaining it, than it is about realistically viewing our own abilities.

Oct 06 15 10:55 am Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

There are so many things that can distract a driver from paying attention to what they are supposed to be doing.

It's not practical to try to define and write a law and proscribe punishment for everything people do when they are driving.

What about looking at a GPS map? Or a paper map? Driving sleepy? Yelling at the kids in the back seat? Driving while inebriated? Road rage? Checking your email? Organizing a play list? Reading a book. Fumbling around for money for a toll booth? Applying makeup in the rear view mirror at 75mph? Reading a newspaper on the center console so nobody sees it? Eating a drippy fast food hamburger with a bag and french fried in your lap? Thinking about something that's stressing you out and not watching what's going on outside? Driving exhausted after a long day? Fighting with a significant other? Driving senile or inexperienced? Driving stupid? Day dreaming? Taking notes and making a list of things to do? Flossing teeth? Picking noses? Giving/receiving oral sex/hand jobs/etc? Finishing homework?

Drive defensively.

Oct 06 15 02:12 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

Remember this one from last year?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioLQLRwTKS8

Why was the woman not arrested for making a video movie while driving?

Oct 06 15 02:20 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MakeupGNee

Welwyn Garden City, England, United Kingdom

It's illegal here in the UK to use your mobile whilst driving.  Not that it stops anyone! It's definitely up there in my top 5 pet hates!

Oct 06 15 02:38 pm Link

Photographer

Evan Hiltunen

In Minnesota we have a distracted driving law that, basically, means if you are doing anything other than looking at the road with your hands on the wheel, you can be ticketed.

Taking a swig of water while driving? Yep, that could get you a ticket.

Same with eating, smoking, vaping, reaching down and looking at the stereo ....

I'm not sure if this is really a part of a campaign to improve driving habits or an open hunting policy to allow law enforcement to pull over just about anybody, for anything, and generate revenue.

Perhaps it is both.

Oct 06 15 02:38 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MakeupGNee

Evan Hiltunen wrote:
In Minnesota we have a distracted driving law that, basically, means if you are doing anything other than looking at the road with your hands on the wheel, you can be ticketed.

Taking a swig of water while driving? Yep, that could get you a ticket.

Same with eating, smoking, vaping, reaching down and looking at the stereo ....

I'm not sure if this is really a part of a campaign to improve driving habits or an open hunting policy to allow law enforcement to pull over just about anybody, for anything, and generate revenue.

Perhaps it is both.

That seems silly! What if you've been driving for awhile and feel a little sleepy?!  You'd need to turn the music up and get some fresh air to you, surely!

Oct 06 15 02:41 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

MakeupGNee wrote:

That seems silly! What if you've been driving for awhile and feel a little sleepy?!  You'd need to turn the music up and get some fresh air to you, surely!

I pull over to a rest stop and get some sleep.

Oct 06 15 02:44 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MakeupGNee

Jerry Nemeth wrote:

I pull over to a rest stop and get some sleep.

That would be the obvious thing to do if you're lucky enough to arrive to one quickly.  However, my suggestions would refresh you enough to keep your concentration until then.  Receiving a ticket for being sensible in that case seems silly.

Oct 06 15 02:50 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

MakeupGNee wrote:

That would be the obvious thing to do if you're lucky enough to arrive to one quickly.  However, my suggestions would refresh you enough to keep your concentration until then.  Receiving a ticket for being sensible in that case seems silly.

I've driven thousands of miles.  That is what I have done.
I've driven across the US, coast to coast, twice.

Oct 06 15 02:56 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Jerry Nemeth wrote:
My person study differs.  You live in NYC and read studies.  It's no fun to drive in NYC.
When I go to NYC I park in NJ and take the bus thru the Lincoln tunnel.

I live in CT.  I lived in Manhattan for three years, I didn't change my name/locale - makes no sense since my agency and all of my contacts are there.

Anyhoo, CT has highways like any other place and many windy roads with deer, raccoons, squirrels and foxes crossing your path.  I have driven in Manhattan plenty of times.  I have driven in Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Diego, Boston... even Tijuana so I think I've covered different territory.

I read plenty, yes.

Oct 06 15 03:06 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Jules NYC wrote:

I live in CT.  I lived in Manhattan for three years, I didn't change my name/locale - makes no sense since my agency and all of my contacts are there.

Anyhoo, CT has highways like any other place and many windy roads with deer, racoons, squirrels and foxes crossing your path.  I have driven in Manhattan plenty of times.  In Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Diego, Boston... even Tijuana so I think I've covered different territory.

I read plenty, yes.

I've driven in Manhattan in the past but don't care to anymore.  It's a hassle.  The closest I've driven was the Cross Bronx Expressway.  I've been to all those places also.  I took the taxi in Tijuana.

Oct 06 15 03:12 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Jerry Nemeth wrote:
I've driven in Manhattan in the past but don't care to anymore.  It's a hassle.  The closest I've driven was the Cross Bronx Expressway.  I've been to all those places also.  I took the taxi in Tijuana.

I had 4 friends in the back of my hatch of my Rx7 because they wanted to come. 
I lived in PB (San Diego) and said, hummm, I feel like going to Mexico today.

Whistles and tequila later...
lol

Oh yeah, this bluetooth/talking/texting thing:

https://www.cityprofile.com/forum/attachments/austin/34112d1314293468-new-texting-driving-laws-texas-texting-while-driving2.jpg

Oct 06 15 03:17 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Jules NYC wrote:

I had 4 friends in the back of my hatch of my Rx7 because they wanted to come. 
I lived in PB (San Diego) and said, hummm, I feel like going to Mexico today.

Whistles and tequila later...
lol

How did you like the RX7?
When I was in Acapulco I drank gallons of Margaritas.   smile

Oct 06 15 03:20 pm Link