Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Question for users of Hotwire.com

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

I use Hotwire.com frequently, to get cheap hotel rooms, when I travel. Has anyone ever tried to reserve/pay for a room after midnight on the night they want to stay there? For example, tonight is the 8th and I'm traveling a long distance. I'll need to find a place to sleep around 1 or 2am. I'm not sure what town I'll be in, or near, around that time, so it seems pointless to just stop driving and stay in one place if I feel like there's another hour of driving in me. I'd like to be able to find something for tonight on Hotwire, because it will save me at least $50, but I'm not sure what their protocol is for late night rooms, booked only an hour or two before you show up and after midnight.

Has anyone used this service, booked a room for that night at like 1am, then showed up at 2am?

Also, I know some places the front desk will close during early morning hours. I don't want to end up paying for somewhere to sleep via Hotwire, only to show up and find the front desk is closed for the night, so I end up losing money and still having to crash out in my car.

Oct 08 15 03:15 pm Link

Model

Kate Eaton

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I use these sites a lot. From my experience, it's impossible to book a room for the previous night after midnight (even if it's the same night, technically). What I do is call the hotels that I am interested in booking through Hotwire directly to reserve for that immediate night. I usually explain the situation (my inability to book online) and quote the Hotwire rate. Since Hotwire, Priceline et al. are taking a cut from that posted rate, the hotels, more often than not, are more than willing to deal directly with you for the same or a similar rate. Good luck :-)

Oct 08 15 03:58 pm Link

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

Los Angeles, California, US

Koryn wrote:
I use Hotwire.com frequently, to get cheap hotel rooms, when I travel. Has anyone ever tried to reserve/pay for a room after midnight on the night they want to stay there? For example, tonight is the 8th and I'm traveling a long distance. I'll need to find a place to sleep around 1 or 2am. I'm not sure what town I'll be in, or near, around that time, so it seems pointless to just stop driving and stay in one place if I feel like there's another hour of driving in me. I'd like to be able to find something for tonight on Hotwire, because it will save me at least $50, but I'm not sure what their protocol is for late night rooms, booked only an hour or two before you show up and after midnight.

Has anyone used this service, booked a room for that night at like 1am, then showed up at 2am?

Also, I know some places the front desk will close during early morning hours. I don't want to end up paying for somewhere to sleep via Hotwire, only to show up and find the front desk is closed for the night, so I end up losing money and still having to crash out in my car.

You should Call the Man.

You Should Call the Man.

Meaning..If your going to be late..call the Hotel and tell them. Right?

No Front Desk Closes at night!  What?  Huh?

If I know I am going to be late..You can call the hotel...or Email them.

Oct 08 15 04:20 pm Link

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

Los Angeles, California, US

Koryn wrote:

You should Call the Man.

You Should Call the Man.

Meaning..If your going to be late..call the Hotel and tell them. Right?

No Front Desk Closes at night!  What?  Huh?

If I know I am going to be late..You can call the hotel...or Email them.

All Hotels will hold the room till a certain time.

Oct 08 15 04:20 pm Link

Photographer

Instinct Images

San Diego, California, US

Kate Eaton wrote:
I use these sites a lot. From my experience, it's impossible to book a room for the previous night after midnight (even if it's the same night, technically). What I do is call the hotels that I am interested in booking through Hotwire directly to reserve for that immediate night. I usually explain the situation (my inability to book online) and quote the Hotwire rate. Since Hotwire, Priceline et al. are taking a cut from that posted rate, the hotels, more often than not, are more than willing to deal directly with you for the same or a similar rate. Good luck :-)

That sounds like great advice.

Oct 08 15 05:33 pm Link

Model

AmandaCecilia

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

i would call a hotwire representative to be on the safe side.

Oct 08 15 06:54 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

If I remember correctly, their TOS states you have to book it before 9 or 10pm. Here's what I do: I basically figure out whereabout I'm going to be then do a hotwire search on the cheapest/best hotel. I look on their map (they don't disclose the hotel to you) and then look on google to figure out which hotel it probably is. If you do that then call that hotel and ask them. Also, Hotwire has AMAZING customer service so I highly advise calling them. They are super helpful and nice.

Oct 08 15 09:02 pm Link