Forums > Photography Talk > Best Image Size to Submit to PhotoVogue?

Photographer

Glen Berry

Huntington, West Virginia, US

When submitting images to PhotoVogue (Vogue Italia's website), what size of image do they seem to prefer?

On their site, they only make a vague reference to keeping the "weight" of your uploads to less than 4MB. (They don't even specify whether that refers to the individual files, or the combined total of all the files you're uploading.)

For those folks who have succeeded in getting their images accepted, did you submit high-resolution images, or low-resolution images?

Can anyone tell me actual dimensions, measured in pixels, that they seem to prefer?

Oct 19 15 11:27 am Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

I don't think that they have any particular preference, apart from not putting your logo on them. 

Given that you can upload only two photos per day, 4Mb gives you plenty to play with, but my uploads are usually around 200K per photo.

Oct 19 15 03:13 pm Link

Photographer

Glen Berry

Rob Photosby wrote:
my uploads are usually around 200K per photo.

Ok, thanks. I'd like to get away from the file size measurement though. Roughly how large were your accepted images, measured in pixel width and height?

Oct 19 15 03:33 pm Link

Photographer

JAE

West Chester, Pennsylvania, US

All of mine have been web sized - 600x900 or 900x600. I don't think they care too much.

Oct 19 15 08:30 pm Link

Photographer

Glen Berry

Thanks, JAE. I appreciate it.

Oct 19 15 11:08 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Glen Berry wrote:

Ok, thanks. I'd like to get away from the file size measurement though. Roughly how large were your accepted images, measured in pixel width and height?

My submissions are usually between 1000 and 1500 pixels on the longest side, but you could probably go as low as 800 pixels if you like.

Oct 20 15 06:29 am Link

Photographer

Glen Berry

Thanks, guys. I really appreciate it.

I've submitted a few things, but nothing's been accepted so far. Up until now, I've submitted hi-res images, but I think I'll try lower resolution next time, just in case they didn't like dealing with the hi-res files.

It would be nice if I could also predict their preferences for image content, but that seems pretty random. I was looking through their "picture of the day" collection, but I haven't found any significant common traits among the winning images.

Oct 20 15 09:28 pm Link

Photographer

HarryL

Chicago, Illinois, US

JAE wrote:
All of mine have been web sized - 600x900 or 900x600. I don't think they care too much.

You must have tones of images there smile any Link to see them

Oct 22 15 06:36 pm Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Glen Berry wrote:
...It would be nice if I could also predict their preferences for image content, but that seems pretty random...

+1 QFT  Glen I'm not a major fan of PhotoVogue's esthetic... While VOGUE Italia is indeed one of the world's best-known fashion magazines... there seems to be somewhat of a disconnect between VOGUE Italia and PhotoVogue.  Yes I totally enjoy studying the image esthetics of my issues of VOGUE Italia, but not so with PhotoVogue.

btw, the only thing I've received from having my imagery accepted to PhotoVogue was a Starbucks latte compliments of the model in the image... lol

Bottom Line?  Your time/energy might be far wiser invested in seeking publication in other print/on-line fashion entities of merit in your market...

All the best on your journey Glenn...

Oct 23 15 06:52 am Link

Photographer

Glen Berry

Thomas Van Dyke wrote:
btw, the only thing I've received from having my imagery accepted to PhotoVogue was a Starbucks latte compliments of the model in the image... lol

Bottom Line?  Your time/energy might be far wiser invested in seeking publication in other print/on-line fashion entities of merit in your market...

I mostly think of PhotoVogue as a little hobby project to work on, when I find myself awake in the wee hours of the morning.

Oct 24 15 07:20 pm Link

Photographer

Glen Berry

I finally had a couple images accepted by PhotoVogue, but their taste in images still feels quite random. I feel the images they accepted were far from the best I've sent them, and they've yet to accept any of my images containing people. As for the image size, the accepted images measured 900 pixels in the smaller dimension. I think I'll keep that size for any future submissions I might make.

I've submitted several additional images since getting two images accepted. I've tried submitting more images in a similar style, and I've tried submitting images in totally different styles. So far, those two random images seem to be all they're interested in. It's a wee bit discouraging, especially when you have no clue what on earth they might be looking for.

If anyone is interested, here's where you can see my two randomly accepted images:

http://www.vogue.it/en/photovogue/Profi … 9182b/User

Dec 03 15 02:31 am Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Glen Berry wrote:
... their taste in images still feels quite random. I feel the images they accepted were far from the best I've sent them...

I think that everyone who has images on PhotoVogue would agree with you.

Dec 03 15 07:11 am Link

Photographer

lukezsmith

Kingston Upon Thames, England, United Kingdom

I think their choices are very random, probably because of different people deciding whether they're accepted or not. I uploaded two images on there for the first time yesterday and one was accepted, I uploaded two today which I really like and both were denied rather quickly. It's odd.

Dec 03 15 09:58 am Link