Forums > Model Colloquy > Is this agency legitimate?

Model

Simone96

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

I've been looking for representation for a year and finally have been offered a contract, but the agency in question is asking for a large sum of money to build a new portfolio.
After I did my research I saw that they have been accused of making money off of portfolios and never getting the newly signed model any work, basically acting like a photo mill.
On the other hand I personally know and have worked with models who are represented by them and they have told me that while they aren't offering them a lot of work locally they have gotten good international jobs through them.

I really don't know what to think at this point, has anyone else had experience with them besides Internet hearsay?

The agency: (http://www.iconmodels.ca)

Oct 22 15 03:26 pm Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

Simone96 wrote:
I've been looking for representation for a year and finally have been offered a contract, but the agency in question is asking for a large sum of money to build a new portfolio.
After I did my research I saw that they have been accused of making money off of portfolios and never getting the newly signed model any work, basically acting like a photo mill.

On the other hand I personally know and have worked with models who are represented by them and they have told me that while they aren't offering them a lot of work locally they have gotten good international jobs through them.

I really don't know what to think at this point, has anyone else had experience with them besides Internet hearsay?

The agency: (http://www.iconmodels.ca)

Sounds like you already answered your own uqestion.

Oct 22 15 03:36 pm Link

Model

MelissaAnn

Seattle, Washington, US

Doesn't sound like a good deal.  Consider applying to other reputable agencies, or freelancing on your own. 

Christy Gabriel is a good example of an agency standard model who chose to freelance and is very successful.
You can see her profile here: https://www.modelmayhem.com/489446
I haven't read her book, but I've heard it's very good for new models interested in freelancing.

Best of luck to you!

smile

Oct 22 15 05:38 pm Link

Model

Kiara Zeel

Nashua, New Hampshire, US

The advice that I got was not to pay an agency anything upfront at all. If they are legit, they will front all the initial costs if necessary and make a portion of your salary as a model. Anything else is a scam. It also helps to look them up in the bbb. I always do that to see if the agency is verified.

Nov 21 15 07:54 pm Link

Photographer

Saadiq Photography

Los Angeles, California, US

acro11 wrote:
The advice that I got was not to pay an agency anything upfront at all. If they are legit, they will front all the initial costs if necessary and make a portion of your salary as a model. Anything else is a scam. It also helps to look them up in the bbb. I always do that to see if the agency is verified.

I still wonder why "unqualified and or unknowledgeable" MM models insist on passing this BULLSH%T to other models! hmm 

1st of all... why would ANY note-worthy or start up agency "advance" money to a NEW/UNPROVEN/NON WORKING beginner model?  2nd... Yes, it is TRUE that note-worthy agencies have been known to advance money to selective "working" models... mainly models with a "client's" check in the mail so the "advancing of funds" cant be the litmus test!!  3rd... If the OP isn't willing to invest in herself/business/modeling then she's in the wrong business/industry. 4th... registering with the BBB isn't required and keep in mind that "some" of those slanderous scam postings may be/could be from unknowledgeable models/stage moms/boyfriends with false expectations.

That's NOT to say that the OP's agency in question is actually legit/valid... But rather to point out the fact that models paying and or being advised to pay for portfolio building/updates is very common and EXPECTED at least until the model is proven "industry" workable. 

I would suggest that all serious/realistic/qualified new models whom are seeking agency representation to build a solid "ready to work" book with the services of a professional agency approved and proven creative team (photographer/mua/hair and wardrobe stylist) as it pertains to the models target "industry market".  In other words OP... DON'T EVER PAY an agency directly for such photo shoots... unless otherwise stated via the photographer/creative team.

edit: the OP should simply look at the model's portfolios via that agency's site as they compare to her listed portfolio.  Then ask herself this question: does my current look and current book fit the vibe/quality and or expectations of this agency and its client base?? Problem solved

Nov 22 15 01:02 am Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

San Francisco, California, US

Simone96 wrote:

no they are not legit. theyre a portfolio mill.

they want you to pay them, and they will take pictures of you and teach you a few model things and say theyre trying to find you work. but never will. then they will say you need new pictures and ask for more money.

repeat the above until you are broke and decide to look elsewhere.

Nov 22 15 12:16 pm Link

Model

No longer active-

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

No

Nov 22 15 02:14 pm Link

Photographer

Eyesso

Orlando, Florida, US

No

Nov 23 15 11:02 pm Link