Forums > Critique > Opinions on these two nudes?

Model

Pixie Galore

New York, New York, US

Wondering what everyone thinks of these two shots from a recent outdoor thing I did. I was personally a little disappointed in the shoot for various reasons, one being that it was incredibly cold (the weekend in the northeast that the temperature dropped like 10 degrees) so I was not at my best...but the location was really cool and I would be disappointed if I couldn't use something. I dunno if either of these are good enough for my port though.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/39547367 18+

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/39539247 18+

Oct 25 15 04:32 pm Link

Photographer

Frank Lewis Photography

Winter Park, Florida, US

It seems that the links don't work...

Oct 25 15 05:21 pm Link

Photographer

Javier_Mejia

Los Angeles, California, US

Frank Lewis Photography wrote:
It seems that the links don't work...

Oct 25 15 06:15 pm Link

Photographer

WCR3

Houston, Texas, US

Agree. Problem with links. I'd like to see more.

Oct 25 15 06:15 pm Link

Model

Pixie Galore

New York, New York, US

Sorry, fixed it!

Oct 25 15 06:25 pm Link

Photographer

WCR3

Houston, Texas, US

Please don't take this wrong, but it's your personality that I would like to shoot, more so than your form. You have a tremendously emotive face, with killer expressions. Yes, you look nice nude, but your strong personality is what sells it for me.

Oct 25 15 07:57 pm Link

Model

Pixie Galore

New York, New York, US

WCR3 wrote:
Please don't take this wrong, but it's your personality that I would like to shoot, more so than your form. You have a tremendously emotive face, with killer expressions. Yes, you look nice nude, but your strong personality is what sells it for me.

Don't worry, I was never going to be a figure model...I have scars on my shoulders, I have tiny boobs, I'm not selling myself on the basis of my knockout body. So no hurt feelings over here, haha. Mainly I was just wondering if they were worth including from an aesthetic perspective. If they really are that unflattering to my figure and/or they have no redeeming artistic merit, they go.

Oct 25 15 08:04 pm Link

Photographer

Kris Krieg

Missoula, Montana, US

I personally like the shot of you in the darkness. A little mysterious and intriguing. The way you have your arm extended and fingers are touching the wooden plank is interesting to me. The outdoor shot is less interesting. I don't really see much emotion in your expression and the location doesn't add much interest. Neither image is the strongest in your port.

Oct 25 15 08:20 pm Link

Photographer

Beatnik 13 Photography

Barrie, Ontario, Canada

My preference of the two is the black and white but I have a tendency to like B&W and sepia images.  I do like this, artistic and has a  'mythological'  feel to it at least to me. The shadow in the colour shot did not work for me but no fault with you on that. Just my opinion.

Oct 25 15 08:26 pm Link

Photographer

S-U-B-L-I-M-E

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

I say the second shot is the one worthy of your portfolio.

Oct 25 15 08:37 pm Link

Model

Pixie Galore

New York, New York, US

Kris Krieg wrote:
The outdoor shot is less interesting. I don't really see much emotion in your expression and the location doesn't add much interest.

Is hypothermia an emotion?

Oct 25 15 08:42 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

The colour shot looks good.  The monochrome gives the impression that you are too cold or too bored to care what the photo looks like.

Oct 26 15 08:11 am Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Pixie Galore wrote:

I have tiny boobs, I'm not selling myself on the basis of my knockout body. ... .

Don't sell yourself short by confusing quantity with quality.

Oct 26 15 08:14 am Link

Model

Pixie Galore

New York, New York, US

Rob Photosby wrote:
The colour shot looks good.

I had another vote for this one...he's a lighting designer so I think he appreciates the light play...just not sure it deserves to be swapped out for one of the other photos, you know, if it's a strong enough image.

Oct 26 15 09:25 am Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

I second what Kris said.  The first shot, the color one, shows just enough to make one wonder more about the setting or story.

Oct 26 15 09:49 am Link

Photographer

Craig M Murray

Oakville, Ontario, Canada

The colour one is art.  It looks like a painting.  I looked at it several times and I could seriously see this on a wall presented as art.  The black and white is cool, you have an almost ghostly quality, it is a nice pic but i love the first one.

Now from a physicality point of view, as others have said, do not sell yourself short.  You have a fine figure and best of all you do not look like some silicone injected barbie doll bit of emptiness

Next time I am in NYC or if you are ever in Toronto we should shoot together

Oct 26 15 10:53 am Link

Model

Eleanor Rose

PASO ROBLES, California, US

The color shot with the shadows is up to par with the rest of your portfolio. It's lovely, interesting, and shows more of a dynamic pose, which adds value to your portfolio. The black and white has very little tonal depth or visual interest, and I believe it detracts from your portfolio.

I'd also like to address something else you said - you don't need a 'perfect' body to succeed as an art model. There are no 'perfect' bodies, and we come in a wide range of sizes and shapes as well as sporting varying ranges of tattoos and scars. Many people love what I offer and many people hate it. It's simply a matter of finding your niche and marketing to that.

Oct 26 15 02:25 pm Link

Photographer

Justin Matthews

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Pixie Galore wrote:

Don't worry, I was never going to be a figure model...I have scars on my shoulders, I have tiny boobs, I'm not selling myself on the basis of my knockout body. So no hurt feelings over here, haha. Mainly I was just wondering if they were worth including from an aesthetic perspective. If they really are that unflattering to my figure and/or they have no redeeming artistic merit, they go.

The first one is way better than the second, with the light play and a little bit of drama.
And don't sell yourself short, you do not have tiny boobs and the scars are interesting. It takes all kinds to figure model, so I see no reason why you can't also, if that is something you would like to do.

Oct 26 15 03:10 pm Link

Model

Pixie Galore

New York, New York, US

Thanks so much for all the input...decided to go with the color one.

And I appreciate everyone's thoughtful comments on figure modeling and what it means to have a "good" body...I was really just responding to this comment

WCR3 wrote:
Please don't take this wrong, but it's your personality that I would like to shoot, more so than your form.

which I took to mean that I don't have a good enough body to sell a nude photo on the basis of that alone. Which I am aware of.

Oct 26 15 09:06 pm Link

Photographer

Filles de Pin-up

Wichita, Kansas, US

Pixie Galore wrote:
Thanks so much for all the input...decided to go with the color one.

And I appreciate everyone's thoughtful comments on figure modeling and what it means to have a "good" body...I was really just responding to this comment

which I took to mean that I don't have a good enough body to sell a nude photo on the basis of that alone. Which I am aware of.

These two photos are works of art. You are certainly worth being hired as a figure model, and you can emote too. Don't sell yourself short. You are awesome. Just because you don't fit one project, doesn't mean you are not perfect for a different one.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/36616018 18+

Oct 26 15 10:04 pm Link

Photographer

Howard Tarragon

New York, New York, US

Pixie, I'm going to go against the flow. I'm not a fan of the first one. The pose accentuates your stomach, makes your non-tiny breast look weird. If you like Picasso and Cubist art then it's fine. Picasso was not kind to women in his art. I'd leave it out.

In the black and white, you don't have expression (there's no blur on your jaw, so tour teeth weren't chattering, so how cold could it have been :-)). Technically, if the shot were cropped in 1 quarter in from the left and a bit down from the top and dodging your arm and leg to make the skin tones better, it would be a better shot of you. Check out the Greek statues at the Met museum, you are well within that range. As for being tiny, t'ain't so. Besides, form is shaped by light, angle and pose especially in photographs.

This should put any worries about your figure to rest:
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/1 … 45e653.jpg

You have a fine form. We just have to make you giggle.

Oct 27 15 09:22 am Link

Model

Pixie Galore

New York, New York, US

Howard Tarragon wrote:
The pose accentuates your stomach, makes your non-tiny breast look weird. If you like Picasso and Cubist art then it's fine. Picasso was not kind to women in his art.

Ouch.

Oct 27 15 12:57 pm Link

Photographer

Howard Tarragon

New York, New York, US

Just my opinion. Art is subjective. Just saw the Picasso show at MoMA. Maybe that influenced how I see it.

Just one opinion.

Oct 27 15 02:47 pm Link

Photographer

Oubliette Media

RESEDA, California, US

Art is in the eye of the beholder. In my opinion, it take a good team to create.
I personally like both photos. They both have an artistic value to me.
I like the shadows and softness in the first one and the second one has a nice tone and I like the way it captured your figure. Good use of lighting on both of them.

Oct 30 15 06:23 am Link