Forums > Photography Talk > I was running out of

Photographer

PhillipM

Nashville, Tennessee, US

disk space.  I have a 125 gig SSD for my main boot drive, and app's on my system at the shop.

I was down to 4 gig of free space, and I was scratching my head as to where all the space was getting gobbled up.  I don't have a gazillion app's installed.  Thunderbird, FileZilla, and CC from Adobe.

I found it.  Not sure how I did, but I found a directory on my C: drive called Lightroom.  That freak'n thing was 45 gig in size.   I did some research and found that I can actually move it.

I moved it to my DATA drive, and all is well wink

Oct 25 15 04:44 pm Link

Photographer

TEB-Art Photo

Carrboro, North Carolina, US

That's the thing I HATE about SSD drives-- not nearly enough gigabytes/dollar.

Unfortunately, it's getting harder, especially with laptops, to get anything else. The computer companies "think they know better than you".

Pet peeve.

Oct 25 15 05:00 pm Link

Photographer

Noah Russell

Seattle, Washington, US

I feel ya brother. I use a shogun and DNxHD gobbles up 256gb every 38 minutes. I have 1tb in the cloud, 10 tb on a sever and another 10-12 sitting on hard drives on my desk.

Need more terabytes!

Cheers,
NoahR

Oct 26 15 10:26 am Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

The lightroom folders have two files.   The smaller file is the database of commands that tell lightroom how to process each image.  The far larger file is the collection of previews for each photo in the database. 

If you are jammed for space, you can tell lightroom to discard previews after 30 days.  In the extreme, you can discard the whole preview file, but be careful not to relocate the original photo files because it can be tricky to rematch the data files with the photos.

On the other hand, relocating the folder, as you have done, is the best solution.

Oct 26 15 03:47 pm Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

Rob Photosby wrote:
The lightroom folders have two files.   The smaller file is the database of commands that tell lightroom how to process each image.  The far larger file is the collection of previews for each photo in the database. 

If you are jammed for space, you can tell lightroom to discard previews after 30 days.  In the extreme, you can discard the whole preview file, but be careful not to relocate the original photo files because it can be tricky to rematch the data files with the photos.

On the other hand, relocating the folder, as you have done, is the best solution.

Yeah, that.

Adobe creates gigantic cache files and stores them forever, for some reason.  You can clean them out perfectly safely, but if you're looking through lots and lots of folders of images to decide which ones to process, all those previews are stored for quick retrieval, even though you'll likely never need them.  It's done to save you time so they only have to render once.  But it's absolutely ridiculous how much space it eats up.

You can move your cache locations to a larger, slower drive (which you've done) or regularly clear those cache folders do deal with the situations.

Oct 26 15 03:57 pm Link

Photographer

PhillipM

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I moved my Lightroom directory off of C: to another external "non" SSD drive.  She's running great, and it's help my overall system performance..

I went from having 3.5 gig of free space on the SSD to 40+... wink

Oct 26 15 04:40 pm Link