Forums > Critique > Serious Critique > Please Critique my Profile and Portfolio

Model

seph28

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hi, I am still fairly new but I want to know if there is something holding me back. I don't send direct messages too often I mostly comment on the work of photographers in my area(Toronto) and started tagging profiles. If you could give me any suggestions on which avatar pic I should use, what I should add or remove from my profile info, and if there is a type of photo that my portfolio should have but doesn't, It would be a huge help. I am willing to return the critique of course, however I a new.
Thanks!

Profile Link: https://www.modelmayhem.com/3793456

Photos Link: https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/3793456/viewall

Also, the full-length shots are really just to have full-length shots, and I just added those an hour ago.

Nov 09 15 12:16 pm Link

Photographer

noel marrero

Menlo Park, California, US

You really need to a lot more into your port first before asking for critique.   There's nothing really we can say until you show us something we can give you feedback on.  So go get a bunch of new photos by working TF with photographers around you.   Make sure the photos not only clearly show what you look like, but show a range of things you can do, including showing that you can convincingly portray a range of emotion.

And toss the two in the hallway shots asap.   No effort, badly taken snapshots are more likely to give the impression that you are not willing to put in the effort to take this seriously, than they are to help you get hired.

Nov 09 15 11:03 pm Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

seph28 wrote:
Critique

From you BIO

I hope to be able to support myself through acting and modeling eventually...

Time for a reality check... Here are a sample of those in front of you for modeling gigs... These chaps are likely supporting themselves through assignments gleaned by their agency... Study them carefully, they are your competition for a life as a male fashion model...

seph28 wrote:
...I don't send direct messages too often I mostly comment on the work of photographers in my area(Toronto) and started tagging profiles.

While that is being proactive I would suggest you aggressively pursue Mayhem Castings in your market...

Important Note: If you have any hope to obtain acting gigs you seriously need a reel... and Mayhem isn't likely the most fruitful arena to seek this... The Lion's share of hobbyist on this site are focused on stills... And those who realize that the industry is moving away from stills to video are leaving Mayhem at an exponential rate... enough said...

Seph28 modeling is silent acting... you must convey a narrative through facial expressions, body language, pose dynamics and such... A full length mirror is a model's best friend... study the high end clothing ads and notice the pose dynamics and facial expressions used... make them your own... what this means is being able to do them with your eyes closed (not looking in a mirror) only then are you able to walk on set with any authority...

Best advice?  First work in retail as an in-store model at your local Mall men's shops... This is an initial entry point into the fashion industry... Fashion is about selling clothes through selling lifestyle...

The good news... you have the stats to model... and a physique to compliment it...

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/151030/09/56339a6754c00.jpg

Now the not so good news... At 27 your window for fashion modeling has all but closed...

Julius Caesar: Act 4, Scene 3,

Brutus wrote:
"There is a tide in the affairs of men. Which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune; Omitted, all the voyage of their life. Is bound in shallows and in miseries."

Hope this helps...
All the best on your journey...

Nov 10 15 06:11 am Link

Model

seph28

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

noel marrero wrote:
You really need to a lot more into your port first before asking for critique.   There's nothing really we can say until you show us something we can give you feedback on.  So go get a bunch of new photos by working TF with photographers around you.   Make sure the photos not only clearly show what you look like, but show a range of things you can do, including showing that you can convincingly portray a range of emotion.

And toss the two in the hallway shots asap.   No effort, badly taken snapshots are more likely to give the impression that you are not willing to put in the effort to take this seriously, than they are to help you get hired.

Hey Noel, thanks for the suggestion and I have now chucked the hallway shots. I should have more photos soon!

Nov 10 15 10:39 am Link

Model

seph28

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Thomas Van Dyke wrote:

seph28 wrote:
Critique

From you BIO

I hope to be able to support myself through acting and modeling eventually...

Time for a reality check... Here are a sample of those in front of you for modeling gigs... These chaps are likely supporting themselves through assignments gleaned by their agency... Study them carefully, they are your competition for a life as a male fashion model...

While that is being proactive I would suggest you aggressively pursue Mayhem Castings in your market...

Hey Thomas, thanks so much for taking the time to share these valuable insights with me! I am going to act on every suggestion you've given here, and quickly.

Nov 10 15 10:54 am Link