Forums > General Industry > Major Windows 10 Update

Photographer

Gary Melton

Dallas, Texas, US

Microsoft has released a MAJOR update to Windows 10 today.  Be prepared when you install it...it takes a LONG time, and it is all very DRAMATIC (when you install it, you'll see what I mean by dramatic).

Nov 12 15 09:49 am Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Are they still forcing updates that you have no control over when you system wont be available ?

Nov 12 15 10:30 am Link

Photographer

A. I. Studios

Jersey City, New Jersey, US

Brooklyn Bridge Images wrote:
Are they still forcing updates that you have no control over when you system wont be available ?

Under windows update, advanced options, there is an option called "deferred updates", you enter some date, then it will not update till that date. It is the best you can do, it is like putting updates on hold.

I do miss Win7 update options, I loved being able to pick and chose and when to do it. Thank you Microsoft and Apple and the rest of idiots out there, DO NOT THINK FOR ME! I can think on my own.

Nov 12 15 10:41 am Link

Photographer

Gary Melton

Dallas, Texas, US

Brooklyn Bridge Images wrote:

I have no idea what Microsoft's thinking is on their current windows update procedures/polices.  I am constantly having problems with not being able to install updates...I click on the button to install updates immediately, and it just sits there saying 0% progress for hours!!  To me, how windows update operates now it by far the WORST thing about Windows 10!

Nov 12 15 10:53 am Link

Photographer

Gary Melton

Dallas, Texas, US

I just discovered that the new update deleted my Freecell game that I had downloaded some time ago - now I'll have to find it, download it and install it again!

You know, if Microsoft were smart, they would just release a new version called "Windows 7 Deluxe" and everybody would be happy.  Windows 8 was huge failure and I don't see that Windows 10 is going to be much better.  Everyone seemed to be happy with Windows 7!

Nov 12 15 11:08 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

the update installed itself in the middle of the night with no problem and works fine.

Nov 12 15 11:25 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Gary Melton wrote:
I have no idea what Microsoft's thinking is on their current windows update procedures/polices.  I am constantly having problems with not being able to install updates...I click on the button to install updates immediately, and it just sits there saying 0% progress for hours!!  To me, how windows update operates now it by far the WORST thing about Windows 10!

I installed Windows 10 on a little Acer Aspire I use to show movies on a TV.  Windows 7 worked just fine for that.  The upgrade went fine and I loved the system, right up until it did the first Windows 10 updates were installed.  Suddenly, a bunch of shortcuts were destroyed and Windows 10 no longer works right.  Customer service recommended that I reinstall a clean copy of Windows 10, but alas, Windows crashes when doing the install.  I'm going to create a thumb drive version and do a clean boot, but what a pain just to watch movies from the hard drive or to watch Dish anywhere from the bedroom in my motorhome.

Nov 12 15 11:25 am Link

Photographer

Gary Melton

Dallas, Texas, US

American Glamour wrote:
I installed Windows 10 on a little Acer Aspire I use to show movies on a TV.  Windows 7 worked just fine for that.  The upgrade went fine and I loved the system, right up until it did the first Windows 10 updates were installed.  Suddenly, a bunch of shortcuts were destroyed and Windows 10 no longer works right.  Customer service recommended that I reinstall a clean copy of Windows 10, but alas, Windows crashes when doing the install.  I'm going to create a thumb drive version and do a clean boot, but what a pain just to watch movies from the hard drive or to watch Dish anywhere from the bedroom in my motorhome.

I'm having similar problems with my Acer Aspire (which came with Win XP, which I upgraded to Win 7 Pro with no problems - it has worked well with Win 7 for a couple of years).  After upgrading to Win 10, it worked just fine for a couple of months, then It stopped downloading windows updates - so I tried reverting back to Win 7 and windows updates still didn't work.  I tried doing clean install of Win 7, still no dice.  I've tried multiple times to upgrade back to Win 10, but every time it gets stuck at the "Checking for updates" stage (even tried letting it go for 24 hours and still the "Checking for updates" is on the screen and the process will go no further).  I even wiped the hard drive completely and did totally clean Win 7 install and Windows Updates still won't work.  I've searched and search the internet for a solution but having no luck.

It's interesting to note that the Acer Aspire did not qualify for upgrade to Win 8, but does qualify for Win 10.

Nov 12 15 12:16 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Melton

Dallas, Texas, US

SayCheeZ!  wrote:
the update installed itself in the middle of the night with no problem and works fine.

If you weren't in front of your PC when the update occurred, then you missed all the drama...

Nov 12 15 12:21 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Gary Melton wrote:
It's interesting to note that the Acer Aspire did not qualify for upgrade to Win 8, but does qualify for Win 10.

I think my aspire may be a little bit newer than yours.  Mine came with Windows 7 on it.  I could have upgraded it to Windows 8/8.1 but didn't bother.  I love Windows 10 on my disktop so I decided to upgrade the Aspire.  I have a number of notebooks running Window 8.1 Enterprise and I am just going to leave them that way.  I don't want to pay for the Windows 10 upgrade and it is too complex to go through their enterprise program.  I have legal licenses but it is more trouble than it is worth.

Nov 12 15 12:21 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

SayCheeZ!  wrote:

Gary Melton wrote:
If you weren't in front of your PC when the update occurred, then you missed all the drama...

Because I am traveling by motorhome updates only occur when I am hooked up to WiFi.  Right now I am tethered to my phone.  I have no idea if the update has been installed or not.  I think it probably hasn't because I haven't been watching Netflix for a couple of days which means I haven't been hooking up to anybody's WiFi.

FYI for those who want to travel, about 60% of the public WiFi services I have access to block MM.  As an example, Wal-Mart does at most of its locations.  Best Buy does as well.  That is why I use tethering so much.

Nov 12 15 12:23 pm Link

Photographer

Tom Linkens

Lititz, Pennsylvania, US

It's updated twice and currently restarting my work laptop, while I was in the middle of adding blog posts to my new website.

Nov 12 15 07:05 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Bots

Kingston, Ontario, Canada

One of the updates fixes another security flaw in the MS browsers from Vista all the way to Windows 10.

re the MM site on public WiFi -- edit the system HOSTS file to define the MM IP address ( 98.158.196.55 ) and bypass the DNS lookup servers & filters the hotspots provide

Nov 12 15 08:22 pm Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

Still running Win XP on my windos machine. It does what I need it to do. No need for all that fancy termed 'update'.

Nov 12 15 08:40 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

Gary Melton wrote:
I just discovered that the new update deleted my Freecell game that I had downloaded some time ago - now I'll have to find it, download it and install it again!

You know, if Microsoft were smart, they would just release a new version called "Windows 7 Deluxe" and everybody would be happy.  Windows 8 was huge failure and I don't see that Windows 10 is going to be much better.  Everyone seemed to be happy with Windows 7!

Having seen how they work I wouldn't be surprised to see them offer "Windows Vista - Deluxe" instead.  LOL

Studio36

Nov 13 15 04:37 am Link

Photographer

hbutz New York

Ronkonkoma, New York, US

What happened to Windows 9?

Nov 16 15 04:50 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

hbutz New York wrote:
What happened to Windows 9?

Microsoft skipped Windows 9.

Nov 16 15 05:10 am Link

Photographer

Eye of the World

Corvallis, Oregon, US

Gary Melton wrote:
Microsoft has released a MAJOR update to Windows 10 today.  Be prepared when you install it...it takes a LONG time, and it is all very DRAMATIC (when you install it, you'll see what I mean by dramatic).

I had zero problems with the update. In fact at one point I walked away to get something to eat and it had finished when I came back so I never saw anything dramatic. Could you explain that comment better?

Nov 16 15 07:39 am Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

it took most of the day to get my windows laptop upgraded.

the more time i spend with a windows laptop the more i think i want to buy some more apple stock. my aging macbook pro is still a way better machine than this !#@#*$@)#@# windows laptop ever will be. or maybe i need to downgrade it to something that actually works like windows 7. the best and brightest must all be going to places other than microsoft. or all the rain and gloom is sapping their will to code.

team apple

Nov 16 15 01:41 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

ontherocks wrote:
it took most of the day to get my windows laptop upgraded.

The best and the brightest know not to blindly install upgrades to machines that are working fine

Nov 16 15 10:37 pm Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

Installed, when I scheduled it, without any unexpected interruptions.

So far, I am having no issues with Windows 10.

I now have it on two computers, my old laptop and a new desktop I am using as my internet access... Bought one of those super cheap Lenovo ThinkServers--($269). No Operating system,  3.4gHz intel i3 4 core CPU, 4 gb ram, no installed storage, and a tiny power supply. Threw in a couple 250gb SSD drives, boosted the ram up with some old stuff I had here (now 16gb). I run all my main storage externally in a self powered USB3 enclosure holding 4 4TB drives, set up as JBOD. Using the video on the CPU, no additional video card. Works fine for watching movies, I even used the i1Display pro to create a profile for my monitor....Cheapest desktop I have ever put together. Hell, I probably paid more for my video card in my other box than I have invested in this box. Love it when something actually works.

Nov 16 15 11:31 pm Link

Photographer

Darren Brade

London, England, United Kingdom

I'm on device number 6 (4 desktops, a laptop and a tablet). No real issues so far, but it has been 50/50 which received the update and which I had to runt he media creation tool.

So far no issues.

Nov 17 15 09:04 am Link

Photographer

Darren Brade

London, England, United Kingdom

I do agree, I'm not a fan of how I can't select individual updates. I do foresee them altering this in future to be more Windows 8/7.
However I do love how they are delivering updates as a whole. basically this update (November Update - aka "Threshold"), over the internet and not having to faff about with CDs

Nov 17 15 09:06 am Link

Photographer

Gary Melton

Dallas, Texas, US

Gary Melton wrote:

Eye of the World wrote:
I had zero problems with the update. In fact at one point I walked away to get something to eat and it had finished when I came back so I never saw anything dramatic. Could you explain that comment better?

During the installation, a big circle with the percentage of installation inside it (in rather large numbers) stays on the screen the whole time (haven't seen this before for just an update), and once it finishes installation and restarts for the last time (after SEVERAL restarts) some phrases come up on the screen (in rather large letters) telling you about the wonders of the new version.

All in all, I thought it was pretty "dramatic" because it was a WHOLE lot like upgrading to a new version of Windows rather than just an update.  In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if that is what the update is (a whole new installation rather than just an update) as the update took about the same amount of time as when I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

Nov 17 15 09:59 am Link