Forums > General Industry > Model grifting

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

I've had a few complaints from photographers that I over photoshop models.  It's not true in my opinion.  I have a fantastic crew and stick with professional techniques with regards to photoshop.  One model took down a picture I did for her because several people have told her it doesn't look like her at all. 

From my experience many of the models that are being shot by professional photographers don't look at all like they do in real life.  I prefer to see a model shot with little makeup and with out special lighting when I consider hiring them for a job.

Nov 13 15 06:40 pm Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

ASmallWoman wrote:
I weigh 90 pounds, but if you expected me to step on a scale and prove it I'd feel pretty insulted. Yeah, if a photographer were paying me, I'd do it if I had already showed up to shoot, but if a photographer proposed this over email, I would opt out of working with them. No thanks, that's humiliating.

But, at the same time, he did need to know the weight of the woman for an underwater shoot. So, in that case, I'd definitely hop on a scale. There's a definite safety reason for doing so.

Hi,

I showed up to a group casting call and the coordinator measured us all, (men and woman,) over our clothes and called out the numbers for the assistant to write them down. Had I known we were going to be measured over our clothes I would not have worn the thickest pants I own! OY. Then we also had to [demonstrate] our runway walk, in front of other models too.

I think there may have been a scale involved too, (again, in front of male and female models, the make up and hair stylists, the photographer and other assistants.)

It seemed perfectly normal to all 30 or so of us models there.

Jen
edit: and when my measurements over my pants were 4" difference from my stated measurements, (which I did at home the day before without my clothes....) I did not get this non paid gig. I was not upset at this, I learned a lesson in measurement, practicality and in upgrading my numbers from what I measure, (no pulling the tape and no measuring naked.)

Nov 14 15 05:02 am Link

Model

Liv Sage

Seattle, Washington, US

Jen B wrote:

Hi,

I showed up to a group casting call and the coordinator measured us all, (men and woman,) over our clothes and called out the numbers for the assistant to write them down. Had I known we were going to be measured over our clothes I would not have worn the thickest pants I own! OY. Then we also had to [demonstrate] our runway walk, in front of other models too.

I think there may have been a scale involved too, (again, in front of male and female models, the make up and hair stylists, the photographer and other assistants.)

Jen
edit: and when my measurements over my pants were 4" difference from my stated measurements, (which I did at home the day before without my clothes....) I did not get this non paid gig. I was not upset at this, I learned a lesson in measurement, practicality and in upgrading my numbers from what I measure, (no pulling the tape and no measuring naked.)

If it were for an event like that, I wouldn't mind the measuring and weighing. But it makes sense in that context - it's a fashion casting for a runway. Meaning, there need to be measures of everyone for clothes and noting accuracy in their profiles. So that does make sense.

But, I'm a nude art model standing up straight at 5'0" tall so in any circumstance where I'd be expected to do that, it would not be welcome. Unless somebody is trying to design a super petites clothing line, in which case I definitely want in on that, cause it'd be nice not to have my pants dragging around behind me everywhere.

Sorry about that job though sad

Nov 14 15 07:57 am Link

Artist/Painter

aquarelle

Chicago, Illinois, US

I worked with a traveling model whom I liked very much, with a dancer's figure perfect for what I was working on.  She was sublime.  I asked her to please let me know when she'd next be in town so we could work together again.  About 4 months later she was passing through, and we worked out a half day session fee.  On arrival, I saw that she had gained so much weight in those four months that all the lines I'd been enchanted with on her previous visit were completely gone.  She had developed the figure of a chubby adolescent.

I was soooo disappointed, not so much at being misled, but because I had been looking forward to capturing her previously exquisite figure.  I wonder if she had just said, "by the way, I don't look exactly like I did the last time, I've added a little weight."  I liked working with her and I don't think I would have said, "forget it;" but I don't think I would have offered her the bigger fee and planned to spend a long afternoon with her.

Nov 14 15 01:44 pm Link

Photographer

Mantographer

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Brooklyn Bridge Images wrote:

These aren’t misunderstandings or mistakes
The people who are doing this are committing intentional fraud
Are you this nice to other scammers ?

When I was first starting out I used to think that photographers who had been working longer than I had been alive were "mean" and "too harsh." Now that I've been trying to work more as a photographer and have figured out where my standards need to be to accomplish the work that I am paying for, I've become one of those "mean, harsh" photographers.

It takes time for people to realize that they don't deserve to be scammed and they don't owe someone courtesy who is trying to scam them. Scammers are rude people, who lie, misrepresent themselves, and try to put you into a bad position where they can take advantage of you.

Treat them like the bad people they are being and fire them on the spot. If you pay them for being bad they are going to go and scam another person. So by firing them on the spot you are helping out other photographers who would have had to deal with them.

Nov 14 15 03:34 pm Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

ASmallWoman wrote:

If it were for an event like that, I wouldn't mind the measuring and weighing. But it makes sense in that context - it's a fashion casting for a runway. Meaning, there need to be measures of everyone for clothes and noting accuracy in their profiles. So that does make sense.

But, I'm a nude art model standing up straight at 5'0" tall so in any circumstance where I'd be expected to do that, it would not be welcome. Unless somebody is trying to design a super petites clothing line, in which case I definitely want in on that, cause it'd be nice not to have my pants dragging around behind me everywhere.

Sorry about that job though sad

Ah, I see now and thanks. I sure learned though to avoid pulling my tape or sucking it in when I measure myself. I think I remember him calling out our self reported measurements and then the tape measurements. Thing is, he wasn't harsh or anything, the numbers told it all, (and I really thought I was honest!)

Jen

Nov 14 15 03:58 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

MN Photography wrote:
OK, most bizarre response yet.  If I ask someone who is selling them self as a model and wants to get paid, "how much do you weight right now?" and ask if they would be OK with verifying that, within a reasonable range, and the model refuses because it's "humiliating", I just have to assume that there is some mis-representation happening.  I'm also saving the model some time too.  She can save a trip to my studio. 

If someone is all muscle or has an eating disorder, I don't know how this prevents you from accurately representing yourself.  We aren't hiring people to work in an office or some other job where looks are irrelevant.  Models are selling their looks, I don't think accurate representation is an unreasonable request.

Oh jeez - you don't ask models what they weigh. It's an Internet/MM thing for profiles. You're not going to find a legitimate fashion agency that has weight for their girl's vitals.
And weight isn't necessarily a good indicator anyway (as Jordan pointed out).
Get accurate height and a current full length polaroid/digital.

Also, I haven't pre-met with with a model since my first few models starting out around 20 years ago - who's got time for that nonsense.

And @OP - if a girl showed up 30lbs heavier than her images - I'd send her home.

Nov 14 15 04:10 pm Link

Photographer

Pembroke Pines, Florida, US

First I don't usually have that problem . I typically shoot with agency models. Either way I would never ask anyone to step on a scale , since weight doesn't always determine body size or how they look.

Nov 14 15 04:49 pm Link

Photographer

Top Gun Digital

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

A model is selling a product and if the product is not as advertised when it's delivered you should not feel compelled to pay for it.  If I hired a model because her profile said she was 5' 4" and weighed 110lbs and all the images in her port were indicative of that but she showed up weighing 30 pounds more I would send her home.  It's just a case of false advertising.

Nov 14 15 05:08 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

1472 wrote:
First I don't usually have that problem . I typically shoot with agency models. Either way I would never ask anyone to step on a scale , since weight doesn't always determine body size or how they look.

5ft tall model one 95lbs   one 195lbs
Weight had no determination on what they look like ???

Nov 14 15 05:28 pm Link

Photographer

Light and Lens Studio

Sisters, Oregon, US

E Thompson Photography wrote:
The OP had best be careful adhering to such strict standards of appearance. This may fall into the realm of body shaming.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post/951876

More PC BS.

Nov 14 15 06:36 pm Link

Photographer

Mikey Yan

La Habra, California, US

That's when social media comes in. I just check out their Instagram/Facebook/Twitter for recent pics.

Nov 14 15 07:11 pm Link

Photographer

Darren Brade

London, England, United Kingdom

Since there's often clothes being provided, measurements are critical, if they are accurate they may not fit, especially sample sizes.

If they are providing their own clothes it's not as critical. However, of they don't look like their unedited photos I requested, they go home.

A model is responsible fir keeping their stats up to date, period.

Nov 14 15 07:37 pm Link

Photographer

Darren Brade

Or you could just shoot them with a cheap mobile phone camera, it's not like you're misrepresent yourself if they are. Init? ;-)

Nov 14 15 07:38 pm Link

Photographer

MN Photography

Chicago, Illinois, US

Darren Brade wrote:
Or you could just shoot them with a cheap mobile phone camera, it's not like you're misrepresent yourself if they are. Init? ;-)

I think the photographer equivalent is posting photos that you didn't actually take, or maybe telling the model that you will do the shoot at a professional studio and then give them the address of the Motel 6 where you will actually be doing the shoot.

It isn't about how much the model weighs, it's about accuracy.  If a model is a size 12, then say you are a size 12.  If you weight 145, then don't say that you weight 110.   I realize that a lot of models list their weight on the light size so they will come up in more searches, but even listing yourself as 110 and then saying in your profile something like "I actually weigh 145, but my photos are accurate" is reasonable.

Nov 14 15 08:47 pm Link

Photographer

Darren Brade

MN Photography wrote:

I think the photographer equivalent is posting photos that you didn't actually take, or maybe telling the model that you will do the shoot at a professional studio and then give them the address of the Motel 6 where you will actually be doing the shoot.

It isn't about how much the model weighs, it's about accuracy.  If a model is a size 12, then say you are a size 12.  If you weight 145, then don't say that you weight 110.   I realize that a lot of models list their weight on the light size so they will come up in more searches, but even listing yourself as 110 and then saying in your profile something like "I actually weigh 145, but my photos are accurate" is reasonable.

I think we are agreeing on all points.

I do think updating stats is often done out of laziness by some.

Nov 14 15 09:07 pm Link

Photographer

MN Photography

Chicago, Illinois, US

J O H N  A L L A N wrote:
Oh jeez - you don't ask models what they weigh. It's an Internet/MM thing for profiles. You're not going to find a legitimate fashion agency that has weight for their girl's vitals.

I'm pretty sure this is MM.  I just checked the URL.  MM alright. 

I'm not sure what the point is of bringing up "agency models".  Seems like a few photographers here have that as a standard go-to in almost any discussion about models.  This is actually MM, you know.  People are going to discuss using MM. 

I did use an agency once in London about ten years ago.  The model was about 3 inches shorter than the comp card said and she was also 6 or 7 years older than any of the photos.  Her agent did warn me that she was "a terrible bitch to work with".  That part was accurate.

Nov 14 15 09:14 pm Link

Photographer

KungPaoChic

West Palm Beach, Florida, US

Jen B wrote:

Hi,

Jen

I have always heard of them doing measurements with a bathing suit -- over clothes is not accurate.

Nov 15 15 06:27 am Link

Photographer

Loki Studio

Royal Oak, Michigan, US

This is another good reason to meet the model or request a photo from this month before confirming a gig.  Having the model closely resemble her photos and measurements is key to their work.  I would cancel on a model with significant deviation.

Nov 15 15 08:28 am Link

Photographer

Innovative Imagery

Los Angeles, California, US

The deal with offering the need to "step on the scale" was CONDITIONAL if she looked heavier than she represented in her port AND she REFUSED  to send current snaps.

That seems fine to me.  "Ah, I think you look heavier".  Her, "No I don't!"  Scale (Impartial test with no dog in this race) "Yep, no debate possible, you are heavier.

Really, what is the problem with that.

If you don't look like you are represented, then the shoot is cancelled.

Nov 19 15 03:02 pm Link

Model

Isis22

Muncie, Indiana, US

J O H N  A L L A N wrote:

And weight isn't necessarily a good indicator anyway (as Jordan pointed out).
Get accurate height and a current full length polaroid/digital.

Also, I haven't pre-met with with a model since my first few models starting out around 20 years ago - who's got time for that nonsense.

And @OP - if a girl showed up 30lbs heavier than her images - I'd send her home.

Agreed. I have met a few photographers for a short chat though, their idea, not mine.

Nov 19 15 04:29 pm Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

KungPaoChic wrote:

I have always heard of them doing measurements with a bathing suit -- over clothes is not accurate.

I don't think that mattered to the coordinator...I didn't 'believe' I'd lied about my measurements in any way but, still, learned to not measure nude and to use the measurement that I get with a loose tape.

Nov 19 15 05:12 pm Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

There was a time that I hired a model who was going through a rough patch and gained weight that was shocking to me when you compared to her portfolio.

Since I paid her $200 for 1 1/2 hours.  I could have told her that I would not shoot her or pay her for misrepresenting herself.  I fact that is what happened to her a week prior to my shoot with her from another photographer.

It took me a minute or so to get over my shock.  But then I thought, a hundred years ago her body is what artists wanted to work with, and that I needed to be more accepting of her look.  She is the very definition of Zaftig or Ruebanesque. And she was beautiful exactly the way she was.

I shot her and the results were amazing. And though I shot this a number of years ago it is one of my favorite images.

I only say this not to criticize anyone's response to the OP but as an art photographer I had an opportunity that I wouldn't have had if I had been closed minded.

I'll let everyone judge for themselves but she was outstanding, I thank her for teaching me about body acceptance and being pleasantly surprised .

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/23247632

+18

Nov 19 15 05:45 pm Link

Photographer

Wheeling Tog

Wheeling, West Virginia, US

If your doing a big paid job with a new model have a 'meet and greet' first.

If you don't want to do that, than have a disclaimer in your agreement that you send them up front about misrepresentation.

It is no different than a photog using another photogs work to sell themselves. A model should look like their photos.

I shot this project of a transsexual blind. She only had a couple photos to go by.

nsfw

https://danielteolijr.wordpress.com/201 … rag-queen/

The person told me they gained some weight from the few photos I saw. She said she would like to use a corset to keep things in place. Does not bother me any, I'm flexible. But I'm, no glam photog, I'm after the social doc story.

If your after perfection of beauty then it all revolves around the model. That is what nice about being a street and doc photog. if you only get 70% perfection you can still have a winner.

nsfw

https://danielteolijr.wordpress.com/201 … m-the-hip/

Nov 20 15 05:04 am Link

Photographer

Merlinpix

Farmingdale, New York, US

Brooklyn Bridge Images wrote:

These aren’t misunderstandings or mistakes
The people who are doing this are committing intentional fraud
Are you this nice to other scammers ?

Like  he  said. I've   dismissed  models  who  have  misrepresented  themselves. "  I'm  sorry. I'm  looking  for  the  model  in these photos.:you  obviously  aren't  her."

Nov 20 15 05:22 am Link

Photographer

FlirtynFun Photography

Houston, Texas, US

models are there to represent something...if they can't do that effectively because of look, attitude, height, weight etc., they're NOT right for what I'm going for. If an agency were to send a 5'1" 145lb white "model" to a fashion shoot for a major ad campaign when the client had requested a 5'10" 120lb oriental model, likely the agency could be sued.

Frankly, if I'm paying, I'll send them packing if at all possible. Unfortunately due to timing/availability of other models, sending them packing may cost a lot of money.

Nov 20 15 05:46 am Link

Model

Liv Sage

Seattle, Washington, US

Risen Phoenix Photo wrote:
There was a time that I hired a model who was going through a rough patch and gained weight that was shocking to me when you compared to her portfolio.

Since I paid her $200 for 1 1/2 hours.  I could have told her that I would not shoot her or pay her for misrepresenting herself.  I fact that is what happened to her a week prior to my shoot with her from another photographer.

It took me a minute or so to get over my shock.  But then I thought, a hundred years ago her body is what artists wanted to work with, and that I needed to be more accepting of her look.  She is the very definition of Zaftig or Ruebanesque. And she was beautiful exactly the way she was.

I shot her and the results were amazing. And though I shot this a number of years ago it is one of my favorite images.

I only say this not to criticize anyone's response to the OP but as an art photographer I had an opportunity that I wouldn't have had if I had been closed minded.

I'll let everyone judge for themselves but she was outstanding, I thank her for teaching me about body acceptance and being pleasantly surprised .

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/23247632

+18

I like to photograph as well as model, and this is how I feel as well. If a girl showed up looking different, I wouldn't care too much - as long as she was hygienic, ready to shoot, and showed some semblance of health.

At the same time, I think it's pretty dishonest for a model to mislead photographers like that. I could get over my initial shock, but I really understand why someone else might not be able to. A good way to prevent this stuff is to request a current, full body selfie, time-stamped of a model by text. I've had photographers make this request before, and it's fine with me. That will ensure that you aren't being misled.

Nov 20 15 12:48 pm Link

Model

Jordan Bunniie

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

MN Photography wrote:
If someone is all muscle or has an eating disorder, I don't know how this prevents you from accurately representing yourself.  We aren't hiring people to work in an office or some other job where looks are irrelevant.  Models are selling their looks, I don't think accurate representation is an unreasonable request.

I never said representing yourself wasnt unreasonable. I said asking someone to weigh themselves to prove they weigh what they say they do is. If they look like they should, who cares?
If they dont look how they should, send them home. Asking to weigh them isnt necessary.

Nov 20 15 06:42 pm Link

Photographer

KungPaoChic

West Palm Beach, Florida, US

Jen B wrote:
I don't think that mattered to the coordinator...I didn't 'believe' I'd lied about my measurements in any way but, still, learned to not measure nude and to use the measurement that I get with a loose tape.

Perhaps the coordinator was not very savvy.

For the record I meant the way the agencies measure.

Nov 20 15 07:05 pm Link

Photographer

MikeW

Cape Canaveral, Florida, US

SKYPE!

Nov 21 15 07:43 pm Link

Photographer

Juicylicious

Orlando, Florida, US

Unfortunately we kept having these illusions that this is a professional models' site. Yes there are about maybe 10 % of models who would show up on time, be ready for shoot in less than 10 minutes, other than not "misrepresenting" themselves. But this is not MM's fault because MM doesn't have a crew of "model inspectors" that really check for all models who sign up here for their weight, height or honesty.
I have had models who said their height is 5 ft 3 inches on profile (my minimum requirement) but when they show up I can clearly see they are maybe 4 ft 9 (photoshopped on all her photos?). Another model showed up look like she was overdosed on meth the night before (contradict to all her beautiful photos in port). Not to mention with some weight issue. I understand we all like to fudge our resume a little bit, but when you ordered a 60 inch all new smart LED thin flatscreen TV and a 32 inch old Sony Trinitron CRT tube TV showed up, then we got a problem, ain't we?

Nov 22 15 10:53 am Link