Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Makeup Artist rates for advert with a major client

Makeup Artist

M Makeup

New York, New York, US

Hello all!

I've come here today wondering what would be  appropriate to charge this particular client.

They are a major US beauty company.

The shoot is scheduled for two days.

2-3 female models

The images will be used for 2016 calender yr of marketing,adverting,trade mgs/shows. Pretty much everything.

Definitely a big project. What would be appropriate?

$2000-3500 a day? I definitely don't want to come off too cheap.

xxThanks everyone! xx

Nov 17 15 10:12 am Link

Photographer

TerrysPhotocountry

Rochester, New York, US

What is you normal day rate? Kick it up 10%. You can always back it up. but you can not move it higher.

Nov 17 15 07:19 pm Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

will you be the only mua?  Are you doing styling and hair too? 

The Calendars I have done are bid out.  I was usually just bidding low to get them.  I have done a  few but was never really paid well.

Nov 18 15 12:37 am Link

Photographer

Michael Bots

Kingston, Ontario, Canada

What would HBO pay?

I would suggest using the rates set by the film industry per union contract linked in the following
https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post … st19469165

Key MAU may be higher for very specific looks  (read special matching, FX, or very unusual)   (like Mystique in X-Men)
    Multiples past 2x are exceedingly rare.

Nov 18 15 07:13 am Link

Photographer

alexphotog

New York, New York, US

M Makeup wrote:
$2000-3500 a day? I definitely don't want to come off too cheap.

xxThanks everyone! xx

Commercial rates for team are normally $1,500 a day in NYC. That said, check with your photographer or your agent, they normally set the rate.

Nov 19 15 01:43 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

calendars are not normally huge money makers, I honestly think I would keep the price around 800.00 to 1,000.00 a day if you don't have an agent... Agents can negotiate more but the client appears to be skipping the agency and that tells me they want off cheap.   On the bright side, you don't have to pay an agent and so all the money would be yours.

Mary
CameraReadyCosmetics.com

Jan 10 16 10:59 pm Link

Makeup Artist

muasunny

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Mary wrote:
calendars are not normally huge money makers, I honestly think I would keep the price around 800.00 to 1,000.00 a day if you don't have an agent... Agents can negotiate more but the client appears to be skipping the agency and that tells me they want off cheap.   On the bright side, you don't have to pay an agent and so all the money would be yours.

Mary
CameraReadyCosmetics.com

+1.

Jan 11 16 07:49 am Link