Forums > Critique > New Pin Up Model- Looking for Portfolio Critique

Model

Miss Golden Gams

Hammond, Indiana, US

Hey everyone, I'm really new to the modeling world and looking for some serious critique to improve my look/port/modeling skills. What photos I have are from a small handful of shoots.

I really value advice from people with experience and would love to hear any relevant feedback you might have. I am gearing myself for a distinctly pin up/alternative look to be used for promotions and possibly fashion, one day getting into glamour/boudoir.

Thank you in advance!
-JG

Nov 22 15 09:28 am Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Los Angeles, California, US

In your current collection the thing that jutted out to me was not any feminine assets but rather the angles. The angles are poor. I won't go into expression, but I think you should start with posing and how it relates to the angle of the photographer's lens. In one shot you lie on the floor and then you extend your legs up while managing to let go of your belly so that it curves up. I can shoot a model who doesn't know what she is doing as I'm good at direction. But many photographers have great difficulty with models who can't model. What are the basics?  Posing and expression. One model I worked with long ago, in a galaxy far far away, after a discussion with me, did the following, she mastered five expressions that she could turn on at will, by practicing in the mirror. She practiced posing for fifteen minutes per day if I recall correctly. She didn't have that much experience.

And if you look at her pose here, it is rather inspired. She really worked that rock: https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/30323971

You need to practice a lot.

Nov 22 15 10:34 am Link

Model

Miss Golden Gams

Hammond, Indiana, US

LA StarShooter wrote:
In your current collection the thing that jutted out to me was not any feminine assets but rather the angles. The angles are poor. I won't go into expression, but I think you should start with posing and how it relates to the angle of the photographer's lens. In one shot you lie on the floor and then you extend your legs up while managing to let go of your belly so that it curves up. I can shoot a model who doesn't know what she is doing as I'm good at direction. But many photographers have great difficulty with models who can't model. What are the basics?  Posing and expression. One model I worked with long ago, in a galaxy far far away, after a discussion with me, did the following, she mastered five expressions that she could turn on at will, by practicing in the mirror. She practiced posing for fifteen minutes per day if I recall correctly. She didn't have that much experience.

And if you look at her pose here, it is rather inspired. She really worked that rock: https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/30323971

You need to practice a lot.

Thank you for your feedback. I definitely see what you mean, and since those shoots I have been working on my expressions and posing, spending a few hours a couple nights a week just doing self-shots with a tripod. I wouldn't want to include those here, but I feel I'm working towards achieving more natural, flattering looks that I can snap into readily. Now I'm searching for another good opportunity to exercise what I've learned.

Nov 22 15 10:42 am Link

Photographer

Richard Majerski

East Hartford, Connecticut, US

You're off to a good start,but I think you need to amp up everything like styling,poses,expressions,more campy and more energy if vintage pinup is your specialty.Do some research on vintage illustrations like Gil Elvgrin etc.Best of luck.

Nov 23 15 05:09 am Link