Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Airbrushing products

Makeup Artist

Makeup-Creations

Bournemouth, England, United Kingdom

I am a professional makeup artist with 15 years’ experience in the industry. I have recently entered the world of airbrushing. I have done airbrushed tattoos in the past with Su-Du body art. And am mainly doing tattoo’s at the moment using Pro Aiir.

I am looking at moving into the makeup side of things and body painting using the airbrush. Eventually adding nails as well.

I have recently acquired the Sparmax MAX-4 which is a Dual-action airbrush with Single-action valve included – easily converts the airbrush from a dual-action to a single-action airbrush. It has a 0.4mm needle and nozzle so is quite handy for fine details. As I wanted an airbrush for a number of applications, this was recommended to me as can be used for Nail Art, Cosmetics and Body Art, Hobby and Craft

I have tried using Pro Aiir Temp Tattoo Ink and Pro Aiir Hybrid temp tattoo inks with this system. Both products work well through the airbrush. The hybrid inks go through the airbrush slightly easier as are not as thick and are much easier the clean. Cleaning the airbrush is tricky at first but is pretty straight forward once you know what you are doing. The airbrush has a gravity feed. When working with a number of colours I have to clean the airbrush in between.  Are there any alternatives to this? I am thinking of having more than one airbrush so can have a number of colours available. I love the built in airbrush holder on the handle of the compressor. Having a number of airbrushes would require some sort of stand. Another thing to research!

With regards to the compressor I have the Sparmax Arism Mini which is relatively quiet compared to some compressors I’ve heard. It is quite small so a great space saver. Its pressure ranges from 0 psi to 28 psi, which I am still finding what pressure is best for what products. Are their guidelines to this or is it just trial and error?

Here is a pic of my first attempt with the Sparmax Max 4 & Pro Aiir Temp ink
https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hp … e=56E372FC

Nov 23 15 03:17 am Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Makeup-Creations wrote:
...I am thinking of having more than one airbrush so can have a number of colours available...

+1 QFT   This is by far and away the most effective solution that I've arrived at...
A Quick Connect Adapter makes for rapid transitions... 

Hope this helps...
All the best on your journey...

Nov 23 15 08:06 am Link

Body Painter

Lisa Berczel

New Castle, Pennsylvania, US

Like any other product, you'll find that different formulas and different brands give unique results.

I prefer European Body Art - they have a VIBE (Water Based) line as well as Endrua (Alcohol Based) line.

I find that water based typically gives a more opaque coverage faster but that alochol based provides more subtle color control. I layer each in my work along with hand painting. Water based typically need a larger needle size than alcohol based.

I do advise 1 airbrush per formula if you do end up with more than one formula in your kit. Mixing formulas in the airbrush is an instant clog. And I encourage 2 different sizes of airbrush - one for detail, and a larger one for general coverage.

Nov 23 15 03:39 pm Link