Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Do you photo retouchers also do pro photography?

Photographer

Wheeling Tog

Wheeling, West Virginia, US

Or are you mainly into retouching?

Nov 24 15 07:59 am Link

Photographer

TMA Photo and Training

Lancaster, Pennsylvania, US

I can only speak for myself.

I do paid commercial and beauty photography outside of Mayhem...but here at Mayhem the environment is anything but commercial usually...so I also pay models... and I get paid by other models...and I also do free work when the spirit moves.  Mayhem is a fun place with a free spirit environment.

I also do commercial retouching outside of Mayhem...But here I teach and train others how to use Photoshop to retouch their own images.  I have a commercial magazine and agency retouch background...But here at Mayhem I teach others how to use a magazine focused workflow that I feel is very powerful and highly adjustable and fast.  I charge for that by the hour. 

Doing both Photography and Retouching together is necessary to get near perfect technical and creative images.  The combination of mostly paid photography and paid retouch coaching...I am able to make a living.  Mayhem is a bit unusual and unpredictable and it has a very broad range of skilled and talented individuals...models, photographers and retouchers.

So,  I enjoy the Mayhem side of things...and I also enjoy the blessing of using my training and talents to make a living as well.  Making a go of Mayhem is quite the challenge... and it takes a lot of creativity.

I might be a bit dual sided...Photographer and Retoucher Combo...thats why im responding. Hardly anything fits a rigid pattern here! LOL.   I think you may find some very fun and creative answers here.

Nov 24 15 12:31 pm Link

Photographer

Wheeling Tog

Wheeling, West Virginia, US

Thanks for the rundown.

You got lots of irons in the fire. Guess that is how it is with many a photog making a living from their craft.

Nov 26 15 07:41 am Link