Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > How Can I Extract Ring Light From Subjects Eyes??

Photographer

aidanorange

London, England, United Kingdom

Howdy guys, i'm needing help with taken some of the ring light out go the subjects eyes, not too much it be comes flat but enough to take away the alien look!
Aidan.

Nov 26 15 04:10 am Link

Retoucher

Removed_Account_532016

Sitrah, Sitrah, Bahrain

Maybe try to "burn" it? Or use a layer on "darken" mode and paint black with a low opacity.

Nov 26 15 07:41 am Link

Photographer

E Thompson Photography

Hyattsville, Maryland, US

Try the Clone Stamp tool on a separate layer. Sample frequently. You may add a layer mask to adjust your work.

Nov 26 15 09:44 am Link

Retoucher

Cole Bettelyoun

Martin, South Dakota, US

Be easier to answer if we could see a sample.

Nov 26 15 09:50 am Link

Photographer

TMA Photo and Training

Lancaster, Pennsylvania, US

I usually clone stamp the ring highlights out with the clone stamp tool on a separate clean layer above the original... and set the stamp tool to "all layers".  That way I can change or adjust any things out that I do not like.  When im done there are no catch lights in the eyes...only a perfect eye.  Then, with the eraser tool on that clear layer...or... if you're into non-destructive retouching... you can use a white layer mask on that layer...painting in with a black brush to erase that part of the correction...or with the white brush to reveal it back again... that gives me perfect visual control with the ability to change anything until its just perfect.

To put back in more attractive catch lights...I have a set of 25 "Catch Light Brushes" that I have created for situations like this... to put different kinds of catch lights back into the eyes... after I have removed the bad catch lights.  Those ring light dots are kinda intense for me too!  Beauty Dish, or Softbox, or Umbrella Catch Lights are much better looking and less obtrusive than some ring lights.

You can PM me... and I would be willing to share the brushes I have made up with you if you like.  It would be a download.

Ray@
GlamourRetouching.Com

Nov 26 15 10:12 am Link

Photographer

Don Garrett

Escondido, California, US

Cole Bettelyoun wrote:
Be easier to answer if we could see a sample.

I agree with this. When I see an actual example, I know how I would attack it.
   HOWEVER, I have always said, "If you can think it, you can do it, in Photoshop". Without seeing an example, I believe I would zoom WAY in, and use a very small "paintbrush", in Photoshop, on a separate layer, (over the "base" layer), and "paint" back in the details that are blown out by the lights, sampling from the colors that are there, (the paintbrush becomes a color sampler, when the ALT key is pressed), then merge that layer down, after it looks "perfect". I have about three before and after examples of this technique in my portfolio. I agree with TMA photo and retouch, above, that you can paint back in the desired catchlights afterward.
-Don

Nov 26 15 10:16 am Link

Photographer

Elegant Angels Photography

Navarre, Florida, US

A noob question here of course.  I am curious as I see a lot of this kind of thing in pictures.  While I know anything CAN be done in Photoshop, I feel like the better the image itself, the less needs to be done, so here is my long-winded question:  What is the most common, or easiest process, to prevent this "ring" in the eye from occurring in the first place?  Thanks in advance. and sorry if this is jacking a thread.  I just thought the question to be related to the topic.

Dec 10 15 09:14 am Link

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

Stamford, Connecticut, US

SNT Kustoms wrote:
A noob question here of course.  I am curious as I see a lot of this kind of thing in pictures.  While I know anything CAN be done in Photoshop, I feel like the better the image itself, the less needs to be done, so here is my long-winded question:  What is the most common, or easiest process, to prevent this "ring" in the eye from occurring in the first place?  Thanks in advance. and sorry if this is jacking a thread.  I just thought the question to be related to the topic.

The more the pupil is dilated the more light will enter the eye and the more red eye you will get.  If you can have your subject look at a bright light source (or if you use a ring light outside as fill in bright sunlight) this will reduce, or even eliminate, the effect.

Other than that, there's not a lot you can do, it's kind of hit or miss as it depends on the eyes.  A couple things to try are using a reflector on the ring light and playing with angles of reflection (have them look away from camera), but you probably won't be able to get them off axis enough.  Getting in close to your subject also helps, but we're talking headshot here.

I tend to like a reflector on ring lights, but I shoot them both ways.

Dec 11 15 05:51 am Link

Photographer

Elegant Angels Photography

Navarre, Florida, US

Giacomo Cirrincioni wrote:

The more the pupil is dilated the more light will enter the eye and the more red eye you will get.  If you can have your subject look at a bright light source (or if you use a ring light outside as fill in bright sunlight) this will reduce, or even eliminate, the effect.

Other than that, there's not a lot you can do, it's kind of hit or miss as it depends on the eyes.  A couple things to try are using a reflector on the ring light and playing with angles of reflection (have them look away from camera), but you probably won't be able to get them off axis enough.  Getting in close to your subject also helps, but we're talking headshot here.

I tend to like a reflector on ring lights, but I shoot them both ways.

ok.  Yeah, I knew about red-eye reduction and the like.  I had always thought a light reasonably bright enough but off-axis from the direct eye would be enough to reduce pupil dilation to stop red-eye, without causing a halo ring.  But again my experience is new to this, so perhaps my idea just won't work. lol

Dec 12 15 08:14 am Link

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

Stamford, Connecticut, US

SNT Kustoms wrote:

ok.  Yeah, I knew about red-eye reduction and the like.  I had always thought a light reasonably bright enough but off-axis from the direct eye would be enough to reduce pupil dilation to stop red-eye, without causing a halo ring.  But again my experience is new to this, so perhaps my idea just won't work. lol

I think that's what I said?  Maybe I wasn't clear...  Try putting a 100 watt light on a stand near the camera off axis.

Dec 12 15 09:39 am Link