Forums > Newbie Forum > New 21yo model, I have a lot of questions.

Model

Mariah R Benoit

Venice, Florida, US

Hello everyone! I've never really done any modeling before but I really want to make myself into a successful model. I've only ever had friends from school photograph me.

Is it okay if I ask for copies of original photos to edit in my own way? Is that what TFCD is? Like I'm okay with photographers editing the photos in any way they want but I also want to edit them in my own way? Then what if I use my edited version of the photo and not their final version in my portfolio? Is that rude?

What if a photographer takes a picture that I really don't like and it's really unflattering but they want to use it?

Sorry haha these are just some little things that make me nervous but I'm sure it varies from photographer to photographer.

Dec 13 15 03:18 pm Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

Is it okay if I ask for copies of original photos to edit in my own way?
It's OK for you to ask for anything you want--that's what negotiation is all about.

Is that what TFCD is?
Not really, but TFCD simply means the the parties, usually a model and a photographer, simply trade their services for the pictures that come out of the session, often, but not always, on a CD (In the old days it was TFP--Trade For Prints).

Like I'm okay with photographers editing the photos in any way they want but I also want to edit them in my own way? Then what if I use my edited version of the photo and not their final version in my portfolio? Is that rude?
It's not only rude, it's illegal.  In the U.S. at any rate, the photographer is the one that automatically owns the copyright (i.e. the right to copy as well as everything that goes with it such as sales to magazines, posting on the internet or modifying the original picture in any way) the instant he presses the button and the picture is fixed in permanent form, unless he agrees to allow you to do one or more of these things.  Technically, without that permission, you don't even have the right to print a copy to put into your book.

What if a photographer takes a picture that I really don't like and it's really unflattering but they want to use it?
As above, that right belongs to the photographer.  It's his artistic statement--He has every right to screw it up any way he wants, again unless he signs away some part of that right by agreement.  (If it's any comfort, some of the biggest stars share your concerns.  See http://gawker.com/5981957/beyonces-publ … e-internet  It's possible to win that sort of fight, but it's expensive.)

If you don't mind a bit of unsolicited advice, the best bet is to be careful what you shoot and with whom you shoot.  If they don't put out the kind of product you want to be a part of, then just don't shoot with them.  As in much of life, the best way to win a fight is to not get into one in the first. place.

All IMHO as always, of course.

Dec 13 15 03:53 pm Link

Photographer

BTHPhoto

Fairbanks, Alaska, US

Welcome to MM.  You might find newmodels.com to be helpful, particularly these topics:

How do you get pictures from Internet photographers without having to pay them?
All About TFP

When does an independent model need TFP? When is it a bad idea?
TFP/TFCD and its Place in My Career

Hey, what's this "Model Release" they gave me, and do I have to sign it?
All About Model's Releases

I did a photo shoot, and the photographer won't let me use my own pictures. What's up with that?
All About Usage Licenses

Dec 13 15 04:22 pm Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

TFP means time for print.  However it is rare that non agency internet models get prints.  This typically means TRADE.  YOU AND THE PHOTOGRAPHER  trade your skill set and no money changes hands.  When you are a new model it is important for you to have great images in your port. Working with better photographers each time out will help you get there.

Would I let a model edit pictures I took? No way, and I would consider the request rude on the part of the model.  Also as stated above the photographer owns the copyright not the model. They can post what they want, if he gives you images than you post whichever one you want.  Sometimes photographers and models have very different reasons for liking the images they do.

One last thought.  You said you will shoot nudes.  Is that true?  If not then you should take that off of your profile.  If true you will be overwhelmed with requests so you need to be very choosy on the style of nudes you do and the photographers you will work with.  Also will shooting nudes create problems for you trying to land an agency? Maybe yes, maybe no.

Anyway best of luck to you.

Dec 13 15 05:19 pm Link

Photographer

Todd Meredith

Fayetteville, North Carolina, US

Rays Fine Art wrote:
Is it okay if I ask for copies of original photos to edit in my own way?
It's OK for you to ask for anything you want--that's what negotiation is all about.

Is that what TFCD is?
Not really, but TFCD simply means the the parties, usually a model and a photographer, simply trade their services for the pictures that come out of the session, often, but not always, on a CD (In the old days it was TFP--Trade For Prints).

Like I'm okay with photographers editing the photos in any way they want but I also want to edit them in my own way? Then what if I use my edited version of the photo and not their final version in my portfolio? Is that rude?
It's not only rude, it's illegal.  In the U.S. at any rate, the photographer is the one that automatically owns the copyright (i.e. the right to copy as well as everything that goes with it such as sales to magazines, posting on the internet or modifying the original picture in any way) the instant he presses the button and the picture is fixed in permanent form, unless he agrees to allow you to do one or more of these things.  Technically, without that permission, you don't even have the right to print a copy to put into your book.

As above, that right belongs to the photographer.  It's his artistic statement--He has every right to screw it up any way he wants, again unless he signs away some part of that right by agreement.  (If it's any comfort, some of the biggest stars share your concerns.  See http://gawker.com/5981957/beyonces-publ … e-internet  It's possible to win that sort of fight, but it's expensive.)

If you don't mind a bit of unsolicited advice, the best bet is to be careful what you shoot and with whom you shoot.  If they don't put out the kind of product you want to be a part of, then just don't shoot with them.  As in much of life, the best way to win a fight is to not get into one in the first. place.

All IMHO as always, of course.

Fantastic advice given to a young, new model in a very polite way.  Many kudos for your professionalism!

Dec 13 15 05:48 pm Link

Photographer

Natural Means

Yamba, New South Wales, Australia

As well as the above advice, a good option is offer 10 senior models near your area a cup of coffee for half hr of mentoring. I would be surprised if less than 4 said yes.

Dec 13 15 06:14 pm Link

Photographer

First Life Photography

Plymouth, England, United Kingdom

Hello and Welcome to MM. smile

Dec 13 15 10:28 pm Link