Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > model seeking feedback on mua casting notice

Model

Kacy Tgirl

Los Angeles, California, US

Hi. I recently posted my 1st notice seeking mua for upcoming shoot: https://www.modelmayhem.com/casting/2269780
At first I posted it on tfp basis since that's arrangement between me and photog (plus I didn't want to insult mua by posting a really low rate).
Didn't get any replies so I revised to make it a for pay notice. Still haven't received any replies.
I would appreciate any mua feedback on how I may be approaching this incorrectly?
My apologies if this is wrong forum for this, just didn't think Critique Forum was appropo.
Look forward to your insights!
Thanks, Kacy

Dec 24 15 01:11 pm Link

Makeup Artist

muasunny

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Kacy Tgirl wrote:
Hi. I recently posted my 1st notice seeking mua for upcoming shoot: https://www.modelmayhem.com/casting/2269780
At first I posted it on tfp basis since that's arrangement between me and photog (plus I didn't want to insult mua by posting a really low rate).
Didn't get any replies so I revised to make it a for pay notice. Still haven't received any replies.
I would appreciate any mua feedback on how I may be approaching this incorrectly?
My apologies if this is wrong forum for this, just didn't think Critique Forum was appropo.
Look forward to your insights!
Thanks, Kacy

Date and location might be key factor.  The dates you posted is during holiday season.  I sometimes also have problems with casting because simply nobody is available.

As for the compensation, $35 seems to be little low for the amount of work and time involved. 1 hour may not be sufficient unless you hire an experienced or seasoned MUA which will cost you more plus ONLY IF the photoshoot goes smoothly. You need to also account for the makeup artist's travel time and gas involved.  if location is too far, then it might not be worth their time to travel for just $35.

There are several things that may need some clarification such as what do you mean by "makeup needs of a male to female transitioning"??

Hope this helps.

Dec 24 15 02:43 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Tiffany_B

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Raw-Beauty wrote:
Date and location might be key factor.  The dates you posted is during holiday season.  I sometimes also have problems with casting because simply nobody is available.

As for the compensation, $35 seems to be little low for the amount of work and time involved. 1 hour may not be sufficient unless you hire an experienced or seasoned MUA which will cost you more plus ONLY IF the photoshoot goes smoothly. You need to also account for the makeup artist's travel time and gas involved.  if location is too far, then it might not be worth their time to travel for just $35.

There are several things that may need some clarification such as what do you mean by "makeup needs of a male to female transitioning"??

Hope this helps.

+ 1

One of the most difficult things for you is likely going to be securing a low/no cost make-up artist who can handle the needs of someone transitioning. Even amazing make-up schools are limited in what they teach (e.g. I was shocked to learn from a graduate of a great school in N.Y. that the students didn't even have models to work on and so the only reason she knew how to work on Asian eyes was because there was an Asian girl in the class), and as such it's likely that with a limited budget you're not going to have much luck (at least not on Model Mayhem). My sincere suggestions would be to find a local theater and/or club where they do drag shows. In terms of the former ask who does make-up as they may be qualified in handling specialty make-up (I'd look specifically for someplace that's done a production of "Hairspray" is possible) and in terms of the latter reach out to some of the drag queens. Please note that in advising you to speak to drag queens I'm not attempting to be offensive, as I'm aware there's a difference between someone who is trans and someone who does drag work, it's more a matter of logistics in that a drag performer will likely be able to either a) show you how you can best work your angles so that you're able to do your own make-up or b) direct you towards a professional who may be more comfortable handling your specific make-up needs based on their particular skill level/skill-set.

Dec 24 15 07:59 pm Link

Photographer

TerrysPhotocountry

Rochester, New York, US

Just tell the MUA that you will need them for 2 hr's and provide the city and ask for there rates.

Dec 24 15 08:59 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Tiffany_B

Atlanta, Georgia, US

TerrysPhotocountry wrote:
Just tell the MUA that you will need them for 2 hr's and provide the city and ask for there rates.

In this instance that advice likely won't help the OP.

First, the OP is on a budget (as noted by the fact that the offer in the casting is to compensate better once paying work comes their way) so asking for rates rather than supplying information relative to what they can pay is likely only going to lead to replies from MUAs outside of that price range. Is it a guarantee that all of the MUA's will be overpriced? Of course not, but if there were no/low cost MUAs they likely would have replied already.

Second, two hours may realistically not be enough time in this instance because the model is both older and transitioning which presents two unique factors which have to be handled harmoniously and if you know anything about make-up application you'll understand that the minimal look desired by the photographer is often the most difficult to achieve. Additionally, the shots will be in black and white and in color and there will likely need to be some adjustment for that.

Dec 24 15 09:24 pm Link

Model

Kacy Tgirl

Greatly appreciate insightful feedback from all 3 of you. To boil down what I gather from that feedback is:

-To avoid confusion, I should clarify a bit about what I mean in regard to a mua who can handle particular needs of a male to female transitioning tg
-Particulars of what I seek may be a case of rate of compensation being more critical than usual since skill sets involved are necessarily beyond a mua open to work via tfp or a nominal compensation scenario (“show me the money”)
-The time commitment I outlined probably needs to be beefed up

Putting such aside for the moment (since I’ll tweak notice to account for them), is there anything in notice that would chase away prospective mua’s or, is it lacking in something that is necessary to spark some interest by mua’s?

Look forward to another round of feedback and then I’ll leave it be so as to not take up valuable 1st page real estate in this forum.

Thanks! Kacy

Dec 24 15 11:57 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Danielle Blazer

A test, or job in which photos trade hands rather than money, is for the purpose of building one's portfolio to gain more work. Some on this site call this "TF" which is actually not an industry term. Real tests involve agency signed models or those who meet agency standards. Since you are not in this category you need to regard this as what it is: an individual hiring an artist to do makeup for an event. Real artists are going to recognize this reading your casting call and aren't going to be willing to work for free. Since they can't use the photos for a portfolio that's what you're asking.

So now that you know you need to hire an artist, how do you go about it? The type of makeup you require is a sub-specialty not every artist is trained in. These artists are likely to be experienced and not cheap. I'm in your area and happen to be quite experienced in TG and drag, if you look at my portfolio you'll see men in female makeup and androgynous makeup...and maybe you won't, which is the point. Look for photos like these on artists' sites to be sure they can deliver. Ask for quotes. Save up. Even better, ask what they charge for private lessons so you can learn to do your own makeup.

I don't mean to sound harsh at all. I am simply sick of seeing untrained artists attempt drag and TG makeup and fail at the client's expense. I want you to have a good experience. All the best.

Dec 26 15 09:49 pm Link

Model

Kacy Tgirl

Thanks for the feedback Danielle!
xoxo
Kacy

Jan 04 16 10:12 am Link

Body Painter

Cat Camp

Tampa, Florida, US

May I chime in? Sometimes, I go for a month or more between checking Casting Calls; but will usually see a private email message within the week. Perhaps if you Browse makeup artists in your area, check their qualifications & payment requirements, then email them directly to inquire about the shoot you wish to do, your responses would be more prompt.

Jan 11 16 10:12 pm Link