Forums > Critique > Serious Critique > Portfolio Critique?

Photographer

JPWPhoto

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hi Everyone,

I'm fairly new to the forum and am always looking improve my photography! Any feedback would be very helpful, so that I can remember them for the next shoot (and improve)! Here is the link to my page https://www.modelmayhem.com/3716517

Thanks so much!

Jon

Dec 29 15 08:55 am Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

JPWPhoto wrote:
...looking improve my photography...

Jon from your MM BIO

...pursue my main passion of portraiture...

This would be your strongest portraiture image...
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/150719/11/55abf3310ef76.jpg

Albeit it would have been so much stronger if you had used a longer focal length...
50mm is decidedly short for full frame... Her hands are too large for want of compression...
Remember the whatever is closes to the lens will appear considerable larger with normal length glass...

Second issue which is so common with newbies is shooting wide open ƒ/1.4...
Maybe just don't go there for portraiture... works for editorial but not portraiture...
If you wish to render a distracting background out of the narrative then select much longer glass...
With a longer focal length your angle of view is greatly reduced and the background goes to bokeh i.e. out of focus..

Might consider using your EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM at the long end... would assure adequate DOF

Did a beauty seminar with one of the industries top beauty shooters and his glass of choice was...
Canon EF 180mm f/3.5L Macro USM Lens It doesn't get any better than this...

btw, for beauty I shoot the Nikon AF Micro-NIKKOR 200mm f/4D IF-ED Lens which is virtually identical in image quality to Canon's glass...   

That said, this is where I believe you need to go with portraiture...
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/150711/09/55a13fb559fc4.jpg

The EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM lens at 180mm is ideal and should be your go to glass...
Might save the fast 50mm for full length fashion which it excels at on your Canon EOS 5DS...

Final thoughts?  Please rethink shooting talent square on to the lens... turn them sideways and have them look back at the lens... they'll look thinner...  You're shooting everyone from a standing position... get lower... your lens needs to be at their navel height... or get above their head and shoot down... want to make them taller? get on the ground and shoot up... Invest time in VOGUE, ELLE etc and reverse engineer all the imagery... study not only the lens perspectives but also the catch lights in the eyes... figure out how they are being illuminated...

Hope this helps...
You have a nice book...
All the best on your journey...

Dec 29 15 03:22 pm Link

Photographer

JPWPhoto

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Thank you very much Thomas! I really appreciate the comments. I have been a long time reader of forums and photography guides, however I always was lacking on the going out and taking photos part haha. I completely agree with you with the focal length, my 70-200mm is my go-to for portraits/sports however I think the ability to communicate is hindered at the longer focal lengths, so i popped on the 50mm for those reasons. However i must tell you, the sharpness of the Sigma 50mm Art is as good or better than my 70-200mm, it is unreal how well the optics are for this lens, despite the having very little compression. I am looking to trade it in for the 85 f1.2 or 100mm/135mm because of the compression is better with the 50mm.

I will absolutely work towards directing more (I believe that you must bring out the best in your talent when you are shooting), just trying to manage all the tiny details is proving challenging haha. I've taken a great interest in studio work and I will be posting some work soon. Would I post here again to get some critiques?

Jon

Dec 29 15 09:44 pm Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

JPWPhoto wrote:
...I think the ability to communicate is hindered at the longer focal lengths...

Agreed, albeit another compelling reason to develop a strong team... working multiple times with talent oft yields a quantum increase in synergy... actually much directing occurs during casting and session planning, thus is the reason story boards are ubiquitous at the commercial level... by the time the talent is on set the narrative is well understood...

JPWPhoto wrote:
...However i must tell you, the sharpness of the Sigma 50mm Art is as good or better than my 70-200mm, it is unreal how well the optics are for this lens...

The 50mm on a full frame is an industry standard for full length fashion... Primes are the choice of virtual all commercial shooters (at least in my market and I assist quite a few).  The 70-200mm is indispensable for wedding and sport shooters... Here zooms make sense are indeed are the defacto standard for weddings

JPWPhoto wrote:
looking to trade it in for the 85 f1.2 or 100mm/135mm because of the compression...

Wise if you wish to specialize in portraiture and/or beauty...  The AF 135mm 2.0 DC Nikkor is my choice for beauty while the 85mm 1.4 is possibly the most versatile professional lens I use... if I had to chose only one lens for the studio it would be my AF 85mm 1.4D Nikkor...   

JPWPhoto wrote:
...just trying to manage all the tiny details is proving challenging...

Jon the devil is in the details... especially for fashion and beauty...  Best advice? Shoot with a full team (hair, makeup and wardrobe) only then can you hope to take your visual statement to the next level...

Hope this makes sense...
Again all the best on your journey Jon

Dec 30 15 08:12 am Link