Forums > Model Colloquy > Where to find good not to pricy clothes for pinup

Model

A L O

Sarasota, Florida, US

Hello, everyone!
I really want to do more pinup but realize all the clothes are so expensive and you only can use it once...
Any advice how to put nice wardrobe together on a budget?
Thank you!!!

Jan 04 16 06:37 pm Link

Model

Bts

Tottenham, Ontario, Canada

Ebay an app called Geek from Google play, alliexpress,

Jan 04 16 07:02 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Bots

Kingston, Ontario, Canada

Angelina L wrote:
Hello, everyone!
I really want to do more pinup but realize all the clothes are so expensive and you only can use it once...
Thank you!!!

Thrift stores - especially if they have a vintage section

Ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Style-R … 1535562457
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Retro-S … 1824390126

Jan 04 16 07:04 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Tiffany_B

Atlanta, Georgia, US

My first suggestion is that you find a stylist to collaborate with on a consistent basis. This may be less costly than buying the garments yourself even in situations where you need to pay for their services, and will provide you with consistent access to diverse looks. If however this isn't an option here are some solutions that may benefit you:

1. Train yourself to look at the garments you purchase objectively. You make the claim that you can only wear each garment once but if you buy basic pieces they can be styled differently to appear unique in images. For example if you buy a basic black wiggle dress it can a) be worn as a standalone piece, b) do the work of a pencil skirt by wearing it under a fully buttoned top or cardigan (if you also get an elastic belt the top can be tucked into that to better pull off the illusion), and c) do the work of a top by putting a full circle skirt over it.

2. Shop online but avoid the usual suspects in terms of stores. If you're willing to wait a month+ for garments you can find some great deals with websites based in Asia such as Sammy Dress (http://www.sammydress.com/Wholesale-Vin … HwodE1QNEw). Be mindful though that in addition to the long wait the sizes aren't U.S. so you'll need to pay careful attention to the measurements listed and when in doubt order a size up.

3. Scour your local thrift stores. Thrift stores can be super hit or miss, but they're worth a look. Also note that if you have sewing skills that it may be possible to upcycle pieces to suit your needs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjHGdtWEHug

Jan 04 16 07:06 pm Link

Photographer

Photos_by_Stan

Youngstown, Ohio, US

A thrift store near me had lots of outfits and shoes .... $2 each item ...
think I bought 5 dresses , 5 pair of shoes and a purse ... all for about $20 ....
went back a few months later and they had one or two 'new' ones

another one near it ... vintage stuff ... $ 88 apiece ( and I did not think it really was the look )

Just have to go and look ..... ( but I had to ask the model if she was OK with used clothes )
gave them to her so she could clean them as many times as she wanted before the shoot
( let her keep them after too )

I don't like those online Asian places for clothes ( WAY off even going by their compare to U.S. size )
and the low price was not worth it once the shipping got added in ... at least from my experience

Never tried this one yet ... but fairly cheap  http://www.babygirlboutique.com

Jan 05 16 01:19 am Link

Makeup Artist

Wigs and Makeup Allison

Costa Mesa, California, US

I do a ton of styling for pinup shoots.  The vast majority of my collection is things I have found in thrift stores.  I have also used eBay.  Most of my swimsuits come from www. punkabilly-clothing.com.  Always try to think out of the box--things like pencil skirts, tight sweaters, nightgowns, slips, men's pajama tops, and kimono robes can be great pinup items that can usually be easily found in thrift stores.

Part of the secret of pinup is knowing where to invest your money.  A great retro garter belt and stockings can go a long way in transforming a look into pinup ( I get most of my stockings from www.sockdreams.com).  My garter belts are either from eBay or local costume sales (it is important to get one that doesn't look too contemporary.). Shoes are another good investment. 

I cannot stress the importance that hair and makeup plays in successful pinup.  There are some great books out there-- Vintage Hairstyling by Lauren Rennells is one of my faves.  I also plan to get the new Dita Von Teese beauty book.

Hope this helps!

Jan 05 16 02:46 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Tiffany_B

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Photos by Stan wrote:
I don't like those online Asian places for clothes ( WAY off even going by their compare to U.S. size )
and the low price was not worth it once the shipping got added in ... at least from my experience

Your problem was you compared by sizes and not by measurements. Even in the U.S. sizing isn't universal for women's clothes which is why in my closet presently I have pieces in two different sizes. As long as the OP properly measures herself she should be fine (and size up when in doubt). Additionally, I'm not sure what you're paying in shipping or what sites you used but most places I've dealt with have offered shipping ranging from free-around $5.

OP as with everything there is no singular solution that will work for everyone, I suggest that you utilize the suggestions that work for you.

Jan 05 16 09:47 am Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

Photos by Stan wrote:

You need to use common sense and learn to adapt.  I don't have any problem buy from the Chinese Vendors on eBay.  Most of the items are free shipping anyway.

Jan 05 16 10:21 am Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

Wigs and Makeup Allison wrote:
I do a ton of styling for pinup shoots.  The vast majority of my collection is things I have found in thrift stores.  I have also used eBay.  Most of my swimsuits come from www. punkabilly-clothing.com.  Always try to think out of the box--things like pencil skirts, tight sweaters, nightgowns, slips, men's pajama tops, and kimono robes can be great pinup items that can usually be easily found in thrift stores.

Part of the secret of pinup is knowing where to invest your money.  A great retro garter belt and stockings can go a long way in transforming a look into pinup ( I get most of my stockings from www.sockdreams.com).  My garter belts are either from eBay or local costume sales (it is important to get one that doesn't look too contemporary.). Shoes are another good investment. 

I cannot stress the importance that hair and makeup plays in successful pinup.  There are some great books out there-- Vintage Hairstyling by Lauren Rennells is one of my faves.  I also plan to get the new Dita Von Teese beauty book.

Hope this helps!

Good info. 

I have been shy away from the pin up shoot because i found it is very costly to produce quality work in this genre.  Unfortunately, every model under the sun wants to do pin up.  Sadly 99.9% fails so miserably, just look around this on MM.  I don't want to add another me-too images into the masses.  .....  big_smile

Jan 05 16 10:27 am Link

Photographer

TMA Photo and Training

Lancaster, Pennsylvania, US

I've read thru the thread... and did not specifically notice seeing our own Model Mayhem "Marketplace" listed.

Dont know if youre interested in it...but you can buy Pinup type of Clothing and Accessories there at some very good prices at times.   Buy your pieces at a discount,  use it once for your shoot,  and then list it back again to recover your costs.  A model I just shot did that... and was happy with what she was able to put together there.  You would look great in a Pinup scene.  Some effort...but it might be a potential resource for you to also consider... Heres the link.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/thread/6

Jan 05 16 10:37 am Link

Photographer

Rob Sinkus Photography

JOBSTOWN, New Jersey, US

I once needed evening wear for an image. I found a Tux, little black dress & women's shoes for a total of $ 16.00 at the local Goodwill store.

Jan 05 16 10:52 am Link

Photographer

Gabby57

Ponca City, Oklahoma, US

Does it ever make sense to use costume rental facilities?

Jan 05 16 11:47 am Link

Photographer

Gabby57

Ponca City, Oklahoma, US

fat fingered duplicate

Jan 05 16 11:47 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Tiffany_B

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Gabby57 wrote:
Does it ever make sense to use costume rental facilities?

It seriously depends on a number of factors including, but not limited to: cost, policies, look, and available sizing. This is also something that isn't available in every market. In the event that you can find an affordable place in your area that caters to the necessary sizes and has pieces that look authentic vs like costumes this could be viable especially for more elaborate pieces.

Riffing off of this I have in the past suggested that people contact local theater companies for garments either to see if a) they can borrow/rent something for a shoot or b) to develop a relationship with whoever handles costuming in house. In looking specifically for pin-up wear however this may be more difficult to find especially based on what exactly the OP is looking to shoot.

Jan 05 16 12:05 pm Link

Model

A L O

Sarasota, Florida, US

OMG! So many great ideas and places!!! Thank you so much! I'm going to consider all the new store you listed!!!! I really appreciate all the information!
About thrift stores... I'm either in a bad location or don't know how to look... But I never found anything that will work for me sad  I have to keep doing it though!

Jan 05 16 08:20 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Bots

Kingston, Ontario, Canada

Angelina L wrote:
OMG! So many great ideas and places!!! Thank you so much! I'm going to consider all the new store you listed!!!! I really appreciate all the information!
About thrift stores... I'm either in a bad location or don't know how to look... But I never found anything that will work for me sad  I have to keep doing it though!

Best thrift stores in Pittsburgh
https://www.reddit.com/r/pittsburgh/com … ittsburgh/

Jan 06 16 09:28 am Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

Angelina L wrote:
----
----
Thank you!!!

Why only once?  Do you shoot only anonymous poses now that your face has been visible in a picture?

Skirt with top A is not the same picture as skirt with top B.

Chemise with pose A is not the same picture as chemise with Pose B

And a bath towel is a bath towel is a bath towel!

Pinup is more about the style than the clothing-- Saucy, Sexy, Impertinent, Enthusiastic and Fun!  If you can project those qualities (and that is, after all, your job as a pinup model) you'll be fine.  But if you're stiff and unenthusiastic, even dour or look like you're just standing around while someone takes your picture, no amount of wardrobe styling can help.

All IMHO as always, of course.

Jan 06 16 11:07 am Link

Photographer

Park Avenue Pin-ups

Waverly, New York, US

I find a lot of my stuff on eBay and occasionally Etsy.  Estate sales can be good places to look too but are hit or miss.

Jan 06 16 04:52 pm Link

Model

Crystal Wings

San Diego, California, US

Angelina L wrote:
Hello, everyone!
Thank you!!!

Thrift stores are the best! It take a little bit of searching for the right size but it's worth it as you can find so many clothing pieces at such a cheap price.

Also, if you're handy with a sewing machine, you can tailor those thrift-store finds as needed.

Jan 06 16 06:27 pm Link

Photographer

erics_Toronto_GTA

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Angelina L wrote:
Hello, everyone!
Thank you!!!

Aliexpress

Jan 06 16 10:05 pm Link

Model

Svetlana Muerte

Austin, Texas, US

There's a Facebook group for second-hand Pin-Up Girl Clothing (and similar brands). That can be a good source. Also, check  vintage clothing stores. Sometimes they have good deals on clothing that might have a few flaws that you'd be able to cover up in a photo.

Jan 07 16 05:42 am Link