Forums > General Industry > bodypaint shoot-what to wear?

Model

DONALD

CANOGA PARK, California, US

Quick question. I'm booked for a M/F bodypaint shoot and as the shoot is not to be full nudes, the female model and I are discussion about basic "coverage". We were thinking nude thong and pasties for her and some type of posing strap for myself but not sure what a painter would prefer to work on. Obviously a lot would have to do with the paint designs and how much skin surface would be painted, but any input from painters, experienced model and photogs would be a huege help!  Thanks!

Jan 09 16 07:24 am Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

Try your local Victoria's Secret and tell the clerk you need some sort of briefs for body painting.  The girl knew exactly what I needed and I was sort of surprised they had so many body painters asking about them.

They had some seamless bikini bottoms that were very cheap but they only came in white and black, no nude color and sometimes the nudes are a bit dark for untanned areas, imho.  I bought the white one and dyed it in some weak RIT dye to match the model's skin coloring (They were made of some fabric that allowed for dye, i.e. Rayon or a bit of cotton maybe in the stretch fabric?  Poly isn't too dye receptive.).  Worked well for her and she kept them for other ones.

Jan 09 16 07:48 am Link

Model

Isis22

Muncie, Indiana, US

Ask the body painter.

Jan 09 16 08:06 am Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

Isis22 wrote:
Ask the body painter.

The only reasonable answer because the decision(s) will rely on your boundaries + the other model's boundaries + the body painter's vision + the photographer's vision, with the deciding vote in any case being cast by whoever is paying for the shoot.

All IMHO as always, of course.

P.S. Many, perhaps most, body paint models think of themselves as not being nude once the paint is applied so the question of any other "covering" may not apply.

Jan 09 16 08:49 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post/620279
https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post/929819

Unfortunately there's not lots of info there, and much of it is very incorrect or totally useless (like the guy saying he only paints nude models... which has nothing to do with the question that was asked).
Most of my shoots for the past few years have been bodypaint shoots.  I work with the largest bodypainting studio on earth and have worked with many of the top arteeeests in the USA.

If the session is for something critical they usually use a seamless short or panty. I'll see the owner of the company tonight and try to find out exactly what brand is used.  I know they don't cost as much as you'd think, as they retail 'em for about $5 to $10 to  customers.

Jan 09 16 10:17 am Link

Body Painter

Cat Camp

Tampa, Florida, US

Hi Donald! Definitely...ask your artist first what they have in mind.
If they would like some form of underwear for you, head to eBay, type in "mens briefs" in men's underwear & limit the materials to: microfiber, polyester & maybe silk blend. NO COTTON & NO COTTON BLENDS. Find underwear that costs as little as possible, since you'll probably toss them after the shoot. No printing on the outsides, but tags can usually be cut delicately out with microscissors or seam ripper or Exacto knife (ask friends who sew). White, tan, beige, blush, brown or nude are all possible colors. Your artist may even WANT them to show & coordinate with the painting; black, red, lime, zebra, etc.
I personally do not like posing pouch styles for body paint; interrupts the flow of the body. I prefer briefs with sculpted pouches, plain briefs, thongs, or double-strap jock styles.

Jan 11 16 09:49 pm Link

Model

DONALD

CANOGA PARK, California, US

Thanks all! Great suggestions.The painter just said to wear "whatever you are comfortable in".  I'm thinking form-fitting briefs or thongs would be best to help smooth silhouette lines. Posing straps or "socks" I feel call to much attention and I don't care at all for the nude full-frontal look of body painted male models.

Jan 12 16 04:18 am Link

Photographer

Flex Photography

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

A smile!

Jan 12 16 07:17 am Link