Forums > Critique > Looking for honest opinions

Photographer

MarioCortez

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

Hello everyone I'm a Indianapolis based photographer/retoucher and i would like a honest opinion on some of my work, thanks.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/39946189

Jan 10 16 11:50 am Link

Photographer

Lee_Photography

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Loose the selective color
Not a fan of the washed out look in some of your photos

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/150222/00/54e998bfb7d9c_m.jpg
Try not to center your subjects, the fix for this photo simply crop some of the left side of the photo off.

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/150519/18/555be4e632698_m.jpg
Try not to cut hands off with that much arm showing

Are you using a calibrated monitor for your work?

I wish you well

Jan 10 16 04:29 pm Link

Photographer

DespayreFX

Delta, British Columbia, Canada

Agree with above. Not a fan of the hazy washed out look either.

I think this image could be made a lot better if you pushed the retouching further, you're halfway to a cinematic look, I think if you got rid of the haze, and pushed it further in that direction, (and took out the security lights and wires in the ceiling), you'd have a really good shot.

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/160110/10/5692a4b0a3802_m.jpg

Others may see it differently, hope that helps.
D.

Jan 11 16 09:48 am Link

Photographer

TMA Photo and Training

Lancaster, Pennsylvania, US

Hi Mario,

I like your models and your captures.  Everybody is learning Photography / Lighting / Posing and Retouching at different rates.  It looks like you have been at this all for a couple of years...so you have some nice basic shots.   Your avitar is especially nice.

For me, IMHO,  I might like to see you add some directional lights to your present setup if you could.  Your lighting is pretty evenly spread around...but adding in some kicker side lights...or a large octabox or other fixture...might allow you to add in some more shadows and highlights to your subjects.  It would give your images some more drama, impact, depth, and modeling (3 dimensional, shadowed/highlight looks).  It would add in some mood or other kinds of looks besides a flat even look...which is great to start with.

I might also like to see some additional posing from your subjects over time.  Several of your images are just straight on images...which is OK...but turning your subjects, creating more angles and curves in their bodies... and the use of angeled head, arms, torso, hips and legs, and learning what negative space is...might increase the visual interest in your subjects some more.  I save and look at other peoples "Lists" here on Mayhem... that collect and show great to learn POSES.   I also keep some great looking poses on separate folders (by pose category) on my hard drive... so I can refresh my mind on what great poses are made of.  I also tear out sheets from Vogue and Glamour magazines to collect some nice current looking poses.  I use these as reference images to help me in my own pose education.

Doing lighting and posing are some of the next steps after learning F Stops, wash lighting, how to use your cameras controls, posting etc etc that you have and will be learning.  Theres a whole bunch of interesting things to learn additionally to get even greater images.  Ive been at it for 13 years...and im still learning new things that get me excited. 

You have started out just great... but theres Always some amazing new stuff to spice up your visual impact.  Asking for opinions is also a great way to get outside the box ideas... which you are doing now... SO...  keep on improving your Art and your Craft.

Wish you God Speed in all you do.

Jan 11 16 12:02 pm Link

Photographer

Wheeling Tog

Wheeling, West Virginia, US

It is OK, one of the better ones of your portfolio for me.

I like your watermark.

Jan 11 16 12:26 pm Link

Photographer

TMA Photo and Training

Lancaster, Pennsylvania, US

+1
I think you have a classy, artistic, professional looking watermark on your avitar also

Jan 11 16 12:32 pm Link

Photographer

MarioCortez

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

I would like to thank everyone for your input. I love learning new things and bettering myself and I definitely feel that photography is a never ending learning experience and that why I love doing it. Thanks again everyone.

Jan 13 16 07:16 am Link