Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > What CAMERA should I get????

Model

B00tylicious

Newark, New Jersey, US

I am trying to get into/ switch over to being a photographer immediately and just wondering what Camera would you fellow photographers recommend (for good quality photos and video) and for what price do they go????
(Also any tips/advice on getting started?) Please let me know.

Thank You!

Jan 11 16 07:49 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

San Francisco, California, US

canon rebel.

Jan 11 16 07:50 pm Link

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

Los Angeles, California, US

Dear Ms. Bootylicious

I highly recommend Canon Rebel.

Jan 11 16 07:52 pm Link

Photographer

Tropic Light

Kailua, Hawaii, US

I'd have to agree that the Rebel T5 is a good camera.  B&H has it for $399 with the 18-55mm kit lens.  If you get bit by the photography bug, you'll be wanting a lot more gear, but that's a good place to start.

Jan 11 16 08:06 pm Link

Photographer

Bare Essential Photos

Upland, California, US

That's a no brainer : )

Get the Canon Rebel T6i.

Jan 11 16 08:16 pm Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Pay no attention to these morons who keep saying Canon or Nikon. If your'e finding yourself in dire need for one of those, I'd suggest starting with either the new Nikon D5, which just came out or the Canon 1D X. Both of those are great starting cameras if you find a need to stick to one of the big two makers.

What you REALLY want though is either the Hasselblad H5D-200c or if you're on a very tight budget, go with a Leica S with a 70mm lens. With either of those, you won't go wrong, especially if you're just starting out.

Jan 11 16 08:17 pm Link

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

Los Angeles, California, US

Shot By Adam wrote:
Pay no attention to these morons who keep saying Canon or Nikon. If your'e finding yourself in dire need for one of those, I'd suggest starting with either the new Nikon D5, which just came out or the Canon 1D X. Both of those are great starting cameras if you find a need to stick to one of the big two makers.

What you REALLY want though is either the Hasselblad H5D-200c or if you're on a very tight budget, go with a Leica S with a 70mm lens. With either of those, you won't go wrong, especially if you're just starting out.

lol.

Jan 11 16 08:23 pm Link

Photographer

Happy Guy Photos

Upland, California, US

The Canon EOS M10 would be very nice for your needs.

It's very versatile and affordable.

Jan 11 16 08:32 pm Link

Photographer

Allen Carbon

Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand

I'd go for the 1dmkiv then if you rally get into photography, start thinking about phase ones.

... just joking

Rebels is a good answer

Jan 11 16 08:36 pm Link

Photographer

descending chain

San Diego, California, US

Shot By Adam wrote:

The OP requires video, so the Hassie is out.  Perhaps she could tell us her priorities.  I think she should get a Red for its video with still capture capability.

Jan 11 16 08:37 pm Link

Photographer

highStrangeness

Carmichael, California, US

Bare Essential Photos wrote:

Get the Canon Rebel T6i.

Everyone's talking about the Rebels, but from what I understand the D5200/5300 has better image quality...

Jan 11 16 08:57 pm Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

Shot By Adam wrote:

bad Adam

Jan 11 16 09:01 pm Link

Photographer

SAND DIAL

Santa Monica, California, US

B00tylicious wrote:
I am trying to get into/ switch over to being a photographer immediately and just wondering what Camera would you fellow photographers recommend (for good quality photos and video) and for what price do they go????

Thank You!

A gently used Sony and maxxum [dirt cheap] lenses.
Ultimately, buy what you can afford to buy.

Jan 11 16 09:08 pm Link

Photographer

Lovely Day Media

Vineland, New Jersey, US

When I was buying my first DSLR, the advice I got was to go into a store that has cameras on display. Pick them up, put them to your face, etc. When you find one that feels great, that's the one you want. In this case, "great" means you like the size of the camera and you're comfortable with the weight. All of the cameras are going to be more or less in the same weight range but there are differences in other ways, too.

It doesn't much matter if you buy Canon or Nikon (I chose Canon personally) and you may even select Olympus, Sony or one of the other non heavyweights (I call Canon and Nikon heavyweights because they are the most popular so they have the most lens choices, etc and the used market is huge ... check eBay out). Just remember that you're not just buying a camera. You're buying a system, too. Unless you have it like that, buying a camera usually means buying lenses of that brand for it and those lenses can and usually are expensive.

There are adapters so one can use Nikon glass on a Canon camera (I believe the opposite is true, too) but that's more money to spend. If you like Nikon lenses, just buy a Nikon camera. 

If you can't afford to buy the camera you like, buy another one from that same brand. This way, you can build your kit slowly and one day, when you can afford the camera you want or they've replaced it with something newer and/or better, you can buy it and not have to start building your kit all over again.

Since you didn't say you wanted an SLR, you have to ask yourself how far you want to take this. If you just want to take some pictures, a point and shoot camera might be good enough (and far cheaper). If you want to take this all to the next level and make adjustments to things, etc (not shooting in the full auto mode) pick up a DSLR.  Have fun with the journey.

Jan 12 16 01:52 am Link

Photographer

Natural Means

Yamba, New South Wales, Australia

Depends on your goals and priorities.

I rate ergonomic hugely - always have with tools (firearms, camera, etc etc), so Pentax for me.

Outdoors - Weather resistance, dust resistant camera and lens

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNG0DsX6Rno

(review from a couple of models ago but you get the point)
and you can get a 40 year lens for about 40 dollars that will take shots like this

http://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews … -Lens.html

Going to carry and walk extensively - Size (I love the little Olympus cameras with their great little lens)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xim-OQ9p1Q

(Mate of mine, better photographer than I, shoots Canon full frame and bought a little Olympus to cover a need for light and handy kit, he's looking for reasons to take the Olympus to as many shoots as possible now)

Pretty much any camera you buy will ive better results than most of us photographer now, its a matter of what fits, is easy to drive - whatever you do pick up atleast 2 cameras from all possible manufacturers.

Jan 12 16 02:31 am Link

Photographer

PhillipM

Nashville, Tennessee, US

RED.

It shoots great video.

http://www.red.com/shot-on-red

Jan 12 16 04:27 am Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

descending chain wrote:

The OP requires video, so the Hassie is out.  Perhaps she could tell us her priorities.  I think she should get a Red for its video with still capture capability.

Agreed, Red would be a good start. My biggest fear though is that if she goes that route, we'll be seeing another thread from her about the high cost of the Adobe CC package because she's going to need software for image editing and video post production.

Jan 12 16 05:20 am Link

Photographer

Al Lock Photography

Bangkok, Bangkok, Thailand

B00tylicious wrote:

Thank You!

You live in Newark! You need the smallest camera you can find. One that you can hide!

Jan 12 16 06:02 am Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

You need to go to a good camera store, not Best Buy, and talk to quailed salespeople. Your are not far from one of the best, https://www.uniquephoto.com/ . All cameras are good today but I recommend either Nikon  or Canon. If someone recommends one brand over another ask WHY and then get other opinions if they use vague terms and are not specific. Run thru the menues, see how well you see thru the viewfinder, how the camera fits your hands and ow easy the controls are to access without removing the camera from your eye.
If the person is a fanboy ignore most of what they say and seek a second opinion. I spent many years selling cameras and teaching / managing others to dos so and many push what they like not what is best for the customer. When you decide don't waste time shopping for price,as everyone has the same price within pennies and if there is a big difference something is wrong.
Good luck.

Jan 12 16 06:32 am Link

Photographer

PhillipM

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Shot By Adam wrote:

Agreed, Red would be a good start. My biggest fear though is that if she goes that route, we'll be seeing another thread from her about the high cost of the Adobe CC package because she's going to need software for image editing and video post production.

Just spit tea all over my monitor...

Point on.

Jan 12 16 09:48 am Link

Photographer

Natural Means

Yamba, New South Wales, Australia

Bob Helm Photography wrote:
You need to go to a good camera store, not Best Buy, and talk to quailed salespeople. Your are not far from one of the best, https://www.uniquephoto.com/ . All cameras are good today but I recommend either Nikon  or Canon. If someone recommends one brand over another ask WHY and then get other opinions if they use vague terms and are not specific. Run thru the menues, see how well you see thru the viewfinder, how the camera fits your hands and ow easy the controls are to access without removing the camera from your eye.
If the person is a fanboy ignore most of what they say and seek a second opinion. I spent many years selling cameras and teaching / managing others to dos so and many push what they like not what is best for the customer. When you decide don't waste time shopping for price,as everyone has the same price within pennies and if there is a big difference something is wrong.i
Good luck.

I visited several decent camera shops and most tried to talk me into 'canikon', so glad I didn't listen to the "We got both kinds, country." Crowd.

There is no reason not to consider Sony, Olympus, Pentax. There are pros and cons to all brands. Decide what's important, including ergonomics and you'll enjoy your photography.

Jan 12 16 09:14 pm Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

The problem with choosing the D5, Adam, is that you need two of them going at the same time to get up to 24 fps...

;p

Jan 12 16 11:50 pm Link

Photographer

DespayreFX

Delta, British Columbia, Canada

Shot By Adam wrote:

I'm sure my face was fun to watch there as it went from "wtf is he talking about" to "very funny" as I read along. smile

Jan 13 16 12:00 am Link

Photographer

DespayreFX

Delta, British Columbia, Canada

Shot By Adam wrote:

You're on a roll today! smile

Jan 13 16 12:03 am Link

Photographer

Bare Essential Photos

Upland, California, US

aspergianLens wrote:

Everyone's talking about the Rebels, but from what I understand the D5200/5300 has better image quality...

Obviously, it's because "everyone" has a different "understanding" than what you have regarding this matter.

Maybe you should ask yourself why.

Jan 13 16 05:43 am Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

Cheap, good image quality, current technology, tax free, easy to resell if you want bigger fish to fry later.

http://www.adorama.com/ICAT5K.html

Equipment at this level won't hold you back from learning photography.

The next important task is to learn photography, regardless of equipment.

That's the higher objective. Learn traditional art techniques. Learn to see and capture what you are looking at. Learn composition. Learn about lighting (I don't mean lighting equipment). Learn the elements of advertising and designing ads. Learn Photoshop. Learn to be creative. Learn to convey a story or message. Learn about balance. Learn how to direct eye flow. Learn how to make photos interesting and punchy. Learn how to avoid clutter and unnecessary distractions. Learn how to use depth of field to make more interesting photos. Learn about using colors and patterns for composition. Learn about the psychology of communication arts.

Developing artistic skill sets is more important than accumulating a pile of mundane equipment.

Jan 13 16 03:43 pm Link

Photographer

SAND DIAL

Obviously, it's because "everyone" has a different "understanding" than what you have regarding this matter.

Maybe you should ask yourself why.

who or what is rebel? who is everyone?

Jan 13 16 03:50 pm Link

Photographer

SAND DIAL

PhillipM wrote:
RED.

It shoots great video.

and what will Red set me back [$]?

Jan 13 16 03:50 pm Link

Photographer

Bare Essential Photos

Upland, California, US

SAND DIAL wrote:
who or what is rebel? who is everyone?

Ask aspergianLens who is "everyone." He's the one who made that statement while commenting to me.

In regards to "who or what is rebel?" I'm not willing to take the time to help you with that one ... LOL

Jan 13 16 05:49 pm Link

Model

B00tylicious

Newark, New Jersey, US

Shot By Adam wrote:

LOL, I will take this into high consideration. Thank You

Jan 13 16 05:57 pm Link

Model

B00tylicious

Newark, New Jersey, US

Al Lock Photography wrote:

You live in Newark! You need the smallest camera you can find. One that you can hide!

lmao LIVED in Newark honey, not live presently but that is great advice for a newark resident well depending on what part of newark they live in :-/

Jan 13 16 06:06 pm Link

Model

B00tylicious

Newark, New Jersey, US

Lovely Day Media wrote:
When I was buying my first DSLR, the advice I got was to go into a store that has cameras on display. Pick them up, put them to your face, etc. When you find one that feels great, that's the one you want. In this case, "great" means you like the size of the camera and you're comfortable with the weight. All of the cameras are going to be more or less in the same weight range but there are differences in other ways, too.

It doesn't much matter if you buy Canon or Nikon (I chose Canon personally) and you may even select Olympus, Sony or one of the other non heavyweights (I call Canon and Nikon heavyweights because they are the most popular so they have the most lens choices, etc and the used market is huge ... check eBay out). Just remember that you're not just buying a camera. You're buying a system, too. Unless you have it like that, buying a camera usually means buying lenses of that brand for it and those lenses can and usually are expensive.

There are adapters so one can use Nikon glass on a Canon camera (I believe the opposite is true, too) but that's more money to spend. If you like Nikon lenses, just buy a Nikon camera. 

If you can't afford to buy the camera you like, buy another one from that same brand. This way, you can build your kit slowly and one day, when you can afford the camera you want or they've replaced it with something newer and/or better, you can buy it and not have to start building your kit all over again.

Since you didn't say you wanted an SLR, you have to ask yourself how far you want to take this. If you just want to take some pictures, a point and shoot camera might be good enough (and far cheaper). If you want to take this all to the next level and make adjustments to things, etc (not shooting in the full auto mode) pick up a DSLR.  Have fun with the journey.

Thank you so much for your lengthy advice but I am super new to this so not to sound photography illiterate....What exactly does a 'LENS' do for the camera/pictures? What difference does it make?

Jan 13 16 06:09 pm Link

Model

B00tylicious

Newark, New Jersey, US

Bob Helm Photography wrote:
If the person is a fanboy ignore most of what they say and seek a second opinion. I spent many years selling cameras and teaching / managing others to dos so and many push what they like not what is best for the customer. When you decide don't waste time shopping for price,as everyone has the same price within pennies and if there is a big difference something is wrong.
Good luck.

OMG, Thank You so much, that place is not far from me at all about 15 minute drive, I shall head there very, very soon....THANKS AGAiN :-D

Jan 13 16 06:12 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Laguna Beach, California, US

B00tylicious wrote:
Thank you so much for your lengthy advice but I am super new to this so not to sound photography illiterate....What exactly does a 'LENS' do for the camera/pictures? What difference does it make?

what do your eyes do for your brain? that's the easiest way of looking at it. a lens will take an image, and focus it on the sensor/film, so that it is sharp, depending on how far the image is from the focal plane.

you should go online and do some basic photography boning up. i'm sure there are plenty of youtube tutorials. knowing what a lens does is pretty germane to the whole process. smile unless you want to do pinhole photography. but i don't want to confuse you.

go online and get some basics down. it will help out a lot. and the nuts and bolts of photography aren't all that hard. it's just a little simple logarithmic math, and some basic physics of the properties of light. the rest id up to you. as in how to capture it (light) and make an interesting image from it.

Jan 13 16 06:15 pm Link

Model

B00tylicious

Newark, New Jersey, US

PhillipM wrote:
RED.

It shoots great video.

Thank You, I just googled it & it seems to cost $45,000. Thanks again maybe I can buy it in my next lifetime if I come back as Oprahs daughter LOL

Jan 13 16 06:16 pm Link

Model

B00tylicious

Newark, New Jersey, US

GK photo wrote:

what do your eyes do for your brain? that's the easiest way of looking at it. a lens will take an image, and focus it on the sensor/film, so that it is sharp, depending on how far the image is from the focal plane.

you should go online and do some basic photography boning up. i'm sure there are plenty of youtube tutorials. knowing what a lens does is pretty germane to the whole process. smile unless you want to do pinhole photography. but i don't want to confuse you.

go online and get some basics down. it will help out a lot. and the nuts and bolts of photography aren't all that hard. it's just a little simple logarithmic math, and some basic physics of the properties of light. the rest id up to you. as in how to capture it (light) and make an interesting image from it.

You're actually right oh silly me... and pinhole photography sounds hilarious, I'm googling it & my oh my How Strange! o_O lol

Jan 13 16 06:23 pm Link

Model

B00tylicious

Newark, New Jersey, US

Natural Means wrote:
Depends on your goals and priorities.

I rate ergonomic hugely - always have with tools (firearms, camera, etc etc), so Pentax for me.

Outdoors - Weather resistance, dust resistant camera and lens

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNG0DsX6Rno

(review from a couple of models ago but you get the point)
and you can get a 40 year lens for about 40 dollars that will take shots like this

http://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews … -Lens.html

Going to carry and walk extensively - Size (I love the little Olympus cameras with their great little lens)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xim-OQ9p1Q

(Mate of mine, better photographer than I, shoots Canon full frame and bought a little Olympus to cover a need for light and handy kit, he's looking for reasons to take the Olympus to as many shoots as possible now)

Pretty much any camera you buy will ive better results than most of us photographer now, its a matter of what fits, is easy to drive - whatever you do pick up atleast 2 cameras from all possible manufacturers.

Thank You! I am about to watch these & look into the information you sent now

Jan 13 16 06:24 pm Link

Model

B00tylicious

Newark, New Jersey, US

Paolo Diavolo wrote:
canon rebel.

DOUGLASFOTOS wrote:
Dear Ms. Bootylicious

I highly recommend Canon Rebel.

Tropic Light wrote:
I'd have to agree that the Rebel T5 is a good camera.  B&H has it for $399 with the 18-55mm kit lens.  If you get bit by the photography bug, you'll be wanting a lot more gear, but that's a good place to start.

Get the Canon Rebel T6i.

THANKS YOU GUYS :-)

Jan 13 16 06:26 pm Link

Model

B00tylicious

Newark, New Jersey, US

SAND DIAL wrote:

and what will Red set me back [$]?

$45,000
o_O

Jan 13 16 06:26 pm Link

Model

B00tylicious

Newark, New Jersey, US

SAND DIAL wrote:

A gently used Sony and maxxum [dirt cheap] lenses.
Ultimately, buy what you can afford to buy.

Thanks and I absolutely agree

Jan 13 16 06:28 pm Link