Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > note to self...

Photographer

GK photo

Laguna Beach, California, US

when you've touched nary a free weight in over a year, don't try to set personal bests in either bench press or dead lift...ON YOUR FIRST DAY BACK! especially at 54.

fuck. i woke up this morning with what could best be described as the feeling of being run over by a mack truck. even typing hurts.

idiot...

Jan 13 16 09:00 pm Link

Photographer

Justin

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

I hear ya.

Light weights, multiple reps, work better with the over-50 crowd. But it doesn't satisfy the ego.

Jan 13 16 09:01 pm Link

Photographer

normad

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

It's good advice smile
I will take it in your name smile

Jan 13 16 09:02 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

yeah, you just see those stupid discs of steel and go, "i will dominate you." not always the case. smile

i'm going back saturday, but will be adopting a more sane approach.

Jan 13 16 09:05 pm Link

Photographer

KungPaoChic

West Palm Beach, Florida, US

GK photo wrote:
yeah, you just see those stupid discs of steel and go, "i will dominate you." not always the case. smile

i'm going back saturday, but will be adopting a more sane approach.

Where's the glory in that? tongue

Jan 14 16 06:59 am Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

Friend took Me to the Gym.

The next day after a 'vigorous' leg workout I was unable to walk.

wtf?

note to self...easy does it.

Jan 14 16 07:02 am Link

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

Los Angeles, California, US

<-----Look at my Port you Portly People. lol   There be some inspiration.

Jan 14 16 07:04 am Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

DOUGLASFOTOS wrote:
<-----Look at my Port you Portly People. lol   There be some inspiration.

my inspiration for the year.  Damn my gym is so crowded.

Jan 14 16 07:54 am Link

Photographer

Lovely Day Media

Vineland, New Jersey, US

I understand your point well. I did some "working out" with some 3-4 pound weights in my living room. I didn't do it that long and was sore for days after.  I can only imagine what I'd have felt if I had done the same thing with 50-100 pounds.

No more showing off for me even if it's only for myself.

Jan 14 16 08:09 am Link

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

Sure, sure, easy ta say  .  .  .  but then ya have a shoot with someone like my friend SW  .  .  .

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/150821/15/55d79fbadf995.jpg

.  .  .  and ya kain't even suck in yer gut enough ta be shootin' with her  .  .  .  wink  I think I'm jest gonna start wearin' bigger shirts  .  .  .  wink  Take it slow and easy GK, even the elite athletes doin' rehab don't start out with the BIG weights right outta da box  .  .  .

SOS

Jan 14 16 08:17 am Link

Photographer

Chris Rifkin

Tampa, Florida, US

Pain is weaknesses leaving the body

Jan 14 16 08:32 am Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

That is a lesson we constantly seem to relearn. When the pain hits we remember the last time it happened, and the time before that

Jan 14 16 09:45 am Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

I had a shoulder surgery last July, and have only just now been able to start working out again within the past couple months. I lost almost 10 pounds of lean tissue, in just a few months of only being able to walk or use low-impact cardio equipment for exercise. When you're 5 feet tall and lose that amount of muscle, your body doesn't really feel like it belongs to you anymore.

The first chest workout I did post-operation was about a month ago. The next morning, my muscles were actually sore to the touch. It hurt to put on a shirt. I wasn't used to that level of muscle soreness after so long out of the gym, so I had to adapt to living with it all over again. Day in and day out.

It's also crazy, because I can still pick up 45 pound weight plates with my left arm, but the right arm (the side I had the surgery on) I can only carry about 10-15 pounds or the joint shakes and I get muscle spasms in the anterior deltoid, right underneath where one of the incisions was done.

I just got hired for a full time at a local gym, but the people I'll be working with are very new to exercise and just need basic demos and written programs. I'm grateful for that, because it will be a year from now (maybe two) before I'm actually strong and in *good* shape again - or at least the sort of shape I was in before the sports injury started to get in my way. There will be a pretty serious limit to the intensity of (upper body) exercise I'll be able to do, probably for another 6-9 months.

I did legs yesterday, and even though I've been able to train legs some since the surgery, I lost a huge amount of muscle in my legs too (everywhere really) - so just walking up and down stairs today feels like I'm getting punched in the ass with a pair of rusty scissors.

Jan 14 16 09:55 am Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

No pain, no gain tongue

If your legs cramp up at night, try a few bars of soap between your sheets.

Jan 14 16 10:08 am Link

Photographer

GK photo

Koryn wrote:
I had a shoulder surgery last July, and have only just now been able to start working out again within the past couple months. I lost almost 10 pounds of lean tissue, in just a few months of only being able to walk or use low-impact cardio equipment for exercise. When you're 5 feet tall and lose that amount of muscle, your body doesn't really feel like it belongs to you anymore.

The first chest workout I did post-operation was about a month ago. The next morning, my muscles were actually sore to the touch. It hurt to put on a shirt. I wasn't used to that level of muscle soreness after so long out of the gym, so I had to adapt to living with it all over again. Day in and day out.

It's also crazy, because I can still pick up 45 pound weight plates with my left arm, but the right arm (the side I had the surgery on) I can only carry about 10-15 pounds or the joint shakes and I get muscle spasms in the anterior deltoid, right underneath where one of the incisions was done.

I just got hired for a full time at a local gym, but the people I'll be working with are very new to exercise and just need basic demos and written programs. I'm grateful for that, because it will be a year from now (maybe two) before I'm actually strong and in *good* shape again - or at least the sort of shape I was in before the sports injury started to get in my way. There will be a pretty serious limit to the intensity of (upper body) exercise I'll be able to do, probably for another 6-9 months.

I did legs yesterday, and even though I've been able to train legs some since the surgery, I lost a huge amount of muscle in my legs too (everywhere really) - so just walking up and down stairs today feels like I'm getting punched in the ass with a pair of rusty scissors.

take it very slow with the shoulder rehab. you can seriously fuck it up, long term, if you overdo it. but you know that. smile

i mainly just do the big three...squats, bench press and dead lifts. and some power cleans/rows mixed in occasionally. no vanity lifting for me (curls, skullcrushers, etc). they are really all i need. i just have to ease back into it. everything feels better today. the good sore. smile

i'm going to wait until saturday to "hit 'em" again. this time, i'll be a little more realistic in my goals. smile

Jan 14 16 11:20 am Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

GK photo wrote:

take it very slow with the shoulder rehab. you can seriously fuck it up, long term, if you overdo it. but you know that. smile

i mainly just do the big three...squats, bench press and dead lifts. and some power cleans/rows mixed in occasionally. no vanity lifting for me (curls, skullcrushers, etc). they are really all i need. i just have to ease back into it. everything feels better today. the good sore. smile

i'm going to wait until saturday to "hit 'em" again. this time, i'll be a little more realistic in my goals. smile

I was in an immobilizer for a month, then had three months of rehab with a therapist. The surgeon gave me clearance to begin "rebuilding lost muscle" in November and I was bad off. As in, I couldn't move 5 pounds with my right arm. When I first got out of the immobilizer, my muscles were so atrophied, I couldn't even lift the weight of my own arm.

I was given permission to go back to regular workouts and go back to work training other people "after the holidays." I followed all orders and have done it all by the book. I had excessive scarring in the joint, so getting full mobility back has been a bitch.

I don't really think anyone needs to train biceps, or abs (with crunches and machines), unless you just want to. Those muscles are trained indirectly through doing compound lifts with good form. All workouts should, ideally, serve to train your core. I do think every person can benefit from doing Pilates. It makes you mindful of your low back and teaches control of the lower abs and glutes. It's no surprise to me that the women I've trained who have solid backgrounds in Pilates have AMAZING deadlifts. They get beautiful power in their deadlifts and can bulk up their booties really fast, while others struggle to get shapely backsides. The Pilates is what does it, because you know how to fire the big lifts from the glutes and core.

It feels so damned good to be back in the gym again, and given that I'm about to start working in one again, it feels like "going back home" after wandering alone in the desert for a couple years. But, I think the best part is being able to smash in the calories and carbs again. As we speak, I'm working my way through about 2 pounds of food...for the third time today. Nomnomnom...

Jan 14 16 12:34 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

I'm going to do some logging on my land in the spring.  This will keep me fit.   smile

Jan 14 16 12:40 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Koryn wrote:
It feels so damned good to be back in the gym again, and given that I'm about to start working in one again, it feels like "going back home" after wandering alone in the desert for a couple years. But, I think the best part is being able to smash in the calories and carbs again. As we speak, I'm working my way through about 2 pounds of food...for the third time today. Nomnomnom...

haha...good for you. enjoy the carbo loading. smile

and i agree about the vanity exercises (abs, curls, triceps, etc). most people have six pack abs. they're just hiding under a layer of pizza dough and ice cream. smile

i'll have to look into the pilates stuff. if it would help increase the squat/dead lift capabilities, i'm all for it. thanks for the tip.

Jerry Nemeth wrote:
I'm going to do some logging on my land in the spring.  This will keep me fit.   smile

you mean like this stuff? you and jj watt? tongue

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/ff/7c/27/ff7c27b23ec916982da8ccc1a00ef4e0.gif

Jan 14 16 01:36 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

GK photo wrote:

haha...good for you. enjoy the carbo loading. smile

and i agree about the vanity exercises (abs, curls, triceps, etc). most people have six pack abs. they're just hiding under a layer of pizza dough and ice cream. smile

i'll have to look into the pilates stuff. if it would help increase the squat/dead lift capabilities, i'm all for it. thanks for the tip.

you mean like this stuff? you and jj watt? tongue

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/ff/7c/27/ff7c27b23ec916982da8ccc1a00ef4e0.gif

That's log rolling.  I'm going to cut down big trees.

Jan 14 16 02:13 pm Link

Photographer

R Bruce Duncan

Santa Barbara, California, US

Sometimes A Great Notion

Jan 14 16 02:35 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Jerry Nemeth wrote:

That's log rolling.  I'm going to cut down big trees.

you going to do it paul bunyan style, or cheat with a chainsaw? tongue good for you. sounds like good exercise.

Jan 14 16 02:45 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

GK photo wrote:
you going to do it paul bunyan style, or cheat with a chainsaw? tongue good for you. sounds like good exercise.

Using a chainsaw is not cheating.  It is still hard work!  Try it sometime.   big_smile

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h88/azshoot/cutupfallentree_1338_zps42ecbaf8.jpg

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h88/azshoot/Van%20in%20clearingK42A0082_zpspfwxerqz.jpg

The clearing where the van is parked was once full of trees.

Jan 14 16 02:50 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Jerry Nemeth wrote:
Using a chainsaw is not cheating.  It is still hard work!  Try it sometime.   big_smile

oh, i use one all the time, but it's for cutting down 6x12 posts, not trees. there are no trees left in so cal to chop down. smile not legally, anyway.

Jan 14 16 02:54 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

GK photo wrote:

oh, i use one all the time, but it's for cutting down 6x12 posts, not trees. there are no trees left in so cal to chop down. smile not legally, anyway.

That is easy!

Jan 14 16 02:56 pm Link

Photographer

Lovely Day Media

Vineland, New Jersey, US

In case it matters ... I'm one who subscribes to the idea that fat is better than muscle. I mean ... when was the last time you heard of someone pulling fat?

I don't subscribe 100% anymore, but it still has some value in my life.

smile

Jan 15 16 12:31 pm Link