Forums > Critique > New Studio Shot

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

Hi everyone,
So I rarely do anything indoors, but now that it's getting really cold outside in the NJ/NYC area clients, are coming to me asking for studio shoots.  As a result, I'm throwing myself at studio photography.  Anyway, this client wanted to do this specific shot where she looks naked but isn't, in front of a white background.  It's for a pageant thing she does. 

Below is the shot she selected for me to retouch from our shoot yesterday.  I cropped it differently to give her options.  Which version do you like and what do you think of the image overall?  Thanks in advance.

NUMBER 1 (original Crop)
https://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y508/YajhilAlvarez/IMG_0256-Edit%20Internet_zpscyzohg81.png

NUMBER 2 (bottom cropped out)
https://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y508/YajhilAlvarez/IMG_0256-EditBottomCrop%20Internet_zpsjjsgychk.png

NUMBER 3 (even crop all around)
https://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y508/YajhilAlvarez/IMG_0256-EditEvenCrop%20Internet_zpstsg87xf2.png

Jan 14 16 08:04 pm Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Los Angeles, California, US

Option 2. Good shot!

Jan 14 16 10:09 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

I agree that of the three, number 2 is the best choice.
However, the lighting style on the face/upperbody doesn't really work well with the choice of a completely white background.

Jan 14 16 11:08 pm Link

Photographer

TerrysPhotocountry

Rochester, New York, US

As much as I like the image. I don't like the images cropped off to the top of the head.

Jan 15 16 12:43 am Link

Photographer

Mary Durante Youtt

Barnegat, New Jersey, US

#2  The bright white background is a tad too stark.  I think if  her head wasn't cropped off the top it would have been better also.  But she is lit well and is beautiful.

Jan 15 16 04:30 am Link

Photographer

Lee_Photography

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Hey Yajhil, I am pleased to tell you the second photo is excellent.
It is all about the subject, you have dark hair against a light background so great contrast.
Model is dynamic, her shoulders are on an angle to camera, plus you have models right shoulder raised to add to the interest.
Lighting looks great, nice 3D quality, reminded me of Rembrandt lighting with the triangle under models left eye.
Why I selected photo two as the best, with the wider crop [at shoulders] you have given her head a better base on which to rest, so it does not look top heavy.

I wish you well

Jan 15 16 05:40 am Link

Photographer

DespayreFX

Delta, British Columbia, Canada

I like #2 the best.

One small thing, I always find that more than 1 catchlight in the eyes is a distraction, 3 just looks odd to me, I would just paint out the other 2.

Jan 15 16 09:35 am Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

Thanks everyone!
Even though I don't agree with some of the comments made, I still appreciate the time all of you took to give me feedback.  At first, I was going to go into why I agree or disagree with certain things but then I realized that i asked for the critique so I just need to keep my mouth shut lol.  Thanks again.

Jan 20 16 09:29 pm Link