Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Watch Netflex in TV, how?

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

I finally want to watch download movies on TV, what do I need to buy?

I have a 65" HD rear projection TV and a more than 10 years DVD player.  What do I need to upgrade? 

I am happy with my current TV picture quality, don' feel like trashing it.  That thing is heavy and big.

Jan 24 16 09:12 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

San Francisco, California, US

I have a Roku
Got rid of cable years ago, but not missing anything.
I pay for Netflix and Hulu and then the rest of the stuff is free.
I also found a way to get HBO and Starz for free.
If theres an even newer or misc movie that i feel like paying $5 to watch I buy it on Amazon's channel.
I also have Pandora on there, and thats how I play music during photoshoots.

Jan 24 16 09:31 pm Link

Photographer

Peter Claver

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

There are any number of devices you can use to view Netflix.

Roku, chromecast and Apple TV are popular choices. Most modern game systems will allow you to view Netflix too.

It really depends on what you like. I personally prefer the Apple TV simply because it has other features we use a lot.

Edit: most modern devices will connect through hdmi so if your tv doesn't support hdmi you will need some sort of adapter or conversion box.

Jan 24 16 09:36 pm Link

Photographer

Motordrive Photography

Lodi, California, US

I bought a nice blu-ray player at Costco to stream Netflix to,
it works very well.

Jan 24 16 09:42 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Laguna Beach, California, US

chromecast. easiest way. if your tube has an hdmi slot, that is. or buy any of the myriad new fangled bluray players that can grab a netflix signal. the chromecast is easy, because it's only a dongle. you can take it with you, if so desired.

Jan 24 16 09:59 pm Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

I am not sure it makes any difference.  I live in a small town and we have a small Mom and Pap cable company that provides us Phone, Cable and Internet.  We don't have other choices, bit I don't mind.  I have no problem to support the little company.  I just want to keep it simple. 

It looks like if buying a new Blue Ray DVD does the trick, then I will get one and be done.  I just watch news and a few movies.  I have no idea what is hot on TV, I don't watch sport.  Watch other to play sport is not my things.  I am a caveman when it comes to TV entertainment.  smile

Jan 24 16 10:17 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Connor Photography wrote:
I am not sure it makes any difference.  I live in a small town and we have a small Mom and Pap cable company that provides us Phone, Cable and Internet.  We don't have other choices, bit I don't mind.  I have no problem to support the little company.  I just want to keep it simple. 

It looks like if buying a new Blue Ray DVD does the trick, then I will get one and be done.  I just watch news and a few movies.  I have no idea what is hot on TV, I don't watch sport.  Watch other to play sport is not my things.  I am a caveman when it comes to TV entertainment.  smile

your post header stated netflix. if that's how you'll be getting your content, then a bluray player, or chromecast (or many other devices) will do the trick. the chromecast is just a dongle you plug into an available hdmi slot. you operate it from your phone, or a computer/tablet. any of these will require a good internet connection. maybe a roku would be a good alternative, if you aren't going to be watching bluray movies.

once you see how nice a bluray looks on a modern hi-def tube, you'll be happy. every time i see people playing dvds on such a set (especially on bluray players), i shake my head. tits on a bull, etc. tongue and if you have any kind of decent sound system, you're going to want to take advantage of bluray's uncompressed audio reproduction. with even a decent modern receiver, the difference between the audio of a bluray, versus the shit sound of dvds, is a quantum leap.

Jan 24 16 10:26 pm Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

OK, I have looked into chromecast.  It seems simple enough.  I need to check out if I have a HDMI port in my old HDTV.  Is there an adapter or converter available on the market?   

Actually I don't have Netflix, but that is the only name I know, so I just use the name to get my point across.  But I know my wife watches movies on her computer from some sources she has.

Jan 24 16 10:44 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Bots

Kingston, Ontario, Canada

A big screen TV  can easily be used as a computer monitor if HDMI is on both devices. Just plugs in.

Both video cards and computer motherboards are available with that connector as a built in.

Older sets with component RGB inputs can be matched with an appropriate PC video card

see
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/32775 … nent-ypbpr

Jan 24 16 11:34 pm Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

First, make sure your current Internet and wifi system will support streaming Netflix both in terms of speed and total monthly usage. 

I use a Roku.  In addition to Netflix it has Pandora.  With the free Roku app I can use my phone as a remote, wirelessly stream photos and music from my phone to the Roku/tv. I can also use my phone as a remote for YouTube videos more conveniently than on the Roku YouTube channel itself.  I later bought a new DVD player which will also pick up streaming Netflix but it's more awkward than my Roku.  I do find the ease and easy transportability of the chromecast to have it's appeal as well.

Jan 25 16 05:49 am Link

Photographer

GK photo

OK, I have looked into chromecast.  It seems simple enough.  I need to check out if I have a HDMI port in my old HDTV.  Is there an adapter or converter available on the market?   

Actually I don't have Netflix, but that is the only name I know, so I just use the name to get my point across.  But I know my wife watches movies on her computer from some sources she has.

oh, if your tube doesn't have hdmi, then you're going to be limited.

Jan 25 16 06:08 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Quite literally, I have every one of the solutions mentioned above in my motorhome except for Apple TV.  I also have internet connected PC's attached to both of the TV's in the motorhome.  I use Android phones.

Ultimately, I ended up buying a ROKU smart TV for my bedroom and use an Internet enabled Blu-Ray player in the salon.  I used to enjoy my ChromeCast a lot because it interfaces, seamlessly with my android phone.  It made streaming from the phone a little bit easier than from the ROKU app.

In my situation, most of that changed when T-Mobile came up with "BingeOn."  That allows me to stream unlimited Netflix to the TV from my cellphone.  I, quite literally, can watch as much as I want.  The caveat is that T-Mobile doesn't support smart TV's, appliances or game consoles on their program.  They had issues determining bandwidth for people that had bandwidth limits.  So, it actually works fine, but occassionally I end up chewing up my tethered bandwidth, which is separate than the unlimited data on my phone itself.  That is why I have PC's connected to both TV's.  I need to use a browser to get unlimited streaming.

Having said all that, once set up, I found all the solutions to be, more or less the same.  They use similar apps, have similar features and work, more or less, the same.  So, my advice, pick what you like.

I do have a suggestion, however.  If your TV is close enough to your router, pick a solution that has a hard wired connection rather than using WiFi.  I've found the hard wired solutions to be a bit more reliable.  Occasionally with the WiFi connection, the device will reduce image quality slightly if the connection speed slows due to the WiFi connection.

Most Blue Ray players will allow you to either connect a hard wired cable or use WiFi to connect.

Most HDTV's do have an HDMI connector, but if you do not, that is going to limit your options.

Jan 25 16 06:11 am Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

Looks like it is time to upgrade my TV to the latest and the greatest...... but what I am going to do with my old HDTV? 

My understanding that I can buy and use a blue ray DVD player for streaming purpose.  If this the case, I will hard wire it from my router.  My WiFi is not the best in the house despite I have installed a repeater, not much improvement to speak off.

Jan 25 16 07:58 am Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

American Glamour wrote:
Most HDTV's do have an HDMI connector, but if you do not, that is going to limit your options.

I am going to pull out my TV tonite and check.  I bought it about 10 years ago, not sure if HDMI existed in those days.   smile

Oh god, I felt old.

Jan 25 16 08:03 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Before you throw away your old TV, look at Roku.  There are a few different models, and the Roku1 includes RCA output that should work with your current TV.  Just note that the output won't be HD.

Jan 25 16 08:22 am Link

Photographer

KungPaoChic

West Palm Beach, Florida, US

I watch Netflix on my ancient cathode ray tv with a Wii gaming device.

I refuse to pay for cable tv -- never have and probably never will.

Jan 25 16 09:50 am Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

4K BluRay players will be available in a few months. 

If your TV can accept HDMI, and you have a laptop that outputs HDMI, then all you need is a cable.  Sure, it's a little clunky, but it's something you already have.  Netflix and Hulu work just fine on computer.

But a Chromecast, Roku or AppleTV is a more elegant solution.

Jan 25 16 10:04 am Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

Good Egg Productions wrote:
4K BluRay players will be available in a few months. 

If your TV can accept HDMI, and you have a laptop that outputs HDMI, then all you need is a cable.  Sure, it's a little clunky, but it's something you already have.  Netflix and Hulu work just fine on computer.

But a Chromecast, Roku or AppleTV is a more elegant solution.

It is unlikely that i will get a 4K Bluray player.  I can get a standard bluray for less than $60.  i can't justify the additional expense, since I haven't seen it, I don't miss it. 

I do appreciate the heads up.  smile

Jan 25 16 12:17 pm Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Paolo Diavolo wrote:
I have a Roku
Got rid of cable years ago, but not missing anything.
I pay for Netflix and Hulu and then the rest of the stuff is free.
I also found a way to get HBO and Starz for free.

So basically you are confessing to committing a crime in a public forum? Ooooookay.

Jan 25 16 12:26 pm Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

I wouldn't buy a new TV just to get a HDMI input compatible with ROKU, etc.   Getting a DVD or other component which can get netflix and has the old AV (RCA) plugs would be much cheaper.  Alternatively a cheap converter with AV outputs [i[may[i] work.  As mentioned previously the version 1 Roku may be an option.  I'd certainly look into such options before buying a new TV for that reason alone.

Jan 25 16 12:40 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

KungPaoChic wrote:
I watch Netflix on my ancient cathode ray tv with a Wii gaming device.

I refuse to pay for cable tv -- never have and probably never will.

I got rid of those ancient TVs years ago.   big_smile

Jan 25 16 12:44 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

I am going to pull out my TV tonite and check.  I bought it about 10 years ago, not sure if HDMI existed in those days.   smile

Oh god, I felt old.

it would at least have component video, or s-video inputs, with some rca audio inputs. not ideal, in the hd world, but i'm sure those rokus have one of those outputs on them. and i think some bluray players do as well. don't don't quote me on that.

Jan 25 16 05:40 pm Link

Photographer

Normad2

Abbitt Photography wrote:
I wouldn't buy a new TV just to get a HDMI input compatible with ROKU, etc.   Getting a DVD or other component which can get netflix and has the old AV (RCA) plugs would be much cheaper.  Alternatively a cheap converter with AV outputs [i[may[i] work.  As mentioned previously the version 1 Roku may be an option.  I'd certainly look into such options before buying a new TV for that reason alone.

There is no way I would use one of those.

If you ever had tried using one of those instead of your cell phone to control your tv
you must know how much the interfaces suck.

If I cannot control the TV with my cell phone I don't care for it.

I watch Netflix and Youtube on a chromecast.

Don't have cable. Won't have cable.

But there is no way I am gonna be typing with a remote control, I'd rather not watch anything.

(and at 35$ I can definitively afford the chromecast! which is cheaper _and_ better for what _I_ want. YMMV)

Jan 25 16 05:43 pm Link

Photographer

rmcapturing

I have an older Roku player that I've had for several years and it has been pretty handy. I've used it with several TV's during its life and it's still being used in the bedroom on a 720P dumb TV. It's probably the easier to use. I have  Chromecast also and I only used it a couple of times. I preferred the Roku player in the end.

Jan 25 16 06:15 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

for 35 bucks, chromecast is pretty fucking awesome, if streaming is your thing.

Jan 25 16 07:03 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Roku for the win. I have one on each of my TV's and they work great. I also ditched cable years ago. Just couldn't justify paying $80/mo and the only thing I ever watched on network TV was football... and 9 times out of 10, I watched that at the pub down the street anyways. For the times I can't get out, I have an HD antenna that picks up local channels like a champ.

Now the only thing that's left to be desired: A device that displays programming selections from all of my subscriptions on a single screen: Netflix, Hulu, HBO Now, etc.. rather than having to bounce back and forth between services.

Jan 26 16 08:02 am Link

Photographer

Peter Claver

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Phoenix Glamour wrote:
Roku for the win. I have one on each of my TV's and they work great. I also ditched cable years ago. Just couldn't justify paying $80/mo and the only thing I ever watched on network TV was football... and 9 times out of 10, I watched that at the pub down the street anyways. For the times I can't get out, I have an HD antenna that picks up local channels like a champ.

Now the only thing that's left to be desired: A device that displays programming selections from all of my subscriptions on a single screen: Netflix, Hulu, HBO Now, etc.. rather than having to bounce back and forth between services.

Yeah.. not having to pay for Cable is amazing. It's been so long since I had a cable subscription that I don't even know how much it would cost.  My wife and I have a bunch of TV shows that we watch week to week by subscribing to the season in iTunes.  We download the episodes the morning after they air and watch them whenever we feel like with no commercials.  It's amazing.

Add to that Netflix and a new Canada-only service called Shomi and the odd online movie rental and there's pretty much nothing that we want to watch that we can't watch when we want.

So I just checked. For the channels we want it would be around $70 a month.  There's no way we spend even close that much on our purchased TV shows, streaming services and movie rentals.  And even if we did, not having the commercials and being able to watch when and where we want would be worth the cost.

Jan 26 16 08:18 am Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

OK, I checked my old HDTV, it does not have HDMI port (not a surprise), so the RCA, s-video, and DVI ports.  Butr in my cable box, it has a HDMI port.   I wonder if I can use it with Roku or Chromecast. 

If the HDMI port in my cable box can't take Chromecast, not sure if I can use one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Lingstar-3-RCA-Co … dmi+to+rca

http://www.amazon.com/Cyelee-1080P-Comp … &psc=1

Alternatively, we can upgrade our DVD player to a blueray DVD player with a HDMI port for Chromecast.  It is hard to believe that blueray DVD player is about $50.  Buying a heavy gauge speaker wire is more expensive than this, it is amazing with today's manufacturing production technology.   

Onto another thought:
I may consider ditching the cable service and get an outdoor HD antenna for watching network national new broadcast.   I have an old TV antenna with rotor installed in the attic, it will be easy to convert to HD antenna in a couple hours. 

But without the cable box, how do I record the network news?

Jan 26 16 09:03 am Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

My Roku's are a few years old and both have RCA output options. Not sure if the newer ones do, but my guess is they do.

Jan 26 16 09:10 am Link

Photographer

Peter Claver

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

OK, I checked my old HDTV, it does not have HDMI port (not a surprise), so the RCA, s-video, and DVI ports.  Butr in my cable box, it has a HDMI port.   I wonder if I can use it with Roku or Chromecast. 

If the HDMI port in my cable box can't take Chromecast, not sure if I can use one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Lingstar-3-RCA-Co … dmi+to+rca

Almost certainly not this.  This does no digital to analog conversion.

http://www.amazon.com/Cyelee-1080P-Comp … &psc=1

Definitely not this.  This goes the other way (from analog to digital).

Alternatively, we can upgrade our DVD player to a blueray DVD player with a HDMI port for Chromecast.  It is hard to believe that blueray DVD player is about $50.  Buying a heavy gauge speaker wire is more expensive than this, it is amazing with today's manufacturing production technology.

It's been a while since I've purchased a blu-ray player but you'd definitely want to make sure that any HDMI port on the player is meant for *input* and passes through to the other outputs.  Not sure if such a thing exists.  But read specs carefully before buying.

Another thing to consider when taking HDMI output from one device and turning it into non-HDMI is HDCP -- (basically copy protection). Many devices won't handle the HDCP information properly and you will get an error on your screen.  There are ways to strip out the HDCP info from an HDMI signal but the legality is (stupidly and sadly) questionable.  A google search will find you what you need.

Jan 26 16 09:12 am Link

Photographer

Peter Claver

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Phoenix Glamour wrote:
My Roku's are a few years old and both have RCA output options. Not sure if the newer ones do, but my guess is they do.

The Roku 1 has RCA outputs (non HD, of course).  The other Rokus (2, 3, 4 and stick) do not.  All are available currently:

https://www.roku.com/products/compare

Sadly the Roku 1 doesn't have support for the latest Netflix features, nor does it have a wired ethernet connection.  But by all accounts is a good device (probably the same or similar to the one you have).

Jan 26 16 09:18 am Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Peter Claver wrote:
The Roku 1 has RCA outputs (non HD, of course).  The other Rokus (2, 3, 4 and stick) do not.  All are available currently:

Sadly the Roku 1 doesn't have support for the latest Netflix features, nor does it have a wired ethernet connection.  But by all accounts is a good device (probably the same or similar to the one you have).

What are the latest Netflix features? Am I missing out on anything?

Jan 26 16 09:23 am Link

Photographer

Peter Claver

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Phoenix Glamour wrote:

What are the latest Netflix features? Am I missing out on anything?

The big one is profiles.  In a single person household it's not a big deal but my wife and I can each watch whatever shows we want under our own profiles.  It keeps track of what's watched and what our preferences are separately for each of us.

Jan 26 16 09:25 am Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

Peter Claver wrote:

Roku 1 has no HD capacity, will this give me less picture quality compared to what I have now from my cable box, or the same?

Roko 1 does not have an Ethernet port, how does it pick the internet signal, via Wifi   ???
https://image.roku.com/ww/images/pages/ … -ports.jpg

Jan 26 16 09:27 am Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Peter Claver wrote:
The big one is profiles.  In a single person household it's not a big deal but my wife and I can each watch whatever shows we want under our own profiles.  It keeps track of what's watched and what our preferences are separately for each of us.

As I said earlier, the only feature I really want is to be able to have a home screen that displays favorites from all of my subscriptions on a single screen. A search that searches through all active subscriptions would be nice too.. I often find myself neglecting (or forgetting about) subscriptions as it stands.

Jan 26 16 09:29 am Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Roku 1 has no HD capacity, will this give me less picture quality compared to what I have now from my cable box, or the same?

Roko 1 does not have an Ethernet port, how does it pick the internet signal, via Wifi   ???
https://image.roku.com/ww/images/pages/ … -ports.jpg

Wifi..

Jan 26 16 09:30 am Link

Photographer

Normad2

Hey, this might be the perfect excuse to get a new tv ;P

Jan 26 16 09:31 am Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

normad-moth wrote:
Hey, this might be the perfect excuse to get a new tv ;P

It flashed in my head a few minutes ago.  A 4K TV 50 to 60" is about $1000 to $1200, if I am not mistaken.   

Wait, do I need a 4K TV??? what programmings on the TV or streaming supports the 4K TV?  smile

Jan 26 16 09:44 am Link

Photographer

Peter Claver

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

It flashed in my head a few minutes ago.  A 4K TV 50 to 60" is about $1000 to $1200, if I am not mistaken.   

Wait, do I need a 4K TV??? what programmings on the TV or streaming supports the 4K TV?  smile

4K *seems* to be the future.. but content is extremely thin on the ground.  There may be alot of content for purchase but I'll wager most of it has been up-rezed from HD or 2K.  I can't think of any movie off hand from the last couple of years that has been shot and had post production entirely in 4K.  I'm sure there are the odd ones.. but I'd be very surprised if there were many.

That said.. if you're going to buy a new TV anyways.. there's something to be said for buying a feature you may use in the not too distant future. Depends on how much you can handle whatever the change in price is.

Jan 26 16 10:13 am Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

Thanks Peter.

As always, I never chase the best and coolest when comes to technology in toys and entertainment.  I am not cheap but I use my money wisely.  So if 4K is not there yet, I don't want to buy one.  I would buy one that has matured in the market  place to get the best deal for the money.

Jan 26 16 10:24 am Link