Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Turn pale skin to tan quickly?

Photographer

poiter

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Are there any products that I can apply to a model's pale white skin and make it a realistic tan color in 30mins or less? And won't rob off on clothes?

Feb 04 16 02:30 pm Link

Body Painter

Lisa Berczel

New Castle, Pennsylvania, US

This can be a bit of a challenge because we're typically trying to match a skin tone - and things can go wonky umpaloompa fast. A seasoned makeup artist would use foundation and bronzers to achieve the effect of a realistic tan.

The curve ball is your need for no makeup transfer. Any makeup given the *right* circumstances will transfer.

I'm an airbrush artist - so my first plan of attack tends to be airbrush. In this instance, I'd use an alcohol based foundation series to build up the color change. Alcohol based foundations are extremely durable. HOWEVER the MUA will be airbrushing around the eyes so must have the proper experience required to do this safely.

EDIT to Add: The same approach would go for the rest of the body as well. Yes, there are Tans in a Can but in my experience they're not realistic but very glam. Again, a MUA with body makeup experience will be able to accomplish this. A bodypainter (or MUA with a large enough airbrush rig) can do a full body color in a 30 minute application. But be sure to allow time for set up, skin prep, etc.

Feb 04 16 06:13 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Raychie Loves Makeup

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

Lisa Berczel wrote:
This can be a bit of a challenge because we're typically trying to match a skin tone - and things can go wonky umpaloompa fast. A seasoned makeup artist would use foundation and bronzers to achieve the effect of a realistic tan.

This. It's one of those things where it would be easier for me to show you than to explain.... it's definitely possible to go a shade or two darker with makeup and still have it look perfectly natural for camera, stage, etc., but you have to be super-careful with it and have a firm knowledge of how different skintones naturally change with sun exposure, as well as how different products will work with the skin, camera, and other makeup.

Have you considered hiring a mua? It might be a lot easier. smile <-- (Not sarcasm; genuine concern over your project turning out well)

Feb 04 16 11:12 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Bots

Kingston, Ontario, Canada

There is always the unexpected ---

'Fake tan turned me into Princess Fiona': St Tropez mousse blunder made woman’s face as green as an ogre from Shrek
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article … Shrek.html

pic
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/02/ … 097872.jpg

Feb 05 16 06:28 am Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

I agree with the above on hiring a MUAH person.

I've played around with the airbrush and it looks like a store's plastic mannequin's skin.  So even it looks painted.  You need shading and contouring added so a MUAH would be your best bet.  I hire one for any shoot now as it really does help.

The rub-ons often go too orange, imho.  Too much and palms become orange and normal untanned areas go orange.  Takes a lot of technique to use them right, and finding one that looks real too.  Blonds and brunettes have a different skin tint and the wrong rub-on can look awful on different skin colors.

Most film people rely on Ben Nye makeup with some skin texture sponges and a setting powder.  It will stay on for a bit even if rubbed.  Nye was one of the movie leaders in getting UV brighteners out of the stuff so it wouldn't create a blue-color skin tint in the film era.  When I shot film (Pre-Photoshop too.), we had to cover ALL showing skin with the stuff so it took a while.

Some "Colorists" in film video do it electronically now, but then you have the software to contend with and learning how to use it.  Some generic Photoshop types of make-up software will do shades as well.  Reallusion's FaceFilter 3 comes to mind for just photos where you can do a lot of post-MU work and coloring.

Good luck!

Feb 08 16 07:49 am Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

Michael Bots wrote:
There is always the unexpected ---

'Fake tan turned me into Princess Fiona': St Tropez mousse blunder made woman’s face as green as an ogre from Shrek
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article … Shrek.html

pic
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/02/ … 097872.jpg

lol

Feb 08 16 08:10 am Link

Makeup Artist

Danielle Blazer

Los Angeles, California, US

Hire a makeup artist.

The best advice I can give if you refuse to hire a professional is to buy Sally Hansen Airbrush Legs (in the tube, NOT the can as the stuff in the can is very shimmery) at your local drugstore. Mix with Jergen's BB body lotion (also at drugstore). Mix it in proportions to get the desired tint. Put a lot of translucent (no color at all) LOOSE powder (do not use pressed) on a large powder brush and dust over the top to set it. If you need the skin to look moist, bring it back to life with a light setting spray. Good luck!

Feb 08 16 05:43 pm Link