Forums > General Industry > do I want this paying gig?

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

San Francisco, California, US

Just curious about your advice / thoughts / opinions.

Dear MM forum,
  Do I want this gig?

I contact a model who is looking to hire (and pay) a photographer. The content is going to be sold online. At this point I don't care what happens to the images or where we shoot or who is present on set because I'm getting paid.

my only concern is show up with the proper equipment, shoot quality images, deliver the promised content and collect payment.

model has been great in talking to so far, but now we're working out the finer details and I find out that my payment will come from the company and it may take 4-6 months.

makes me think I may never see payment?
is that worth it?

she also offered to pay me for a smaller project (no rate discussed yet) and offered to trade if I need it (which I don't) at the time we're shooting the other content.

which I appreciate, but that doesn't make me feel better about shooting the original project and really just makes more work for me.

now, I'm not sure if I want to haul my gear out on location and shoot one project that I might see some pay for in half a year, then shoot a second project for a little cash and have to deliver all those images from both.

we're talking about just a few hundred bucks not thousands. really I just wanted some quick cash for the weekend, now the cash isn't quick and the workload is growing.

the people are cool, and I'm not doing anything else that day, but i dont feel any other motivation to want to do this gig for little or no pay right now and potentially at my expense.

do you think that way too?
what would you do?

Feb 08 16 09:43 am Link

Photographer

Managing Light

Salem, Virginia, US

It doesn't sound like it fits your needs, plus there is considerable risk that you won't be paid at all.

It calls for a diplomatic "no, but thanks for considering me."

Feb 08 16 10:30 am Link

Photographer

tcphoto

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I would pass on the project myself, it sounds like the Company is not adequately funded or it's a shady deal. It would only be asking for more problems down the road. I'd politely decline and suggest that they check back with you when they have sufficient cashflow. Otherwise, you are funding their project and profiting very little. A few hundred dollars is not worth the effort.

Feb 08 16 10:31 am Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

Pay Me Now!!!!!

Or, respond that you will release the images upon payment and see what she says.

Feb 08 16 10:34 am Link

Photographer

Mary Durante Youtt

Barnegat, New Jersey, US

"I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today". 
I guess I would check out the company's credentials.  But it seems a tad shady for me.

Feb 08 16 10:36 am Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

we all seem to be on the same page.

just to make it clear;
first the model made it seem like she was paying.
then she said I'll get paid when the photoset becomes accepted.
(no its not SG)

Feb 08 16 10:47 am Link

Photographer

Loki Studio

Royal Oak, Michigan, US

I would never deliver images for a shoot for a brand new client without payment in full.  I will not even schedule a shoot for a new client without a personal referral without a 50% deposit.  This is not a paid gig-this is roulette.

Feb 08 16 10:55 am Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

Managing Light wrote:
It calls for a diplomatic "no, but thanks for considering me."

I prefer an undiplomatic:
" what? SHIT!  awww hell nah!"

Feb 08 16 10:57 am Link

Photographer

DespayreFX

Delta, British Columbia, Canada

Unless this shoot has the possibility to end up in your portfolio, I don't see what your motivation would be for this. If you want to take a gamble, I suppose, split the risk with the model, take 50% now, that she'll have to come up with, and patiently wait for the rest...but in my experience, things that happened 6 months ago (by the time they get around to paying you), are way less important than that "new thing" that they are suddenly dealing with... not always, but often. Otherwise, I'd pass.

Feb 08 16 11:00 am Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Loki Studio wrote:
I would never deliver images for a shoot for a brand new client without payment in full.  I will not even schedule a shoot for a new client without a personal referral without a 50% deposit.  This is not a paid gig-this is roulette.

Exactly 100%.

Everyone is asking the OP to be a professional but nobody, themselves, is acting like one. What kind of company takes 4-6 months to pay a vendor? A bankrupt or unprofessional one, that's who.

OP, you'd have to be a fool to take this gig and the fact that you posted this thread to begin with says that you already knew the answer as you were writing your original post.

Feb 08 16 11:02 am Link

Photographer

Barry Kidd Photography

Red Lion, Pennsylvania, US

Shot By Adam wrote:
Exactly 100%.

Everyone is asking the OP to be a professional but nobody, themselves, is acting like one. What kind of company takes 4-6 months to pay a vendor? A bankrupt or unprofessional one, that's who.

OP, you'd have to be a fool to take this gig and the fact that you posted this thread to begin with says that you already knew the answer as you were writing your original post.

Many of my clients are sent an invoice and pay at the end of the month when accounts payable does their thing. If for example I do the work at the end of the month I won't see the check till the end of the following month.  If I do the work in the middle of the month I'll get the check in just a few days.

Bare in mind that these are all return clients and they always pay.  They just pay at the end of the month and I'm OK with that.

I use to license for print a great deal. Not so much these days since most of the magazines I worked for have long since gone the way of the dinosour but that's another story.  Anyway, all of the rags I'd license to, except one, use to pay when they invoice was recieved.  Disney however use to pay when the rag was printed but before it shipped.  Sometimes this would be 2 or 3 months or even more but they were a reputable company and sooner or later they always paid their bill.

This deal with the OP however ----- Just just doesn't sound like a good deal to me.

My two cents.

Feb 08 16 11:22 am Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

thanks everyone for your input so far.

Shot By Adam wrote:

ya I pretty much had my mind made up from the beginning. it's not like I'm a newbie.

it's always nice to have something to discuss on these forums tho, so I started a thread.

Feb 08 16 11:22 am Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Paolo Diavolo wrote:

It sounds to me more like you will get paid IF the set gets accepted. 

In other words, all the risk is being passed back to you, which  is not a proposition that I would accept.

Feb 08 16 02:40 pm Link

Photographer

Stephoto Photography

Amherst, Massachusetts, US

At 4-6 months? No thanks... 30-60 days I could understand, but 4-6 months, even by corporate terms, seems way too long to be worthwhile for me.

Although, if you were feeling particularly friendly and/or wanted to do the work, then by all means! I've learned it's best to follow instinct and go from there.

Feb 08 16 03:15 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

Rob Photosby wrote:
It sounds to me more like you will get paid IF the set gets accepted. 

In other words, all the risk is being passed back to you, which  is not a proposition that I would accept.

well put!
I just messaged the model back and told her the arrangement was crappy. sad

she did apologize for it seemingly being misleading. I know that wasn't her intentions.

Feb 08 16 03:23 pm Link

Photographer

Flex Photography

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

Shadow Dancer wrote:
Pay Me Now!!!!!

Or, respond that you will release the images upon payment and see what she says.

Yes! You should not have to assume the risk that you might not be paid.
If she wants pictures to submit, she should pay you directly. If the company pays for them at some later date,
they can give her the payment then, as reimbursement. Her risk, not yours.

Feb 08 16 03:36 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

Flex Photography wrote:

Yes! You should not have to assume the risk that you might not be paid.
If she wants pictures to submit, she should pay you directly. If the company pays for them at some later date,
they can give her the payment then, as reimbursement. Her risk, not yours.

when I declined the shoot, she offered to pay me directly.  I'm considering it again.

Feb 08 16 04:20 pm Link

Model

Isis22

Muncie, Indiana, US

Let's turn this around-If a model was asking the same question what would YOU tell her?

Personally I don't like when someone changes the terms in the middle of a negotiation. It's a red flag for me. I want order, things planned out.

Feb 08 16 04:45 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Paolo Diavolo wrote:

when I declined the shoot, she offered to pay me directly.  I'm considering it again.

Now that is better.  I have shot content for model websites before, and always ask for payment right after the shoot.   I pay models at the end of photo shoots  too.   I used to  take gigs where a company is to pay me, and either they forget to ever send a check (hoping I'd forget?) or take months before cutting it.  I don't like that. If I can't be paid within a reasonable time at any job ... typically the longest wait being 2 weeks ... then forget it.   Pay me know or forget it!

Feb 08 16 05:13 pm Link

Photographer

San Anselmo, California, US

Why should you even consider doing any work for a company that has no cash..... NOT  even  a 50% deposit. ?? Sounds like a rotten deal.  I would pass.
  If you had done a lot of business with them in the past...that might put things in a different light. Sounds much too iffy !!!.
Feels like pie in the sky !!...NOW is she serious about paying you directly..... Cash ????   Hmmmmmmm

Feb 08 16 06:10 pm Link

Photographer

Top Gun Digital

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Paolo Diavolo wrote:

Make sure you have the money in your hands before you release any of the images.  However, be prepared for the scenario that you do the shoot and still get nothing for it.

Feb 08 16 06:38 pm Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Paolo Diavolo wrote:

Dear MM forum,
  Do I want this gig?

... I find out that my payment will come from the company and it may take 4-6 months.

makes me think I may never see payment?
is that worth it?

do you think that way too?
what would you do?

Payment upon delivery of service or goods. If they cannot afford to pay you now, then they are likely not going to be able to pay you later. Sounds like they want to make the money off of the pictures in order to pay you back. What if they don't make the money they are hoping to? Sounds like a gamble.

Sounds like a no, really.
Jen

Feb 08 16 07:05 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

Yeah no, just no.
Unless you want to learn the lesson of what never to do again.

Feb 08 16 07:08 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

J O H N  A L L A N wrote:
Yeah no, just no.
Unless you want to learn the lesson of what never to do again.

well, i am a bit of a masochist. wink

Feb 08 16 09:05 pm Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Top Gun Digital wrote:

Make sure you have the money in your hands before you release any of the images.  However, be prepared for the scenario that you do the shoot and still get nothing for it.

And that's why professionals have contracts and that's why we get paid prior to the shoot. It's really that simple.

Feb 09 16 12:23 am Link

Photographer

Kent Art Photography

Ashford, England, United Kingdom

Well, four to six months is quite common for tardy payers...

I'd be more interested in the contractual arrangements, but, of course, as with most of things, we have only side of the story, and not much of a story at that.  If the third party is reputable then it might be worth finding out more.

Feb 09 16 03:43 am Link

Photographer

fsp

New York, New York, US

4-6 months is a long time to wait for payment. 90 days from a corporation, but a botique shop doesnt get more than 30 at most....  you also need to adjust your fee in accordance with scalled rates for payment on delivery vs 30, 60, 90day payments... etc adding 10%/month... no discounts for making you wait.

contract is everything! get it in writting n signed by the owner of the company as well as her, the hiring agent. detail the contract with everything expected of you and them.

you should also include a commitment deposit... 25%-50%, that is fair to cover your costs.

then see how serious she is.

but because shes only the model, id get my money up front!... she can fight with the company over her cut!

never fall for "ive got more work for you" as incentive to do the job. that extra work hardly ever happens... its the carrot ploy.

Feb 09 16 05:30 am Link

Photographer

fsp

New York, New York, US

keep us posted? id hate to see the rant in here when the deal goes bad in 6 months

Feb 09 16 05:39 am Link

Model

Alex NW

Portland, Oregon, US

Paolo Diavolo wrote:
we all seem to be on the same page.

just to make it clear;
first the model made it seem like she was paying.
(no its not SG)

I've had quite a few photographers offer me similar deals and my answer is no.  If you believe in your project's financial success then invest in it by paying the photographer or model you want.  Don't expect others  to invest their time to hopefully get paid when and if your project is successful.

Feb 09 16 01:18 pm Link

Photographer

Warren Leimbach

Tampa, Florida, US

Paolo Diavolo wrote:

Dear MM forum,
  Do I want this gig?

I contact a model who is looking to hire (and pay) a photographer. The content is going to be sold online.
model has been great in talking to so far, but now we're working out the finer details and I find out that my payment will come from the company and it may take 4-6 months.
the people are cool, and I'm not doing anything else that day, but i dont feel any other motivation to want to do this gig for little or no pay right now and potentially at my expense.

Sounds like you already answered your own question.

You are creating something commercially valuable for them.  That is worth something in exchange.

BUT

If the content isn't compelling to you,
the money is low/no/deferred,
the odds of a portfolio benefit is small,
then why would you ever care to get involved?

Here's what I think:   You're not doing anything else that day?   Go shoot your own project that gives you artistic control on a topic that means something to you.

Paolo Diavolo wrote:

Patrick Walberg wrote:
Now that is better. ...

I agree with Patrick.   This is progress.

Feb 09 16 05:03 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

well, we worked things out. smile
i'm getting paid on friday, same day we're shooting.
yipppy!!

now i can blow all that cash before saturday ends.

Feb 09 16 10:22 pm Link