Forums > Model Colloquy > How would you react if I do this?

Photographer

NT Photography

Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China

Last week, I was browsing models over here at MM.  I recognised a girl that i tried to contact before, but she did not respond(message remained unread).  I was thinking if I should contact her again.  Anyway, I needed to go somewhere and decided to leave the matter.  I walked out of my office and was waiting for my bus when I noticed two, tall girls who were obviously models standing next to me.  I recognised one of the girls was the same girl I tried to contact a few moments ago.  I was looking at them for around 5 minutes.  I could not decide if I should introduce myself.  "She would freak out if I mention that I recognise her from MM and I have tried to contact her," I kept telling myself.  I could not come up with an alternative introduction.  I also searched for my business card, but I did not bring any.  Meanwhile, I did study her face to see if she is photogenic.  Then, the bus came.... they got on board and left.

How would you react if someone stopped you in the street and said that he had contacted you from MM? Freaked out?

Feb 10 16 09:06 am Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

In 2010, I was recognized once in a bar and twice by random individuals out in public who'd seen my work. It has happened sporadically, a handful of times since then, with the last time being in 2014. A woman who went to the same climbing gym I used recognized me from the Tumblr of a photographer I'd shot with out in California in 2009.

If one is freaked out at the idea of being recognized, they should NOT be modeling at all. Any shoot has the potential to put your face out there to viewers all over the world.

Feb 10 16 09:32 am Link

Photographer

Todd Meredith

Fayetteville, North Carolina, US

I can't see any reason for anyone to freak out about being seen on Model Mayhem.  As long as your personal introduction was cordial and respectful, the model shouldn't have been offended in the slightest bit.  The model put herself in the public eye and evidently wants to model.  The same goes for anyone who has a profile on a site and posts pictures of him or herself.  If you don't want people to recognize you, don't post your image for everyone to see.  Your personal introduction and an offer to grab a cop of coffee over which you could exchange ideas may have been what it took to get through to her.  On the other hand, this is the same person who didn't have the common decency or maturity to reply with a simple "Thanks for the offer but I'm not interested in working together at this time" says volumes about her character.  I know the "no one owes anyone a reply" crowd will jump all over my last comment but a grand sense of self importance is never an excuse to be rude to someone whose been courteous.

Feb 10 16 09:37 am Link

Photographer

Todd Meredith

Fayetteville, North Carolina, US

If one is freaked out at the idea of being recognized, they should NOT be modeling at all. Any shoot has the potential to put your face out there to viewers all over the world.

Totally agree, Koryn!

Feb 10 16 09:38 am Link

Photographer

NT Photography

Koryn wrote:
In 2010, I was recognized once in a bar and twice by random individuals out in public who'd seen my work. It has happened sporadically, a handful of times since then, with the last time being in 2014. A woman who went to the same climbing gym I used recognized me from the Tumblr of a photographer I'd shot with out in California in 2009.

Thanks.  I was not quick enough thinking.

Feb 10 16 09:43 am Link

Photographer

toesup

Grand Junction, Colorado, US

Strange this should be asked..

I've been browsing models on here looking for a particular figure and 'style' of model.. and think I found the young lady I was looking for..

The more I looked through her work, the more I was convinced I had met her somewhere before, but couldn't figure out where or when..

Only when I looked through her Facebook portfolio, did it become apparent that I actually met the young lady at a party late last year and didn't even figure out then that she was a model..

Feb 10 16 10:13 am Link

Photographer

SoftLights

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

Koryn & Todd nailed it. You indicated that she hadn't read your message. From time to time messages don't get delivered. If I see one's not read I'll send another. More times than not they respond to the second and tell me they did not receive the first. I ran into a young lady that I'd messaged twice with no reply. I introduced myself and she apologized for not getting back with me. We talked for 10 or 15 minutes and scheduled a shoot for the next day. The shoot went great as did the three other times we've shot since then. I was prepared to go on about my business if she didn't seem interested but our conversation was warm and friendly and very productive.

Feb 10 16 10:18 am Link

Model

Layla_B

Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant, Netherlands

Some time ago I was walking in the city with my mum, doing some shopping. Then someone suddenly tapped my shoulder.
I swirled around and there was some guy I had never seen before. "You are Layla right?"
"Ehm, yes?" I answered a little startled.
" I recognized you from your photos on ModelMayhem! That Superman-trick doesn't work on me!!" (I was wearing my glasses.)
He told me he was working on some concepts of Greek goddesses and asked if I was interested. He did not have any businesscards with him.
I asked him if he could email me with some more details about his idea, and ofcourse his portfolio. Because discussing this on the street is not very convenient.
And so went our own ways again and he sent me an email within a day or two.

Next time you see this model, I would just gather some confidence and approach them. Even if you have contacted her before and she never replied. From your story I can't really make out how long ago that was. But you can always try again.
If people meet you in real life, they might have a more positive attitude towards you (ofcourse depending on how you have approached them on the street!). For one thing; I am flattered if someone approaches me on the street for modelling. (Even if I do not turn out to shoot with them because I don't like their style of work or something. That is an always present risk when contacting people.)

Feb 10 16 11:32 am Link

Model

Grouchy Retired Nova

Tucson, Arizona, US

Todd Meredith wrote:

Totally agree, Koryn!

It really depends on the approach.

"Hi, I'm so and so, with such and such studio.  I've seen your photos on Model Mayhem" shouldn't be a problem.

Feb 10 16 11:40 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Todd Meredith wrote:

Lieza Nova wrote:
It really depends on the approach.

"Hi, I'm so and so, with such and such studio.  I've seen your photos on Model Mayhem" shouldn't be a problem.

If you had a business card handy, that would have been better -- it does a lot to demonstrate that you just might be who you said you are.  I'm usually carrying a camera with me when I'm out in the world, too.

>>>>>  Tangent Alert  >>>>>
There was a local model who created a sensation here when she started modeling.  (There are a few 18+ images of her in my portfolio).  She quickly became very popular -- she had a unique look & a world class figure.  In a blink of an eye, she signed with a US agency & another agency in Europe.  Another eye blink, and she gets a boyfriend.  Another blink, and the boyfriend doesn't like her posing for anyone except him.  Another blink, and she stops modeling altogether.

A couple years later, I'm riding the streetcar, and I see her get on one stop before I was planning to get off.  I didn't get a real good look at her, but I recognized her -- her look was so unique.  I didn't think much about it -- I had to get off so soon afterwards.  A couple months later, our paths cross again while riding the streetcar.  So, I say hello to her, using her real name (not her stage name).  She looks at me as if I was crazy, so I introduced myself, reminded her that she posed for me at my house (I didn't mention that she posed nude).  The poor thing looked so frightened, that I dropped it, apologized for bothering her, and got off the streetcar.  I've never seen anyone look more frightened.  Every few months, our paths will cross -- I might give her a little wave or nod my chin up -- she's still too frightened to talk with me.
>>>>>  End Tangent  >>>>>

Yes, the approach is important.  Be polite.  Don't be pushy.  Take your cues from the potential model's reaction.

Feb 10 16 12:14 pm Link

Photographer

fsp

New York, New York, US

I'd try not making contract because sometimes their personal lives are very different from their modeling life.

Getting involved may be hazardous to everyone's well being.

Feb 10 16 01:11 pm Link

Photographer

Mary Durante Youtt

Barnegat, New Jersey, US

The F-Stop wrote:
I'd try not making contract because sometimes their personal lives are very different from their modeling life.

Getting involved may be hazardous to everyone's well being.

I agree, I wouldn't have said anything if she was with another person.  Some models keep this "life" separate.

I would contact her again through MM  and would mention that I saw her with a friend waiting for a bus, I didn't want to intrude but I'd love to photograph you - yada, yada.

Feb 10 16 01:39 pm Link

Photographer

NT Photography

Thanks, everyone.  I got a good insight,

I was probably more freaked out myself.  I literally looked at her profile right before I ran into her.  Or else i would not have remembered.  There were too many funny thoughts going through my head. 

"Am I imagining this?" I asked myself.

Feb 10 16 09:48 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

First, I agree with what others have said.  It would have been no big deal to have introduced yourself.

LC Photography wrote:
I recognised a girl that i tried to contact before, but she did not respond(message remained unread).

Second, how do you know it wasn't read?  I receive notices from MM by email.  I always open the emails before I open the MM messages.  It sometimes takes me a while to open them.  It is possible that she read her email and wasn't interested, and thus didn't open the message.

Having said that, it is often easier to meet someone in person.  If she had read the message, or simply chosen to ignore it, her opinion might have changed when she met you in person.  Saying "hi" is no big deal.

Feb 11 16 07:44 am Link

Artist/Painter

MainePaintah

Saco, Maine, US

I guess it all depends on the model and what genre you collaborated with the model.

Years ago, before I joined MM and started to work with photography models, all my paintings were done from life. All my models came from a local college. They posed nude for my paintings, and most of them did not allow me to photograph them back then.. A few of them even hinted  to me that I should not approach them or say hi if we ever met on the street because no one knew they were posing nude for an artist, and they didn't want an awkward situation. Most of them were studying to become Doctors (if that matters).

Feb 11 16 08:06 am Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:

Todd Meredith wrote:

If you had a business card handy, that would have been better -- it does a lot to demonstrate that you just might be who you said you are.  I'm usually carrying a camera with me when I'm out in the world, too.

>>>>>  Tangent Alert  >>>>>
There was a local model who created a sensation here when she started modeling.  (There are a few 18+ images of her in my portfolio).  She quickly became very popular -- she had a unique look & a world class figure.  In a blink of an eye, she signed with a US agency & another agency in Europe.  Another eye blink, and she gets a boyfriend.  Another blink, and the boyfriend doesn't like her posing for anyone except him.  Another blink, and she stops modeling altogether.

A couple years later, I'm riding the streetcar, and I see her get on one stop before I was planning to get off.  I didn't get a real good look at her, but I recognized her -- her look was so unique.  I didn't think much about it -- I had to get off so soon afterwards.  A couple months later, our paths cross again while riding the streetcar.  So, I say hello to her, using her real name (not her stage name).  She looks at me as if I was crazy, so I introduced myself, reminded her that she posed for me at my house (I didn't mention that she posed nude).  The poor thing looked so frightened, that I dropped it, apologized for bothering her, and got off the streetcar.  I've never seen anyone look more frightened.  Every few months, our paths will cross -- I might give her a little wave or nod my chin up -- she's still too frightened to talk with me.
>>>>>  End Tangent  >>>>>

Yes, the approach is important.  Be polite.  Don't be pushy.  Take your cues from the potential model's reaction.

I think I know the model you are talking about and she was an amazing model. We had talked about a shoot but I could never get out to the northwest to make it happen.  She would have been a dream to shoot fine art with. 

She may have had a bad experience that totally turned her off of modeling.

Feb 11 16 08:26 am Link

Photographer

Dario Western

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Koryn wrote:

I couldn't agree more with you, Koryn.  smile

Feb 12 16 01:31 pm Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

LC Photography wrote:
Last week, I was browsing models over here at MM.  I recognised a girl that i tried to contact before, but she did not respond(message remained unread).  I was thinking if I should contact her again.  Anyway, I needed to go somewhere and decided to leave the matter.  I walked out of my office and was waiting for my bus when I noticed two, tall girls who were obviously models standing next to me.  I recognised one of the girls was the same girl I tried to contact a few moments ago.  I was looking at them for around 5 minutes.  I could not decide if I should introduce myself.  "She would freak out if I mention that I recognise her from MM and I have tried to contact her," I kept telling myself.  I could not come up with an alternative introduction.  I also searched for my business card, but I did not bring any.  Meanwhile, I did study her face to see if she is photogenic.  Then, the bus came.... they got on board and left.

How would you react if someone stopped you in the street and said that he had contacted you from MM? Freaked out?

Hahaaa...I grew up in Hong Kong.  It is a small place, I can see that this will happen more often. 

Anyway, I would not approach her because it makes you looked like a stalker.  This is bad vibes.  In my practices, if the model does not list her FB or IG on her profile, I will not mention that I have seen her on FB or IG.  I certainly will not friend her.

Feb 12 16 03:04 pm Link

Photographer

erik jensen

NORTH HOLLYWOOD, California, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:
I've never seen anyone look more frightened.  Every few months, our paths will cross -- I might give her a little wave or nod my chin up -- she's still too frightened to talk with me.

great story. I think I know which model you speak of too. Im sorry I never got to photograph her.

at this point she probably thinks you are stalking her. next time look over and wink, then look away. lol.
have some fun with it.

Feb 12 16 03:27 pm Link

Photographer

Eric212Grapher

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

If she is with someone, I would not approach in public. You do not know what she has told the other person. Some models lead a double life. Some have told their SO they are no longer modeling. You might be spilling the beans on something they wish to keep private the person they happen to be with at the time.

If she is alone, a business-like greeting. If she is the person, then simply say you'll email/message her later, unless she has the time to talk now.

Feb 12 16 04:18 pm Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

If she were alone, I would have no problem introducing myself and asking if she had seen my message yet.  If she were with someone, I probably would not since I would have no way to knowing whether or not that second person would approve or disapprove of her being on Model Mayhem (if the other person were her agent, for example) or indeed of modeling at all (such as a significant social or business contact).  Sadly, there are probably as many reasons for non- models/photographers to disapprove of our little group as there are people who are not part of it.

Feb 12 16 06:13 pm Link