Forums > Model Colloquy > Update your profile

Photographer

HalfMoonColorado

Murrells Inlet, South Carolina, US

Maybe I should say "correct" it. I have a shoot that requires some nudity but I don't want any tattoos on the model. In doing searches and checking the box indicating NO to tattoos, not N/A or blank, as a criteria. I would say half of the models who say they have none have some very obvious skin art. I'm not talking about maybe a 1/2" swallow on the ankle but large and colorful tattoos.

Do you think you'll say you don't have any but your work is so amazing the person doing the search will overlook it and hire you anyway? Okay, I understand you got some work done after the profile was made. So change the dang thing. If you went from an A cup to a DD you would think that was important enough wouldn't you?

It's actually getting harder and harder to find models who don't have ink. That is their own decision to do but sometimes it is distracting to what I want the viewer to focus on.

Feb 13 16 08:33 am Link

Model

Isis22

Muncie, Indiana, US

The tattoo box was not here originally and for years after this site started. So, many don't even realize it's there at all. None is what is there when nothing has been checked. I understand your dilemma but there are very few models in the forums so you are wasting your time treating those who are here like children who need to be chastised.

Feb 13 16 01:29 pm Link

Model

LauraLuna

Madrid, Madrid, Spain

No ink here!

Feb 13 16 04:11 pm Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

I don't think you are picking on models as a group at all.  You are just frustrated with folks who can't take the time to update their profile, yet want to be hired by photographers. For me it is always those who say they shoot nudes and have no nudes in their port and when you ask they say they don't shoot nudes.  There is no rational and yet it persists.

Thats just the wonder of this site.  I think sometimes certain models who are paid see the photographer as a "client", or a commodity .  I would correct that and say the photographer is the customer.  With all that entails.

You might be better off to ask all models about their possible ink as you work through the particulars of what you are looking for, and forget about profiles.

I also think it is the sign of the times, it seems that there is a lot of body modification happening with men and women these days,  whether it be ink or branding or piercing. So you may have just cut your field of potential models down considerably if you have a stipulation against ink.

Best of luck to you and your work

Feb 13 16 04:38 pm Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

LauraLuna wrote:
No ink here!

Do you ever get to the US?  You are a stiking art model.

Feb 13 16 04:39 pm Link

Model

Grouchy Retired Nova

Tucson, Arizona, US

Risen Phoenix Photo wrote:
I don't think you are picking on models as a group at all.  You are just frustrated with folks who can't take the time to update their profile, yet want to be hired by photographers. For me it is always those who say they shoot nudes and have no nudes in their port and when you ask they say they don't shoot nudes.  There is no rational and yet it persists.

Thats just the wonder of this site.  I think sometimes certain models who are paid see the photographer as a "client", or a commodity .  I would correct that and say the photographer is the customer.  With all that entails.

You might be better off to ask all models about their possible ink as you work through the particulars of what you are looking for, and forget about profiles.

I also think it is the sign of the times, it seems that there is a lot of body modification happening with men and women these days,  whether it be ink or branding or piercing. So you may have just cut your field of potential models down considerably if you have a stipulation against ink.

Best of luck to you and your work

The tabs to edit ones portfolio and the tab to upload photos are completely different.  As many models would have no need to update their stats or portfolio text on a regular basis, they would have no idea that a tattoo option was available. 

It's not like Model Mayhem calls us and lets is know when they decide to add or remove features. I just happened to notice when I was updating my portfolio text and filled it in. If this is truly an issue, perhaps you should suggest a mass PM, alerting everyone to the update.

Feb 13 16 07:07 pm Link

Photographer

TEB-Art Photo

Carrboro, North Carolina, US

I have to agree with Risen Phoenix.

If you do a US tour, please add Raleigh-Durham to your schedule also.

Feb 13 16 07:47 pm Link

Model

LauraLuna

Madrid, Madrid, Spain

I'm saving money for it!

Feb 14 16 04:31 am Link

Photographer

PhotoKromze

Lisbon, Lisboa e Vale do Tejo, Portugal

LauraLuna wrote:

I'm saving money for it!

Would you ever consider hopping over on the eastern side of the globe? smile

Feb 14 16 05:15 am Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Isis22 wrote:
The tattoo box was not here originally and for years after this site started. So, many don't even realize it's there at all. None is what is there when nothing has been checked. I understand your dilemma but there are very few models in the forums so you are wasting your time treating those who are here like children who need to be chastised.

Yes, and thank you.

Jen
p.s. I think I checked my boxes only because I read about them in the forums but, if I wasn't in the forums wouldn't have known.

Feb 14 16 07:10 am Link

Model

LauraLuna

Madrid, Madrid, Spain

PhotoKromze wrote:

Would you ever consider hopping over on the eastern side of the globe? smile

Maybe in the future as well smile

Feb 15 16 04:09 am Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

Isis22 wrote:

Basically.

Same goes for the "Shoots Nudes" selection as well as "Compensation".

Feb 15 16 06:35 am Link

Model

Liv Sage

Seattle, Washington, US

Honestly, I think a lot of girls simply forget. I update my portfolio as often as possible and update my stats weekly (if they change).

But, I do think many just forget and have a lot going on in their lives. Adjusting their bust size to the inch or stating that they don't have tats when they do is something they don't think about. Especially if this isn't a full time job for them, I think certain things tend to slip through the cracks on that front.

Feb 16 16 12:17 pm Link

Photographer

Todd Meredith

Fayetteville, North Carolina, US

Just a Hobby wrote:

I have to agree with Risen Phoenix.

If you do a US tour, please add Raleigh-Durham to your schedule also.

Make that X2!

Feb 17 16 04:07 pm Link

Model

LauraLuna

Madrid, Madrid, Spain

Todd Meredith wrote:

Make that X2!

My, my, I'm thinking about creating a crowdfunding to fund my travel to the US, lol

I hope I can gather the money soon so I can work with you guys

Feb 17 16 04:44 pm Link

Model

Dekilah

Dearborn, Michigan, US

I don't have tattoos either, though I realize it's not so helpful given that I'm not near you nor am I a traveling model. While tattoos are common, if you're not absolutely in need of zero tattoos, but rather no visible tattoos (or no tattoos in certain area), you'll probably find quite a few models.

The fact that "None" is the default is problematic. I realize it takes more time, but glancing through portfolios before contacting models might be helpful, though I'm sure you've been doing that.

Feb 17 16 07:38 pm Link

Photographer

Maxfield Photography

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

For the record, "N/A" appears if the tattoo and/or piercing boxes have never been checked. If it indicates "None", that means it was deliberately set to none at some point.

No, I have to believe that a healthy majority of inked models who indicate that they do not have tattoos do so in the hopes that they won't get automatically filtered out of searches. Maybe that's ok if they have a tiny tattoo on the inside of their index finger. It's quite possible that such a tattoo might never show in a photograph, and even if it did, a couple clicks in photoshop and it's gone. But it's asinine to think that, if a client wants a model with no tattoos, that they are somehow going to overlook a huge, colorful sleeve. You'll just piss them off to no end if you show up to the shoot with a nasty surprise. Models, honesty is the best policy. If you have tattoos, be honest about it in your profile, it's going to come out in the end anyway. Maybe you'll actually be hired precisely because you are inked, search filters work both ways.. Alternatively, if you don't want to lie about not having tattoos, don't get tattoos, then you can honestly answer "none".

There are always sacrifices to be made in the pursuit of excellence. Great classical pianists spend at least four hours a day (for some as many as eight hours) in the practice room. Olympic athletes have to push their bodies to the breaking  point in the hopes of competing in the Games. Models need to stay in shape, they need to watch their figure (even plus sized models), and they may sometimes have to sacrifice the freedom to lead the lifestyle they would otherwise choose if they wish to be successful. Because the harsh truth is if they aren't willing to make those sacrifices, they risk being passed over for the next model who is willing. There is no shortage of competition in this industry.

Feb 17 16 08:33 pm Link

Photographer

Darren Brade

London, England, United Kingdom

Personally, I think a lot of models just don't seem to understand how important keeping their stats up to date is. This is not just just tattoos, but stats in general.
It's nothing new, and not limited to internet models, agencies have to keep checking their models too rather than leave it to the models themselves.

So to the models that DO regularly check and update their stats, Thank You, it is appreciated. :-)

Feb 20 16 01:42 am Link

Photographer

Shawn Wright Photo

Niagara Falls, New York, US

While we're at it, perhaps an option can be added that roughly indicates the size and number, e.g. 1-3 tattoos, small? It's not an issue for me, since I don't mind shooting models with tattoos, but it obviously is to others, judging by the presence of this thread.

Feb 20 16 02:37 am Link

Photographer

crx studios

Los Angeles, California, US

Isis22 wrote:
I understand your dilemma but there are very few models in the forums so you are wasting your time treating those who are here like children who need to be chastised.

If you think models should be spared ever having to hear constructive criticism (and reminding models that it’s important to keep their stats current is exactly that) - then it is you who sees them as delicate children.

Adults are expected to handle reasonable criticism without feeling personally chastised, and anyone who encourages people to be more easily offended by everyday life is doing them a huge disservice.

Feb 21 16 12:54 pm Link

Model

Olga Cabaeva

London, England, United Kingdom

HalfMoonColorado wrote:
Maybe I should say "correct" it. I have a shoot that requires some nudity but I don't want any tattoos

It's actually getting harder and harder to find models who don't have ink. That is their own decision to do but sometimes it is distracting to what I want the viewer to focus on.

I don't have any tattoos, but I live too far from your location....

Feb 21 16 01:01 pm Link