Forums > Model Colloquy > Models to Obtain Doctor’s Note In Order To Work?

Photographer

toesup

Grand Junction, Colorado, US

New legislation proposed in California..

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2016/02/ … cw.twitter

Thoughts?..

Feb 27 16 08:41 am Link

Photographer

salvatori.

Amundsen-Scott - permanent station of the US, Unclaimed Sector, Antarctica

My thoughts?

Follow the money.

Feb 27 16 08:57 am Link

Model

malefica

Durham, England, United Kingdom

I don't see the issue.

Feb 27 16 08:59 am Link

Model

Isis22

Muncie, Indiana, US

A doctor's note is too vague. One doctor says no so you just keep going to others and find one that says yes. I find that to be just about useless.

Feb 27 16 09:03 am Link

Photographer

Light and Lens Studio

Sisters, Oregon, US

One more brick in the wall of "social engineering"

Feb 27 16 09:22 am Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

salvatori. wrote:
My thoughts?

Follow the money.

Agree.

Per the article, Karl Lagerfeld shocked the world when he said, "The problem wasn’t thin models, but overweight women."

The CA bill's lawmaker was being pushed by ex-model who is part of Project Heal.  Follow the grant money trail too.

Actually, wouldn't be a bad idea of Project Heal would go after some of the obesity issues either.  Stage 2 diabetics at age 7?  One fat kid per school bus bench seat?

Too bad Taylor Swift is so unhealthy, skinny, and under the French BMI standards for runway that she can't be a part of any Victoria Secret's French runway shows either - like she is so unhealthy. wink

Feb 27 16 09:59 am Link

Model

Caitin Bre

Apache Junction, Arizona, US

Doesn't affect freelance.... I imagine it will ad to the cost of using agency models.
People will just hire more freelance models and avoid the red tape and extra expense.

I do think it isn't a bad Idea because Agency stats aren't realistic as healthy female form.

Feb 27 16 06:21 pm Link

Model

Caitin Bre

Apache Junction, Arizona, US

Isis22 wrote:
A doctor's note is too vague. One doctor says no so you just keep going to others and find one that says yes. I find that to be just about useless.

I can see a agency doing their homework and have a Dr that will sign anyone who has a heart beat for the premium fee of coarse. Unless the bill says the note has to come from the models family Dr it will just ad to the corruption.

Feb 27 16 06:25 pm Link

Model

Isis22

Muncie, Indiana, US

Caitin Bre  wrote:

Isis22 wrote:

I can see a agency doing their homework and have a Dr that will sign anyone who has a heart beat for the premium fee of coarse. Unless the bill says the note has to come from the models family Dr it will just ad to the corruption.[/quote

Absolutely.

Feb 28 16 07:10 am Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

I don't see it being possible to work to anyone's advantage since there are too many chances for failure.  While the overall concept of changing the society's view of what one needs to look like to be a fashion model (or any sort of model for that matter) is badly needed, this definitely isn't the best way to go about it.

Many people see the whole concept of fashion modelling as one huge joke anyway, because the average woman wouldn't wear those styles nor would they be available in sizes to fit them in the retail stores. I pay zero attention to it as it doesn't concern me and never has.

Feb 28 16 07:16 am Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

There are many jobs where someone's ill health or health risk can put people at risk much more so than with modeling.

If a model can't get the proper doctor's permission to model and instead works day care or gets an acting gig, what does that accomplish exactly?  Banning her from modeling doesn't cut the health risk to her or those around her.  It only transfers some of that risk to others.

Feb 28 16 07:50 am Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

if a doctor can detect potentially unsafe ways of staying thin (cigarettes, drugs, herbs, dangerous diets) then that might help level the playing field a bit (and prevent some women from self-harm). but seems like the advantage would still go to those who won the genetic lottery (as is also the case in fields other than modeling). maybe the reality is that women who can't find a "safe" way to be thin need to look for work that doesn't require that.

there's a scene in the movie the perfect storm (about a fishing boat that didn't make it) where diane lane's character is yelling at the boss and he says something like "that's the game". if you want to change the world, change the game.

Feb 28 16 08:50 am Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Oh, lets see, the silly idea.

Actors, dancers, performers and others, where does this draw the line?

Jen

Feb 28 16 07:54 pm Link

Photographer

Weldphoto

Charleston, South Carolina, US

“I didn’t want to be involved in an industry that was making me sick.
Sick from eating disorders, her mental and physical health suffering, DuBose left the business four years ago."

The modeling industry DID NOT make her sick. She chose what to eat, how to behave, and how to care for her body. No one forced it upon her. She made herself sick, which is sad, of course, but that is not the "industry's" fault.

This bit of idiotic legislation is yet more of the state treating its citizens like foolish little children who must be protected from themselves.

We need to take responsibility for our own actions and stop blaming others.

Will the doctors refuse to grant a letter to overweight models who are also unhealthy?

Mar 12 16 03:59 pm Link

Photographer

wr not here

Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

toesup wrote:
New legislation proposed in California..

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2016/02/ … cw.twitter

Thoughts?..

More fun and games in the land of the free.

Mar 12 16 04:10 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Caitin Bre  wrote:
Doesn't affect freelance.... I imagine it will ad to the cost of using agency models.
People will just hire more freelance models and avoid the red tape and extra expense.

I do think it isn't a bad Idea because Agency stats aren't realistic as healthy female form.

Here is the actual text of the proposed statute:  http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/15-16/bil … oduced.pdf

You are correct and it is interesting.  It is specifically targeted to agency models.

Mar 12 16 04:39 pm Link

Model

Amy DeBellis

New York, New York, US

Weldphoto wrote:
Sick from eating disorders, her mental and physical health suffering, DuBose left the business four years ago."

The modeling industry DID NOT make her sick. She chose what to eat, how to behave, and how to care for her body. No one forced it upon her. She made herself sick, which is sad, of course, but that is not the "industry's" fault.

This bit of idiotic legislation is yet more of the state treating its citizens like foolish little children who must be protected from themselves.

Will the doctors refuse to grant a letter to overweight models who are also unhealthy?

Agree 100%

And no they won't because overweight models are "inspiring" and "brave"

Mar 12 16 04:46 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Just one more avenue for doctors & the government to make a little extra money.  Ridiculous!

Mar 12 16 09:00 pm Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

MatureModelMM wrote:
Many people see the whole concept of fashion modelling as one huge joke anyway, because the average woman wouldn't wear those styles nor would they be available in sizes to fit them in the retail stores.

Agreed.

This is part of why women (especially) from the largest demographic of consumers are showing changing interests in clothing and brands. Athletic-type clothing brands (Lululemon and the like) are now regarded as "fashion," because they represent practical, comfortable clothing that suit the needs of a wide range of body-types. If you asked a regular American female consumer about "fashion" in the 90s, she'd probably be a lot more likely to mention Dior or Chanel than she would be today.

I heard a segment recently on NPR about the changing nature of the "fashion industry." It was pretty fascinating. Haute couture was created to be "elite" and that drove it to success for generations, but it ultimately leading to its distruction.

I mean...really... $500 for a handbag? I don't care how successful a person is, if you're cool with dropping $1000 on a pair of pants, you just got suckered.

Mar 13 16 11:43 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Weldphoto wrote:

This.

As for the last question.  No, because the plus-model trend is being force-fed upon us like fois gras.

Mar 13 16 03:05 pm Link

Model

CrystalWat

Macon, Georgia, US

I think it's completely necessary. If people insist on starving themselves then they're obviously not bright enough to make decisions for themselves and need to have no choice but to maintain a healthy weight.

Mar 31 16 05:45 pm Link

Model

malefica

Durham, England, United Kingdom

CrystalWat wrote:
I think it's completely necessary. If people insist on starving themselves then they're obviously not bright enough to make decisions for themselves and need to have no choice but to maintain a healthy weight.

Bit badly phrased, or at least, the 'if people insist on starving themselves then they're obviously not bright enough to make decisions for themselves' kind of strikes me a bit too close to the line in forgetting the combination of peer pressure, societal influence, pressure from an authority and a whole myriad of other factors that teenage models go through in the sort of environment that the original article prompted.

Perceptions of illness in individuals with anorexia nervosa: A comparison with lay men and women
Trauma, Dissociation, and Impulse Dyscontrol in Eating Disorders
The Joy Project

Eating disorders are MENTAL illnesses. They are caused many factors, including: depression, family stress, self-esteem, internalized anger, societal pressure, media images, lack of knowledge about nutrition, etc. Also, restrictive eating and bulimia have similar effects on the brain as addictions. In short, the brain basically gets 'addicted' to the caloric deficit. Increasing eating behaviors actually causes a version of 'withdrawals', which results in intense anxiety, depression, irritability, potential dehydration and electrolyte disturbances (also 'refeeding syndrome'), and potential suicidal ideation. Telling a person to 'just eat' is similar to telling a heroin addict to 'just suck it up' when going through withdrawals.

People who believe eating disorders are a choice often don't understand the psychological distress that sufferers are under. It's not as if people with Binge Eating Disorder or bulimia think that binging sounds like a fun thing to do. They are addicts, and as with any addiction, abstaining can lead to withdrawal. Similarly, people with anorexia and other victims are typically under an unbearable amount of stress regarding their body image, and restricting or purging provide the escape they are desperate for. They don't feel as if they have a choice.

http://www.bustle.com/articles/138959-7 … ually-work

Now I'm aware that being underweight is not always the result of an eating disorder or close to one. I am well aware that some people are naturally skinny, and/or have trouble putting on weight. But people seem to forget how prevalent eating disorders as the result of societal/peer pressure, which in turn can also come from agency pressure to be skinnier than the rest of the models, or pushing to lose what may not be possible/natural for their body type.

Model Alliance also has some statistics;
64.1% asked to lose weight
68.3% have anxiety or depression
48.7% do crash-dieting
31.2% have had eating disorders

Not high enough? Not sure about you, but, those numbers shouldn't be as high as they are in the first place.

Apr 01 16 01:31 am Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

People will just find doctors willing to write notes for a fee, much like they do for medical marijuana, other prescriptions, and handicapped placards.

And like many other well-intended laws, it will end up impacting good people over small issues while overlooking the bad ones (For example, CPS and immigration laws.)

It could also lead to more people claiming disability who might not otherwise have a reason.

Or perhaps an affected model could work under a different job title or payment arrangement to skirt the law.

Apr 01 16 04:42 am Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

Caitin Bre  wrote:

Being a hobby photographer, I endorse anything that discourages models from joining agencies and encourages them to be independent.

But it also be a boon for unlicensed agencies, photographers portraying themselves as managers, and other "Sluggos", all of whom are an even greater detriment to the hobby.

Apr 01 16 04:55 am Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

Abbitt Photography wrote:
There are many jobs where someone's ill health or health risk can put people at risk much more so than with modeling.

Jen B wrote:
Oh, lets see, the silly idea.

Actors, dancers, performers and others, where does this draw the line?

Jen

First they placed the requirement on models, but I thought nothing of it since I'm an Accountant...

This is just the start, and if it take hold will spread to other professions and states.

Apr 01 16 05:06 am Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

How long until having more than a certain amount of ink or body modifications is deemed to be a mental health issue?

Apr 01 16 05:12 am Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

Caitin Bre  wrote:

The only thing I agree with here is that it probably won't effect freelance.
1) The people/organizations using agency girls are going to be pretty much oblivious to a minor rate increase of agency models. That's not why they go with an agency. It's not going to send them scurrying to freelancers.

2) There's nothing inherently unhealthy about a agency-age girl with the typical fashion agency stats.

Apr 01 16 02:39 pm Link

Model

Figures Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

J O H N  A L L A N wrote:
That's not why they go with an agency. It's not going to send them scurrying to freelancers.

2) There's nothing inherently unhealthy about a agency-age girl with the typical fashion agency stats.

There was nothing wrong for or with me when I was that age and had those same stats too. Its really silly for people to try and force a youthful person to have a middle aged person's weight and body.

Jen

Apr 01 16 03:52 pm Link