Forums > General Industry > Toronto sexual assault - Photographer

Model

Cayley Jay

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

He is a photographer/Co-editor in chief of Flirts magazine

http://torontopolice.on.ca/newsreleases/34123

*Update*

Four more women (models) have come forward, including a (then) 15 year old.

https://nowtoronto.com/music/king-west- … l-assault/

Mar 03 16 11:37 am Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Whatever happened to the notion of innocent until proven guilty?

That press release and the subsequent media coverage, complete with full name and photos of the alleged offender, are presented in such a way that I wonder if the alleged offender's legal team will be arguing to have the charges dismissed because their client's reputation has been so tarnished by the media reporting that it is no longer possible to secure a fair trial.

Mar 03 16 04:31 pm Link

Model

Jac k

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Rob Photosby wrote:

That press release and the subsequent media coverage, complete with full name and photos of the alleged offender, are presented in such a way that I wonder if the alleged offender's legal team will be arguing to have the charges dismissed because their client's reputation has been so tarnished by the media reporting that it is no longer possible to secure a fair trial.

Mar 04 16 09:54 am Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Jac Knight wrote:
There's an open investigation and enough evidence that suggests this has happened before, they do not release photos and information unless they are not pleading for other victims to come forward. I don't know how things work legally in australia but due to the sensitive nature of the allegations and information this case will likely be seen by a judge alone and behind close doors no media allowed.

We share a common legal heritage, so it is interesting that things have evolved so differently.

The rights of the accused seem to be a bit more closely guarded over here.  It does not matter that the legal proceedings may be behind closed doors. As they say, when mud is hurled, some of it always sticks, which is not a good outcome if the accused happens to be innocent.

Mar 04 16 03:48 pm Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

Jac Knight wrote:
due to the sensitive nature of the allegations and information this case will likely be seen by a judge alone and behind close doors no media allowed.

What so sensitive about this case?  Do you know more about this case, or you are just as clueless as everyone here?  It is not like Prince William vs. another hot babe? 
I would rather wait until their investigation is over and look at the fact.  People lie.

Mar 05 16 07:04 am Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

Rob Photosby wrote:

This has absolutely nothing to do w/ the notion of "innocent until proven guilty."

1. When a person is charged, the assumption is that the prosecutor's think there is enough evidence to warrant a conviction at trial.

2. Also when a person is charged, said charge becomes a matter of the public record. A loss of privacy & reputation is a matter for the defendant to deal with.

3. People may whine "whatever happened to 'innocent until proven guilty'" all they want but there neglecting that the FULL quote is "innocent until proven guilty IN A COURT OF LAW.."

Mar 05 16 07:15 am Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Farenell Photography wrote:
This has absolutely nothing to do w/ the notion of "innocent until proven guilty."

1. When a person is charged, the assumption is that the prosecutor's think there is enough evidence to warrant a conviction at trial.

2. Also when a person is charged, said charge becomes a matter of the public record. A loss of privacy & reputation is a matter for the defendant to deal with.

3. People may whine "whatever happened to 'innocent until proven guilty'" all they want but there neglecting that the FULL quote is "innocent until proven guilty IN A COURT OF LAW.."

Well in Canada it's "Any person charged with an offence has the right to be presumed innocent until proven guilty according to law in a fair and public hearing by an independent and impartial tribunal"

and the US it's not cited by the constitution, but that isn't the point here.  His lawyer could make a case that the coverage is impacting the potential jury pool.

Mar 05 16 07:33 am Link

Model

KelliOnLineGlamourNude

Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Rob Photosby wrote:

There have been quite a few on-line attacks towards both him and the victim, so I agree with you that innocent til proven guilty has gone out the window on many levels. I also find it disgusting how people are also making irresponsible judgment calls on the victim as well. People who are clueless should keep their mouths shut, until facts surface.

Mar 05 16 08:59 am Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

KelliOnLineGlamourNude  wrote:
I also find it disgusting how people are also making irresponsible judgment calls on the victim as well. People who are clueless should keep their mouths shut, until facts surface.

If you follow your own rules, you should not judge other either.  You don't know any more than anyone of us here on MM.  I am just saying.

Mar 05 16 09:05 am Link

Model

KelliOnLineGlamourNude

Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Connor Photography wrote:

If you follow your own rules, you should not judge other either.  You don't know any more than anyone of us here on MM.  I am just saying.

You're telling me to not have a negative opinion of people making judgment calls on what they don't know?

Okay.

Mar 05 16 09:09 am Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

KelliOnLineGlamourNude  wrote:

You're telling me to not have a negative opinion of people making judgment calls on what they don't know?

Okay.

No, if you have a negative opinion of people, just keep it to yourself. Live by your own rule, walk the talk.  mad

Mar 05 16 09:20 am Link

Model

KelliOnLineGlamourNude

Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Connor Photography wrote:

No, if you have a negative opinion of people, just keep it to yourself. Live by your own rule, walk the talk.  mad

I didn't say not to have a negative opinion of negative people, I said people who don't know what they're talking about should be quiet. It was really straight forward.

But I guess u did the opposite of what I suggested. Either that or your blood sugar is low.

Mar 05 16 09:27 am Link

Photographer

KungPaoChic

West Palm Beach, Florida, US

People have opinions -- that is not against the law.

in my mind there are plenty of people running around that may never be found gullty in a court of law but they are not exactly innocent either.

I am not specifically speaking of this care but I have do have my own opinion -- which is my right.

Mar 05 16 09:29 am Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

The way this has been handled has me conflicted.

If he's guilty, convict him, put him away and ask for other victims.  Then try him for those, nail him hard and keep him put away even longer.

If he's innocent, they've completely publicly convicted him and destroyed him, without any due process.  That would be a massive misuse of power and of the proper police role in the process.

The problem is that I have absolutely no idea which is the case here. Like most people reading this thread.

Mar 05 16 12:11 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

LightDreams wrote:
If he's innocent, they've completely publicly convicted him and destroyed him, without any due process.  That would be a massive misuse of power and of the proper police role in the process.

You have identified the essence of the problem. 

The man may well be guilty, but the police's media release and consequent media coverage have been written in a way that seems to presume guilt and would be considered prejudicial to receiving a fair trial on this side of the Pacific.

Mar 05 16 02:41 pm Link

Photographer

Revenge Photography

Horsham, Victoria, Australia

I think that the way the law protects the alleged victim of a sex crime is great, however I also think it should be extended to the accused. Particularly in instances where the evidence boils down to one persons word against the others.

Just the accusation destroys a person reputation, business and often family. There was even a case of a man falsely accused of rape committing suicide.

I think what the police have done in this case is just wrong, surely they could have appealed for possible victims to come forward without naming the accused.

Often in these cases cranks come forward with false claims of being a victim, the police have given them all the information they need to make up a false story. So now if people come forward how do they weed out real victims from the false ones?

Mar 05 16 03:10 pm Link

Photographer

Jim McSmith

Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom

Even if found innocent his reputation is tarnished and it would be difficult to work in that industry again. Many photographers are now shooting with an assistant present to prevent false accusations. Problems with that though are extra costs and privacy while shooting.

Mar 06 16 10:00 am Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

it's unfortunate if this model had a bad experience (i've had some models tell me about theirs). even more unfortunate if her claims are ultimately found to be false or exaggerated or it was just a misunderstanding.

they seem to have a broad definition of sexual assault. if a photographer touched a model without permission (and without sexual intent) could that constitute "grabbing"?

and i agree with those who think these matters should remain private at least until they've had a chance to decide whether the case has merit and whether others are stepping forward with similar stories.

when it comes to he-said, she-said there are only two people who know what happened and they may have a completely different take on what happened. and is it fair to always side with the female? judging from what i read in the media there are definitely some women who make things up (or exaggerate) for various reasons (or maybe they get paid to recant their testimony?)

the Kesha trial is an interesting example of this sort of thing. both sides have a lot to say but what is the truth about what really went down between those two?

Mar 06 16 10:06 am Link

Photographer

QPLLC

Tampa, Florida, US

So why don't more Photographers or Models protect themselves by having someone with them, or video taping the shoot?

Mar 10 16 08:56 am Link

Clothing Designer

CottonCandie

San Francisco, California, US

Typical 1st post is typical.

Police are forever posting the personal info of captured 'suspects'.

Modem mayhem narcissists AHEM, members,  are always so concerned about how they can apply utterly unrelated situations to themselves. Especially anything scandalous.

In conclusion, get it together folks. This too, shall pass.

Mar 10 16 06:22 pm Link

Photographer

Alexandria Georgiades

Sierra Vista, Arizona, US

it still says "alleged".

Mar 10 16 07:10 pm Link

Model

Cayley Jay

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

CottonCandie wrote:
Typical 1st post is typical.

Police are forever posting the personal info of captured 'suspects'.

Modem mayhem narcissists AHEM, members,  are always so concerned about how they can apply utterly unrelated situations to themselves. Especially anything scandalous.

In conclusion, get it together folks. This too, shall pass.

Are you  effing kidding me?? This is relevant, to all of us.

Apr 15 16 02:08 pm Link

Model

Cayley Jay

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Four more women (models) have come forward, including a (then) 15 year old.

https://nowtoronto.com/music/king-west- … l-assault/

Apr 15 16 02:12 pm Link

Filmmaker

Sean Michael Foster

Odenton, Maryland, US

I've met someone that raped a lot of people.
It started with one person coming forward.

Then publishing his photo and asking for other potential victims to file a report.
If it was never made public knowledge the guy might still be free to go around raping people.

Six accusers is a whole lot more damning than a single person and very rarely does anyone get caught on their first crime!

Apr 15 16 03:00 pm Link

Photographer

ddtphoto

Chicago, Illinois, US

Article says he is "King West party promoter and photographer". To me it just sounds like he's some d'bag club guy working the room.

Apr 15 16 03:27 pm Link